• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Christopher Nolan recreated the Trinity nuclear bomb test without CG for Oppenheimer

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
https://variety.com/2022/film/news/...imer-atomic-bomb-explosion-no-vfx-1235457979/

WlRy4PJ.jpg

"
Christopher Nolan revealed to Total Film magazine that he recreated the first nuclear weapon detonation without CGI effects as part of the production for his new movie “Oppenehimer.” The film stars longtime Nolan collaborator Cillian Murphy as J. Robert Oppenheimer, a leading figure of the Manhattan Project and the creation the atomic bomb during World War II. Nolan has always favored practical effects over VFX (he even blew up a real Boeing 747 for “Tenet”), so it’s no surprise he went the practical route when it came time to film a nuclear weapon explosion.

“I think recreating the Trinity test [the first nuclear weapon detonation, in New Mexico] without the use of computer graphics, was a huge challenge to take on,” Nolan said. “Andrew Jackson – my visual effects supervisor, I got him on board early on – was looking at how we could do a lot of the visual elements of the film practically, from representing quantum dynamics and quantum physics to the Trinity test itself, to recreating, with my team, Los Alamos up on a mesa in New Mexico in extraordinary weather, a lot of which was needed for the film, in terms of the very harsh conditions out there – there were huge practical challenges.”

Nolan went on to call “Oppenheimer” a “story of immense scope and scale,” adding, “It’s one of the most challenging projects I’ve ever taken on in terms of the scale of it, and in terms of encountering the breadth of Oppenheimer’s story. There were big, logistical challenges, big practical challenges. But I had an extraordinary crew, and they really stepped up. It will be a while before we’re finished. But certainly as I watch the results come in, and as I’m putting the film together, I’m thrilled with what my team has been able to achieve.”

“Interstellar,” “Dunkirk” and “Tenet” cinematographer Hoyte van Hoytema reunited once again with Nolan for “Oppenehimer,” and the two managed to get IMAX to create a new kind of film stock for them.

“We challenged the people at Kodak photochem to make this work for us,” Nolan said. “And they stepped up. For the first time ever, we were able to shoot IMAX film in black-and-white. And the results were thrilling and extraordinary. As soon as Hoyte [van Hoytema, Nolan cinematographer since Interstellar] and I saw the first tests come in, we just knew that this was a format that we were immediately in love with.”

Universal Pictures is set to open “Oppenheimer” in theaters July 21, 2023.
"

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I don't know that nuclear detonation for filming a movie is a great idea....but I can't wait to see the footage.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I absolutely love the prestige but for me and many people it's Interstellar. Not really a hot take. I've rewatched both countless times.
I think Interstellar is amazing, but when I watch it I just skip the first act and get them to space. I know the first act is setting up the conclusion, but I think it is a little slow at first.

The Prestige is the one film of his that I absolutely hated. I haven’t gone back since that first viewing so I should probably give it another watch.

Definitely give it another go. While I prefer Interstellar the Prestige is still a top top movie in my book.

I think the Music, the raw emotion and the pure scale of Interstellar is why it's probably my favourite movie. The world he created was captivating and Hanz Zimmer tied it all together perfectly.

What wrong with his output?

It's at worst Solid.

Tenet - Solid/Decent
DUNKIRK - REALLY Good but I get how some people wouldn't be fans (Though not everyone has to like a film)
Interstellar - His best work for me. Absolute perfection

Tenet - Prententious Trash
Dunkirk- Only good movie after The Dark Knight
Interstellar- His worst work for me. I was bored during the whole movie

As for Oppenheimer, I'm interested since it looks like a movie he can't easily screw up

Tenet - Prententious Trash
Dunkirk- Only good movie after The Dark Knight
Interstellar- His worst work for me. I was bored during the whole movie

As for Oppenheimer, I'm interested since it looks like a movie he can't easily screw up

In the most respectful way possible I hope he continues to make movies you dislike because clearly we have polar opposite taste :messenger_beaming:

bender

What time is it?
DUNKIRK - REALLY Good but I get how some people wouldn't be fans (Though not everyone has to like a film)

His ideologies, which I mostly appreciate, betrayed this movie as it does a very poor job of representing the scale of this operation.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
i really disliked the prestige in my first viewing. i was expecting magic but i got science.

i now love the movie.
I love science and felt like I got magic out of it. Normally his twists are right up my alley. This one just felt lazy and undeserved to me.

e: Yeah, just read the synopsis on Wiki again and fuck that plot twist. So lazy. Seriosuly, a guy cloning himself in the 1800s? :messenger_sleeping:

Last edited:

Burger

Hmm yet his films are filled with Visual Effects - over half of them are impossible to spot. These bullshit articles saying how great practical effects are while shitting on an entire film crew are insane. Hey that practical real plane he really crashed? Yeah those shots were full of visual effects. That real hallway he spun around in Inception? Yeah painting out all the wires were visual effects.

What a disservice this shit does to vfx artists.

How could anyone handle a movie 9 times in a theater?

Movies I saw in Theaters more than 9 times

The Assassination of Jesse James by The Coward Robert Ford

The Dark Knight

Hellboy

Hellboy The Golden Army

Spider-Man Into The Spiderverse

Logan

Avengers Infinity War/Endgame

Doctor Strange

Doctor Strange Into The Multiverse of Madness

Captain America Civil War

Eternal Sunshine of The Spotless Mind

The Batman

Perks of Being a Wallflower

Whiplash

Coco

Up

Annihilation

Dune

The Green Knight

Brightburn

Children of Men

District 9

Dawn of The Planet Of The Apes

Inglorious Bastards

Django Unchained

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

It’s A Wonderful Day In The Neighborhood

Kong Skull Island

Life of Pi

Lord of War

Me, Earl and The Dying Girl

Magnolia

Midsommer

Moon

Minority Report

Princess Mononoke

Pleasantville

Pan's Labyrinth

Pacific Rim

School of Rock

Stranger Than Fiction

Saving Private Ryan

Sin City

Star Wars Rogue One

Sleepy Hollow

Silver Lining Playbook

Seeking A Friend For The End Of World

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

The Big Sick

The Raid

The Raid 2

There Will Be Blood

The Lego Movie

Wreck-It Ralph

Trick R Treat

American Psycho

Since you asked lol

DKehoe

I love science and felt like I got magic out of it. Normally his twists are right up my alley. This one just felt lazy and undeserved to me.

e: Yeah, just read the synopsis on Wiki again and fuck that plot twist. So lazy. Seriosuly, a guy cloning himself in the 1800s? :messenger_sleeping:
But the whole point is
the sacrifice for the art, not the method. It's someone being willing to do whatever it takes, no matter what that is. Also it's about how we, the audience, don't really want to know how it's done. The enjoyment is in wondering and the revelation detracts from that. The last line of the film is "you don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled."

QSD

For effects to be called 'practical' do they actually have to be practical...? Because I'm sure that generating a CGI mushroom cloud is more practical that whatever they came up with.

Like I'm sure practical effects look better and more tangible in most situations, but doing this IRL instead of CG seems like some kind of too-extreme commitment. I didn't expect anything less from Nolan but I'm sure his talents would be better spent elsewhere.

Last edited:
For effects to be called 'practical' do they actually have to be practical...? Because I'm sure that generating a CGI mushroom cloud is more practical that whatever they came up with.

Like I'm sure practical effects look better and more tangible in most situations, but doing this IRL instead of CG seems like some kind of too-extreme commitment. I didn't expect anything less from Nolan but I'm sure his talents would be better spent elsewhere.

Believe you me there will be some part of the bomb that would be CG. Unless they figured out how to do a mushroom cloud on a smaller scale and then just add CG to make it appear larger than it actually is.

Kinda like this scene in Titanic:
The whole room is actually a really small practical scale model and they added the actors in post. I'm kinda expecting something like this for trinity bomb in Oppenheimer.

engines4.jpg

This is the actual size of that whole engine room:

VCU_Titanic_001.jpg

Last edited:
Movies I saw in Theaters more than 9 times

The Assassination of Jesse James by The Coward Robert Ford

The Dark Knight

Hellboy

Hellboy The Golden Army

Spider-Man Into The Spiderverse

Logan

Avengers Infinity War/Endgame

Doctor Strange

Doctor Strange Into The Multiverse of Madness

Captain America Civil War

Eternal Sunshine of The Spotless Mind

The Batman

Perks of Being a Wallflower

Whiplash

Coco

Up

Annihilation

Dune

The Green Knight

Brightburn

Children of Men

District 9

Dawn of The Planet Of The Apes

Inglorious Bastards

Django Unchained

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

It’s A Wonderful Day In The Neighborhood

Kong Skull Island

Life of Pi

Lord of War

Me, Earl and The Dying Girl

Magnolia

Midsommer

Moon

Minority Report

Princess Mononoke

Pleasantville

Pan's Labyrinth

Pacific Rim

School of Rock

Stranger Than Fiction

Saving Private Ryan

Sin City

Star Wars Rogue One

Sleepy Hollow

Silver Lining Playbook

Seeking A Friend For The End Of World

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

The Big Sick

The Raid

The Raid 2

There Will Be Blood

The Lego Movie

Wreck-It Ralph

Trick R Treat

American Psycho

Since you asked lol
Don’t do weed, kids.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Yeah, that was the part of the film I stopped, thinking I might go back to it, but nah. That shit was monstrous to watch. I think this guy has crossed over into the bad place. Think I'm done with him. A true shame.
…???

Mikado

Gold Member
Believe you me there will be some part of the bomb that would be CG. Unless they figured out how to do a mushroom cloud on a smaller scale and then just add CG to make it appear larger than it actually is.

Kinda like this scene in Titanic:
The whole room is actually a really small practical scale model and they added the actors in post. I'm kinda expecting something like this for trinity bomb in Oppenheimer.

Speaking of Cameron: The atmosphere processor explosion at the end of Aliens was produced practically by pushing like a 5000W cinema bulb through a bunch of cotton batting.

Top Bottom