• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chrono Trigger 2 is unlikely to ever happen, creators say

Draugoth

Gold Member
Chrono-Trigger-Fan-Art-Cover.jpg
Yuji Horii, Hironobu Sakaguchi and Kazuhiko Torishima praised Sea of Stars saying that it is a beautiful game and also looks just like the classic RPG. The news came about as the trio were interviewed and asked whether there was a possibility of Chrono Trigger 2 which they replied that it would be unlikely.

• Horii said “Wow, they did a great job, it looks just like Chrono Trigger… it’s beautiful… that’s great!”
  • Torishima said it was nostalgic
  • Sakaguchi said “Look, its the same!… When I saw it I though they really did their best and did a great job”

Kadve

"we're not so weak nor cheap as to try to make something exactly the same as Trigger ... Accordingly, Chrono Cross is not Chrono Trigger 2. It doesn't simply follow on from Trigger, but is another, different Chrono that interlaces with Trigger.

(Granted this quote is 15 years old but still)

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
Amazing game. I enjoyed it more than Trigger and in top 10 soundtracks of all time territory.

The remaster on PSN is now patched and fixed btw for any on the fence before.

And it's currently on sale on Steam... no. I can't. Backlog too long. Next time.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
And that’s for the best.
It would be pretty much impossible to make something like it even for its original creators.
Sea of Stars may look the part, but it surely doesn’t play the part.

ssringo

Sea of Stars may look the part, but it surely doesn’t play the part.
Truth. When I play Chrono Trigger it's hard to put down. When I played Sea of Stars it was hard to keep going. Funny how the mute Crono had more personality with small animations and musical cues than both of SoS' mains (whose name's I can't even remember).

Hugare

My favorite game of all time (look at my avatar)

I knew this game was special before even understanding basic English. Didnt know shit about what was going on, but something resonated with me.

The intro was already enough to wonder me. Then the prologue, characters, art, soundtrack ...

Getting to the world map and listening "dream of the shore near another world" for the first time was a magical experience. I remember not moving and just listening to it.

That 10/10 from Gamespot gets a lot of shit, but the closing line is perfect: "Chrono Cross may not have had the largest budget, but it has the largest heart."

I'm fine with both Trigger and Cross never having sequels

EDIT: And Sea of Stars is terrible. Cool combat and graphics, but the game script and characters are ass. So vanilla and forgettable.

Last edited:

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
SAKAGUCHIIII GO MAKE A THE LAST STORY SUCCESSOR, IT WAS SO GOOD AND THE COMBAT SYSTEM WHILE FLAWED NEEDS TO BE EXPANDED UPON WITH A GOOD BUDGET PRODUCTION TO SHOW STUPID FUCKING SQUARE HOW JRPG IS DONE.

I think a remaster would be a good start. Monolith has already been putting out quality JRPGs.

I am just annoyed that they went through all the trouble to kill off everyone in Chrono Trigger and destroying every good thing the player did. I can't help but feel they started in a position of Malice. i don't see the point of saving Shala if the playable characters don't even know who she is.

Perhaps the greatest insult is that the game went for quantity of characters rather than quality, and they were so proud of it that they automated the dialogue. Instead of, you know, customizing the characters to say unique things depending on who they are like with CT. CC is one of the last Squaresoft games i ever bought.

it's not that they refuse to make another Chrono Trigger; it is that they literally don't know how any more.

It doesn’t need a sequel, but I’d take a remake with that sexy Octopath hd sprite style.

Is the version on iPhone good? I recently switched over from Android and I noticed it on the App Store. Wouldn’t mind having Chrono Trigger in my pocket, but only if it’s a decent port.

Fbh

It doesn't need a sequel, it was a great standalone adventure.
Maybe a remake someday, I used to think modern Square would screw it up but maybe the team behind DQXI would actually be able to pull it off.

Pimpollo818

CT never clicked for me. I'd like to give it another try in 2024. Loved the music and visuals, but I think it the was the combat that drew me to boredom. Don't remember if it had random encounters.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
I'd rather have a HD-2D remake, to be honest.

Both Chrono and Xeno are both dead IPs at Square Enix.
So, the possibility of getting any new entries is no surprise.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Why do we need a sequel, anyway? It's okay to just be done with a franchise.

Though I would be extremely unsurprised if an HD-2D remake comes out for the 30th anniversary in 2025.

Sentenza

Fine, I'll be the one to say it: Chrono Trigger didn't look anywhere near as good as Sea of Stars when it comes to art/graphics.

You can think it's "100 times better as a game" or whatever, but let's not pretend its visuals were still some incredible, unmatched standard.

Last edited:

conpfreak

We don't need a sequel. But a retelling, something like what is being done with Final Fantasy 7 would be very compelling. Handling time travel and world building with today's technology would be quite interesting.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I am just annoyed that they went through all the trouble to kill off everyone in Chrono Trigger and destroying every good thing the player did. I can't help but feel they started in a position of Malice. i don't see the point of saving Shala if the playable characters don't even know who she is.

Perhaps the greatest insult is that the game went for quantity of characters rather than quality, and they were so proud of it that they automated the dialogue. Instead of, you know, customizing the characters to say unique things depending on who they are like with CT.
I liked that twist in Cross. CT is a perfectly self-contained story with its happy ending. CC plays on it, showing the other side of its shiny coin. Both games are a fantastic creative exercise on the theme of “what if…?”. I don’t think CC shits on CT in any way. They are like two halves of a Sliding Doors game, a playable dissertation on the consequences of playing fate - and with fate. You apparently fix things in CT, only to find out in CC that you also messed up lots of stuff and… to fix it again on a grander scale. CC is a courageous game. You’re still free to not like it, of course.

CC also lets you use your favorite characters without altering the overarching story. Each character is defined by their own sub-story. In the grander scheme of things, though, most of them will end up playing the same part at key moments. I much prefer it this way than having Poshul or Korcha say completely unique lines before the Frozen Flame. That’d be… anticlimactic, to say the least.

Fine, I'll be the one to say it: Chrono Trigger didn't look anywhere near as good as Sea of Stars when it comes to art/graphics.

You can think it's "100 times better as a game" or whatever, but let's not pretend its visuals were still some incredible, unmatched standard.
CT was peak SNES 2D graphics. Only a handful of games did better.

Of course something like SoS looks better in the absolute sense. Pity it doesn’t have much more to it than that.

Metnut

Sure let’s spend tens of millions making Forespoken but not make another Chrono Trigger.

Btw, Chrono Cross sucked (outside of the great soundtrack). Deal with it.

Last edited:
I don’t think anyone expects it to ever happen. But also Chrono Trigger already got a sequel. It’s not really a serious topic, given who owns the rights to the game and Sakaguchi and others are not Square employees and haven’t been for a very long time.

Last edited:

Power Pro

So stupid :messenger_pensive: One of the greatest games ever made? Oh, yeah, we can't have any more entries in that series....

But hey, you can have Call of Duty 23, and Assassin's Creed 27...Hate this industry sometimes.

Edit: At the very least, I wish it would get the Octopath Traveler/Live A Live treatment. It would look amazing with some updated visuals.

Last edited:
Top Bottom