• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cinema Paradiso

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe

has anyone else seen this amazing movie? i havent seen it in years but my father just rented it from the library and i watched it and it made me remember how much i loved it and great it was. this movie is easily in my top 3 movie list.

it was made in italy (its subtitled) in 1989. it's the story of a young boy named toto growing up in italy and his tale from boyhood to manhood. it shows his passion for movies and friendships. it's truly amazing. the movie is brilliantly directed and i just dont know what else to say. it'll make you smile, laugh, tear up, its great. i wouldn't say its "artsy" but its definitely NOT a hollywood movie. if you think this might interest you in the slightest go rent it AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. you can thank me later. there's a new directors cut version that i havent seen but its an additional hour and its supposed to be even better than original but some say the new footage makes it drag on and makes its storyline even more complex.

this is a list of awards the movie has won

here's a picture of the movie poster

trailer for the new version (must see!)

AeroGod

Malena is another great movie, same director. Its a bit different but it has the same type of feel. Another great musical score there also. Morricone in general turns everything he touches into gold. He has asome amazing talent.

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
Wasn't there a "director's cut" released semi-recently? I swear I heard something about a new version with extra footage...

way more

I've been meaning to see that director's cut since it was released. My dad showed me this movie when I was like six and I've consistently impressed people by mentioning it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
don't watch the directors cut.

My wife loves this movie, so I bought her the directors cut on DVD last year. It didn't spoil the movie for her, but it went on beyond the natural end point for her, and slowed other bits down too much.

They bought out a combined theatrical/directors cut this year, so I bought that instead

thomaser

ourumov said:
It's the only movie that has made me cry....

Same here :) I saw the extended version last Sunday, and it's just too much at times. The new parts at the end do drag on a bit, and give you a new perspective on both Toto and Alfredo that you might or might not like, but it's still worth spending the extra time to see them. Oh, and the music really is brilliant. Morricone is by far my favorite film-composer at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom