• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Christmas Day tornado outbreak possible in LA/MS/AL/TX

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
My sisters left to beat out the storm 2 hours ago (they stay in New Orleans)
I'm in Lafayette and it's pretty dark outside. I have a friend up in Alexandria, so I'll probably give him a call.

Omg another lafayette gaffer finally!
What part of the city?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Alright, managed to talk to my sister and the rest of her family. They're all okay, fortunately. They were a bit south of where all the damage occurred. So that's a relief. Back to monitoring the storms!

cajunator

Banned
Lafayette got lucky.
We are right under the area where the air masses converged so the tornadoes formed to our north and east.

Zoe

In Avondale--they kept pushing the watch back, but I think it's over now. Got some heavy rain for a few minutes.

Rayis

In Northwest Houston, nothing happened here, I'm glad, take care all of you who're getting affected, also, damn it, it snowed in Dallas, why can't the fuckin' snow come down here!

HylianTom

Banned
The Causeway is closed, I am told. I can get home to NOLA, but it would take several hours.. stuck here at my sister's house in Covington. :/

Mobile Fire Department scanners said:
Damage "too much ... too overwhelming"

You can listen to the scanner here.

EDIT:

WALA-TV said:
tornado_20121225170759_640_480.JPG

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Not sure if that particular section is bringing the tornado's (that's south of here) but it's just the thickest band of red and yellow of the storm, with hurricane level gusts (60-80 mph) that doesn't sound like a holly jolly christmas.

zAXin.jpg

Mobile...

ido

Jackson, MS here. We got really lucky.

Good luck to you AL GAFers getting this terrible storm right now.

Insane Metal

Gold Member
I find it weird how 'normal' it is for tornadoes to hit the US. I live in Brazil and we have quite a fucked up climate here too (many heavy storms every year, specially in the southern region) but tornadoes are rare here.

Ploid 3.0

I'm in the center of that spot in Mississippi. I held off using my expensive electronics because of the constant storming expecting the lights to go out. I stayed in the house all day, and I didn't even know there was a tornado warning like this. Another day in the south, is what it felt like. Big storm with lots of winds. On a normal bright day I had my portable tent shade demolished.

http://i.picpar.com/1760dfed68acc9e7de331ccd1ba15a05ea294360.jpg

I'm in east Texas. Its been raining all day long.

It snowed in the metroplex today. Driving home from one end of the metroplex to the other was a pain in the ass. I'd like to think I can handle myself well enough on icy roads but the jerk who was so close to my bumper, I couldn't see his headlights made the drive a little unnerving.

That said: stay safe Southeastern-GAF

pahamrick

I live just south of Mobile, we got lucky as it was just a lot of wind, rain and a few minutes of nasty hail. Unreal to have another Tornado hit Mobile so soon tho, they just got slammed by one last week.

Raistlin

I find it weird how 'normal' it is for tornadoes to hit the US. I live in Brazil and we have quite a fucked up climate here too (many heavy storms every year, specially in the southern region) but tornadoes are rare here.
Vast areas of the US do not normally have tornadoes. It's a big country.

Looks like the storms are getting more in my neck of the woods soon in coastal South Carolina. Been raining on and off since last night but actually stormed a bit in the last hour. Sounds like the height of it in this area is gonna be anywhere from 11:00 am until 3-4:00 pm. Hopefully they have broken down enough to where there isn't any significant damage or any casualties.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom