• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chip shortages will never end.

samoilaaa

people thinking that this is the end are probably young , this isnt the first time happening , this isnt the first time pc components are this expensive , those that are a little older remember how expensive was a high end pc at mid 90's- early 00's , but things started to get better

jakinov

Are you ready for this new world without owning what you want and getting it fast ?

For sure, this will never end. Why ? Because the world changing and all of that is desired politically.

You want the next switch 2 ? You gonna wait for it in a waiting list. That the future... Sad but that what we gonna get... Face of this industry will change forever, they will force Streaming, that gonna be our only way to consume video game in the future because politics want that.

Sad Lonely GIF by Pokémon
Why would politics want that? Goverments are pouiring billions of dollars to build factories around the world to create chips. It just takes a lot of time to train people and to build the machines and figure out the logistics. Throwing money at the problems also don't make things go faster either. Some things just take time. Just like how you can't get 9 women to make a baby in a month.

Sophist

people thinking that this is the end are probably young , this isnt the first time happening , this isnt the first time pc components are this expensive , those that are a little older remember how expensive was a high end pc at mid 90's- early 00's , but things started to get better
imagine if most console games where still on cartridges requiring chips. Super Nes games using a special co-processor like Doom were priced at $80 if not more, that would be like $140 today.

Reallink

MS and Nvidia seriously are quartering off a large portion of Series X and 3080 chips to power Xcloud and Geforce now. Its not conspiracy theory.

Fare thee well

Neophyte
F U C K

*dies* * also those were my last words, and yes I typed it after this disclaimer, and any future posts are from an imposter on my account*

Hinedorf

Banned
He's absolutely right which is why I stand by the fact streaming is the future. We live in a world of finite resources, the only folks who don't see streaming as the future are the ones afraid to accept inevitable change to their delicate and clearly naive world.

Last edited:

Tams

If companies adopted apple’s way of shipping shit would not be an issue. Don’t think people would care waiting it’s the not even being able to get an order in that sucks.
'Apple's way' is to be the biggest buyer and buy up a significant chunk of the capacity. And even that's not working for them anymore.

Damn, at least have in inkling about what you are commenting on.

samoilaaa

He's absolutely right which is why I stand by the fact streaming is the future. We live in a world of finite resources, the only folks who don't see streaming as the future are the ones afraid to accept inevitable change to their delicate and clearly naive world.
but streaming also needs those finite resources , or do you think that streaming just magically happens?

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
The boat getting stuck would be a supply line issue. Many supply line companies aren't automated, and they were shut down from Covid. I fully believe that if Covid had not happened, we would not be in this situation.
That's up to debate, but I been seeing warnings about issues with chips in 2019. Covid probably made it worse, however definitely not caused it on it's own.

Previouly, only PC and gaming consoles need chips

Now, everything runs on chips, from your cars, refrigerators, TV, smart home devices, sports equipment, phones, tablets, stupid crypto miners!!, etc

So it's not that there's chip shortages, but now everyone and everything need it

Last edited:

celsowmbr

Banned
But seriously, it will take few years before a factory is finished and start producing chips.

production is schedule for 2024, if there’s delays, we might go in 2025.
But if Xi Jinping invades Taiwan before that, well...

Last edited:

ManaByte

But seriously, it will take few years before a factory is finished and start producing chips.

production is schedule for 2024, if there’s delays, we might go in 2025.

They're also building one in Arizona that's going to open this year.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
The supply chains for chips are all out of whack right now, for a host of reasons, and it will take 12-18 months for the industry to fully dig their way out of it. This is true. There will be some pain felt in certain sectors for a little bit.

But in reality, as long as a consumer can order what they want and it is delivered... to that consumer there is no chip shortage. Conversely, when a consumer wants something and wants it badly, but it is out of stock due to critical parts shortages.. these same consumers tend to get indignant about it and start to spread FUD about shortages. It's human nature.

This WILL sort itself out, but it will be sometime in 2022 when things settle down again. 2023, everything will be back to "normal"
Trust me and screencap this post.

giphy_d927b9e599e3dcf8132bbfb2bd82bd48c7be383c.gif

Last edited:

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
I think it's the shortages combined with the scalping. If the scalping went away it would be less of a problem.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
wtf do you think streaming is ?
The hardware is still there, just in the rack in some big ass warehouse.
Buy everything, Own nothing...

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
The supply chains for chips are all out of whack right now, for a host of reasons, and it will take 12-18 months for the industry to fully dig their way out of it. This is true. There will be some pain felt in certain sectors for a little bit.

But in reality, as long as a consumer can order what they want and it is delivered... to that consumer there is no chip shortage. Conversely, when a consumer wants something and wants it badly, but it is out of stock due to critical parts shortages.. these same consumers tend to get indignant about it and start to spread FUD about shortages. It's human nature.

This WILL sort itself out, but it will be sometime in 2022 when things settle down again. 2023, everything will be back to "normal"
Trust me and screencap this post.

giphy_d927b9e599e3dcf8132bbfb2bd82bd48c7be383c.gif
400350000.jpg

DerFuggler

I don't know about forced streaming. I think most of us would exclusively stick to retro gaming at that point. The chip shortage is probably here to stay but this is just like the ammo shortage. Yes, the ammo shortage. IRL bullets.

Hear me out: It's the ass-end of 2008. GW Bush is living out the last few days of his White House residency and new guy is moving in January 20th. The new guy's been busting out some real hot takes about 2A restrictions and then there was also some things about other stuff happening that were also very unusual to the point of almost causing some to question things otherwise. Also, I've gotten into the rum again. What was the point? Think about it.

Happy New Year!

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Yeah. This just proves that price does not matter.
There is no reason why nvidia should ever sell 4080,5080 and so on for 700usd like they planned for 3080.
All the stock will disappear in 2 minutes no matter the price. This is sadly proven in last 2 years.
Sadly I believe this to be true. You might see a token decrease in prices but by nothing significant.

I have yet to hear a good argument from someone on why companies would lower the price considering they sell out instantly right now. Besides consumer cards are child's play for them compared to businesses.

Woopah

MS and Nvidia seriously are quartering off a large portion of Series X and 3080 chips to power Xcloud and Geforce now. Its not conspiracy theory.
That streaming is growing is not a conspiracy theory.

To say this growth is due to an "epidemic society" created as part of a new world order, that's a conspiracy theory.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
'Apple's way' is to be the biggest buyer and buy up a significant chunk of the capacity. And even that's not working for them anymore.

Damn, at least have in inkling about what you are commenting on.

I ment there order system. You can order out of stock products months out from when they will have them back and wait.

If you think ms/Sony/nvida do the same shit as apple on the chip front then I got some swamp land in Florida to sell ya.

Last edited:
We're probably 5-10 years out from relieving the pressure that we currently see. Intel, TSMC, Samsung, and Global Foundries all have planned expansions on the books, till then. Dang Crypto! It's the proverbial sword of Damocles!

Holammer

If it drags on, companies will adapt. Redesign upcoming games as crossgen titles and release on more platforms.
Like how the Famicom Disk System was a response to the then ongoing chip shortage.

Barakov

Are you ready for this new world without owning what you want and getting it fast ?

For sure, this will never end. Why ? Because the world changing and all of that is desired politically.

You want the next switch 2 ? You gonna wait for it in a waiting list. That the future... Sad but that what we gonna get... Face of this industry will change forever, they will force Streaming, that gonna be our only way to consume video game in the future because politics want that.

Sad Lonely GIF by Pokémon
Jonathan Pryce GIF by James Bond 007

Nah. Those that want the goods will find the goods. Streaming can go fuck itself.

SteadyEvo

Chip shortage sucks but the forced streaming stuff?
That’s life. Ownership is an illusion. Everything is borrowed.

That said, I’ve told my family to bury me with my tv and consoles. I’ll have all the time in the world to game in the afterlife.

Last edited:

raduque

That's not a result of Covid though. Things like Netflix and Uber were big way before then. Their rise is a direct result of capitalism, not the pandemic or a new world order.
That wasn't in reference to the covid supply chain issues, it was in response to the person I quoted saying "no worldwide new world order political movement" happenning.

Consider me an optimist. I believe the chip shortage will end one day. Keep yo negativity in the 5 o clock news.

Consider how fast years go by. It will be over before you know it and you will have something new to complain about.

Negativity sells.

Fare thee well

Neophyte
Consider me an optimist. I believe the chip shortage will end one day. Keep yo negativity in the 5 o clock news.

Consider how fast years go by. It will be over before you know it and you will have something new to complain about.

Negativity sells.
Agreed, especially with your sentiment.

Not to mention that few have ever been able to predict the future of anything, letalone tech trends. We want ownership over the future, but no one is its master. Maybe GPUs or computers as we know them become obsolete. Who even knows.

Agreed, especially with your sentiment.

Not to mention that few have ever been able to predict the future of anything, letalone tech trends. We want ownership over the future, but no one is its master. Maybe GPUs or computers as we know them become obsolete. Who even knows.
Thank you for agreeing.

Yeah it amazes me how people like Michael Patcher can be paid to predict video games stuff. Hes wrong most of the time. My favorite was when he said "Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony's last consoles will be the PS3, 360, and Wii. Then they will exit the games business" Dude had no idea or no evidence to support his "Predictions". The amount of money Sony and Nintendo make alone shows they aren't quitting.

So your right its very hard to predict the future of anything. With quantum computing already a thing. Who knows if they will cross over to be common consumer products. Every year there is new technology.

Thaedolus

A new world is coming with "epidemic" society. Are you blind ?
Oh Jesus. Bro, the demand is clearly there, the supply will come back soon enough. Companies want dollars.

Sad you’re frustrated with the current state of things but you don’t need to go making up shit to understand it, it’s not that complicated

Top Bottom