• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

China officially commissions first aircraft carrier

Status
Not open for further replies.
DALIAN, Sept. 25 (Xinhua) -- China's first aircraft carrier was delivered and commissioned to the People's Liberation Army (PLA) Navy Tuesday after years of refitting and sea trials.

Overseen by President Hu Jintao and Premier Wen Jiabao, the carrier was officially handed over by the navy's main contractor, the China Shipbuilding Industry Corporation, at a ceremony held at a naval base in northeast China's port city of Dalian. President Hu, also chairman of the Central Military Commission (CMC), endorsed a PLA flag and naming certificate to Senior Captain Zhang Zheng, commanding officer of China's first carrier, the Liaoning.

"Today will be forever remembered as China's Navy has entered an era of aircraft carrier," Zhang told Xinhua on the carrier's flight deck.

"When I received the PLA flag from the President, a strong sense of duty and commitment welled up in my heart," said Zhang who has served as commanding officer on the Navy's frigate and destroyer.

The carrier, rebuilt from the Soviet ship Varyag, was renamed "Liaoning" and underwent years of refitting efforts to install engines, weapons, as well as a year-long sea trial.

According to Mei Wen, political commissar of the carrier, the Liaoning will be operated by a well-educated and trained crew, as more than 98 percent of the commissioned officers on board hold bachelor degrees and more than 50 of them hold master or doctoral degrees.

Most of the carrier's commissioned and non-commissioned officers were selected and transferred from the Navy's other surface vessels through tough competition. Female sailors also serve at various posts on the Liaoning.

The Navy did not disclose any type of carrier-borne aircraft deployed on the Liaoning. But one maintenance officer in charge of the carrier's air wing said they would deal with engine noise and jet blast heat.

"The delivery and commission of the Liaoning is just a small step of China's aircraft carrier program and there is a long way to go before we have a powerful navy," said the commanding officer.

The delivery made China the tenth country and the last one of the five permanent members of the U.N. Security Council to have an aircraft carrier in active service.

An aircraft carrier has long been expected to join China's naval fleet to better protect territorial waters and overseas maritime interests.

Premier Wen said, in reading off a congratulatory letter sent from top central authorities, that China's first aircraft carrier in active service will "be of great and far-reaching significance in inspiring patriotism, national spirit and driving national defense technologies."

"The PLA's General Armament Department, the Navy and all comrades participating in the carrier program should make new contributions in promoting China's weaponry construction and safeguarding national sovereignty, security and territorial integrity," Wen said.

"The country and the people appreciate (the efforts of) all participants in the aircraft carrier program," Wen said. After the commission ceremony, President Hu boarded the Liaoning, which was in full dress, and inspected the Navy's honor guard.

President Hu expressed his appreciation for the construction of the Liaoning and ordered the Navy and relevant research institutes to keep up their good work.

The president and the premier later came to the carrier's flight deck and some cabins where they talked with sailors, and scientists and engineers who developed the carrier.

"Developing an aircraft carrier was an important strategic decision made by the Communist Party of China (CPC) Central Committee, the State Council and the Central Military Commission," Wen said.

"It will also be of great significance in enhancing national defense power and the country's comprehensive strength," he said.

"The delivery and commission of the first carrier is a milestone in the PLA's history and embodies a major achievement of China's weaponry and equipment development, as well as its national defense modernization," Wen said.

Yin Zhuo, an information expert in the PLA Navy, said the carrier will not change the defensive nature of China's defense force.

"In modern warfare, small and medium-sized warships are increasingly insufficient to organize active defense for China with an increased strategic depth," said Cao Weidong, a researcher with the PLA Navy's military academic research institute.

"An aircraft carrier will give the Navy defense capacity far beyond land-based aviation force's combat radius," said Fang Bing, an associated professor with the PLA's National Defense University.

As a weapon, an aircraft carrier can be used for both defense and offense, and it can also be used for humanitarian purposes, Fang said. He added that during the World War II, aircraft carrier groups were used for the purpose of invasion by the Japanese, but for anti-invasion warfare by the allied forces.

The delivery and commission ceremony came on the same day when the Chinese government released a white paper on the Diaoyu Islands which asserts the islands in the East China Sea "an inherent territory of China".

Fang said he did not believe that the commission of the Liaoning was specifically related to China's current dispute with Japan over the Diaoyu Islands. But he said China has zero tolerance to foreign infringement of the country's territorial waters, with or without an aircraft carrier. According to the CMC, after being commissioned to the Navy, the Liaoning will continue to serve for scientific research purposes, as well as military training.

Hu and Wen were accompanied by CMC Vice Chairmen Guo Boxiong and Xu Caihou, as well as State Council Secretary-General Ma Kai, director of the PLA's General Armament Department Chang Wanquan and Navy Commander Wu Shengli.

China announced its aircraft carrier program in July 2011, when the carrier was berthed in Dalian for refitting. Dalian is located at the south end of Liaoning Province.

Source

289VY.png

ub6iM.png

0rB4s.jpg

cJG13.png

h3ajC.jpg

cAGsA.png

dzfiX.png

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
From the looks of the flat top it seems to support jets with vertical take off capabilities. I also didn't see any type of catipult system.

DBT85

I was going to say here come the USA chest beating chants, but I see I'm too late.

Once they work out what they are doing they'll churn out plenty of ships to rival the Nimitz class, be sure of that.

They'll uses this as their test bed for technologies and training and eventually they'll start building their own from scratch. Will the US enter into another arms race if China start building 40 ships this size and the fleets to go with it?

I can imagine the US Navy's reaction:

"The Chinese just commissioned a refurbished old Carrier a fraction of the size of one of our 10. We now need at least 5 more to ensure we don't fall behind."

Fox Mulder

They may have got a hand me down from Russia, but they also spend a fraction of what the US does on defense.

This will still allow them to wield more power in the region, which is all they really need it for.

Jackpot

Banned
Ordinarily I would be "meh", but with the island dispute with Japan it's awfully good timing for an increase of naval force.

I can imagine the US Navy's reaction:

"The Chinese just commissioned a refurbished old Carrier a fraction of the size of one of our 10. We now need at least 5 more to ensure we don't fall behind."

It's almost the same size as a Nimitz class carrier.

I was going to say here come the USA chest beating chants, but I see I'm too late.

Once they work out what they are doing they'll churn out plenty of ships to rival the Nimitz class, be sure of that.

They'll uses this as their test bed for technologies and training and eventually they'll start building their own from scratch. Will the US enter into another arms race if China start building 40 ships this size and the fleets to go with it?

Not if they only use stock footage from Top Gun.

Call me when they can sink a nuclear submarine or carrier.

The USN would manhandle this without breaking a sweat.

Thai

Bane was better.
According to Mei Wen, political commissar of the carrier, the Liaoning will be operated by a well-educated and trained crew, as more than 98 percent of the commissioned officers on board hold bachelor degrees and more than 50 of them hold master or doctoral degrees.

That's cool and all but what's the point of staffing a warship with a bunch of academics?

The Ford class will be well in production by that time.

Haha. Its not really funny, just sooooooooooo different to what you get on an American carrier's mess deck.

Reminds me of a location in a survival horror game for some reason, like the old RE/DC ones with the hand drawn backgrounds...something about the way the picture looks.

Can someone shop Leon or Chris in there? lol

Hari Seldon

This is not about fighting the US, this is about projecting power to 3rd world countries that only powers with a legit Navy can do.

Aircraft Carriers per Country
Code:
Country	In service
 United States	11
 Spain	2
 Italy	2
 United Kingdom	1
 France	1
 Russia	1
 India	1
 Brazil	1
 Thailand	1
 China	1
 Japan	0
 Canada	0
 Australia	0
 Argentina	0
 Netherlands	0
 Germany	0

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_aircraft_carriers_by_country

Why not reduce the number of US carrier to like 6?
They'd still have three times or more aircraftcarriers than everyone else, but the savings of not having to run the remaining 5 ones could be put towards implementing public healthcare (or given to NASA).

Chairhome

They'd still have three times or more aircraftcarriers than everyone else, but the savings of not having to run the remaining 5 ones could be put towards implementing public healthcare (or given to NASA).

Probably because they can't teleport around the world if needed.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member

LOL! Aren't you adorable.

Hari Seldon

I don't see either political party with much of an isolationist streak, and unless we are going to become a lot more isolationist we need more carriers not less. You can't keep the same world police mission and then reduce the number of carriers. You have to reduce the mission first.

Innovation does flourish in times of war. I would welcome a second space race even if it was predicated on military pissing matches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom