• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Circana (NPD) Hardware Sales for 2022 - NSW 5830k | PS5 5660k | XBS 4480k

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I guess Xbox numbers look decent.....

Until you realize it took a half a year for Sony to overcome the strong first half 2022 Series consoles had. And pass them.

.......Sony did in 6 months what MS couldnt do in a full year......
Very surprising sales for Xbox. Color me impressed.

2:1. Started doing that sometime around September last year when they finally fixed the stock shortage. Before that Satya Nadella had boasted about Xbox beating the PS5 3 quarters in a row in North America.

Since then its been a bloodbath. Also, the PS5 is vastly more popular worldwide which is why they are already at 40 million units while the xbox is probably around 21-25 million despite being neck and neck in North America.

NPD 2022

PS5 US NPD HW:
Jan-22: 369K
Feb-22: 128K
Mar-22: 282K
Apr-22: 234K
May-22: 119K
Jun-22: 277K
Jul-22: 301K
Aug-22: 341K
Sep-22: 494K
Oct-22: 456K

Nov-22: 1328K
LTD as of Nov-22: 10592K

XBX US NPD HW:
Jan-22: 307K
Feb-22: 261K
Mar-22: 489K
Apr-22: 267K
May-22: 177K
Jun-22: 260K
Jul-22: 247K
Aug-22: 251K
Sep-22: 288K
Oct-22: 261K

Nov-22: 730K
LTD as of Nov-22: 8736K

Yeah....this post should help some ppl understand better.

Even Xbox One was much closer in sales to the PS4 in the US than in the rest of the world. Xbox 360 actually outsold PS3 in the US. Xbox performing better in the US isn't new.
The 360 destroyed the PS3 in the U.S by 44 million to 26 million and most of the big third party games like COD, Borderlands, Fallout, GTA, elder scrolls etc always sold far more on 360 than PS3 in the U.S. The 360 was so dominant in the U.S that some Americans are very surprised that PS3 outsold the 360 worldwide because in their world 360 was king. I think the only other countries that 360 outperformed PS3 was the U.K and Canada.

The 360 was also competitive in Europe, while behind in all but one country it still sold 20.86 million in these 14 European countries (below) versus 25.98 million for PS3. When you include every European country the total was around 31 million PS3's to 25 million 360's.

EDIT: XB360 outsold PS3 in Sweden as well.

VIPw34U.jpg

Last edited:
Exactly. Not many people have realized it, but Microsoft has put itself in a box, launching Series S and Series X at the same time.

Now, if they don't do a Pro, PlayStation will undisputedly have the power narrative.

If they do a Pro, they will end up with 3 SKUs + PC for devs to make their games for, as well as a new console in a series that hasn't been selling well at all and incurs up to $200 loss for every unit it does sell. Moreover, when the next cross-gen period rolls out, Xbox devs will be making games for:
  • PC
  • Xbox Series S
  • Xbox Series X
  • Xbox Series Pro
  • Xbox Series Ss (next-gen)
  • Xbox Series Xx (next-gen)
Sony waiting 4 years to introduce a pro was already cutting it close so if Microsoft isn't also releasing next year then I don't see them bringing out a pro model after 5 years when next-gen could launch 2 years later it wouldn't make sense plus it would have to be in design faze now for a hypothetical 2024/25 release but nothing has leaked combined with Phil denying needing one I think they ride out the generation and focus on exclusive content

Unknown?

How could you not? Do you think Sony doesn’t care they’re being obliterated in Japan? Had Nintendo not been a thing Sony would be crushing it over there as Xbox is pretty much nonexistent.
No they wouldn't because they don't sell a portable console. They care about portability there, that's why Nintendo combined their console and handheld business, they couldn't do well there with home consoles.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Exactly. Not many people have realized it, but Microsoft has put itself in a box, launching Series S and Series X at the same time.

Now, if they don't do a Pro, PlayStation will undisputedly have the power narrative.

If they do a Pro, they will end up with 3 SKUs + PC for devs to make their games for, as well as a new console in a series that hasn't been selling well at all and incurs up to $200 loss for every unit it does sell. Moreover, when the next cross-gen period rolls out, Xbox devs will be making games for:
  • PC
  • Xbox Series S
  • Xbox Series X
  • Xbox Series Pro
Looking at it like this....oof.

And some ppl are like "what is Sony doing making a PS5 Pro??"

When its the exact same situation as last gen when you remember the PS5 DE has the exact same specs as the disc version.

Last edited:
PlayStation 5 had stock problems all year and still managed almost 6M?

Yeah it's breaking 8M this year 🔥
You may be right, it's had a great first half of the year, i think 7 million is guaranteed, 7.5 million is likely and if there is a new slim model at a reduced price then 8 million is happening.

Woopah

No they wouldn't because they don't sell a portable console. They care about portability there, that's why Nintendo combined their console and handheld business, they couldn't do well there with home consoles.
People in Japan play games on TVs just like everyone else, PS5 hardware sales there are strong.

Plus its not like portability isn't big in the US.

Edit: Not sure why PS5 hardware selling well in Japan is funny... its a basic fact.

Last edited:

Unknown?

People in Japan play games on TVs just like everyone else, PS5 hardware sales there are strong.

Plus its not like portability isn't big in the US.

Edit: Not sure why PS5 hardware selling well in Japan is funny... its a basic fact.
They play on their phones and portables at a much higher ratio than other markets though.

Consoles have been on a downward trend in Japan since PS2(even the Wii didn't do as well) until now with the PS5 but no where near where it used to be. That's why Nintendo got out of the dedicated console market and merged their console and handhelds into a single product.

We will see if PS5 can maintain that upward trend.

nial

Gold Member
Why are the Japanese the only ones who do this console thing well? Aside from the Atari 2600 and Xbox 360, creating a successful system seems to be difficult for everyone else.

Woopah

They play on their phones and portables at a much higher ratio than other markets though.

Consoles have been on a downward trend in Japan since PS2(even the Wii didn't do as well) until now with the PS5 but no where near where it used to be. That's why Nintendo got out of the dedicated console market and merged their console and handhelds into a single product.

We will see if PS5 can maintain that upward trend.
PS5 is doing better in its third year than the PSP or Vita ever did in their third year. Its about software, not hardware type.

Nintendo merged into a single product because games are now too big for them to support 2 platforms. The Switch can be used as a dedicated TV gaming console, and in Japan we have seem several games do well that can only be played on a TV.

Therefore there is a very strong demand in Japan for TV gaming.

Unknown?

PS5 is doing better in its third year than the PSP or Vita ever did in their third year. Its about software, not hardware type.

Nintendo merged into a single product because games are now too big for them to support 2 platforms. The Switch can be used as a dedicated TV gaming console, and in Japan we have seem several games do well that can only be played on a TV.

Therefore there is a very strong demand in Japan for TV gaming.
Not as much as there is for handheld gaming though, not even close.

Absolutely....

To stay relevant Nintendo exited the "high-performance console" market in 2006 after getting killed by Sony in the previous 2 generations, and after the Wii U failure, they exited the "home console" market completely in 2017

The Switch is a portable console with a HDMI Out...

Last edited:

Brucey

Xbox One v Xbox Series

2013: XBO - 1.82 million 2020: XBS - 1.49 million
2014: XBO - 4.37 million 2021: XBS - 3.73 million
2015: XBO - 4.93 million 2022: XBS - 4.48 million
2016: XBO - 4.73 million 2023: XBS - ???
Didn't Microsoft claim that the XBS was outselling the XBO in lifetime to date several times? Were they talking about global sales then? Was Henry Panic correct? Global sales have saved the XBS?

Woopah

Depends on the software. Portable gaming is huge in the US but that doesn't mean TV gaming isn't also big. People like to do both.

Likewise Sony hardware doesn't need to be portable to sell well in Japan, as the PS5 is proving right now.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
I’m sorry but I just can’t take that seriously. Had Nintendo not existed Sony would not only be topping the hardware and software charts in Japan every week but they’d also be getting way more Japanese software support as they’d pretty much be the only option available.

If you don’t think Sony would prefer that over being trampled every week by Nintendo and the Switch I think you’re kidding yourself.

Woopah

I’m sorry but I just can’t take that seriously. Had Nintendo not existed Sony would not only be topping the hardware and software charts in Japan every week but they’d also be getting way more Japanese software support as they’d pretty much be the only option available.

If you don’t think Sony would prefer that over being trampled every week by Nintendo and the Switch I think you’re kidding yourself.
PlayStation didn't lose too much Japanese support, its more that it had a lot if exclusives which are now multiplatform with Swirch. That's been the main third party change in recent years.

Obviously they would prefer if more of that third party software was exclusive to them, but likewise Nintendo wishes more of the third party software was exclusive to them too.

Robb

Gold Member
PlayStation didn't lose too much Japanese support, its more that it had a lot if exclusives which are now multiplatform with Swirch. That's been the main third party change in recent years.

Obviously they would prefer if more of that third party software was exclusive to them, but likewise Nintendo wishes more of the third party software was exclusive to them too.
While that’s true huge stuff like Monster Hunter Rise would’ve gone straight to Sony without any timed exclusivity. Same with Square titles (and anyone else). Not to mention juggernauts like Momotarō Dentetsu would be releasing on their platform. etc. etc.

Last edited:

Woopah

While that’s true huge stuff like Monster Hunter Rise would’ve gone straight to Sony without any timed exclusivity. Same with Square titles (and anyone else). Not to mention juggernauts like Momotarō Dentetsu would be releasing on their platform. etc. etc.
They'd be getting some more support, but I wouldn't describe it as "way more".

Robb

Gold Member
They'd be getting some more support, but I wouldn't describe it as "way more".
That’s fair. I don’t have a list of all Switch exclusive Japanese developed games so I will admit I don’t know what the actual amount would be.

Anyway, I’m 100% sure that if Jim Ryan was given the opportunity to snap his fingers and remove Nintendo from the equation he’d be be snapping those fingers in seconds. Not go “Oh I won’t do that because we don’t consider Nintendo competition”.

• PC
  • Xbox Series S
  • Xbox Series X
  • Xbox Series Pro

I think when the new consoles come out, the limitations of the Series S will cause the entire Series SKUs to be dropped by developers both external and internal.

I don't think you'll see two consoles released in the next generation either.

As for the rest of this generation, I don't think they can lose yet another narrative. They've already lost mindshare and losing this narrative will carry over into the next generation. It'll put them in a position where Sony can delay releasing a new console and just give Microsoft a year head start, because they'll know it won't be enough to catch up in mindshare. This is quite different from the 360 and PS3, where that year really damaged sony (They came out a year later, but more difficult to program for, and more expensive).

it's no coincidence that when sony finally sorted the production problems out, the gap all of a sudden became 2 to 1 and has pretty much stayed that way for most months since. Not only that but that's also when the yoy xbox declines started and that has also persisted since. Clearly xbox was benefiting greatly rom ps5 being so hard to find but that momentum just died the moment ps5 became readily available.

Last edited:

Unknown?

They would have probably done a little better but no where near PS2 numbers. They already get most of the Japanese software made from big to niche anyway.

More than likely that Switch audience would go to iPhone or Android.

lucbr

Amurica is the only market where Xbox has any relevance. As for the rest of the world PlayStation is the total domination.

That's not accurate. In Brazil and Mexico Xbox is very strong. And Brazil is one of the biggest gaming markets, between the TOP 10 according to Newzoo. It is also a TOP 5 market for Steam, top 3 for Xbox and was the 8th country for PS4 in sales.

About the topic, Xbox was always very strong on the US, but has been falling since their total dominance with the 360. With their new games and studios in the near future I predict they the gap will remain the same or decrease. However, in the One generation it was necessary a Xbox to plays Xbox games, not now. People can play on PC and cloud. This very important point can't be ignored.

Last edited:

lucbr

It doesn't take a genius to understand that MS expected the TWO consoles combined to sell a lot more more units than Xbox One by itself....

Otherwise, why did they do it?

Are we denying this???

At the same time they also might have predicted lost sales due to the availability of their games on PC and cloud. This has to be accounted as well.

lucbr

By the way, worldwide, at the same time, the numbers released and even commented in this forum were like 39m PlayStation and 22m Xbox. So not 2:1 until 2022 even in the world. Probably now in 2023.

zedinen

Wtf...I thought ps5 was outselling xbox like 5 to 1 or something. Or minimal 3 to 1. Am I looking at rhis wrong?
YTD June (US market)
2023 PS5 2.70 m
2002 PS2 2.48 m
2016 PS4 1.58 m
2009 PS3 1.11 m

Nintendo stopped competing with Sony in 2006 when they launched the Wii (aka GameCube 2.0)

Nobody has only the Switch as their console. Most games don't even get ported to it.

It's a "companion console" for Nintendo exclusives
Yes
Nintendo has rode this mentality all the way to the bank. At the end of the day, they’re competing for your dollars and mindshare. Doesn’t matter how they accomplish that so long as they do.
No and No

Sales (Jan-Jun) 2023
PlayStation $13.74 b
Tencent $13.17 b
Microsoft $7.09 b
Nintendo $5.68 b
Activision Blizzard $4.59 b

Return on Invested Capital (ROIC) : 5-year average
PlayStation 39.32%
Nintendo 20.79%

ROIC
2023 PS 16.40 / N 19.12
2022 PS 41.90 / N 24.12
2021 PS 47.50 / N 27.90
2020 PS 35.90 / N 16.79
2019 PS 54.90 / N 13.53
2018 PS 28.70/ N 8.04
2017 PS 22.0 / N 1.14
2016 PS ? / N 3.43
2015 PS ? / N -2.32

Enterprise Value
Sony Group $116.33 b
Nintendo $35.29 b

How could you not? Do you think Sony doesn’t care they’re being obliterated in Japan? Had Nintendo not been a thing Sony would be crushing it over there as Xbox is pretty much nonexistent.
When it comes to PlayStation home consoles, Nintendo is a non-factor. Even in Japan.

PS4 (3DS/Wii U era) sold worse than the PS3 (DS/Wii era)

NSW is more successful than the 3DS and yet ...

K4jkISF.jpg

Robb

Gold Member
They would have probably done a little better but no where near PS2 numbers. They already get most of the Japanese software made from big to niche anyway.

Agree to disagree then I guess. I don’t think phones are a substitute for the Switch. I would be very very surprised if not every single Switch user does not already own an iPhone/Android.

Last edited:
But that’s the thing I don’t understand. Why does “at the same time” matter?
Because the wisdom says that it is a poor idea. Jim Ryan knew it was a mistake. He said, “creating a special low priced, reduced spec console is something that has not had great results in the past."

So to release two different specced consoles simultaneously already was historically unwise, but then practically it’s just harder to manage the channels, marketing and development environment.

From Digital Foundry’s discussions with Microsoft pre-launch they indicated that the Series S was their standard console - so their base offering is much poorer than Sony’s - and that the series X is their pro console. That one’s interesting because they lose more per console than Sony but so far the results in head to heads show that PlayStation 5 outperforms the Series X quite often.

It’s an interesting situation. Their lowest spec offering is cheaper, has significantly worse hardware but is still selling worse than the PS5. Their highest spec hardware is on paper stronger than the PS5 but isn’t performing as such, has a much higher BOM and as a result requires their investment to be repaid through game sales and subscriptions. This is why GamePass is so important.

Robb

Gold Member
Because the wisdom says that it is a poor idea
Sure but the discussion is/was regarding if X/S should be counted as entirely different platforms or different SKU’s of the same platform. Not if it was a smart business move.

Last edited:
Sure but the discussion is/was regarding if X/S should be counted as entirely different platforms or different SKU’s of the same platform. Not if it was a smart business move.
Same development environment so different SKUs of the same platform. Dumb idea to launch simultaneously.

We’ll eventually count PS5pro in PS5 sales so we should put the Xbox Series consoles together.

Woopah

The people who only play portable might have gone to mobile, but the vast majority of the Switch audience in Japan want to play on a TV (like everywhere else) and that's a audience PS5 could capture with the right software.

For example, Sony has done a good job of securing key software, and if people in Japan want to play Genshin Impact or Honkai Rail Star on a TV, or play Granblue Fantasy Relink at all, they need a PlayStation.

And on the flip side, I'm sure Sony would prefer that the next Momotaro and Dragon Quest Monsters were PS5 exclusives instead of Switch exclusives.
YTD June (US market)
2023 PS5 2.70 m
2002 PS2 2.48 m
2016 PS4 1.58 m
2009 PS3 1.11 m

Yes

No and No

Sales (Jan-Jun) 2023
PlayStation $13.74 b
Tencent $13.17 b
Microsoft $7.09 b
Nintendo $5.68 b
Activision Blizzard $4.59 b

Return on Invested Capital (ROIC) : 5-year average
PlayStation 39.32%
Nintendo 20.79%

ROIC
2023 PS 16.40 / N 19.12
2022 PS 41.90 / N 24.12
2021 PS 47.50 / N 27.90
2020 PS 35.90 / N 16.79
2019 PS 54.90 / N 13.53
2018 PS 28.70/ N 8.04
2017 PS 22.0 / N 1.14
2016 PS ? / N 3.43
2015 PS ? / N -2.32

Enterprise Value
Sony Group $116.33 b
Nintendo $35.29 b

When it comes to PlayStation home consoles, Nintendo is a non-factor. Even in Japan.

PS4 (3DS/Wii U era) sold worse than the PS3 (DS/Wii era)

NSW is more successful than the 3DS and yet ...

K4jkISF.jpg
If Sony and Nintendo are not competing for dollars, then why are you comparing them in terms of dollars?

Because the truth is that they are competing.

When we get the latest numbers today, Switch will be #2 behind PS5 in the console market. Not #1 in a different market. And it's software will be compared directly with other console software.

Which games cannot be played in tabletop mode?
I think most things can be played in tabletop mode but its hardly the primary form of play for people.

Last edited:

VitoNotVito

That's not accurate. In Brazil and Mexico Xbox is very strong. And Brazil is one of the biggest gaming markets, between the TOP 10 according to Newzoo. It is also a TOP 5 market for Steam, top 3 for Xbox and was the 8th country for PS4 in sales.

About the topic, Xbox was always very strong on the US, but has been falling since their total dominance with the 360. With their new games and studios in the near future I predict they the gap will remain the same or decrease. However, in the One generation it was necessary a Xbox to plays Xbox games, not now. People can play on PC and cloud. This very important point can't be ignored.
We have an "xbox ambassador" here. Bank transfer from Phil is on the way...

On the Brazil market comment - even if it's in top 10 it's not a big market (considering the size of the country). Examples? Japan is $73B market, China $43B, UK is over $8B, Germany is over $8B, France and Spain very similar. In all those markets xbox is in the very distant 3rd place. US is the only large market where xbox is somehow "trying" to catch up...
Brazil? The market will reach $2B revenue in 2023. No matter how big xbox is there it's not something that has an impact on grand scale of things. Brazil is unfortunately very well known for piracy, also on consoles.

Last edited:
I have managed to find the yearly numbers of PS2 up to 2010

2000: PS2 - 1.10 million
2001: PS2 - 6.18 million
2002: PS2 - 8.39 million
2003: PS2 - 6.31 million
2004: PS2 - 4.59 million
2005: PS2 - 5.51 million
2006: PS2 - 4.84 million
2007: PS2 - 3.94 million
2008: PS2 - 2.50 million
2009: PS2 - 1.80 million
2010: PS2 - 0.75 million

Total: 45.91 million

At the same time they also might have predicted lost sales due to the availability of their games on PC and cloud. This has to be accounted as well.

That's why the decision to launch 2 consoles makes even less sense...

Right now the main platform for Microsoft seems to be PC, followed by Series S....

This means the Series X is stuck in a limbo: because it's limited by Series S specs and can't "brute-force" games like a good gaming PC.... See the Starfield 60fps debacle....

Last edited:

Tsaki

Didn't Microsoft claim that the XBS was outselling the XBO in lifetime to date several times? Were they talking about global sales then? Was Henry Panic correct? Global sales have saved the XBS?
Yes it was global sales and the comment was made in October(?) last year, before Series sales fell off a cliff. At this point, in the US, Series are behind One and worldwide they are about similar.

Unknown?

The people who only play portable might have gone to mobile, but the vast majority of the Switch audience in Japan want to play on a TV (like everywhere else) and that's a audience PS5 could capture with the right software.

For example, Sony has done a good job of securing key software, and if people in Japan want to play Genshin Impact or Honkai Rail Star on a TV, or play Granblue Fantasy Relink at all, they need a PlayStation.

And on the flip side, I'm sure Sony would prefer that the next Momotaro and Dragon Quest Monsters were PS5 exclusives instead of Switch exclusives.

If Sony and Nintendo are not competing for dollars, then why are you comparing them in terms of dollars?

Because the truth is that they are competing.

When we get the latest numbers today, Switch will be #2 behind PS5 in the console market. Not #1 in a different market. And it's software will be compared directly with other console software.

I think most things can be played in tabletop mode but its hardly the primary form of play for people.
Is there any evidence to that? The vast majority of Switch owners were previous 3DS owners, not having owned a Wii U.

Woopah

Is there any evidence to that? The vast majority of Switch owners were previous 3DS owners, not having owned a Wii U.
Because even though it is the cheapest model, the Lite is the least popular model in Japan just like everywhere else. Therefore the majority of the Switch audience wants to play games on TVs

We see that in software as well, where series that tend to be stronger on TV consoles sell well on Switch.

Local multiplayer is a huge part of the Switch's appeal and obviously thats a lot easier on a console you connect to a TV.

Last edited:

Tsaki

Because even though it is the cheapest model, the Lite is the least popular model in Japan just like everywhere else. Therefore the majority of the Switch audience wants to play games on TVs

We see that in software as well, where series that tend to be stronger on TV consoles sell well on Switch.
Maybe it's having-the-option effect. The vast majority of PS5's are with the disk model, even though the majority of games sold are digital.
Unless Nintendo gives us numbers, we can't say which is which.

Woopah

Maybe it's having-the-option effect. The vast majority of PS5's are with the disk model, even though the majority of games sold are digital.
Unless Nintendo gives us numbers, we can't say which is which.
That's what I'm saying, that people in Japan want to be able to play games on the TV, which is reflected in both the hardware and software sales.

We don't have data specifically for Japan, but Nintendo has shared that the majority of Switch owners use the console as a hybrid.

Tsaki

That's what I'm saying, that people in Japan want to be able to play games on the TV, which is reflected in both the hardware and software sales.

We don't have data specifically for Japan, but Nintendo has shared that the majority of Switch owners use the console as a hybrid.
Well yes. Everyone would have used the console at least once on the TV. If 95% of the gaming time is spent in handheld mode though, I'd still call it a handheld, while technically being a hybrid.
As I see it, if the Switch never had an HDMI-out port, it would still sell as much as it did.

Woopah

Well yes. Everyone would have used the console at least once on the TV. If 95% of the gaming time is spent in handheld mode though, I'd still call it a handheld, while technically being a hybrid.
As I see it, if the Switch never had an HDMI-out port, it would still sell as much as it did.
Sales would be much less in every region if it wasn't a hybrid. It would lose the versatility and the local multiplayer capabilities that are a huge part of its appeal in Japan and elsewhere.

The data from Nintendo showed:
  • 30% of people play in tabletop mode or handheld mode 80% of the time
  • 20% of people play in TV mode 80% of the the time
  • 50% played in both modes roughly equally
Anyone playing Switch 95% in portable mode is a tiny minority.

Just in Japan, 88% of Switch shipments were hybrid so I don't think it makes any sense to say that it's hybrid nature has 0 effect on sales.

Last edited:
Sales would be much less in every region if it wasn't a hybrid. It would lose the versatility and the local multiplayer capabilities that are a huge part of its appeal in Japan and elsewhere.

The data from Nintendo showed:
  • 30% of people play in tabletop mode or handheld mode 80% of the time
  • 20% of people play in TV mode 80% of the the time
  • 50% played in both modes roughly equally
Anyone playing Switch 95% in portable mode is a tiny minority.

Just in Japan, 88% of Switch shipments were hybrid so I don't think it makes any sense to say that it's hybrid nature has 0 effect on sales.

Interesting stats.

For me it depends on the game. Some games I prefer playing in handheld mode while others I play on the TV. I'm not sure why I do this though. Could be that some games feel better on the TV while others I prefer to game while in bed.

Top Bottom