• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chipotle stock dips 3 percent due to negative Twitter reaction to their new queso

Do you want queso?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Fisty

It was good when I had it in one Chipotle (west coast) But it was like powdery or chalky or something another time i had it (east coast). Yeah other places do it way better, and I usually find better/cheaper alternatives anyway. Chipotle has dipped considerably in the last few years

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
"Don't believe the publically available data, believe the data we've privately gathered and don't plan on sharing."

~ Actual quote by Chipotle's Chief Cheese Scientist

It was absolutely terrible. I thought maybe it was a bad batch the first time, gave it one more try and it was worse than before. The second time getting it, while waiting in the line, had another person complaining it was terrible and asked when they were fixing the recipe. Not sure how they screwed it up so bad. Del Taco's queso blanco is way better.

Apt101

"Early market-wide tests showed that about half the people who tried it fiercely disliked it. Since we at Chipotle are fucking idiots, we found this encouraging"

How do you mess up queso? Making a bad queso is like making a bad marinara. You got problems if you can't make it taste good with such a solid ingredient set

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Looking at the ingredient list it's easy to see where they went wrong.

Too much shit in there. Also flour is a better thickener than corn starch for this kind of thing. Basically fry up some onions, peppers and garlic in butter.. add some flour.. make a roux.. add milk.. shredded cheese (cheddar and monterrey jack) and to keep it easy add salsa (let's you skip basically adding all the salsa ingredients).. or some rotel.

Fucking done and delicious.

Tapioca starch, vinegar, dried peppers? Fuck all that noise.

Too much shit in there. Also flour is a better thickener than corn starch for this kind of thing. Basically fry up some onions, peppers and garlic in butter.. add some flour.. make a roux.. add milk.. shredded cheese (cheddar and monterrey jack) and to keep it easy add salsa (let's you skip basically adding all the salsa ingredients).. or some rotel.

Bingo, for a company that once preached no fillers, and simple recipes that taste good, there's no reason for them to use those things in their queso.

Azzurri

They clearly half-assed it.

Qdoba isn't nearly as popular as Chipotle, but they've made their queso the star of the show, and it's dramatically better than Chipotle's.

Qdoba's queso is pretty fucking good.

There is a Qdoba and a chipotle like right next to each other where I live and Chipotle is always packed, and Qdoba is always pretty empty and it blows my mind. Qdoba is 10x better than Chipotle.

Bsigg12

The moment it cools down it gets gritty and sucks. It's fucking weird because if you order it for chips, the top layer is the gritty stuff while there's a pocket of what I believe is a decent queso.

It's no Qdoba Diablo Queso though.

Kthulhu

As a born an raised Texan, I can officially say this is the worst Queso I've ever had. I've never had anything with cheese in it this bland before. You'd be better off melting a Kraft Single over some chips.

"Don't believe the publically available data, believe the data we've privately gathered and don't plan on sharing."

~ Actual quote by Chipotle's Chief Cheese Scientist

I wonder if they used to work for Trump lol

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
No

Queso:
yc7K0BLl.jpg

That kinda reminds me of Torchy's Tacos?

Qdoba's Queso Diablo is really good. The regular stuff there is too bland for my liking.

Zoe

That kinda reminds me of Torchy's Tacos?

Qdoba's Queso Diablo is really good. The regular stuff there is too bland for my liking.

That is in fact Torchy's.

They have the Hillbilly now with chorizo, but I haven't tried it yet.

The compuesto is from Chuy's.

Ashhong

I liked it very much, but haven't tried any others. Thought it had a great taste and loved the texture. I'm getting del taco queso today and will compare lol

Yeah what were they thinking putting red wine vinegar in there?

I just recently had Chipotle this week and I saw their new queso when I went to order and was kinda excited because I thought it could change up the flavor profile a bit, but then I saw a sign saying you gotta pay $ to add queso lulz...

Thanks Chipotle, you actually helped me avoid trying your crappy queso..

How do you mess up queso? Making a bad queso is like making a bad marinara. You got problems if you can't make it taste good with such a solid ingredient set

It seems to be pretty easy to mess up. Pretty much every fast food queso I've tried seems to be terrible. I think Del Taco is the only fast food restaurant I've been to where the queso isn't that bad.

BajiBoxer

Banned

Tapioca starch, vinegar, dried peppers? Fuck all that noise

Damn, I'm no cooking man, but that sounds really unappealing. And the talk of it being gritty... who wants a gritty cheese sauce? Should never have gotten out of the test kitchen.

I won't even try their Queso and I eat Chipotle ALL the time.

I'm the Mayor on Foursquare of my local Chipotle and none can take my crown there and I won't even eat that yellow soup.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
They really blew it. It's shocking that they turn up late to the party with all the time in the world to benchmark everyone, and this is the best they can do. I'm sure they spent a lot of money coming up with this shit, incredible

I won't even try their Queso and I eat Chipotle ALL the time.

I'm the Mayor on Foursquare of my local Chipotle and none can take my crown there and I won't even eat that yellow soup.

It's yellow? Qdoba is my jam, but even if I was somehow forced to eat at a Chipotle, I would never add a yellow queso. Always associated yellow cheese with processed Velveeta...

I nice white cheddar or american is the only acceptable base.

Brakke

Banned
Why is there a social media angle to this story. My dude Noah only cited two Tweets.

This is the easiest fucken story to report, you can literally do it with zero effort over your lunch break. Get off your ass and go talk to humans, Noah.

Zoe

Where the fuck do you eat that gives out free queso? I'm about to become a regular customer.

Freebirds lets you choose shredded cheese or queso. I always end up getting ground beef nachos there.

Though the best free queso is Chuy's queso bar (including pico and meat) during Happy Hour.

AntoneM

liquidy yellow cheese, unless we add "blanco" to the end, in which case it's essentially zesty mayo. sometimes red peppers and other shit scattered in there if you're mega lucky

Maybe on the East Coast. get out of here with that shit.

Queso dip/sauce in the US is a melty cheese (actually cheese) with diced chili pepper and sweet peppers added to it, sparingly.

HariKari

It's pretty nuts how bland it is- odd that it got through preliminary testing

Focus testing tends to produce the most bland thing possible.

I don't know how you fuck up queso. Go to your local mexican or tex mex place, they probably have queso dip as an appetizer. Copy that recipe. Done.

Swass

Their queso is shit. It's really gritty and tastes watered down.

This could describe all of their food. Chipotle use to be soo good, me and my wife would eat there 2 or 3 times a week. But around 2013ish, around the time they jacked their prices up, you can tell execs were looking at cutting costs and corners. Food started getting bland and even more bland. We thought it was just our location, but it sucks everywhere. We don't even eat there anymore unless we get a b1g1 coupon. Crazy how bad they have f'd up and that isn't even taking into account the health issues. Hard to believe this is the same company once considered to have the potential to rival McDonald's.

Qdoba is okay, but there is a flavor in their food that I don't care for. I think right now Cafe Rio is the best, but it's too far to eat there often.

I love Chipotle. Who is going to pay $1.25 for a small amount of mediocre queso?

Let alone 3$ extra for guac and queso. I might as well go to Qdoba.

UberLevi

I'll have to tell my manager this tomorrow, he'll have a laugh. We work at a local burrito place that's essentially a Qdoba that caters to college students (we have beer on tap) since we're located about a hundred feet from campus gates. College kids fucking love our queso.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
It tastes like they started a roux, then just said "alright it's done!" Before they added anything else. It tastes like wet flour basically.

snap

Banned
keep meaning to try this but always forget.

CO/Tucson gaffers, how does this compare to Illegal Pete's queso?

This could describe all of their food. Chipotle use to be soo good, me and my wife would eat there 2 or 3 times a week. But around 2013ish, around the time they jacked their prices up, you can tell execs were looking at cutting costs and corners. Food started getting bland and even more bland. We thought it was just our location, but it sucks everywhere. We don't even eat there anymore unless we get a b1g1 coupon. Crazy how bad they have f'd up and that isn't even taking into account the health issues. Hard to believe this is the same company once considered to have the potential to rival McDonald's.

Qdoba is okay, but there is a flavor in their food that I don't care for. I think right now Cafe Rio is the best, but it's too far to eat there often.

wasn't that also around the time they went GMO-free? maybe to offset the cost of avoiding GMOs they had to settle for lower quality ingredients.

Top Bottom