• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cliffy B's new game is BlueStreak, a sci-fi f2p PC arena shooter with Nexon

SamVonSam

Neo Member
So, we've got this Unreal Tournament, Fortnite, Hunt: Horrors of the Gilded Age and more coming plus existing f2p shooters like Planetside 2 and Team Fortress 2.

This announcement isn't much to go on right now though. Will be interested to see how Blue Streak will differentiate itself beyond just being an arena shooter.

low-G

Personally, I didn't think Cliff would go the F2P way. I've never fully enjoyed a F2P game, so I have low expectations...

2San

Personally, I didn't think Cliff would go the F2P way. I've never fully enjoyed a F2P game, so I have low expectations...
Well if you followed Cliffy in the past months it was pretty obvious he was making a f2p sci-fi arena shooter.

I didn't expect Nexon as publisher though.
So, we've got this Unreal Tournament, Fortnite, Hunt: Horrors of the Gilded Age and more coming plus existing f2p shooters like Planetside 2 and Team Fortress 2.

This announcement isn't much to go on right now though. Will be interested to see how Blue Streak will differentiate itself beyond just being an arena shooter.
Being an arena shooter is already unique enough these days.

The End

I've started to develop a bad habit with F2P games: I play for as long as I can without investing real dollars in a game, and as soon as I do, I get bored and stop playing it.

I played warframe from update 8-12 and then I stocked up on plat in the amazon christmas sale. A month later I uninstalled it, I think I still have 400+ plat on my account.

I started playing Marvel Heroes a couple months ago after I got a couple random hero boxes. I jumped on the Avengers pack in the steamsale and now... ehhh.

low-G

Well if you followed Cliffy in the past months it was pretty obvious he was making a f2p sci-fi arena shooter.

I don't because I think he's obnoxious. I knew about everything but the F2P part. I thought he was gonna do a cool indie non-F2P thing.

SparkTR

I wonder why he didn't stay with Epic for UT, either way the more Arena shooters the better. I'll probably stick with UT because Nexon has a bad reputation.

I don't mind f2p when done right and I love myself some high paced arena shooting, but if this requires any sort of Nexon platform I'll have to say thanks but no thanks.

Gurrry

Hopefully they release DLC maps a month down the line that knock everyone off the dedicated servers and onto laggy p2p, forcing everyone who wants a good connection to buy the new maps!

/gears3rant

sounds horrible as we know Cliffyb's stance on certain things. I wonder if there will be a pay tier where he allows you to stream the game without him taking your ad revenue

Suite Pee

Willing to learn
I'm more interested in the new UT project, as far-fetched as that one sounds.

I'm a bit surprised this wasn't a mobile game, but it seems about the right time for him to try and dabble in the things he used to love.

Amir0x

Banned
I am laughing so hard @ #unlockthefun

There is no way he doesn't see how hilarious that is in context to this. And I ain't even one of them "all F2P games are evil" folk

quickwhips

The best thing today is that people bitch that gearbox game isn't free to play and that cliffy's game is free to play.

Hopefully they release DLC maps a month down the line that knock everyone off the dedicated servers and onto laggy p2p, forcing everyone who wants a good connection to buy the new maps!

/gears3rant

Judgement was even worse about this. I don't know why it doesn't get more attention, it's reprehensible.

My favorite online series of last gen was ruined by bad monetization. Now it's lead developer is teaming up with likely the worst F2P publisher in the business in a game where monetization plays a key role in design. Ugh.

sounds horrible as we know Cliffyb's stance on certain things. I wonder if there will be a pay tier where he allows you to stream the game without him taking your ad revenue

Is this a real thing? I saw on his twitter him saying somebody could stream the game or play it on Youtube or something, if they made PewDiePie money. I didn't think nothing of it. Someone responded that the guy had like 6 million subscribers or something.

Is that really his stance? He wants a cut from ad revenue on his games?

Judgement was even worse about this. I don't know why it doesn't get more attention, it's reprehensible.

My favorite online series of last gen was ruined by bad monetization. Now it's lead developer is teaming up with likely the worst F2P publisher in the business in a game where monetization plays a key role in design. Ugh.

Cliff was not the lead on judgement.

"What is Reborn?"

Arena Shooter in development from 2GD, a former Pro Quake player and (extremely good) Quake commentator, now currently DOTA commentator.

I wonder if this game will have bots. If not, I'm definitely not interested. F2P shooters don't generally have bot suppot, Blacklight Retribution is the only one that comes to mind.

mkenyon

Banned
CLIFFY B THANK YOU. I AM EXCITED.
Between this, UT and Reborn we have to get at least 1 good arena shooter, right?
One can only hope.

If I could queue for a CA game and get in a solid 20-50 minute match with my pals, I would die a happy gamer.

mkenyon

Banned
holy crap... it's actually real.
didn't realize they put up a development site.. the last two years I've been spending time on ESR scouring for new information and I just figured 2GD put the project on hiatus.

I'm actually way more excited for reborn than I am for Cliff's "concept".
The reason why I am not is because it's all about that critical mass for solid matchmaking and a healthy playerbase. Once it has that, there's so many inherently wonderful things about an ELO based matchmaking system, especially for bringing new players in.

TakeShad

Banned
@therealcliffyb: Friends, @BossKey will be working with Nexon to publish a Free2Play Sci-Fi PC arena shooter code named #BlueStreak. #BossKey #UnlockTheFun
5LGE1.gif

Adnor

Banned
holy crap... it's actually real.
didn't realize they put up a development site.. the last two years I've been spending time on ESR scouring for new information and I just figured 2GD put the project on hiatus.

I'm actually way more excited for reborn than I am for Cliff's "concept".

2GD said he will try to make development streams every two weeks after TI4 ends.

Interesting,didn't hear of it for some reason. No images yet i see.

You can download the (very early) alpha build on their site. They are working on the physics and movement first, the game doesn't even have textures yet.

CamHostage

Not sure if I would call Fortnite a shooter? I guess it is, it does have guns and moves with the speed and mechanics of an arena TPS, but the gunplay seems to be very close-range or spreadshot-oriented (I'm sure there's a sniper rifle in there that I missed, but the point is defending a base and most of the combat takes place in the spaces that you are defending,) they're more extensions of the melee weaponry in my opinion, based on the trailer.

But sure, lots of guns in our future...

gunstarhero

There's this all time great game called Unreal Tournament. Don't know if you or others in this thread have heard of it. The Cliffy guy being mentioned in this thread was a key part of making UT what it was. I don't see how it can be unfortunate that Cliffy is making another deathmatch FPS.

Because I was hoping for something a little different? Really - you couldn't make that assumption that some of us were disappointed about his announcement being a another FPS shooter?

Nah - you did. You're just kidding. Right?

Top Bottom