• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Clone games... which will be next gen?

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Remember that time when GTA III was launched and then we got True Crime, The Godfather, Mafia...?

Actually this happens since ever. And I guess that every generation has this. Let's check:
- We have Mario and then came others, mostly notable Sonic
- Doom came and then we got Marathon, Duke Nukem, Heretic...
- Resident Evil came and a lot of games went dark and scary - even fucking Square with Parasite Eve
- Mario 64 came and wrote the book of the collectathon, with Gex, Glover, Crash...
- Gears of War came and every third person adapted to the cover base - I know that we have Winback and Headhunter before, but you know...
- Call of Duty changed his direction to something close to arcade(?) and basically every first person shooter used this rule

For the next gen I believe we will see the refine of the open world games, mostly based on Breath of the Wild. The game has the main thing to do all over the place instead one or two main things in a big map. Also, gameplay before cinematics, techniques that can be applied everywhere and side quests that doesn't threat you like a moron

And one request for the developers: STOP THE OBLIGATORY WALKING SEGMENTS

tommycronin

Games that make you feel bad for ehp you are and try and teach you strategic life lessons.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

SadMeagerDwarfmongoose-size_restricted.gif

"Gameplay before cinematics" is just proper game design so I hope we see less and less ubisoft-like game design this decade, even if they do make fun games that I enjoy I prefer "hand-crafted" overall rather than "hand-slappeded(-together)".

TheGrat1

How can Crash be a clone of Mario 64 when their design philosophies were completely different (wide open levels vs narrow ones with perspective switching) and they launched within months of each other? They are both 5th generation 3D platformers. The similarities pretty much end there.

Faithless83

Banned
Remember that time when GTA III was launched and then we got True Crime, The Godfather, Mafia...?

Actually this happens since ever. And I guess that every generation has this. Let's check:
- We have Mario and then came others, mostly notable Sonic
- Doom came and then we got Marathon, Duke Nukem, Heretic...
- Resident Evil came and a lot of games went dark and scary - even fucking Square with Parasite Eve
- Mario 64 came and wrote the book of the collectathon, with Gex, Glover, Crash...
- Gears of War came and every third person adapted to the cover base - I know that we have Winback and Headhunter before, but you know...
- Call of Duty changed his direction to something close to arcade(?) and basically every first person shooter used this rule

For the next gen I believe we will see the refine of the open world games, mostly based on Breath of the Wild. The game has the main thing to do all over the place instead one or two main things in a big map. Also, gameplay before cinematics, techniques that can be applied everywhere and side quests that doesn't threat you like a moron

And one request for the developers: STOP THE OBLIGATORY WALKING SEGMENTS
I believe OP should check the definition of clone, based on the examples.
That said, games are quite expensive to produce and people mostly avoid "way too different experiences".
Yet they complain on the "samey games", and the cycle repeats itself. This is happening since the 80's and it won't change.
Companies see this and go for the safe approach on design, the ones that dare, sometimes find success.
A lot of hardcore Zelda fans felt BotW missed a lot of marks in the dungeon department, for example.

For the "STOP THE OBLIGATORY WALKING SEGMENTS" part, this is mostly due to hardware constraints. It's either this or a loading screen. Hopefully SSDs will make this go away.

Last edited:

JonnyMP3

Thought Battle Royales were now the in thing that people are trying to copy? Unless their popularity wanes, that's still what other games are going to try and be.

Codes 208

Those are such bad examples. A clone would be like the Gena sisters to mario bros or saints row to gta. Or blockcraft to minecraft.

sonic and Crash have no relation to mario outside of Theyre also platformers (sonic 1-3 is a speed-centric platformer focusing more on obstacles and maze like level designs while mario bros was more of a linear left to right platformer with an emphasis on power ups. And crash is a linear 3d platformer whereas sm64 is a collectathon)

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
That said, games are quite expensive to produce and people mostly avoid "way too different experiences".
I never mean to say the "clones" are bad things. I played every single Resident Evil clone ever back in the day, and I still play from time to time, so...
Thought Battle Royales were now the in thing that people are trying to copy? Unless their popularity wanes, that's still what other games are going to try and be.
I kinda forgot those, but I guess that this is a thing that "already happened". PUBG was not the first but made the landmark, then we got Fortnite, Free Fire...

JonnyMP3

I never mean to say the "clones" are bad things. I played every single Resident Evil clone ever back in the day, and I still play from time to time, so...

I kinda forgot those, but I guess that this is a thing that "already happened". PUBG was not the first but made the landmark, then we got Fortnite, Free Fire...
Probably gonna be the gen where VR takes off big IMO.

Top Bottom