• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

China officially commissions first aircraft carrier

Status
Not open for further replies.

SUPREME1

Banned
Why not reduce the number of US carrier to like 6?
They'd still have three times or more aircraftcarriers than everyone else, but the savings of not having to run the remaining 5 ones could be put towards implementing public healthcare (or given to NASA).

Who let the hippie in?

Someone delouse him and explain to him that the US's ability to project power across the globe relies on the ability to have carriers... around the globe. Not to mention that there will always be one or two, or even three, that are not deployed at any given moment. Having 5 total, with two of them being worked on leaves 3. THAT'S JUST NOT ACCEPTABLE.

I don't see either political party with much of an isolationist streak, and unless we are going to become a lot more isolationist we need more carriers not less. You can't keep the same world police mission and then reduce the number of carriers. You have to reduce the mission first.

Oh I agree, but Democrats would be more likely to reduce that mission than Republicans. Not that I find reducing our sphere of influence an intelligent thing to do in our current volatile world, but perhaps in a brighter, more peaceful future?

No, that's not an actual answer in this instance.

Tell a Republican you want to cut the defense budget by even 1%, they'll shoot you where you stand.

Who let the hippie in?

Someone delouse him and explain to him that the US's ability to project power across the globe relies on the ability to have carriers... around the globe. Not to mention that there will always be one or two, or even three, that are not deployed at any given moment. Having 5 total, with two of them being worked on leaves 3. THAT'S JUST NOT ACCEPTABLE.

Maybe the US shouldn't be projecting power across the globe :(

They'd still have three times or more aircraftcarriers than everyone else, but the savings of not having to run the remaining 5 ones could be put towards implementing public healthcare (or given to NASA).

Oh god I just want to pinch your cheeks.

knitoe

You need to rotate them. Not all can be used at the same time. After they come back from a deployment, it takes months to get them ready again. Plus, the world is huge and 6 won't be enough. Today, alone, we have 2 carrier groups all the time in the middle east.

USA has already developed countermeasures for said missile.

Come on now, we aren't going to let our multi-billion dollar pieces of floating American soil get taken down by some POS Chinese missile.

Lol. I love it. Everyone keeps thinking the Chinese are just a bunch of dumbfucks.

Hopefully the Pentagon aren't that stupid.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member

Actually, both parties highly endorse military government spending. The military industrial complex has some of the most powerful lobbiests, with politicians from both sides of the isles in their back pockets. They pay considerable amounts every year to their re-election campaigns. Also, jobs.

We already have countermeasures for that. Further more, even in the unlikely chance we didn't how the hell would they test it? They'd risk war, one they'd assuredly lose.

.....You truly have no idea how "Power Projection" works, no why we have them in the first place don't you?

It's pretty at least. LoL.

But honestly, China is investing a lot in their military. This is not good.

They've also got millions of peasants finally coming to the realization that not everyone can drive an Audi, an economic housing bubble of their own just waiting to burst, and corruption deeper and blacker than a Sith Lord's heart.

nib95

Banned
Lol. I love it. Everyone keeps thinking the Chinese are just a bunch of dumbfucks.

If Iran can take down an extremely costly Drone or a militia man can take out a stealth bomber with a missile launcher....you just never know.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson

What did I say? I said we developed countermeasures. The Pentagon isn't stupid at all. That's a 10+ Billion dollar piece of equipment, with a shit ton of lives and additional equipment on board at stake, not even considering the strategic implications.

If the Pentagon senses a potential threat to its carriers, it will rapidly devote millions in R&D to countering said threat. By the time the press is reporting it, you can be damn well sure someone there is working on it.

These boats are surrounding by battle groups at all times, and their locations are top secret for a reason - they are absolutely key to the strategic projection of power. They are the piece you keep surrounded and defended at all time, and the Pentagon isn't about to let some remote launch cheap missile system wipe out a carrier.

Fox Mulder

Boo this man...

Some people were actually a little upset when there was a college basketball game played on a carrier. Obama wasting our ships! You got to project power by having thousands more nukes than everyone and more carriers than the whole world.

If Iran can take down an extremely costly Drone or a militia man can take out a stealth bomber with a missile launcher....you just never know.

You're confusing PR ability with war fighting capability. Iran took down one drone...how many other times do we violate their airspace and they do nothing? I don't think America would freak out over that...now a carrier would be something else. I agree, but it's one of the few military items that would. It's possible it would also enrage the living fuck out of most Americans as opposed to a chastening effect.

But for me, it was just Thursday

17448-194167-itwastuesdaypng-620x.jpg

SUPREME1

Banned
Maybe the US shouldn't be projecting power across the globe :(

That's a nice thought. But it's not going to suddenly stop.

Also, China is getting ready to try their hand at doing just that (projecting their power)... which probably not something the world would rather have.

US carriers are the only reason why places like Taiwan are free. Why Japan and SKorea know the US really does have their back.

nib95

Banned
Boo this man...

Some people were actually a little upset when there was a college basketball game played on a carrier. Obama wasting our ships! You got to project power by having thousands more nukes than everyone and more carriers than the whole world.

And this is partly why America is suffering. Too busy comparing penis size to remember to put food on the table.

Cut military spend by a healthy margin and put those funds towards healthcare and social services imo.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
We already have countermeasures for that. Further more, even in the unlikely chance we didn't how the hell would they test it? They'd risk war, one they'd assuredly lose.

We may have countermeasures, but never underestimate a potential adversary.

Atrus

Gold Member

The Chinese are not innovators and so long as they continue to suppress speech, personal liberties and enforce state ideologies, then they limit the critical thinking of their people.

It would be like expecting a theocracy to be a technological powerhouse. The Chinese can adapt to existing technology by way of stealing them or reverse engineering them, but they're still a loser when it comes to innovating.

The biggest threat to US military supremacy is their own failing education standards as compared to other Western nations.

You need thinkers to develop technologies capable of rendering your old ones, and the ones mimicked by others, obsolete.

Hari Seldon

The article didn't say, but surely that is not a nuclear powered carrier right? That makes a big difference in the range of the carrier. China doesn't exactly have naval bases around the globe.

milanbaros

Member?
Does anyone have a graph comparing US and China defence spending over the past 10 years or so?

Edit: The official budget has increased 5 fold in 10 years in China.

What did I say? I said we developed countermeasures. The Pentagon isn't stupid at all. That's a 10+ Billion dollar piece of equipment, with a shit ton of lives and additional equipment on board at stake, not even considering the strategic implications.

If the Pentagon senses a potential threat to its carriers, it will rapidly devote millions in R&D to countering said threat. By the time the press is reporting it, you can be damn well sure someone there is working on it.

These boats are surrounding by battle groups at all times, and their locations are top secret for a reason - they are absolutely key to the strategic projection of power. They are the piece you keep surrounded and defended at all time, and the Pentagon isn't about to let some remote launch cheap missile system wipe out a carrier.

Not to mention that carriers ALWAYS have submarines under the ocean guarding them at all times.

The only way to sink a US carrier is a to strike it with a nuclear missile killing it and the battle groups around it.

And we all know how THAT scenario, if it happen, would go down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom