• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cliffy B's new game is BlueStreak, a sci-fi f2p PC arena shooter with Nexon

mkenyon

Banned
There's this all time great game called Unreal Tournament. Don't know if you or others in this thread have heard of it. The Cliffy guy being mentioned in this thread was a key part of making UT what it was. I don't see how it can be unfortunate that Cliffy is making another deathmatch FPS.
I couldn't hear you over this.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
They've signed:
-Dirty Bomb (Enemy Territory successor by Splash Damage)
-Brian Reynold's new company (Brian Reynolds was the lead designer on Alpha Centauri and Civ II)
-John Schappert's new company
-Human Element by fourzerotwo's new studio
-A new f2p title by the devs of Sleeping Dogs
-And now this

Or, so we'll have to sign up for the Nexon servers then?

No thanks, Cliffy. Unless I'm not having to sign up for another F2P service provider that'll have population drop six months/a year later... do it like Path of Exile, where you login via Steam and maybe we'll talk.
Though PoE is getting the same population drop. :/

mkenyon

Banned
Nexon is the only really bad item here. But yeah Nexon is pretty bad.
Eh, I wouldn't look into that aspect too much. With this and Dirty Bomb in their portfolio, I think it displays an attempt to capture an audience that is otherwise a diaspora.

Kifimbo

Nexon already spending money.

kMJDMsf.jpg

Draft

I think the reaction here is bordering on circlejerk. The console guys being aggro makes sense. The anti F2P guys need to get their heads on straight. F2P is the future, especially of online only games. Parterning with Nexon probably dooms this game but I suspect most people spewing venom don't even know about Nexon. They see it's a PC F2P arena shooter and are mad and I'm like what did you think Clifford was going to make? Jazz Jackrabbit Isometric Adventure Game?

We know FOUR things at the very least.

F2P - I'm out
PC only - I'm out
Arena shooter - I'm out
Nexon - I'm out

Why are you in this thread then?
An arena pc shooter is exactly what a lot of people want...
There are no good arena shooters anymore other than quake live and maybe warsow (both of which were released ages ago)

What did you want then? Another 3rd person covershootbang for the consoles like gears of war? Because there aren't a million of those already...

OT: Nexon has published some f2p games with fairly benign f2p systems
VIndictus EU didn't nickle and dime people as far as I remember, there was a bag expansion that gave you all the bag space you could ever need and no ability to buy power or anything.
There was lots of underwear to buy though

Dirty bomb seems to have the league of legends f2p system (unlock the other heroes either ingame or buy them outright + buy cosmetics)

There's like 5 f2p tiers from benign to EA evil.
1.: no gameplay or mechanics or convenience is locked behind grinding or paying, it's simply a full free game with cosmetics being sold

I only know of dota2 being like this

2. there is some grind or minor inconvenience but it's behind a small paywall, you can essentially buy a full version that isn't arbitrarily crippled in any way game for little money (the price of a regular game or less)
alternatively you can unlock the full game for a small fee

e.g tribes: ascend, runescape , vindictus (nexon game)

3: there is a lot of grind and locked out content , these games can be a massive moneypit if you want the full game, but you can still over time access all the content and there may be rotations to give you access to some of the paywall content.
These games can still be played without spending money, but would undoubtably be better without the f2p shit.

e.g world of tanks (huge moneypit game at the high level), league of legends (just a huge timesink to unlock the heroes)

You can buy power, you can't access content without paying, the game is designed around whales dumping money into it while the rest of the userbase is only tolerated to give the whales someone to play against. Their enjoyment is of no interest to the developer.
e.g battlefield p4f and basically 95 percent of f2p games out there on pc and some of the mobile stuff

5.they don't even bother with game mechanics , the game is just a big compulsion loop with energy bars and timers and is nothing but a skinnerbox designed to farm its players

e.g facebook games, 90+percent of mobile games

The more recent nexon games I know of fall into the nr 2 category , which isn't bad.
Their older games were mostly in the 3-4 category

As for cliffy's game
An arena shooter without mod support and community made maps is not going to last, with it being f2p that is most likely already out of the window.
It should never have any sort of grind or unlocks, quake &co are good games because they are pure unadultered gameplay, there is no room for gun attachments or whatever other f2p garbage they'll do in a game like this
You need dedicated servers (obviously), with a high tick rate (obviously) and a proper server browser. Dirty bomb has these so hopefully so should his game.

Who else is working on this besides him though? Anyone from the original UT team? Who is designing the maps? What engine will they use (what engine CAN they use since they all have such pathetic netcode and/or input code now)

I think the reaction here is bordering on circlejerk. The console guys being aggro makes sense. The anti F2P guys need to get their heads on straight. F2P is the future, especially of online only games. Parterning with Nexon probably dooms this game but I suspect most people spewing venom don't even know about Nexon. They see it's a PC F2P arena shooter and are mad and I'm like what did you think Clifford was going to make? Jazz Jackrabbit Isometric Adventure Game?

Something original? He sees himself as king shit for a reason.

Kalnos

Banned
I think there are maybe 4 people in this thread that actually know what an Arena Shooter is.

Reborn will probably be better but this is still interesting.

Saty

The difference is that you know that you're getting a complete game (most of the time) for $60. The developer cannot do anything after you've paid your $60 in most cases to try and get more cash out of you to complete your experience. Sure, some games do day-of-release DLC but usually it is inconsequential things.

I could just as easily say that a 60$ game means a 5-8 hour long game for a full price; that it's going to be padded and bolstered; that it's going to have exclusive content split across retailers and platforms; that it will have overpriced DLC; that it's MP going to be splintered by paid map-packs and so on and so on.

Adnor

Banned
Yeah really - he couldn't have come out of retirement to work on something more underwhelming. I can't even muster up the motivation to shrug.

This is exactly what I wanted him to do: a f2p arena shooter. Anything else (except a new Jazz Jackrabbit) would have been a disappointment to me.

mkenyon

Banned
I think there are maybe 4 people in this thread that actually know what an Arena Shooter is.

Reborn will probably be better but this is still interesting.
Way more than that. They're twitch base games that require no strategy and aren't awesome and realistic.

I'm kidding. Q3A, Tribes, and Warsow for life.

Arkam

Funny how people flip their shit over f2p yet have no issues with DOTA or LoL. F2P isnt the devil, Ill wait till I see some footage before reacting like a manchild.

Well said! The reactions here have been a bit shortsighted IMO. Might want to wait til the game is shown before getting to worked up.

"Halo is not an arena game."

I partially disagree with this. Halo 1 had a lot of the same trappings as an Arena Shooter; weapon pickups, powerups, everyone starting completely equal in weapons/health, etc.

It's just not a *good* Arena shooter.

"Halo?"

He specified "good."

2573415-9914461101-25733.jpg

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox/halo-2

I don't get it.

Grew up playing arena shooters. Controllers are anathema to me. And I did specify CA. Halo is not an arena game.

I grew up playing arena shooters as well. How is Halo not an arena shooter? I mean it depends on which you play but Halo 1/2/3/2A seem like arena shooters to me.

Edit: Am I misinformed on what an arena shooter is? If so please explain but I thought it was an FPS with equal starts, power ups, no ADS etc.

Orayn

I grew up playing arena shooters as well. How is Halo not an arena shooter? I mean it depends on which you play but Halo 1/2/3/2A seem like arena shooters to me.

Edit: Am I misinformed on what an arena shooter is? If so please explain but I thought it was an FPS with equal starts, power ups, no ADS etc.

Halo (sans 4) is closer to an arena shooter than something like CoD, but the two weapon weapon limit, regenerating health, and slower/less technical movement make it pretty different from the Quake/Unreal games that people typically use the term to talk about.

JesseZao

Don't know that I've played a game published by nexon before, but hopefully the model is consumer friendly. I'll give it a shot.

Nzyme32

You might want to rethink your ideas of what an arena shooter is and if you have ever played one. I have yet to play a console arena shooter that compares to the experience of one developed for the PC. Prime example would be the shambles of UT3. If you want it to work on both, you have to compromise on both. When ever they let a mouse loose on a console or a controller with similar accurate, sensitive, velocity based control, you'd great arena shooters on that platform.

"Prime example would be the shambles of UT3."

Mechanically, UT3 is as good as any other UT game, though. The problem with UT3 wasn't the gameplay.

mkenyon

Banned
Halo (sans 4) is closer to an arena shooter than something like CoD, but the two weapon weapon limit, regenerating health, and slower/less technical movement make it pretty different from the Quake/Unreal games that people typically use the term to talk about.
Yep, this exactly.

The two weapon limit thing is the biggie for me. That changes the entire way the game works. You're limited to just a few styles of play at any given moment, whereas with an arena shooter, you have to be master of them all at all times.

jWILL253

Banned
How can there be a defense force for a F2P game that is barely beginning the stages of development, from a publisher with a shoddy F2P reputation?

I know it's CliffyB and he's a brand name at this point, but come on...

mkenyon

Banned
How can there be a defense force about a F2P game that is barely beginning the stages of development, from a publisher with a shoddy F2P reputation?

1) Reputation isn't totally shoddy. They're planning good things for Dirty Bomb, and Vindictus wasn't bad F2P.

2) You can swap out, "how can there be a defense force", with, "how can there be an attack force", and your point remains valid.

But to answer your question directly, fans of the Best FPS** Genre have been craving something for a long time. We're a neglected, highly competitive, and very passionate bunch.

**This is objective.***

***Not really.

turcy

PC only arena shooter from Mr. B?

i'm in.

[and no, Halo is not an arena shooter, it's far too slow for that]

How can there be a defense force for a F2P game that is barely beginning the stages of development, from a publisher with a shoddy F2P reputation?

There should not be an attack force either when we don't know nothing about the game itself or the model style.

Atomski

Its great to see Arena Shooters make a comeback on PC. Sure being F2P kinda sucks but hopefully this and other Arena Shooters on the way will have a good F2P system..

Top Bottom