• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sea of Thieves PS5 Impressions - Improvements Over the Xbox/PC Versions

ManaByte

I have nearly 750 hours played in Sea of Thieves, and there are people I play with who have even more. It took two years for the game to click for me. During COVID I decided to give it another try while on an island a skeleton with a red name attacked me. I killed it, a skull dropped, and I discovered that you could be a high seas Ghostbuster hunting down skeleton captains for their skulls. I was hooked and the game cured my MMO addiction. It's easily my favorite game.

So I immediately pre-ordered the PS5 edition because Rare deserves the support with all of the stuff they've been adding to the game with each season. And the PS5 version is great.

I got on right when the beta opened this morning and ran a Sea Fort. These are short PVE POIs they added back in 2022 that you can complete in about 30 min. They're great.

The PS5 client is the best way to play the game. As Rare said certain cosmetics will be locked to platforms (I believe it's a Sony policy because they do it with Call of Duty as well) and right now the only cosmetic from the Xbox/PC that's not viewable on the PS5 is the Xbox "Duke" ship set. All of the other sets, including ones unlocked via a limited event like the Borderlands set, are there.
ZX5gjWs.jpg

It defaulted to 120hz for me. Which is good. If your display supports it run it at 1080/120. The art design scales enough that you're not gaining much running it at 4K/60 and you're losing the advantage 120hz gives you.

The 3D audio is amazing. Rare's audio/music team is awesome and they out-did themselves with it.

The controller buttons match the art style like they did on Xbox:
UkGONGh.jpg

DualSense haptics:
  • Raising anchor at the capstan.
  • Adjusting sails.
  • Ship wheel.
  • Cannons.
  • Repairs have a cool vibration on the triggers.
  • Firing weapons uses resistance on the trigger - this is NOT like COD where there's such a delay it gives you a competitive disadvantage. I forgot to check if you can turn it off.
  • Harpoons have a similar trigger resistance as guns.
  • Dropping a chest on the ground gives a cool little vibration simulating it being full of stuff.
  • There's no haptics at all with using the sword on skeletons, which felt strange based on how much they use it everywhere else.
NheLwfr.jpg

Also it appears progress made in the beta carries over to the full game. I logged out of the PS5 version and logged in on PC just to check and the gold I earned from running the Sea Fort was still there. Meaning the beta is even more early access. Trophies, Guilds, and the shop are disabled in the beta.

The beta runs this weekend. Then if you get the $60 Premium edition (which really has over $80 worth of shop stuff with it) early access starts on the 25th. Then the PS5 version opens for everyone on the 30th.

Might give this a go. Played in the early days with a few friends, and while it was fun, it didn't last long back then. Supposed to have been plenty of stuff in the few years since, hopefully it won't be as overwhelming as jumping back into as No Mans Sky is after every update.

ManaByte

If anyone picks it up and plays the beta this weekend I'll be playing the PS5 version mostly (since it looks like progression carries over) and will teach anyone the game who wants to learn. PSN name is the same as here.

I'll be running my Sloop, No Sloop For You, which can take two people. If more want to go at once I can switch to my Brig, Summer of George. If there's a full crew who wants to go we can use my Galleon, Serenity Now.

When the game launches everyone here is welcome to join my Guild, Vandelay Industries.

If anyone picks it up and plays the beta this weekend I'll be playing the PS5 version mostly (since it looks like progression carries over) and will teach anyone the game who wants to learn. PSN name is the same as here.

I'll be running my Sloop, No Sloop For You, which can take two people. If more want to go at once I can switch to my Brig, Summer of George. If there's a full crew who wants to go we can use my Galleon, Serenity Now.

When the game launches everyone here is welcome to join my Guild, Vandelay Industries.
Mine was called Sloop Dogg....... I know, I know......

FUBARx89

You can turn off the triggers system wide in controller settings OP.

Shame beta is limited to pre orders, cause I ain't pre-ordering shit on PSN.

Eitherway, I'll probably be getting it, was fun enough on xbox, now that I can play with my friends on a drunk Saturday night it should be really fun.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Rare confirms your progress carries over and beta participants get 10 free levels on the Season 12 plunder pass!

Participants in the Closed Beta will be able to earn Renown, currency and cosmetic rewards as part of the Season 11 Seasonal progression track. Their pirate will keep these rewards, and these items will be accessible when the game launches globally at the end of April. They will also be awarded 10 levels of Renown towards their Season 12 Seasonal progression track, as a thank you for participating.

Closed Beta participants will not be able to engage with the Pirate Emporium, and will only be playing with other PlayStation players during this period. While Trophies will be disabled during the Closed Beta, progress towards them will be tracked, carried over and unlocked appropriately upon launch of the retail version...

Last edited:

ManaByte

Just realized, PS5 players won't understand what Emissary flags mean to Reapers. Going to rack up the Athena rep this weekend!

So uh are Microsoft going to have Rare add any of these improvements to the Xbox version of the game? Or is it just not worth the effort?

Going by certain other ports, guess I'd wager the latter.

Anyway the game looks good. Preorders seem pretty strong for it as well. I can see it doing quite good numbers on PS5 (and Switch 2 once it's ported there).

BlackTron

The sea was angry that day my friends

I'm not sure why you quoted the same post twice, but the point is that MS is porting a game so they can sell it to somebody. It's already sitting on a sub service. I'm sure Sony wants to pay to put a MS owned GP game on PS+ right now, seems highly realistic. I'm sure asking if we are getting this was completely honest and not at all trying to draw attention and stir shit lol.

ManaByte

I'm not sure why you quoted the same post twice, but the point is that MS is porting a game so they can sell it to somebody. It's already sitting on a sub service. I'm sure Sony wants to pay to put a MS owned GP game on PS+ right now, seems highly realistic. I'm sure asking if we are getting this was completely honest and not at all trying to draw attention and stir shit lol.

The game has sold millions on Steam. It's not exclusive to Game Pass.

Three

You really, really couldn't figure out all on your own that that's not the reason Microsoft is porting games to Playstation?
I mean it's not that obvious. It's a really old (2018) GaaS game with tons of microtransactions. It has other revenue streams. It's not out of the realm of possibility that it might come to other services (Minecraft legends did) or even go full f2p at some point in the future. Charging the same amount as 6 years ago is kind of unprecedented and would be considered overcharging for other games.

Ozriel

M$FT
So uh are Microsoft going to have Rare add any of these improvements to the Xbox version of the game? Or is it just not worth the effort?

Going by certain other ports, guess I'd wager the latter.

Anyway the game looks good. Preorders seem pretty strong for it as well. I can see it doing quite good numbers on PS5 (and Switch 2 once it's ported there).

The improvements being cited are Dualsense features.
Either you’re seriously asking for Rare to patch in advanced haptics and controller speaker audio via software, or you couldn’t be arsed to read the OP.

BlackTron

I mean it's not that obvious. It's a really old (2018) GaaS game with tons of microtransactions. It has other revenue streams. It's not out of the realm of possibility that it might come to other services (Minecraft legends did) or even go full f2p at some point in the future. Charging the same amount as 6 years ago is kind of unprecedented and would be considered overcharging for other games.

Minecraft Legends is still a paid game, there is no way to get it with any sub service? I don't believe any MS game is attainable with any sub service other than Gamepass?

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Oh, I forgot to add in the OP: The DualSense controller speaker makes a click sound when you run out of ammo.
It might not be on the level of some games, Returnal is still IMO one of the best uses of the Dual Sense...something like this can be useful. Like not having to look at a certain part of the screen to know you're out of ammo.

There are times in Returnal when I dont have to look at the gun/ammo status area to do a reload perk that makes you reload faster. The Dual Sense does a good job of letting you know when to reload to get that perk. Its a small window that if you miss it you have to wait the normal time for the reload. You can also feel in certain weapons when ammo is low.

When Dual Sense use is good in games, its really good.

Ozriel

M$FT

You pretending you don’t know the dude was trolling is quite the trip.

Fabieter

Always wanted to try this but no one plays it on my Steam friendlist and as far as psn goes no one preordered it yet. Is it worth it if I have no group?

Chukhopops

Minecraft Legends is still a paid game, there is no way to get it with any sub service? I don't believe any MS game is attainable with any sub service other than Gamepass?
Minecraft Legends was on PS+ last month, although technically it’s not a live service anymore since support was dropped.

When it comes to GaaS initial sales are just a small slice of the pie anyway (see ABK reports for example).

Codes 208

i was actually curious about what features or performance improvements could be so much better than the xbox/pc versions

I keep forgetting that any kind of haptics on the duelsense is threadworthy and a godsend to gaming apparently.

The improvements being cited are Dualsense features.
Either you’re seriously asking for Rare to patch in advanced haptics and controller speaker audio via software, or you couldn’t be arsed to read the OP.

Isn't there extra content in the PS5 version not in the Xbox one?

Also aren't Microsoft making a new controller with advanced haptics and the such? Anyway I'm just saying, all of this make Phil's comments in that X-Cast interview last year hilarious in retrospect.

"Xbox gamers are not second-class citizens" but that's mainly only in words. Their actions show otherwise though, given where the console is, I fully understand why.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
i was actually curious about what features or performance improvements could be so much better than the xbox/pc versions

I keep forgetting that any kind of haptics on the duelsense is threadworthy and a godsend to gaming apparently.
Vibrations suddenly became game changer.

Isn't there extra content in the PS5 version not in the Xbox one?

Also aren't Microsoft making a new controller with advanced haptics and the such? Anyway I'm just saying, all of this make Phil's comments in that X-Cast interview last year hilarious in retrospect.

"Xbox gamers are not second-class citizens" but that's mainly only in words. Their actions show otherwise though, given where the console is, I fully understand why.
You're cooked. It happens to all of us.

Top Bottom