• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNN: Joe Lieberman is front-runner for FBI director [Edit: Nope.]

Nice response, I'm sure the VP never has an impact on someone's vote, good point, completely reasonable to assume no one ever has ever voted in one way or another because of the VP on the ticket.

And I'll stay, thanks.

If you really think the VP has any real impact on the vast majority of voters, I have a bridge to sell you lol.

Lieberman is the choice because he's the most likely to pass with Democratic votes. He's a shit stain, but he's a former conservative dem turned indy and the Dems said they would be more agreeable to Comey's replacement if a special prosecutor was selected. Well ... one was selected.

This is a perfect choice for Trump to give him cover from disagreements on it/mitigate arguments about it.

He's a (former?) Democrat/DINO with no agency experience who would likely love to get back into the spotlight and would likely benefit financially from taking cover for the President and pumping the brakes on any investigation of him. He's got just enough Democratic scruples to give conservatives the ability to say this isn't a political choice ("why are you against it? it's totally bipartisan!!!) and just enough history of not being motivated by party politics to be cool with slowing things down.

I don't think they even need a vote on Lieberman, right? If Trump wants him, he'll get the appointment, correct?

This man is terrible he is trump's perfect pick to lead the fbi because he believes in jailing journalists, hates iran and is stupid enough to have said this in 2015 about the iraq invasion
”I think the world is a lot better off, not withstanding all the problems in Iraq," former Sen. Joe Lieberman told MSNBC on Monday in an interview. ”I think the world is better off and the region is better off and the people of Iraq are better off."
Along with being a white male with ties to trump.

Kyrios

Every time you think this asshole is gone, poof, there he is. Of course it would be Trump to bring that quack back.

sangreal

This is a perfect choice for Trump to give him cover from disagreements on it/mitigate arguments about it.

He's a (former?) Democrat/DINO with no agency experience who would likely love to get back into the spotlight and would likely benefit financially from taking cover for the President and pumping the brakes on any investigation of him. He's got just enough Democratic scruples to give conservatives the ability to say this isn't a political choice ("why are you against it? it's totally bipartisan!!!) and just enough history of not being motivated by party politics to be cool with slowing things down.

I don't think they even need a vote on Lieberman, right? If Trump wants him, he'll get the appointment, correct?

No, there will be a confirmation process

Really hope no Democrats vote for this jackass. Let the GOP own him. Why are we even considering a career politician with no relevant experience

Nokterian

Bwhahaha jesus 75 years old..gimme a goddamn break, also as an outsider it looks he is an asshole just like the rest of those old farts are.

Jenov

I mean, I guess it's better than Rudy Giuliani or Trey Gowdy... but not by much. Plus wtf, guy is 75 years old, why would they nominate him for a 10 year tenure? Ideally it should be a non politician from within the justice department.

SSPssp

I agree with Senator Mccaskill, we should have a professional FBI director with a law enforcement background, not a political person no matter what side.

Ernest

Banned
WTF? He's never been in law-enforcement, and he's been on the wrong side of almost every issue. He lost Gore the election, as he was a terrible runningmate.

Unison

Older gamers will naturally hate him for beating the drum warning against videogames and their corrupting influence. He's basically the early 90s version of Jack Thompson.

This... Never forget.

Still, him being the single-vote blockade on the first form of Obamacare is a better reason to hate him.

Cyan

Banned
Woah, this thread back-fired lol. I totally did not realize the hate for him, interesting.

Well, he's not a complete idiot and he's not directly opposed to the mission of the organization, so that's already a huge step up from most of Trump's appointments. But he doesn't have any particular qualifications for the job either. As far as preexisting anger and/or hate, the fact that he was Gore's VP candidate in 2000 is going to be more than balanced by the fact that he supported a filibuster against the public option back when Obamacare was going through the Senate, which effectively killed it.

The real Diamond Joe! Why doesn't anyone here like him? He helped Al Gore win the presidential popular vote in 2000

In 2006, Joe Lieberman was defeated in the Democratic primary for the Connecticut Senate Seat that he had held by a more liberal candidate (Ned Lamont). Lieberman ran an independent campaign and defeated Lamont handily.

He had a major fall from grace from more progressive members of the Democratic party after that election, and was always considered a conservative Democrat. Despite being an independent, he caucused with Democrats like Bernie Sanders, and generally voted along Democratic party lines except for the first procedural vote for Obamacare (though he later voted for the law). But, surprisingly, in 2008 he endorsed John McCain. He endorsed Clinton in 2016.

Understandably people dislike him especially around NeoGaf especially because Lieberman and Hillary Clinton were the faces of anti-videogame legislation/activity throughout the 1990s and 2000s.

Lieberman has always been an opponent of Wikileaks. 10 years ago, he was criticized for it because Wikileaks was thought of as a defender of freedom while Bush was in office, so at the time this seemed like another way that Lieberman was too consservative. Lieberman consistently went after Wikileaks and corporations who helped direct donations to it (e.g., PayPal, Visa, etc) and has always been critical of Assange. At the time, though, few recognized that Wikileaks was a mouth piece for Russian propaganda and that their primary goal was just damaging the West, as they were acting under the auspices of trying to spread truth and what have you.

Deku Tree

Is this one of those things where Trump is parading around a "Democrat" to look "balanced" and then at the end of the day he is going to pick a total partisan "loyal" person?

Spladam

Hide your video games.

But muh violent videogames

Night Trap re-releasing, and Lieberman back in a lead government position.

It's 1992 all over again.

just in time for the Night Trap re-release, lmao
This is good stuff, it's what I always remember him for despite everything else. I can't believe he's still a thing though. He's old and irrelevant.

Top Bottom