• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chrono Trigger creators were not pleased that the confirm button changed to X to confirm instead of O to confirm for the PS5 in Japan

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
“hey everyone, did you like the characters from Chrono Trigger? You did? Well, guess what? Go fuck yourself, hahaha!!!”
Man Body GIF

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I share this concern. Maybe they should go back to Nintendo

Last edited:

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
I always used O as accept and X as cancel. It has lead to a number of annoying quirks when playing games. But then again, this is typical of Cali-led Playstation thinking America is the center of the world and everyone else should conform to them, instead of allowing options.

Puscifer

Imagine being forced to use easier base 10 units!
The outrage!

Aren't all technical units metric in US already?
Yes but also know it's not exactly common still. I've slowly been converting to in my personal life the past couple years because, damn it's just SO much easier and baking is absolutely tits with metric!

Last edited:

Raven117

Then move the O to the bottom and x to the right.

It’s about the location on the controller and thumb. Not the letter.

Crayon

The original sin was the super nintendo controller. If it had been, clockwise from the top, Y,X,A,B we could have avoided much of this pain.

SenkiDala

Well they should just give the option to people. I mean there's option for basically everything but not this ? Why ?

Quixz

No X is the only button to confirm!

Always annoys me whenever I play games on the Switch, B and A moving!! LOL

FrankWza

In have an import Japan PSP and I'm pretty sure it's got this built into the OS but if you played US UMD it just worked like a US game. It also had a better screen made by Sharp at the time.

Jumping with O in Kingdom Hearts is the most annoying control I’ve experienced in a game lol
The controller remapping on Series S is a godsend for this franchise. Hopping around with A and striking with X is great. Unfortunately the original Kingdom Hearts has a really awkward system for switching targets.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
The controller remapping on Series S is a godsend for this franchise. Hopping around with A and striking with X is great. Unfortunately the original Kingdom Hearts has a really awkward system for switching targets.
Same with ps5…but imagine not being able to remap back then lol

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
I don't know how much you guys know about Japanese controller culture (I'm an expert)
but honor and shame are huge parts of it......

Playstation's westaboo ways have dishonored many PS5 is known as the "Kenichi Smith" of consoles
they must return to to old ways or kiss the console business goodbye

c07.png

Skifi28

So we have 10 tflops, raytracing, 4k, 60 fps, ssd but cant redefine keys?
Pretty sure you can, but on a system level so games will be affected too. If you have an edge, I imagine you can remap and then switch profiles when you enter games.

Then again, this is too serious an answer for something trivial.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I always used O as accept and X as cancel. It has lead to a number of annoying quirks when playing games. But then again, this is typical of Cali-led Playstation thinking America is the center of the world and everyone else should conform to them, instead of allowing options.
They could be NYC led or Washington led or Salt Lake City led or Chicago led or Miami led or Dover led, etc… and the attitude you speak of would still remain.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
It is a bit of an insults to their heritage. Why not just make the world move to circle to accept. Nintendo does it and have stuck to their guns.

But, I get it. The Japanese roots are dying and we are western Sony now.

bitbydeath

They should have switched place of Circle and Cross/X.

Maru = O = OK =⭕🙆‍♂️🙆‍♀️👌✅🆗
Batsu = X = NG = Not Good = Wrong = ❌🆖🙅‍♀️🙅🙅‍. Batsu also means ”punishment”, so being forced to use X to confirm might feel like a punishment for Japanese people

X = 💋 (You’re in!) - Accept
O = :pie_hugging (Friend Zone) - Abort

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
I'm used to x and o from PlayStation. Since I've configured the DS4 as an Xbox controller on Steam, I've also become accustomed to x/ y and a/b. Then I bought a Switch, and everything got mixed up. Instead of dealing with lightning ports, European Union(or whatever) should standardize these buttons.

sigmaZ

Metric is used in science, because of course. Not so much elsewhere, even in engineering. But if we want to be pedantic, US has been metric for ages, because (quoting from Wikipedia) "U.S. customary units have been defined in terms of metric units since the 19th century".
And so has soda and we know how much Americans love their soda pops.

Tams

I'm used to x and o from PlayStation. Since I've configured the DS4 as an Xbox controller on Steam, I've also become accustomed to x/ y and a/b. Then I bought a Switch, and everything got mixed up. Instead of dealing with lightning ports, European Union(or whatever) should standardize these buttons.

no.

jimmypython

yep I don’t understand why Sony would do this…hope they revert back for ps5 pro or ps6. Better yet, give us a customizable setting which will change for the games too

Trilobit

I remember a time when Triangle was the exit button. And then when I returned to Playstation many years later it had changed to Circle. And now people want X to be exit?! Is Square next in line in a few years?!? :0

Top Bottom