• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Clash of Clans |OT|

red13th

Damn I thought we had gotten it. I'll try to upgrade my camp to fit in another Dragon, I have exactly 195 slots.

Ocho

So, best time to start clan war? I've search around 8am both times since then it feels like we only fight one entire day, and not two days, thus war fatigue doesn't kick in. Don't know what you guys think and if we should change it for sometime around noon or later.

JesseZao

we should have won that war 50 to 60 attcack and only lose my one start.

So, best time to start clan war? I've search around 8am both times since then it feels like we only fight one entire day, and not two days, thus war fatigue doesn't kick in. Don't know what you guys think and if we should change it for sometime around noon or later.

We seem to have found the time that clans in the Philippines search. I'd be fine with later. We basically waste the last eight hours for US players.

Probably would be better to search later in the day to give us a better chance at closing a win. (Right now we just load most of our points halfway through the war and hope for the best.

Not a big fan of the current war time we've been using. Doesn't work well for us PST players, as most of us are probably sleeping when the wars end.

red13th

Current time works fine with me since I'm Brazilian and the wars end around 10PM so I can attack late. But I certainly wouldn't mind changing it if it's more convenient to everyone.

This might be of interest to some of the fans: The Supercell founders paid record amount of taxes this year (approx 150 million dollars this year alone), and decided not to use Tax Havens or any other tax loopholes.

A very rare trait in the modern CEO, I've found.

CoC money will buy a lot of hospitals and other services.

Here is the English translation.

Original Finnish article here.

Wow, that is really admirable. I work as a tax preparer so I know that 99% of people out there are concerned with paying as little tax as possible so they can keep as much money for themselves as possible. To actually deny perfectly legal tax breaks so you can pay more in taxes to benefit your society is an extremely rare and honorable decision to make. Good on them.

Ocho

Read my previous posts in the thread for my clans activity logger. Besides actually making a spreadsheet, the best way is to promote active (uses all war attacks, donates/farms often) people to elder. If they miss an attack in one war, demote them. This gives them the benefit of the doubt, but lets them know they are on thin ice unless they have an explanation for their missed attack. Miss attacks in the enxt war, especially both, and you're out.

So what do you guys think about this strategy mentioned by Booties? I can make a spreadsheet and promote/demote people based on this. Or is this too much? I want members (/especially gaffers) who participate and donate feel part of the clan, but I sometimes lose track of who has been here for a while lol.

JDdelphin

Making a list on who is what approx th level would be useful too, I'd say.

I'd donate way more but I just turned th6 and only have lvl3 troops as yet

Nobody reeeeally wants lvl3 troops lol

I could be a glorious benefactor to newbies, but not much else atm

mid TH7 level 46, still pretty new to the game. looking for an actively warring clan that will take in a TH7. The random clan i'm in has lost 3 or 4 wars in a row strictly due to poor participation. so anyone have an open slot with a relatively active clan?

also, I sniped my way to crystal 2 and have dropped back down to crystal 3. should I drop back to gold to farm or just continue nexting through crystal 3 and then sacrificing cups for a decent score here and there?

Does someone usually donate level 3 dragons to Clan War CC's, or should I keep the level 1 dragon? Can't remember from past wars.

Ocho

mid TH7 level 46, still pretty new to the game. looking for an actively warring clan that will take in a TH7. The random clan i'm in has lost 3 or 4 wars in a row strictly due to poor participation. so anyone have an open slot with a relatively active clan?

also, I sniped my way to crystal 2 and have dropped back down to crystal 3. should I drop back to gold to farm or just continue nexting through crystal 3 and then sacrificing cups for a decent score here and there?

We war twice per week. Search neogaf and request to join. :)

Ocho

Is this game legitimatley good? I've head a lot about it but always assumed it was some generic iOS game

We wouldn't be here if we didn't think it's good. I think it's one of the best.

In2VMBC.jpg

My fully upgraded TH6. The dream will only last 10 hours.

Ugh its so annoying how you can't control what your troops do, I sent them in and they started attacking this building while this canon was firing at them. Not one of them attacked the canon and so they all died.

And the worst part is after that you have to grind for more troops (and if you don't have any elixir you have to wait while your collectors slowly get enough). If you don't have any gems for the barracks then you have to wait even more for like 10-20 minutes. ....Of course, you can pay for the gems though.

HBP

We wouldn't be here if we didn't think it's good. I think it's one of the best.

My fully upgraded TH6. The dream will only last 10 hours.

I up graded to th7 too early and have paid the price, getting closer though.

broz0rs

Ugh its so annoying how you can't control what your troops do, I sent them in and they started attacking this building while this canon was firing at them. Not one of them attacked the canon and so they all died.

And the worst part is after that you have to grind for more troops (and if you don't have any elixir you have to wait while your collectors slowly get enough). If you don't have any gems for the barracks then you have to wait even more for like 10-20 minutes. ....Of course, you can pay for the gems though.

Prior to CoC, I played a lot of Starcraft so the concept that you couldn't control the units annoyed the shit out of me. As I kept playing, I learned that there's strategy involving the inability to control units. Each unit has a specific task and I would say that many battles are lost because of the conflict that comes within your own army.

In the situation that was described, the building needs to be cleared asap. You can do that by having a few barbarians attack the building and tank the turrets. Archers needs to be placed while the barbarians are tanking. Once the building is cleared and there's no nearby structures, you should send out a lot more barbarians because now they will be able to target the walls. It's a lot easier once you have giants.

Prior to CoC, I played a lot of Starcraft so the concept that you couldn't control the units annoyed the shit out of me. As I kept playing, I learned that there's strategy involving the inability to control units. Each unit has a specific task and I would say that many battles are lost because of the conflict that comes within your own army.

In the situation that was described, the building needs to be cleared asap. You can do that by having a few barbarians attack the building and tank the turrets. Archers needs to be placed while the barbarians are tanking. Once the building is cleared and there's no nearby structures, you should send out a lot more barbarians because now they will be able to target the walls. It's a lot easier once you have giants.

Yeah... I'm stuck at a level now. These mortars are one shotting all my archers and barbarians. I guess I just gonna have to wait a day or so so I can get enough elixr to upgrade my barracks to level 4 and get giants. And then you have to wait two hours just for your barracks to actually upgrade, even more if your workers are busy. And you seemingly can't get more building huts without paying a bunch of gems. And then I have to wait even longer for even more elixr so I can upgrade my two gold storages enough so that I can hold enough gold to upgrade my town hall (25000). Seems like there's so much waiting in this game if you aren't paying for gems. Or am I doing it wrong?

You're gonna hate this game if you think those wait times are actually long. These games feast on people like you who have no patience and spend gems on everything since they can't wait a few hours or minutes. I just hit th9 about a week ago after completely maxxing everything at Th8 but Valkyrie/Golem and I haven't bought a single gem. This game is a marathon not a sprint. I would suggest you read strategies and watch videos to learn more what to do. The point in the game you're at is really easy and its not uncommon for me to see people at your stage in the game sitting with max storages all the time.

You're gonna hate this game if you think those wait times are actually long. These games feast on people like you who have no patience and spend gems on everything since they can't wait a few hours or minutes. I just hit th9 about a week ago after completely maxxing everything at Th8 but Valkyrie/Golem and I haven't bought a single gem. This game is a marathon not a sprint. I would suggest you read strategies and watch videos to learn more what to do. The point in the game you're at is really easy and its not uncommon for me to see people at your stage in the game sitting with max storages all the time.

So I'm impatient because I don't want to wait a few hours? Give me a break.

broz0rs

Yeah... I'm stuck at a level now. These mortars are one shotting all my archers and barbarians. I guess I just gonna have to wait a day or so so I can get enough elixr to upgrade my barracks to level 4 and get giants. And then you have to wait two hours just for your barracks to actually upgrade, even more if your workers are busy. And you seemingly can't get more building huts without paying a bunch of gems. And then I have to wait even longer for even more elixr so I can upgrade my two gold storages enough so that I can hold enough gold to upgrade my town hall (25000). Seems like there's so much waiting in this game if you aren't paying for gems. Or am I doing it wrong?

You're not doing anything wrong. Your qualms are common for F2P players. When I first started playing, I determined I like the concept of the game so I spent $10 to obtain two additional builders.That really helped move the game a lot faster. I believe that was the only amount of money I've ever spent on the game. I've spent hundreds on other mobile games, but I don't feel the urge to do so with CoC because of my playstyle.

How you approach CoC is also in general how you approach mobile games. Some people like to play for just minutes at a time, then put away the phone for the rest of the day. That's perfect for F2P. Whereas some players like to be fully glued to CoC for hours on a PC screen and get ten raids in an hour. Using gems will make it much more fun for that type of playstyle. Regardless, there's no wrong way to approach the game. Just make sure your walls are upgraded.

itsgreen

Well, a bit yes, but mostly because it is going to get much much much much much worse for you if you think 2 hours is a problem.

I'm reasonably high and I don't have upgrades that are shorter than 5 days.

So if you think 2 hours in unmanageable, what is 14 days upgrade time?

gutshot

This game is not the type of game you sit down and play for a long stretch of time and expect to get a lot accomplished. It is one you pick up and play for short bursts many times throughout the day. Time/builder management is an important aspect of the game, especially at later levels. If that isn't really fun for you, then this game may not be for you.

Booties

Banned
If you're troops aren't attacking what you want it's because you are deploying them poorly.

You need to pick off outlier buildings first and then pound inward toward the base. Not taking out the buildings on the perimeter of the outer walls or on the edge of the map will cause your troops to circle around the base and absorb more damage.

Deploy small amounts of troops to take out the outside stuff, then focus on the near defese. Sneak a WB in to penetrate, then unload. Just make sure you are actually targeting the inner structures or else your troops will turn around and walk along the outside of the base.

Well, a bit yes, but mostly because it is going to get much much much much much worse for you if you think 2 hours is a problem.

I'm reasonably high and I don't have upgrades that are shorter than 5 days.

So if you think 2 hours in unmanageable, what is 14 days upgrade time?

Holy crap, 14 days? I knew it was going to get longer but.. woah. I really feel like this game is just built around trying to convince people to buy these gems so you don't have to wait days to get significant progress instead of focusing on being a good game first, I mean there's no good justification for crazy wait times like that. I wish they would do free to play the right way like Team Fortress 2 does. In that game developers get money from people paying for silly decorations and trading for rare weapons (that don't actually give you an advantage, heck the default weapons are arguably the best) but the default game is untouched because they know that in a good free to play game making (real) money shouldn't impact the game itself. And they still get a ton of money.

Booties

Banned
Holy crap, 14 days? I knew it was going to get longer but.. woah. I really feel like this game is just built around trying to convince people to buy these gems so you don't have to wait days to get significant progress instead of focusing on being a good game first, I mean there's no good justification for crazy wait times like that. I wish they would do free to play the right way like Team Fortress 2 does. In that game developers get money from people paying for silly decorations and trading for rare weapons (that don't actually give you an advantage, heck the default weapons are arguably the best) but the default game is untouched because they know the making money aspect of free to play shouldn't impact the game itself. And they still get a ton of money.

They are literally making fist fulls of cash by the second. I don't think they are doing anything wrong. Stop complaining about time, it won't be received well here at all.

They are literally making fist fulls of cash by the second. I don't think they are doing anything wrong. Stop complaining about time, it won't be received well here at all.

Well, of course. Its one of the most popular mobile games. I'm just saying that they impacted the default game itself with this time 'mechanic' in order to give players an incentive to spend money on the game when a good free to play game keeps the default game the same but encourages players to spend money on other things to enhance their experience without actually affecting the game itself or giving them a significant advantage (In this case that advantage is not having to wait two weeks)

Booties

Banned
Well, of course. Its one of the most popular mobile games. I'm just saying that they impacted the default game itself with this time 'mechanic' in order to give players an incentive to spend money on the game when a good free to play game keeps the default game the same but encourages players to spend money on other things to enhance their experience without actually affecting the game itself or giving them a significant advantage (In this case that advantage is not having to wait two weeks)

Lol. Seriously comparing PC FPS mechanics to a FTP phone real-time MMO is amazing. You are amazing.

Lol. Seriously comparing PC FPS mechanics to a FTP phone real-time MMO is amazing. You are amazing.

I don't get how the genre of the game changes the free to play business model? Especially one that is seemingly as intrusive as Clash of Clan's. But thanks for being immature and laughing down at me and my obviously inferior views.

Booties

Banned
I don't get how the genre of the game changes the free to play model? But thanks for being immature and laughing down at me and my obviously inferior views.

It's a real time game, so the genre kinda matters. You're opinion on the other hand, does not.

It's a real time game, so the genre kinda matters. You're opinion on the other hand, does not.

I really don't get how you think dramatically impacting the actual game itself and making these huge wait times as an incentive for money is somehow a requirement for a RTS MMO or changes anything. Just because its a FPS on a PC doesn't mean they don't have a good model, this game would hugely benefit in quality if the free to play mechanics didn't impact the base game and you didn't have to wait two weeks to upgrade a base but the developers still got money from encouraging people to buy, say, fancy base themes that make their towns stand out from others.

Also, your opinion doesn't really matter either. No one's does. Its all subjective

Booties

Banned
I really don't get how you think dramatically impacting the actual game itself and making these huge wait times as an incentive for money is somehow a requirement for a RTS MMO or changes anything. Just because its a FPS on a PC doesn't mean they don't have a good model, this game would hugely benefit in quality if the free to play mechanics didn't impact the base game and you didn't have to wait two weeks to upgrade a base but the developers still got money from encouraging people to buy, say, fancy base themes that make their towns stand out from others.

Also, your opinion doesn't really matter either. No one's does. Its all subjective

Man you really don't get it. It's a real time MMO. Upgrades in real time MMOs have always been designed to take a long time. This isn't the first game to do this. TF2's model works because it's a different type of game. They are offering customization, CoC is offering progess faster. The gem currency doesn't impact the long build times. The long build times are a classic part of the genre. The gems are just a new mechanic that devs used to make money. And guess what? It works amazingly well.

Man you really don't get it. It's a real time MMO. Upgrades in real time MMOs have always been designed to take a long time. This isn't the first game to do this. TF2's model works because it's a different type of game. They are offering customization, CoC is offering progess faster. The gem currency doesn't impact the long build times. The long build times are a classic part of the genre. The gems are just a new mechanic that devs used to make money. And guess what? It works amazingly well.

What's the benefit of it taking weeks to upgrade in a RTS MMO then if the design has been around for a while and isn't just a mechanic for making money? I really don't get how that makes the game any more fun or benefits the player. At least with other types of MMO's you have something to do, like grinding.

Even so, offering progress faster, unlike customization, is a direct benefit to people who pay and probably isn't the best idea for a free to play game regardless of the genre (Or how much money it makes).

EDIT: I see you're ignoring me. Ah well, from your initial impression I should have realized that you're the type of person that assumes you're right and looks down and laughs on anyone else who has a different opinion or may not be as informed as you are. Thanks for the discussion though, I honestly didn't know about the RTS MMO genre.

Booties

Banned
Aaaaaaaaaaanywho, finally uploaded a picture of my base today to share with y'all:

jlTfljX.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/jlTfljX.jpg

This is my normal base, my war base is the TH8 mantis posted with a modification for the 4th mortar. This base here is my own lazy ass farm creation. I haven't have a whole lot of money worth defending yet so I don't know how it performs, but I wanted to put a few defensive things near my th in case I can get a few trophies while farming. It has a lot of giant bombs between 3 defensive structures which should stop most hog attacks. Should defend well against dragons. A TH9 will beat this no problem if only because of the AQ availability. Should also do well against giants, but I havent' seen it happen yet.

I am finished upgrading my ADs to level 6 to counter dragons in war, all my mortars are up to max as well, except the 4th which finishes tomorrow. I am focusing on my Wizard Towers now - 1 is max, another I started today, and another in a couple days I hope. My other builder is working on the teslas since that just takes forever. 2 at level 5, 1 at level 4 (max is 6 so it's far away still).

Research is looking good. Barch, wiz, giants, balloons are level 5. Dragons and Minions are level 3. Just unlocked pekkas so I will upgrade them soon, then WBs. BK is slowly reaching level 10 as DE is available. After WBs I will continue researching minions for my future balloonion attacks.

Cannons and ATs are my lowest priority.

Ocho

Chezzymann has valid complaints about the game, no need to invalidate his opinion, Booties.

Yes, unfortunately, this is how the genre works. Some will like it, others won't. I prefer upgrades take time since they give a sense of accomplishment over others when you have your base decked out, and it doesn't require constant micromanaging. I think this is what makes CoC tick for me, I can play every 20-30 mins for 2-5 mins at a time, and still have a blast, or I can ignore the game for a day, and still progress.

You don't really need to spend gems at all.

JesseZao

Chezzymann has valid complaints about the game, no need to invalidate his opinion, Booties.

Yes, unfortunately, this is how the genre works. Some will like it, others won't. I prefer upgrades take time since they give a sense of accomplishment over others when you have your base decked out, and it doesn't require constant micromanaging. I think this is what makes CoC tick for me, I can play every 20-30 mins for 2-5 mins at a time, and still have a blast, or I can ignore the game for a day, and still progress.

You don't really need to spend gems at all.

Exactly why it's successful. If it was real time and fast upgrades, people would get frustrated at the prospect of "losing progress" because they can't play all the time. It's one of the common reasons people don't like to sub to MMOs.

The stretched pace gives you a feeling of steady progress and freedom to play as often as you like. For me, it's the clan wars that make the game sso fun. That, and the fact that getting your base destroyed isn't painful like in a normal RTS, since you just instantly recover when you log in.

I didn't like the battle mechanics at first, but I came back and just adjusted to it. It's a hump you have to get over, but it doesn't last long. Knowing how enemy troops will behave helps you build your base.

itsgreen

Holy crap, 14 days? I knew it was going to get longer but.. woah. I really feel like this game is just built around trying to convince people to buy these gems so you don't have to wait days to get significant progress instead of focusing on being a good game first, I mean there's no good justification for crazy wait times like that. I wish they would do free to play the right way like Team Fortress 2 does. In that game developers get money from people paying for silly decorations and trading for rare weapons (that don't actually give you an advantage, heck the default weapons are arguably the best) but the default game is untouched because they know that in a good free to play game making (real) money shouldn't impact the game itself. And they still get a ton of money.

14 days is long, but fine. Those upgrades are expensive 5-7 million gold, it takes time to gather it...

I think it is pretty well balanced, I haven't spend a billion bucks. Have only gemmed a couple of things like a spell factory, which you kinda need all the time. And sometimes to free up a builder cause my storages are full...

I think Supercell is doing it pretty well. I'd say the additional builders are the only must buys...

Chezzymann: I am quick to call out developers who make shitty "F2P" cash grab games, and I don't think Supercell is guilty of this. It is perfectly possible to succeed in Clash of Clans as a F2P player, it just takes longer. As you can see, plenty of us have lots of fun playing CoC without ever spending a dime on it. I agree with ocho that one of the best things about this game is that I can play it in short bursts throughout the day, or even not at all, and still progress. Sure, I'm not going to be one of the top players in the world, but it's still fun to play.

Booties: I agree with most of what you said, but not the way you said it. There's no need to be rude.

14 days is long, but fine. Those upgrades are expensive 5-7 million gold, it takes time to gather it...

I think it is pretty well balanced, I haven't spend a billion bucks. Have only gemmed a couple of things like a spell factory, which you kinda need all the time. And sometimes to free up a builder cause my storages are full...

I think Supercell is doing it pretty well. I'd say the additional builders are the only must buys...

Spell factory downtime is a real killer.

Booties

Banned
Spell factory downtime is a real killer.

Yeah that might be the single worst thing when you are in an active war clan. That and the BK/AQ upgrades. The heros should be available at least during clan wars. I don't know how they would even be able to do that, but that would be a huge help. I can suck it up and not use my BK when raiding, but that is a huge handicap during war.

Ocho

1 hour 58 left in war. Use all your attacks, guys. Try to get easy stars, no need to get high levels. War is close.

Upgrading heroes at low lvls is so painful. Not having your hero around for a few days is devastating as far as attack efficiency. Same with spell factor.

Both should be usable while being upgraded.

Top Bottom