• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cinematography |OT| (Movies/TV)

Last Days in the Desert (2015)

Dir: Rodrigo Garcia DP: Emmanuel Lubezki

jnLwT2.png

jnLXy9.png

jnLx7v.png

‘Top Gun: Maverick’ Director Joseph Kosinski Explains the Crazy New Cameras Used for the Sequel
“The technology that allows filmmaking to be more practical is the stuff I get most excited about. On Top Gun, we worked with Sony to develop an IMAX quality camera that’s about this big. [gestures] And only like 2 inches deep. So we were able to mount six of them inside the cockpit, and four on the outside of the airplane. So in that case, we’re using technology to capture something real, rather than having to create it on a soundstage. So that, for me, was one of the things that I was excited about in jumping into the project in the first place.”

“It’s a 6K camera. So 6,000 pixels wide. It’s a large format sensor, which is bigger than a 35mm sensor. It’s like Cinemascope, I think is the comparable film size. The real technology breakthrough is that the sensor can be separated from the recorder. When you’re looking at a digital camera, the only thing capturing the image is that first inch of the camera. Everything behind that is power and recording and cooling. So this Sony camera, which is called the Sony Venice, you can buy a version where those two pieces are connected via some fiber optic cable. So the sensor, with a very small lens, can sit in a very tight place, or right in front of the actor. We had four of them pointing at the actor on Top Gun, and the recorders could be hidden in storage spaces on the jet. So you’re able to put something that normally you’d only be able to fit a GoPro there, now you’re able to put an IMAX quality camera in that spot. And in this case six of them, so we have multi-camera coverage of these sequences that you can cut a whole scene just by working with those six angles. That, to me, was our technology breakthrough on this movie. It’s just a really fun way to work, when you’re getting it all in-camera.”

Ballthyrm

I really like Joseph Kosinski , he is always trying something. It's hit and miss but he is one of these directors taking chance. A little bit like James Cameron but instead of pushing CGI, he is pushing cinematography.

I would love him to make a new Tron movie now that we passed the uncanny valley. He should be able to do whatever he likes.

Also:

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
The Third Day is one of the most well-shot projects I've ever seen. Here's a couple snaps I took from episode two. It's an HBO & Sky miniseries with three episodes currently out, and the twelve-hour fourth episode will be performed in one continuous take and streamed live on October 3rd. I can't fuckin wait for that.
xAN1a4Y.png

H1M0aOY.png

mortal

Gold Member
The Third Day is one of the most well-shot projects I've ever seen. Here's a couple snaps I took from episode two. It's an HBO & Sky miniseries with three episodes currently out, and the twelve-hour fourth episode will be performed in one continuous take and streamed live on October 3rd. I can't fuckin wait for that.
xAN1a4Y.png

H1M0aOY.png
Very nice. Thanks for the heads up, will give it a watch.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
One of the most well-photographed movies I've seen is The Conformist, but it's hard to capture how well-framed the film is with stills. In motion it's one of the best-looking movies I've ever seen, without any particularly striking use of color.
6fxfaDR.png

uUQltpc.png

The swinging lamp in this scene in particular really does something for me. Adore everything about this movie. Even the fact that they cast non-italian actors to read their lines phonetically, so they could later be dubbed over for release.

Top Bottom