• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities: Skylines |OT| Not Related to Cities XL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trickster

Are there reviews out for this game? Seen that it's being streamed on twitch, but haven't been following the game at all. Wondering if it's worth the purchase

Noaloha

Haven't seen it linked to much, but the best video content over the last week has come from A_Spec on the ParadoxInteractive stream. http://www.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive/profile/past_broadcasts There are three of four long streams there, with the guy chilling with his pretty city, trying some stuff out, answering questions from the chat, and generally being a very charismatic fellow. My easy top pick for some lazy viewing or second screen background content.

He goes into very interesting specifics several times over the course of those videos. This was an interesting section at 2h:46m. I haven't yet seen anyone do a deep dive on the subway system, so it was cool to see him tear his entire metro network out and rebuild it from scratch. If you're interested in severely reducing residential traffic from your roads, give this a watch.

EDIT: sorry, forgot to the add the timestamp

I bought SimCity day 1 but honestly my biggest disappointment was the land size. This game seems properly bigger, I just might buy it.

Graphics are pretty dated though.

ElyrionX

Are you guys kidding?

Hardware requirements are not in the OT and my PC is 5 years old at this point so no, I'm not kidding.

Unless by kidding you meant that my PC is so ridiculously old by now that it was stupid to expect it to be even able to boot up the game.

Seeing people asking about specs made me realize that this OT is missing the minimum and recommended specs.
Windows:
Minimum:
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo, 3.0GHz or AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+, 3.2GHz
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: nVIDIA GeForce GTX 260, 512 MB or ATI Radeon HD 5670, 512 MB
DirectX: Version 9.0c
Network: Broadband Internet connection
Hard Drive: 4 GB available space

Recommended:
Processor: Intel Core i5-3470, 3.20GHz or AMD FX-6300, 3.5Ghz
Memory: 6 GB RAM
Graphics: nVIDIA GeForce GTX 660, 2 GB or AMD Radeon HD 7870, 2 GB
DirectX: Version 11

MacOS:
Minimum:

Recommended:

SteamOS/Linux:
Minimum:

Recommended:

Going to be interesting to see how my SLI'd GTX 460s handle this with my OC'd to 4.5Ghz i5 2500k. Someday I'll get around to upgrade my GPU.

Decided to redownload SimCity 2013 for some reason, apparently I played it for only 69 hours and haven't played it since August 2013. That last time was probably to update again and to see what shit was fixed before I gave up on it.

Also, more people should sign up, we got the Zen Garden and the Pond, next is the Cherry Trees... CHERRY TREES!

http://signup.citiesskylines.com/

Oh and my status on GMG is also "No keys available for this game. " I won't get worried until after I get up and check tomorrow morning and probably won't start to be until a couple hours before it'll possibly unlock. People I think need to remember that this game was made by 13 people as opposed to the last SimCity which probably had close to 10 times that many along with a probably budget to match.

spiritfox

Seeing people asking about specs made me realize that this OT is missing the minimum and recommended specs.
Windows:

MacOS:

SteamOS/Linux:

Going to be interesting to see how my SLI'd GTX 460s handle this with my OC'd to 4.5Ghz i5 2500k. Someday I'll get around to upgrade my GPU.

Decided to redownload SimCity 2013 for some reason, apparently I played it for only 69 hours and haven't played it since August 2013. That last time was probably to update again and to see what shit was fixed before I gave up on it.

Also, more people should sign up, we got the Zen Garden and the Pond, next is the Cherry Trees... CHERRY TREES!

http://signup.citiesskylines.com/

Oh and my status on GMG is also "No keys available for this game. " I won't get worried until after I get up and check tomorrow morning and probably won't start to be until a couple hours before it'll possibly unlock.

Thanks. I'll add it when I get home.

OchreHand

Of all the people playing the game, I've been watching Sip's. I know his humor his hit or miss with a lot but I like it. Also he seems to genuinely enjoy city building games.

Sips also discovered a bug that I don't think anyone mentioned yet (?) He created a neighborhood connected only by a one way road so no one could exit. The game didn't warn him or anything and carried on. I'm hoping that they patch a warning symbol or something.

Grief.exe

Hardware requirements are not in the OT and my PC is 5 years old at this point so no, I'm not kidding.

Unless by kidding you meant that my PC is so ridiculously old by now that it was stupid to expect it to be even able to boot up the game.

2500k and 560 ti/6950 are still respectable specs.

xBladeM6x

Never played a city building game like this before, but ever since I saw this picture:

sQTZhiK.jpg

I've been hooked on watching streams, and pre-ordered it. Looks sogood.jpeg

Of all the people playing the game, I've been watching Sip's. I know his humor his hit or miss with a lot but I like it. Also he seems to genuinely enjoy city building games.

Sips also discovered a bug that I don't think anyone mentioned yet (?) He created a neighborhood connected only by a one way road so no one could exit. The game didn't warn him or anything and carried on. I'm hoping that they patch a warning symbol or something.

This is not what I call a bug

Giever

Its not working for me which sucks. I tried a few vouchers. Any reason why you think?

I'm not really sure what the deal with the vouchers is, but just to be sure, you do know that you can get it for ~$22 by popping into the VIP section right? Sorry if I'm misunderstanding what you're really asking about. Just thought I'd point that out in case it's helpful information.

Stat!

I think its cheaper if you buy the game from the Greenman Gaming VIP section, which only requires you having a GMG account and being logged in. The vouchers won't be accepted if you are buying the game with the VIP discount tho, perhaps that's the problem you are running into?

I'm not really sure what the deal with the vouchers is, but just to be sure, you do know that you can get it for ~$22 by popping into the VIP section right? Sorry if I'm misunderstanding what you're really asking about. Just thought I'd point that out in case it's helpful information.

I had no idea :( Damn. Oh well, was getting too frustrated with GMG so I went with Steam. Extra $10. Sucks but I'll survive.

Giever

I had no idea :( Damn. Oh well, was getting too frustrated with GMG so I went with Steam. Extra $10. Sucks but I'll survive.

You ought to be able to get a refund from Steam, if you wanted, since it's just a pre-order still. Though it'd only go back to your steam wallet as far as I know.

The Llama

Seems like there are a lot of buildings which are like 20-40 stories tall but no actual skyscrapers. Do you just need an INSANE population, or are there no true skyscrapers?

Seems like there are a lot of buildings which are like 20-40 stories tall but no actual skyscrapers. Do you just need an INSANE population, or are there no true skyscrapers?

I've seen some pretty tall buildings, but considering how short the space elevator is, I wouldn't expect any Burj Khalifa types.

Kongor's city looks fucking amazing.

I'm sure we'll see the Burj in the steam workshop at some point.

That's true. I forgot about mods.

I really hope this game gets its roots dug in and we have a super extensive mod community. I'd love to browse a Simtropolis Exchange type for Skylines.

The Llama

Kongor's city looks fucking amazing.

Yeah, I've had his stream up in the background for a while, which is made that question come to mind. He has a really cool city, but it seems to be lacking a specific downtown with some REALLY big buildings. But maybe this is just as tall as the buildings get.

Edit: Also makes me remember the original release of SimCity 4. Before it was patched, the RCI demand was messed up in a way that meant the tallest residential and commercial buildings literally would not be built because they required a higher demand than the game would have.

Going to be running this on my 2013 rMBP and I don't even care. It ran Sim City decently, so I'm not scurred.

May our framerates be stable and our graphics settings not TOO low ;D

Hopefully I'll be able to download this before I leave for class, tomorrow's lab is going to be very fun indeed.

Jedi2016

This is not what I call a bug
Yeah, I agree. It's up to the player to find mistakes that they've made and fix them. That's the whole point of the city-builder, IMO. Otherwise the thing just plays itself.

JambiBum

With Kongor's population he can basically dictate how muh money he makes at any given time through taxes. He just raised all possible taxes to max for a few minutes and ended up getting almost 2 mill a week. He has now lowered them as low as possible in order to unlock a new building so that he can build the hadron collider. He's losing a ton of money because of it but he has plenty to spare right now.

Stat!

You ought to be able to get a refund from Steam, if you wanted, since it's just a pre-order still. Though it'd only go back to your steam wallet as far as I know.

Thanks for hte info. Had no idea. But I do know for the future. Thank you :)

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
(Moved my reply from the old topic)
Someone posted this over at the Cities: Skylines subreddit.
I forgot all about modular buildings. That was one feature of SimCity I liked. I wish they'd implement it into Cities: Skylines in some way.

Don't use a debit card on GMG! Your bank will shut the card down.

They seem to think GMG is a gambling racket, on top of being oversees. Go figure.
Actually this happened when I bought something from GOG a year ago. It was when I learned that my bank has Twitter powered customer support that actually called ME when they were ready to help instead of requiring me to sit on hold. It was glorious and pain free and I was so glad to be with TD Bank at that moment. I told the girl it was an okay purchase and she reactivated the card for me. I think I made another purchase there afterwards so I guess they added it to a whitelist for me once they were sure it was safe.

Apparently banks don't seem to like online game stores. What bank do you have? I used my credit card for this and nothing happened. I even used it again today to pay Mineke $500.

Anyway, I want my code now! Even if I can't buy it I want to add it to my Steam library so it's ready tomorrow. Man, I wish this was releasing at midnight. I will be so mad if the key shows up after it's already available.

Amiibro

Chances I can run this on a 2014 MacBook Pro 2.6 ghz i5 with 8 gigs of ram and iris pro video? If had some decent luck playing games so far on it . I know chances are slim to none. Low settings.

Actually this happened when I bought something from GOG a year ago. It was when I learned that my bank has Twitter powered customer support that actually called ME when they were ready to help instead of requiring me to sit on hold. It was glorious and pain free and I was so glad to be with TD Bank at that moment. I told the girl it was an okay purchase and she reactivated the card for me. I think I made another purchase there afterwards so I guess they added it to a whitelist for me once they were sure it was safe.

Thats odd, haven't had any trouble with GMG, though I've only used it a handful of times, compared to say, Steam, which continually sets off alarm bells (though usually only when purchases are upwards of 60 or so bucks)

jtb

Banned
I would honestly be surprised if the requirements for this game were as high as the stated requirements, but we'll see. I'm sneakily expecting to be able to play this on a 2012 MBA.

I set up my Twitch to stream my PC/Cities Skylines. I'm pretty excited to stream/have the chat help me create a city. When does the game go live again? I'm in EST, did someone say 1 PM?

On a random note, has anybody been following this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMXHiBigfRbunsGLOm0Cpsw

He's been making a Sim City like game ALL BY HIMSELF.

I've been following him for a while, but then Cities Skylines popped up and I forgot about him. But it's pretty crazy that he's been doing this, I hope he's successful too. I figured some of you city building fans would appreciate his videos, since he seems to go into the workings of his game a lot.

Amiibro

I would honestly be surprised if the requirements for this game were as high as the stated requirements, but we'll see. I'm sneakily expecting to be able to play this on a 2012 MBA.
I'm going to try I think. My computer runs WOW like a champ on decent settings. Not that it's a good bench mark but that game requires a video card, a small one at least normally.

spiritfox

I set up my Twitch to stream my PC/Cities Skylines. I'm pretty excited to stream/have the chat help me create a city. When does the game go live again? I'm in EST, did someone say 1 PM?

On a random note, has anybody been following this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMXHiBigfRbunsGLOm0Cpsw

He's been making a Sim City like game ALL BY HIMSELF.

I've been following him for a while, but then Cities Skylines popped up and I forgot about him. But it's pretty crazy that he's been doing this, I hope he's successful too. I figured some of you city building fans would appreciate his videos, since he seems to go into the workings of his game a lot.

Been following CityBound for a while. It'll be a while before it's in a releasable state though, even if he did pick up an additional member recently. Procedually generated buildings are a good way to get away from many of the problems I have with buildings in city builders, and his road system is amazing.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
The game runs in borderless windowed, so unless it has a fullscreen mode, SLI isn't going to do much good.

Besides, this game is more CPU dependent then GPU.

Kvik

The game runs in borderless windowed, so unless it has a fullscreen mode, SLI isn't going to do much good.

By default? So we won't need the launch parameter -popupwindow to make it run borderless since it's a Unity game. Hopefully the -adapter flag is working as well so it'll launch in my second monitor.

By default? So we won't need the launch parameter -popupwindow to make it run borderless since it's a Unity game. Hopefully the -adapter flag is working as well so it'll launch in my second monitor.

I think if you want to you can force it to run proper fullscreen with a command line flag but only in DX9 and it apparently has issues with high resolution. Probably something they will fix eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom