• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Modern Warfare 2022 Campaign Thread

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Well, I refunded my “preorder”. I played through “Alone” and it just wasn’t pulling me in.

I don’t think it’s a bad story/campaign but I just felt underwhelmed the whole time. Graphically it was really hit or really miss for me (Series X).

This will be the first COD since COD2 I’m not playing at release. Feels weird, man.
You are only like 4 missions from the end

My first CoD campaign since CoD 2 on 360 release. expected linear and really casual (no thinking required). And yeah it is

.. but those production values and variation + good gunplay makes it fun still. I can see now why casuals eat this up
Yeah it was an ok campaign but for me no wow missions that will ever really stick out to me

Gunplay was on point and at times the game can be gorgeous

TheMan

Caved and preordered when I realized the regular version would get me early access. So far…it’s not bad. 3 missions in, it’s extremely typical for a COD campaign really, so if you’ve played any of the campaigns in the last decade you know exactly what this has in store.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Just beat Alone on Realism difficulty.

Heart Attack Close Call GIF by reactionseditor

Thats some Resident Evil shit.

Mossybrew

Mostly enjoying the campaign, stopped right at the beginning of the mission on the offshore oil rig. Though that one mission with the convoy was incredibly tedious, I didn't find that fun at all. And there's been probably a bit too much "oooh be careful and silent" stuff for my liking, I just want to shoot a bunch of mans in my shootman vidjagame. But at least there's been a nice variety of environments so far.

TheMan

Is this game making anyone else’s ps5 just shut down? I’ve had issues with that happening occasionally for nearly a year, but since downloading this game it’s happened twice in one day which is highly unusual…

//DEVIL//

Just finished the single-player. I have to say I kinda noticed the graphics took a dive downhill at the later levels. I did not see them as good-looking as in the first half of the game.

I also got bored and I kinda dragged myself to finish it just for the rewards in multiplayer later.

But honestly, it was an enjoyable experience. sometimes frustrating even on easy . been a while since I finished a single-player game.

Last edited:

Sub_Level

Is this game making anyone else’s ps5 just shut down? I’ve had issues with that happening occasionally for nearly a year, but since downloading this game it’s happened twice in one day which is highly unusual…

Naw some people have had the game crash or get softlocked because a sequence won’t play, but I haven’t seen anyone saying if shuts down the system. I think your PS5 is in danger mate.

I only found one too, however, it needed a code. I'm guessing the code is some where nearby right?

The safe I found was in the top floor restaurant (Alone level) and the code was on the calendar. There is another safe in the garage in the same level as well as the drug cartel penthouse.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Infinity Ward is really talented. They need to be unshackled from Call of Duty.

Played 5 or 6 missions so far. Call of Duty could be goddamn incredible if they fleshed out the story and the gameplay a bit more. Add some more elements to it. But for what it is, its quite refreshing and intense. I love the on-rails stuff.

Also. Game desperately needs a 30fps fidelity mode, smh. And I wish devs did more stuff with the haptics on PS5.

Last edited:

Hazukisan

Neo Member
I haven't played CoD since the previous...Modern warfare 2 in...hmmm ages.
Well, I'm not a multiplayer guy, I like single player games, and this campaign is awesome. Yeah, there's been too many Splinter Cells and not enough Battlefield so far for me.
But the staging is still breathtaking. Graphically...what a slap. it's splendid.

The part in Amsterdam is just incredible, for those who have never set foot in Amsterdam...I can confirm, it's the same in reality.
https://earneo.tube/video/113304

Here come my video in game from Amsterdam.

kyliethicc

just to point out how dumb this campaign is

the final mission soap says he lost his weapon

has to do janky stealth to find a box cutter to kill a baddie

cutscene then shows him with a ka bar combat knife on his vest the entire time

video game shit writing and shit design at its finest

Tj23Dur.jpg
VeWymJp.jpg

Last edited:

Mahnmut

What's really infuriating is how the enemies know immediately where you are and start shooting at you with 100% accuracy and super human reflexes. They also seem to have x-ray vision that allows them to see you trough walls. Because of that you never really feel like you're part of an elite squad. Whatever you do, you are going to take hits or even die a lot because the game decided so.

TheKratos

Tj23Dur.jpg
VeWymJp.jpg
The fact you notice this tiny inconsistency and conclude the campaign sucks bafflles me. Or perhaps you were extremely frustrated by crappy survival mission at end and decided to trash the whole campaign.

kyliethicc

The fact you notice this tiny inconsistency and conclude the campaign sucks bafflles me. Or perhaps you were extremely frustrated by crappy survival mission at end and decided to trash the whole campaign.
never said anything hyperbolic its just dumb shitty writing

and, its not a tiny inconsistency to have your climatic battle soley focused on the player character's lack of weapon (because he dropped his rifle, no sling conveniently, and no pistol somehow, and no knife, yet hes special forces and prepared for this mission lol) and then show said player character in the climatic cutscene with a knife that he specifically doesn't have. shit writing and game design

and I'm not even judging it compared to actual top written games. just compared to previous modern warfares, this one's bad

kikkis

Finished the campaign on veteran. First time on veteran playthroughs in like a decade. It was one of my favorite campaigns from cod, much better than 2019. Some people have complained about enemies aiming shooting you fast, but I think it's just realistic. You wouldn't go around corner lazily with your weapon on your hip, if you were an enemy. Most missions were stealth focused so it wasn't that big of a deal.

thatJohann

Finished it and looking back, I kinda hated this campaign. It was more annoying than fun and hate the stealth and crafting components nonsense. My least enjoyed COD ever probably.

Umbasaborne

Banned
I used to be one of those CoD hater taters, but recently I got better internet and have really gotten into online shooters, so I'm gonna splurge a bit and buy the Vault Edition. Woohoo.
Yep, cod has always been one of the best games of the year. Only reason people shit on it is because its more popular and “western” then whatever magical girl jrpg they are playing. Im mostly being facetious, but seriously the cod games have always been excellent, and a you know, people think it gives them gamer cred to hate things like minecraft, call of duty, fortnite, and ea.

Matt_Fox

Tj23Dur.jpg
VeWymJp.jpg

Next you'll be suggesting that video game characters should be able to just hop over knee high barricades!

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Finished it and looking back, I kinda hated this campaign. It was more annoying than fun and hate the stealth and crafting components nonsense. My least enjoyed COD ever probably.
Was too much stealth and for me no mission stood out in a good way, fairly forgettable

In my opinion what will stand out most was the No Russian lead in

GenericUser

Was too much stealth and for me no mission stood out in a good way, fairly forgettable

In my opinion what will stand out most was the No Russian lead in
I remember the driving mission (which was sick), the crafting mission and the sniper mission. All in all a good appetizer for the real game. Someone said they are going to make a crafting warzone mode. That'd be sick af. I loved the TloU 1 Multiplayer, maybe this will scratch the same itch.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I remember the driving mission (which was sick), the crafting mission and the sniper mission. All in all a good appetizer for the real game. Someone said they are going to make a crafting warzome mode. That'd be sick af. I loved the TloU 1 Multiplayer, maybe this will scratch the same itch.
Yeah I think that crafting mission was a prelude to DMZ which I think could have massive potential

They need to give me legit reasons to play DMZ like possibly rare camos only found in DMZ or something along those lines

kyliethicc

Next you'll be suggesting that video game characters should be able to just hop over knee high barricades!
Nah you're describing a different thing. Its not about realism. Internal inconsistencies are the issue. If in most of the game they can hop, but then can't for the last gameplay bit, and then can again, sure thats an issue. But suspension of disbelief of external things (like regenerating health) are not the issue. Not about "realism."

Its the fact that Soap uses his knife frequently in the gameplay melee attacks. There are unique dedicated melee finishers with his knife. The writers knew they needed to show Soap dropping his rifle to try to portray him as unarmed. But they apparently forgot or didn't care to bother actually disarming him. Either don't build the entire end game fight around the premise of the character being without any weapon - or - remember to remove the character's weapons from his body. (Ironically the entire climatic end battle of MW2 (2009) was built around Soap's knife.)

Everytime you break internal logic established within a story, you are effectively shaking a person who's asleep dreaming. The player is in the story mentally, but if you shake em too much they'll wake up and the dream is over. The illusion falls apart. Soap's knife magically appearing on him in the end was far from the first moment. It was just the funniest and most glaring example after many that had me so out of the moment that I was aware enough while playing to stop and capture the screens. Plenty of other stupid shit came and went shaking me from the experience a lil bit each time. Eventually it just piles up.

On a larger longer term scale this is what happened with game of thrones btw. Plenty of moments of dumb writing even in season 1, but audiences kept trying to enjoy the story anyways. But by season 8 it had become so frequent and had amounted to an unavoidable level of nonsense. So the last season was universally criticized as shit writing. rightfully so of course but it was far from the first season to suffer from lazy, dumb writing. It was just the straw that broke the camel's back.

Matt_Fox

Nah you're describing a different thing. Its not about realism. Internal inconsistencies are the issue. If in most of the game they can hop, but then can't for the last gameplay bit, and then can again, sure thats an issue. But suspension of disbelief of external things (like regenerating health) are not the issue. Not about "realism."

Its the fact that Soap uses his knife frequently in the gameplay melee attacks. There are unique dedicated melee finishers with his knife. The writers knew they needed to show Soap dropping his rifle to try to portray him as unarmed. But they apparently forgot or didn't care to bother actually disarming him. Either don't build the entire end game fight around the premise of the character being without any weapon - or - remember to remove the character's weapons from his body. (Ironically the entire climatic end battle of MW2 (2009) was built around Soap's knife.)

Everytime you break internal logic established within a story, you are effectively shaking a person who's asleep dreaming. The player is in the story mentally, but if you shake em too much they'll wake up and the dream is over. The illusion falls apart. Soap's knife magically appearing on him in the end was far from the first moment. It was just the funniest and most glaring example after many that had me so out of the moment that I was aware enough while playing to stop and capture the screens. Plenty of other stupid shit came and went shaking me from the experience a lil bit each time. Eventually it just piles up.

On a larger longer term scale this is what happened with game of thrones btw. Plenty of moments of dumb writing even in season 1, but audiences kept trying to enjoy the story anyways. But by season 8 it had become so frequent and had amounted to an unavoidable level of nonsense. So the last season was universally criticized as shit writing. rightfully so of course but it was far from the first season to suffer from lazy, dumb writing. It was just the straw that broke the camel's back.

Nah, the character model having a knife on his jacket in a cutscene is at best something 99.9% of players wont notice and at worst a tiny continuity error, most movies have multiple examples.

kyliethicc

Nah, the character model having a knife on his jacket in a cutscene is at best something 99.9% of players wont notice and at worst a tiny continuity error, most movies have multiple examples.
lol

my fav part here is you thinking he's wearing a jacket

you're a genius

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
100%

You can go through almost every movie and find errors like this especially like if someone is drawing something on a board along those lines every time you look back at this character the drawing is different.

Does this just ruin a movie or game for some?

Maybe but if these things bother someone, they need to give up movies and video games

dano1

A Sheep
No problems here. You might want to take the covers off and check for excessive dust buildup

What's really infuriating is how the enemies know immediately where you are and start shooting at you with 100% accuracy and super human reflexes. They also seem to have x-ray vision that allows them to see you trough walls. Because of that you never really feel like you're part of an elite squad. Whatever you do, you are going to take hits or even die a lot because the game decided so.
Going through hallways in a house, planning to tactically clear the rooms...dudes pop out of doorways like jumpscares shooting you before theyre even visible.

Just one of many things im disliking. Wish all my friends wanted to play something else cause this feels like such a waste of $70

splattered

Data miners have found files referencing Zombies play WZ2 will launch Nov 16th

Wait! I thought it was already announced that this COD won't include any sort of zombies mode?? I was seriously bummed cause vanguard zombies is terrible. This is awesome news if it actually happens!

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Anyone know if Dualsense features work on the PC version?
i can test this for you if you have a momento

NOPE not working just plain boring rumble

Wait no IT WORKS.
Disable playstation controller support in steam tho.

Vanguard also works. Thanks for asking for this totally forgot dual sense works now ok pc

Last edited:

MikeM

i can test this for you if you have a momento

NOPE not working just plain boring rumble

Wait no IT WORKS.
Disable playstation controller support in steam tho.

Vanguard also works. Thanks for asking for this totally forgot dual sense works now ok pc
Awesome thanks for testing it. I bought an Xbox controller for PC as its seemless but want to use PS5’s controller where the feature set is supported

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Awesome thanks for testing it. I bought an Xbox controller for PC as its seemless but want to use PS5’s controller where the feature set is supported
Yeah way more fun to play games that support this instead of the xbox gamepad

Sub_Level

Wait! I thought it was already announced that this COD won't include any sort of zombies mode?? I was seriously bummed cause vanguard zombies is terrible. This is awesome news if it actually happens!

MW 2022 is our main CoD until Fall 2024. This game is probably gonna get everything and the kitchen sink! I would not be surprised if it has 50 maps by the time the next CoD comes out.

Last edited:
Top Bottom