• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNN: Joe Lieberman is front-runner for FBI director [Edit: Nope.]

NYR

Thoughts? Seems like an agreeable, quasi-partisan choice?

(Auto-play video clip warning:)
http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/18/politics/joe-lieberman-fbi-front-runner/index.html?adkey=bn

Former Sen. Joe Lieberman is the leading contender to be named FBI director, a senior administration official and two other sources told CNN on Thursday.

One of the sources said President Donald Trump found the Democrat-turned-independent "agreeable" after meeting with him. The source had the impression it is "highly likely" the President was close to making it official.

Trump told television anchors at a lunch Thursday that he was close to making his decision.

"I'm very close to choosing an FBI director," the President said, though he did not specify whether his choice was Lieberman.

Lieberman emerging as the front-runner was first reported by Politico.

The former Connecticut senator was Al Gore's vice presidential nominee in 2000.

But Lieberman, 75, is not necessarily popular with Democrats. He lost to a Senate primary challenger in 2006 and only retained his seat after he switched his party to independent. He also backed Republican Sen. John McCain's presidential bid in 2008 over that of former President Barack Obama, speaking at the Republican National Convention that year.

Since leaving the Senate, Lieberman has been a senior counsel at the New York law firm Kasowitz, Benson, Torres & Friedman LLP and serves on a number of boards.

Grym

appoint a 75 year old to a position with a 10 year term? Yeah, makes sense :/

EDIT - I mean...

Fuck Lieberman

NYR

Woah, this thread back-fired lol. I totally did not realize the hate for him, interesting.

RDreamer

As Matt Yglesias put it on twitter:

On the one hand, Lieberman is unqualified.

On the other hand, Lieberman works at Trump's law firm.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

How about someone with Law Enforcement experience?

Why do that when we can get someone with a conflict of interest?

Woah, this thread back-fired lol. I totally did not realize the hate for him, interesting.

It's because of him the U.S. doesn't have free for all healthcare. He had to go & throw a hissy-fit over it.

Also the night-trap incident means that gamers will hold a grunge against forever.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
This must have something to do with them re-releasing Night Trap.

Wallach

Yeah, hard pass on any politician being FBI director, especially this bozo. Which makes perfect sense why captain cholera has him as the frontrunner.

Ridley327

Considering this is a gaming forum primarily, the hate for Lieberman is practically built into the framework of the board. Not that he's done right by anyone at all, but gamers have always had a bone to pick with him.

Nictel

From Democrat to Independent supporter of the Republican candidate? If the Dems harbour any grudge they'll block this with a wall of their own.

Politicians for this kind of a job seems a poor choice though.

On another note: Is there a reason for the Dems to not try and keep the status quo?

Top Bottom