• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Circana: Sea of Thieves is having a great start on PlayStation 5 in the US market.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Oppoi Oppoi

18e1579a-4fc6-4a73-bab2-61dd9e6c3bf8_text.gif

Last edited:

Katatonic

IMO, Satya low key relieved Phil of his duty and made the right call for the company. They'll probably keep Phil on board just to save face.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
No one ever said Xbox didn't have any good games. The problem is that they didn't have enough major titles and many of their biggest titles within the past 10 years either underperformed or were underwhelming.
Yeah, this sudden chest beating is a head scratcher. For starters, it solidifies that many more (if not all) future Xbox games will come to other consoles (virtually rendering it [Xbox] useless). Second, no one said Xbox had no good games, but their recent releases clearly left a lot to be desired and if they were pulling their weight, they wouldn't be on any other console platform to begin with. Hell, Sea of Thieves released in a rough state and became a good game over time.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
But it’s not the Best Seller, we all know who’s #1. Mat should stick to data instead of batting for one side.

He's obvious about it too. People are asking questions

And he completely ignores those people. yet he's got some cringe template war post to respond to people 'whining' (making a joke really) about the MS account login requirement on the game.

I mean.....he just comes across as a console warrior. I really don't see what he gets out of it. He is certainly not doing Circana any favors.

Last edited:
Oh look. Xbox games are actually good.

No one ever said Xbox didn't have any good games. The problem is that they didn't have enough major titles and many of their biggest titles within the past 10 years either underperformed or were underwhelming.

Yeah, don't think anyone ever said that Xbox had no good games, but that they had no system sellers.

Is anyone claiming that sea of thieves is pushing PS5 units?

The big difference for Sea of Thieves is that on PS5 people have to buy it, whereas on Xbox it was on GamePass. I think this will likely hasten Microsoft porting over some larger titles. Sea of Thieves is performing well, Pentiment and Hi-Fi Rush not as much. Hi-Fi Rush might have better success at 5 or 10 dollars or as PS+ title.

The big titles for Microsoft where they'll have to think really carefully about are Halo MCC, Gears Trilogy, Flight Simulator, Starfield, and Halo Infinite.

Once Halo MCC hits PS5 or maybe PS4/PS5, I think it'll officially mark the end of Xbox as a premier brand for consoles. It'll sell a lot of copies. I think depending on the quality of the port and the price it could do anywhere from 5-25 million units. Note that it is 40 dollars on Steam.

Klayzer

The big difference for Sea of Thieves is that on PS5 people have to buy it, whereas on Xbox it was on GamePass.
There are few here that conviently forget that. Though, the original release on Xbox was considered very barebones, with hardly any content at launch. The PS5 version doesn't have those issues

Codes 208

Oh look. Xbox games are actually good.
Every few years its known to happen. I’d be more impressed if this were a new release but its not. SoT is a 6 year old game.

But I see no one, not even xbox fans, raving about the more recent AAAA releases like halo infinite or starfield

Every few years its known to happen. I’d be more impressed if this were a new release but its not. SoT is a 6 year old game.

But I see no one, not even xbox fans, raving about the more recent AAAA releases like halo infinite or starfield
What people are raving about on internet is kinda immaterial.

Halo Infinite is good game. Am not interested in selling it to trolls. Play if you want, else leave it.

Three

Idk who he is, but at the end of the day, a Xbox game at #2 @PS is, in more ways than one, more news-worthy than SB at #1. It's not exactly complicated - Until we throw conspiracy theories into the mix.
Sure (only from a warring mentality it's interesting) but why is he ghosting 4 people asking him the same relevant question yet he has a premade troll post he's copy pasted 3 times to people mentioning it requiring a MS account? It makes no sense how he's interacting with people.

Last edited:
Bought it to play with some of my co-workers. Its been fun for the most part, pretty chill game. I did sort of start to doze off while on the ship last night though, the sounds of the waves man, just uhh very relaxing (fuck I'm old).

Ozriel

M$FT
PC carried the game.
Game launched at #2 NPD on Xbox, and stayed in the top 20 most played Xbox games for years 😃

I'm looking forward to that Hell blade 2 weekly placement. Give us the same energy Mat!

But I have a feeling we will get radio silence on that one.

It’d have to release on PS5 first, wouldn’t it? And that would be the bigger story.

I mean.....he just comes across as a console warrior. I really don't see what he gets out of it. He is certainly not doing Circana any favors.

Xbox games moving to PS and the possibility of MS going third party is by far the biggest gaming story of 2024 so far. The performance of ported Xbox titles is probably one of the key data points driving MS decision to put other titles on other consoles.
hard to label performance that could well see MS bring even more titles over -further crippling hardware sales - as ‘console warring’.

demigod

Game launched at #2 NPD on Xbox, and stayed in the top 20 most played Xbox games for years 😃

It’d have to release on PS5 first, wouldn’t it? And that would be the bigger story.

Xbox games moving to PS and the possibility of MS going third party is by far the biggest gaming story of 2024 so far. The performance of ported Xbox titles is probably one of the key data points driving MS decision to put other titles on other consoles.
hard to label performance that could well see MS bring even more titles over -further crippling hardware sales - as ‘console warring’.
Post those pc vs xbox numbers for sea of thieves, i dare you.

Ozriel

M$FT
Post those pc vs xbox numbers for sea of thieves, i dare you.

SoT didn’t get on Steam until 2 years after the console release. What was carrying it in the interim, across a significant number of content updates? Magic?

Of course it’s sold more on PC. But it was a successful console release on its own, and maintains a very active player base there

Last edited:

Dutchy

Banned
Great news. Though expected. I've seen too many warriors claiming that it wouldn't fare well on PS cause of console tribalism alone.

Now I really want MCC on PS. Fuck Infinite. That shit has less players than their decades old predecessors. I want Halo 2/3 to become even more of the cult classics that they deserve to be.

Topher

Gold Member

Yeah, but it ain't that. It is how he interacts with people asking questions. And not the first time by a long shot.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Idk who he is, but at the end of the day, a Xbox game at #2 @PS is, in more ways than one, more news-worthy than SB at #1. It's not exactly complicated - Until we throw conspiracy theories into the mix.

I think getting info on both would be nice. But what I'm I thinking?

Top Bottom