• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Circana (NPD): Helldivers II US sales went up yet again during its 3rd week in market

tkscz

Industry will learn all the wrong lessons from this and suicide squad.
They still don't understand that GaaS games shouldn't be first thought of as GaaS games but as multiplayer online games. The focus should be on making the best damn multiplayer experience you can when it comes to games like this, but execs in the industry will only see "We should make a GaaS that's a space shooty and that will make people want to play it".

XXL

Video Games Explosion GIF by PlayStation

The game is phenomenal, it's success is well deserved.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Is it safe to pick up? Or are folks just dealing with the launch issues still?

On Pc I was getting a hard crash on missions when it was time to leave on the ship. I refunded because it happened 3 times… I don’t like wasting my time.

Elios83

People thought this was going to be a minor release for Sony and instead they already got a big GaaS success.
Probably even Sony didn't have big expectations but this proves that the GaaS market is really hard to predict, it's all about the game getting a good word of mouth and becoming viral.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
People thought this was going to be a minor release for Sony and instead they already got a big GaaS success.
Probably even Sony didn't have big expectations but this proves that the GaaS market is really hard to predict, it's all about the game getting a good word of mouth and becoming viral.

In 2024 Sony has in the first four months as exclusives....

- The Last of Us 2: Remaster
- Helldivers 2
- Final Fantasy 7: Rebirth
- Rise of the Ronin
- Steller Blade

Gotta say......maybe some of us went over board with thinking they were going "ALL IN" with this GAAS stuff.

S0ULZB0URNE

Fun game,much content updates and priced right.
I bought 4 steam keys.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Yep. It's impossible to predict what goes viral and what flops like suicide squad and avengers. Avengers i figured since it was a melee game but SS was a shooter similar to Helldivers but bombed worse than avengers or even anthem. None of those games had BAD gameplay, people who bought them like them. It's just as weird as seeing Fortnite and PubG take off.

lets hope Sony sticks with their decision to gut gaas studios and focus on doing what they do best. Those single player games are far more reliable.

S0ULZB0URNE

I got 100 odd friends on steam who are into online only games. Around 30 of them playing helldivers now and most of them got avg 50hrs playtime. Game is a massive hit on steam.
I got about 10 who play on Steam and about 20 on PSN.
I don't have as many hours as you yet and I am having issues adding my PS friends.
But every game I play always has had great team work and communication.

Elios83

Yep. It's impossible to predict what goes viral and what flops like suicide squad and avengers. Avengers i figured since it was a melee game but SS was a shooter similar to Helldivers but bombed worse than avengers or even anthem. None of those games had BAD gameplay, people who bought them like them. It's just as weird as seeing Fortnite and PubG take off.

lets hope Sony sticks with their decision to gut gaas studios and focus on doing what they do best. Those single player games are far more reliable.

They haven't changed anything relatively to GaaS strategy. GaaS and PC is their solution for growth.
Single player games cost too much, take too long to be developed, they are bought by the same target audience.
Alone they can't sustain growth and could lead to an unsustainable business.
They need a mix of things and it's what they're trying to do.
If anything Helldivers2 will encourage them as the first actual market test.

S0ULZB0URNE

Ehh I like Sony's multiplayer style more than the constant story/single player only stuff.

Loved Sony during the PS3 era as they took chances and tried all types of things.

Last edited:

It’s not simply random.

Helldivers is a good game. Suicide squad is not.

Make great games - SP or GaaS. Focus on that first, the sales will come

ByWatterson

Is it safe to pick up? Or are folks just dealing with the launch issues still?

On Pc I was getting a hard crash on missions when it was time to leave on the ship. I refunded because it happened 3 times… I don’t like wasting my time.

No issues last couple weeks.

Rac3r

I wonder how this game will look in a year. Vehicles will be a nice addition, but new enemy factions will be the key to longevity imo. I also hope Arrowhead (and PlayStation) don't go overboard with gaudy cosmetics like other live-service games.

gatti-man

Hopefully they add shaders. New enemies and weapon variety at the top would be nice too. The game is so solid as is just add more

What might happen is suddenly in the next couple years you get tons of Helldivers clones as they follow the trend.
HD2 took 7 years of development time. It has amazing 3rd person animations, sound design, and the best use of procedural generation I have ever seen. We are at least 5 years from a AAA studio even releasing a game that could theoretically match HD2

I would be shocked if HD2 doesn't end up the most profitable Sony game of all time. I think even with minimal updates it will pass a gaas game like Destiny, imo. The gameplay loop is just so much better

Top Bottom