• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cliffy B's new game is BlueStreak, a sci-fi f2p PC arena shooter with Nexon

Kydd BlaZe

I wonder if Dude Huge still posts here...

Back on topic, I've always been a fan of Cliffy's work. I really want to see how this turns out.

Sulik2

I have no problem with it being free to play, but Nexon? Really? They have the worst customer support ever. I just got a reply email to a support ticket I opened 23 months ago about Vindictus.

Xerotwo

Shit, Nexon's probably one of the worst to have any new games in.

We're probably going to see lots of P2W and expensive shit that literally bogs the game down.

Hopefully Cliffy B will take note of that and prevent that from happening.

KiraXD

Yes, it's an industry. People need to make money to pay bills, to eat and to continue making games. And the investors who put millions on a company want to see them back. Everybody who work here knows it.

If they make F2P worthy players can pay them a lot more than the 60 bucks or even the price of the Collector edition. And if it's shit they only pay for free. F2P is more democratic regarding pricing.

Plenty of developers make money without resorting to F2P...

The way i see it is:

Full retail AAA Games = Game First, Money Second
F2P Games = Money First, Game Second

Obviously its a business... Obviously its about making money. But lets not pretend that a F2P game is being made for its gameplay and story. Its sole purpose is to make money, and to get the most money by hiding behind graphics and segmented gameplay.

You dont go to the movies and think, hey you know what would make an awesome movie? If we only see half of it, and get charged to see different endings or alternate scenes.

I've always enjoyed Cliff's games. This being a Sci Arena PC Shooter sounds great. I just hope its not pay 2 win. I'll be all in if its a balanced shooter.

valeo

What was the Valve shitty tron-like game?

I think it'll be shitty like that.

Don't you dare diss Richochet

GOAT

Ricochet.jpg

The way i see it is:

Obviously its a business... Obviously its about making money. But lets not pretend that a F2P game is being made for its gameplay and story. Its sole purpose is to make money, and to get the most money by hiding behind graphics and segmented gameplay.

You dont go to the movies and think, hey you know what would make an awesome movie? If we only see half of it, and get charged to see different endings or alternate scenes.

Depends. Dota 2 is not money first at all.

sleepykyo

I want this to have anime designs. And the F2P model to be strictly cosmetic.

I want to see a company actually do a true regional split (not the Nier redesign the main only). Full on MK/Batman style (Unreal) in the US and Europe, then Guilty Gear (also Unreal) style in Asia.

Orayn

The way i see it is:

You still haven't responded to all the posts about F2P games that don't do that shit.

I understand that they're inconvenient for your terrible garbage argument, but you have to at least try.

Ploid 3.0

F2P works for TF2. Let's wait for details before dismissing it.

Yeah people are so quick to hate on F2P games. Some of my most played games this/last gen were F2P, and I haven't gotten into the MOBA games yet. I don't play them so much because they force me to grind also, those type of games lose my interest quick.

ghst

thanks for the laugh

The way i see it is:

full retail AAA games expect you to hand over your money largely based on blind faith, so making a game that is easy to market and has its appeal clearly visible from the surface is paramount. this leads to an overwhelming amount of resources poured into making the game as visually spectacular and immediately familiar as possible.

free to play games attempt to siphon your cash through your continuous investment. a game which is visually stunning but mechanically empty won't extract anywhere near the revenue of something crass looking but ultimately compelling. the best F2P philosophies have so much confidence in their games' mechanics that they only sell tertiary items which have zero effect on gameplay, but visually reflect the user's desire to express themselves within the game itself.

both models have their advantages and disadvantages, both are ripe with abuse, but GAF is an arthritic dinosaur which swears by its indoctrination to age old systems and it makes threads like this depressing reading.

NBtoaster

We know the name and genre, seems a little early for so much vitriol.

#unlockthefun was not well thought out, but it's obviously referring to the studio name and not the pricing model.

sleepykyo

The way i see it is:

But we do pay a premium to see deleted scenes and alternate endings on dvd. ie. Director's Cut/Premium Edition v. Special/Standard edition. You can see it however you want but it seems strange not to apply that cynicism equally. If anything the $60 game doesn't have to offer any post purchase support since they've received all their money all front while the f2p games have to rebalance and patch to ensure players keep playing and hopefully spend something. Let's not pretend full retail games aren't money first.

KiraXD

You still haven't responded to all the posts about F2P games that don't do that shit.

I understand that they're inconvenient for your terrible garbage argument, but you have to at least try.

what argument? you mean my opinion on F2P? first off...

It's still bullshit if they're ONLY cosmetic and you can also earn them in-game or trade for them?

Also, what about Dota 2 and Path of Exile? Not REAL GAMES for REAL GAMERS?

To be fair, this is part of a new wave of Nexon games by Western developers, and they seem to have some understanding of what kind of business model will and won't fly over here.

i literally said NOTHING relating to that. I said F2P isnt the way to get gamers to give you money... i didnt say F2P Arent REAL GAMES or comprised of "REAL GAMERS."

Why are you looking for an argument where there IS NONE?

I said: FRAGMENTING A GAME, and offering things, that we USED to earn via hard work in-game, for real cash... EVEN COSMETIC... is bullshit.

You think its okay to take a full game... break it up into a million little pieces, and charge for every piece? Sure Cosmetic is fine, it changes 0 gameplay so who cares... right?

What about Dota2? What about Warframe? F2P is F2P... Its taking a base game, and figuring out how to make the most money. Id rather not pay to speed up crafting time. Or for that new costume... but hey THANKS for shoving your store in my face everytime i want to play for free.

But please, feel free to provide your opinion on F2P

ChipotIe

Banned
All the people saying no to F2P, also know that LoL and Dota are F2P right?

TF2 as well.

Don't sweat it though. Vocal minority and all~

As for the OP, Cliffy B had some very harsh things to say about... well... everything. E3, CG trailers, wasted money on demo builds and show-off tech that aren't representative of the final game, and hell, he had things to say about Gaf as well so I'm interested to see how this turns out, if it is indeed a real thing.

J-Rzez

I'm totally fine with F2P games, done right, with no P2W bullshit. What I'm concerned with is how this is going to handle. If it's like the older arena shooters, fast and nimble, that's ok and will keep an eye on it. If your character is going to move like they're wading through a swamp of dicks, then forget it.

SOME-MIST

2GD said he will try to make development streams every two weeks after TI4 ends.

best news I've heard in awhile.

itshappening.gif

We know FOUR things at the very least.

F2P - I'm out
PC only - I'm out
Arena shooter - I'm out
Nexon - I'm out

I dunno much about nexon, but both warsow and quake live are top notch f2p pc arena shooters. granted quake live is q3, but it's still a winning formula.

Zeliard

I'm in, Tribes Ascend worked great as free to play.

It most certainly did not. A lot of its problems came from its dire F2P model, along with absolutely awful support from Hi-Rez. Myriad balancing issues as a result of Hi-Rez adding new weapons and items with no rhyme or reason beyond needing additional sources of revenue, in the process worsening some of the core issues the game already had to begin with. A number of weapons and items (and even an entire class) are outright banned in competitive play because they're just broken.

This isn't to say that F2P can't be done well, and a PC-only arena shooter being F2P this day and age is the least surprising thing ever, but Tribes: Ascend did not do it right.

Zaph

It most certainly did not. A lot of its problems came from its dire F2P model, along with absolutely awful support from Hi-Rez. Myriad balancing issues as a result of Hi-Rez adding new weapons and items with no rhyme or reason beyond needing additional sources of revenue, in the process worsening some of the core issues the game already had to begin with. A number of weapons and items (and even an entire class) are outright banned in competitive play because they're just broken.

This isn't to say that F2P can't be done well, and a PC-only arena shooter being F2P this day and age is the least surprising thing ever, but Tribes: Ascend did not do it right.

Yup. Was a huge fan of Tribes (my parents were not a fan of the phone bill), but Ascend soured me completely on the concept of F2P arena shooters.

Hopefully all the work done in the MOBA scene will give future developers a list of what not to do, but I honestly doubt the business model of MOBA's can transfer to shooters easily because of the critical mass needed to keep it financially viable.

Blue streak, speeds by
Sonic the Hegdehog.
Too fast, for the naked eye,
Sonic the Hegdehog.
Sonic, he can really move.
Sonic, he's got an attitude.
Sonic, he's the fastest thing aliiiieiiiive.

No one else think that?

jem0208

what argument? you mean my opinion on F2P? first off...

i literally said NOTHING relating to that. I said F2P isnt the way to get gamers to give you money... i didnt say F2P Arent REAL GAMES or comprised of "REAL GAMERS."

Why are you looking for an argument where there IS NONE?

I said: FRAGMENTING A GAME, and offering things, that we USED to earn via hard work in-game, for real cash... EVEN COSMETIC... is bullshit.

You think its okay to take a full game... break it up into a million little pieces, and charge for every piece? Sure Cosmetic is fine, it changes 0 gameplay so who cares... right?

What about Dota2? What about Warframe? F2P is F2P... Its taking a base game, and figuring out how to make the most money. Id rather not pay to speed up crafting time. Or for that new costume... but hey THANKS for shoving your store in my face everytime i want to play for free.

But please, feel free to provide your opinion on F2P

F2P is fucking great if done well.

If a game is f2p I am 1000% more likely to try it than if it costed money. Literally the only issue I would have is if it's worth the time to download.

If the game sucks I've lost nothing and can delete it and move on with my life. If it's great however I can buy a couple of cool skins and support the dev.

One of the best things about f2p is that they are usually supported for quite some time after release with updates and expansions etc. And most of the time these updates are completely free.

I've never understood the hate for f2p. You are literally getting a game for free with some pointless skins / hats that you can buy if you wish.

jem0208

It's okay that you're bad at games.

:p

I'm assuming you're joking but I'm actually pretty good at PC FPS. I've played a quite a bit of Quake but the game I really got into was Shootmania. I was in the top 15 players of CTF a couple of weeks ago. Haven't had much time to play since but I was pretty damn good at that game.

I just prefer Halo.

Oops, double post. Sorry

syko de4d

Bluestreak needs to have a good f2p model because it will compete with Unreal Tournament, which comes with an awesome f2p model.

If it´s end p2w people will just play the new UT.

mkenyon

Banned
I'm assuming you're joking but I'm actually pretty good at PC FPS. I've played a quite a bit of Quake but the game I really got into was Shootmania. I was in the top 15 players of CTF a couple of weeks ago. Haven't had much time to play since but I was pretty damn good at that game.

I just prefer Halo.

Oops, double post. Sorry
Yeah, I'm joking.

dLMN8R

It reconfirms everything I think about Zynga that Marc Pinkus would show up to a meeting with CliffyB 45 minutes late.

Top Bottom