• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chip shortages will never end.

They will. Most of the shortage is 1/3 of the only die factories caught on fire. There's hundreds of ship worth of chips sitting in bays.

And yet here we are, with no real plans to actually address these supply chain issues by the government nor any meaningful action. This isn't simply a story of overloaded ports, nor chip shortages, there are elements at play that are beyond our comprehension. There are interests that want these supply chain issues to persist, whether that be to scam governments out of money, continue the FOMO retail market, and/or change the very economic systems to push agendas
The 21st century economy is a parasitic creature filled with inexplicable financial systems that profit from the destruction of corporations, peoples, and even nations. Every recession is an opportunity to exploit desperation and bleed the world further and further.

Ezquimacore

Banned
Because hes right, everything is forever changed and fucked permanantley. There will never be a normal ever again. scalpers won, covid won, we are forever fucked. The world is fucked. Some days i wonder if its even fucking worth it, this shit fucking world we live in now. Crypto won, nft’s won, corprations and rich fucks got their unregulated market. Fuck everything, fuck this shit fucking world
Time to do a Johnny Silverhand

DragonNCM

The truth is Sony & MS sends 10 PS5 & 10 XSX to stores & rest 100 to scalpers for more profit:messenger_grinning_smiling:

Last edited:
Why would politics want that? Goverments are pouiring billions of dollars to build factories around the world to create chips. It just takes a lot of time to train people and to build the machines and figure out the logistics. Throwing money at the problems also don't make things go faster either. Some things just take time. Just like how you can't get 9 women to make a baby in a month.
Governments are pouring billions into companies hoping that they will build the factories to create chips. We are supposed to trust corporations like Intel, notorious for job offshoring, to use the billions in subsidies to build factories domestically in America? If you believe that these billion dollar projects won't end in either A) complete and utter failure that will be brushed under the rug by governments or B) complete offshoring of those subsidies to build factories in countries like China instead of America, then you are a complete and utter fool.

One only has to look at the Obama Era clean energy program that gave billions in subsidies to various corporations, most notoriously Solyndra, with vary minimal return on investment.
https://www.bostonherald.com/2019/03/27/obamas-green-new-deal-was-a-billion-dollar-bust/

Few corporations have any sense of honor or loyalty to their nation out of their own free will, and will continue to exploit governments such as the US government. Billions of taxpayer funds will be wasted with very little to say for it.

Last edited:

UnNamed

Banned
I frankly don't care.

Sometimes I think I own things I don't really need. I don't need the next smartphone or the next fancy console or the new brightful TV. I like them but I don't need them.

For me, this shortage is not a problem, it's a liberation.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Once Covid has evolved into a regular cold
I don't see that automatically happening. There seems to be little will for developed nations to make vaccines available to poorer countries, which will mean more mutations will take place and they'll end up arriving wherever you are, and then a new vaccine will be developed and on and on.

adamosmaki

It will end . New fabs are been build and multi billion companies especially car companies are taking huge losses thanks to the shortage so i m sure they will push on to resolve the issue. Surely the likes of Toyota VW etc will not stand and do nothing about it

For national security (military) reasons, the U.S. government heavily subsidizes certain chip manufacturing activities in the U.S.

If the shortage gets bad enough, the military will just get congress to further subsidize domestic production.

Edit:
Intel is currently asking for a $52 billion subsidy “down payment” on a new U.S. facility. They had subsidies in the past, too. TSMC, if I remember correctly, got $12 billion to build a plant in Arizona.

Some chips are still made in the U.S. I suspect these shortages will cause more subsidies and factories - as I said - primarily for national security reasons.

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
I mean pharmaceuticals are making billions so the longer this pandemic lasts the better for them and the countries profiting from it. The biggest country being the US.

Rudius

Its in companies best interests to have more chips so I think capitalism will prevail.

eBdhIJe.gif
That is my hope as well.

Fredrik

I don't see that automatically happening. There seems to be little will for developed nations to make vaccines available to poorer countries, which will mean more mutations will take place and they'll end up arriving wherever you are, and then a new vaccine will be developed and on and on.
Thoughtful comment. Poor countries (and anti-vaxxers) will struggle, no doubt. But over time I think the virus will evolve to be more contagious but less severe. I doubt these yearly lock-downs is still happening 2 years from now.

For national security (military) reasons, the U.S. government heavily subsidizes certain chip manufacturing activities in the U.S.

If the shortage gets bad enough, the military will just get congress to further subsidize domestic production.

Edit:
Intel is currently asking for a $52 billion subsidy “down payment” on a new U.S. facility. They had subsidies in the past, too. TSMC, if I remember correctly, got $12 billion to build a plant in Arizona.

Some chips are still made in the U.S. I suspect these shortages will cause more subsidies and factories - as I said - primarily for national security reasons.
Like Intel cares about upholding US national security. Intel is scamming the federal government. They will take the $52 billion subsidy, start planning construction of a factory in Arizona, claim that they can’t create chips in Arizona because of insufficient water supply (and climate change), then shut down all production facilities in Arizona to be offshored overseas to China. Meanwhile, shareholders and executives will pocket the remaining 10s of billions.

i kinda agree because i think this current shortage is only a taste of things to come. i do think by 2024/25 it will be back to something close to normal but there is likely a significantly more severe shortage coming and i mean it'll be so bad that getting hold of the latest console/gpu will be the very least of your worries. right now it's only inconvenient that you can't get the new latest tech such as a PS5 or an RTX 3080 without waiting a while and/or spending more than normal. the upcoming shortage will probably be so bad it will affect our standards of living (food, health, money, etc) and could last decades. it won't be a case of "Oh we can't make these fast enough!" it will be "shit we can't even make the machines to build this stuff!" and it will hit businesses, banks, hospitals, governments, etc. if we're lucky we might not experience it for another 15 years but could be as soon as 2030 which is now only 8 years away.

Last edited:

Woopah

That wasn't in reference to the covid supply chain issues, it was in response to the person I quoted saying "no worldwide new world order political movement" happenning.
But how is the WEF 2030 prediction video made in 2016 proof of a new world order? Organisations make predictions all the time, and given current trends I don't think the rise in the circular economy is an outlandish prediction.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
Tough times create tough men. Tough men create peace time. Peace time creates weak men. Weak men create tough times.

That is how economics is. People wants profit. You want profit. I want profit. everyone wants profit.

We have people who sell disc games, way more than 60$, because they want to make profit. Companies are the some too

The real problem however, is human population. In the past, we were small, so every price was cheap. Now, there are alot of people. This means business is booming. More customers, more money, more production. Once the production slows down, you get angry people, who wants their products.

And as for console production, you have more than 400m gamers. You can't satisfy them. People who have the money, will buy these expensive stuff, because they simply have the money.

I can't get a 300$ quest 2. A 300$, is nothing to these people. They spend $1000 on a chair. How do you expect to compete these guys. they are the one who ruins the market for us.

Its not an agenda. Its the rich people, who make buying shit harder.

Couple years ago, phones were sitting at 600$ price tag. Now days, iPhone 13 is at 1200$ price tag. Why, because rich people keep buying it.

FStubbs

Like Intel cares about upholding US national security. Intel is scamming the federal government. They will take the $52 billion subsidy, start planning construction of a factory in Arizona, claim that they can’t create chips in Arizona because of insufficient water supply (and climate change), then shut down all production facilities in Arizona to be offshored overseas to China. Meanwhile, shareholders and executives will pocket the remaining 10s of billions.
Interesting how these companies show absolute loyalty to China.

Banned
Honestly, it seems to me that it's not so much that there are shortages compared to earlier years, and more so that the demand is currently ridiculously high.

Xbox had record sales for the first year of one of their consoles, and the PS5 also sells better than some of the oldee Playstations.

the Switch also still sells like crazy, PC graphics cards sells like crazy due to the resurgence of PC gaming and the popularity of crypto mining.

I think most people assume that the shortages are due to issues with production, and while that is true in some segments, it's way more due to the high demand of almost everything imaginable.

because in a year where both Sony and Microsoft have record sales + Nintendo also having crazy sales numbers... it's pretty clear that these shortages are mostly due to demand rising

Last edited:

jakinov

Governments are pouring billions into companies hoping that they will build the factories to create chips. We are supposed to trust corporations like Intel, notorious for job offshoring, to use the billions in subsidies to build factories domestically in America? If you believe that these billion dollar projects won't end in either A) complete and utter failure that will be brushed under the rug by governments or B) complete offshoring of those subsidies to build factories in countries like China instead of America, then you are a complete and utter fool.

One only has to look at the Obama Era clean energy program that gave billions in subsidies to various corporations, most notoriously Solyndra, with vary minimal return on investment.
https://www.bostonherald.com/2019/03/27/obamas-green-new-deal-was-a-billion-dollar-bust/

Few corporations have any sense of honor or loyalty to their nation out of their own free will, and will continue to exploit governments such as the US government. Billions of taxpayer funds will be wasted with very little to say for it.
Whether it's domestic or not thatm doesn't matter. The point is that capacity is increasing. Intel is a financial interest in increasing capacity no matter what. Whether it's in the US or in China it doens't really matter right. Long term non-Taiwan and Non-china is better and that's arleady happening now too. People are building facotires in the US right now, there's factories in Japan I believe and I dind't look it up but I would assume they are also going to try to expand to India and Vietnam like everyones been trying to do for a while to reduce their reliance on China. Even if in 10 years, they shutodwn the americans ones to open Mexican ones, they likely won't do so it until Mexico ones can take up the capacity that the Americans ones they are buying are doing.

In term of politics, because of the whole not depending on China thing, there's motivation for continous investment here. Clean energy isn't that important (its advancement and investment into it happens without goverment involvement) and just because it's goverment backed it doens't mena a company meant for innovation will actuall innovate. There's no innovation here for expanding chip production for them to go bankrupt, it's just another factory making what all the other factories are making.

Your response to me seems more goverment spending is bad and companies are bad (and will out source) than it is about about chip shortages never ending.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
We should have every single chip maker in front of several Congressional Committees and some questions answered and some methods developed to assure that this sort of supply issue does not happen again! It’s not all the Pandemic; it’s just not planning in advance for events like a Pandemic and really some supplies where getting tight before the pandemic even started!

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
It's amazing they just haven't been able to make enough chips, a perfect situation for scalpers.

skit_data

The truth is Sony & MS sends 10 PS5 & 10 XSX to stores & rest 100 to scalpers for more profit:messenger_grinning_smiling:
That wouldn’t make much economic sense, the big money is made when customers pay for the games and services.

I think its outrageous that the two companies haven’t found a better way to prevent scalping, it hurts them possibly even more than us.

Elios83

Shortages will end since tons of companies are losing billions of revenues because of this and they want this to end.
Basically all the hardware vendors but indirectly many other industries as well, just think about the car manufacturing companies.
The mistake was not investing in chip manufacturing taking for granted that just a few companies in the world like TSMC would be able to satisfy global demand.
It will take a couple of years to build new fabs.
But companies are already moving in that direction.

Fare thee well

Neophyte
Thoughtful comment. Poor countries (and anti-vaxxers) will struggle, no doubt. But over time I think the virus will evolve to be more contagious but less severe. I doubt these yearly lock-downs is still happening 2 years from now.
Yea history has definitely played out that way from what we can study from previous viruses in the covid-like family. How long that takes is the hard question to answer.

Top Bottom