• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Modern Warfare 2022 Campaign Thread

Btw guys remember this is likely getting campaign dlc (heavily rumored, not announced). Shepard will be dead or in prison by the time MW 2025 or whatever is out.

I just hope Alejandro and Valeria come back. At least for one mission like Farah.
I really liked both of them and hope they come back to.

Wow! Best COD campaign by far for me. So much variety. I can see myself going back and playing this again. Never felt this way about a COD game ever. This one is fresh throughout and feels more like a stealth FPS more than a mindless run and gun game. One of the best SP in a while for all genders. Really impressed.

Good on you. I'm looking forward to playing after what I've seen this far. Graphics look really good in some places too.

Reactions: Isa
just to point out how dumb this campaign is

the final mission soap says he lost his weapon

has to do janky stealth to find a box cutter to kill a baddie

cutscene then shows him with a ka bar combat knife on his vest the entire time

video game shit writing and shit design at its finest

Tj23Dur.jpg
VeWymJp.jpg

That's just the handle to scare off potential attackers.

😂😂😂

Neolombax

I havent finished the campaign, just reached the oil rig mission. I like what I've played so far, I'm enjoying it more than both CW and Vanguard campaigns. But in terms of scale, the original MW2 campaign was definitely more exciting. I feel like this was a conscious decision where they wanted to tone down the action, but some missions certainly feel like they have pacing issues. They're definitely trying new things with the campaign which I appreciate a lot. I like that some levels aren't corridors and have more open spaces. I think the convoy mission is an interesting concept but the execution is really iffy.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
The tension this reboot gives off is a quarter of what the original MW2 had. I feel like all the fear of backlash did it in. It’s not as impactful. This campaign has some very cool moments, but it feels so weird because it doesn’t feel like it gives you the same push as the original MW2. There’s some great set pieces, but they skip on making something feel like an actual threat. It feels like a war journey or another war story. You can feel them carve something great from the mold, but it’s like they forgot a lot of important pieces.

Last edited:

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
Idk where to ask but anyone in the UK want to trade promotion items codes need the one from papa johns

Aaron Olive

But they are not really dragging it out. I suspect that they will wrap the campaign up with MW3 2025.

Meaning that they will
kill Gaz like CoD 4, kill Ghost like MW2 and kill Soap like MW3.
While also giving us No Russian,
(I know this is the end credit scene obviously so I don't know if they'll be too scared to make it playable but if they do I'm sure it'll be cool.)
The Battle of Washington D.C. and New York as well as some awesome African Missions hopefully.

But overall this campaign is just kind of lack luster compared even to the MW 2019 campaign. Like there wasn't even any missions that felt like real world scenarios other than the Night Vision Raid in the beginning of the game. In MW 2019 they had the Siege of Benghazi and the Raid on Bin Laden. They should have either went more realistic like MW 2019 or over the top like the original MW2. But this in-between kind of gameplay is just boring in a lot of the missions throughout.
Yeah the Amsterdam mission was so short it felt like wasted potential and could’ve easily been a cutscene.Follow Laswell and walk across tourist bridge meet price etc… mission over like what???

Last edited:
Btw guys remember this is likely getting campaign dlc (heavily rumored, not announced). Shepard will be dead or in prison by the time MW 2025 or whatever is out.

I just hope Alejandro and Valeria come back. At least for one mission like Farah.
Highly unlikely. They never added story DLC before plus they use Warzone for continuation of the story for the last 3 entries. Even if its in tiny snippets through just cutscenes. They will go all out on Warzone 2 since there won't be a new COD in 2023.

Valt7786

Highly unlikely. They never added story DLC before plus they use Warzone for continuation of the story for the last 3 entries. Even if its in tiny snippets through just cutscenes. They will go all out on Warzone 2 since there won't be a new COD in 2023.
I dunno tbh, first time in a while we have a 2 year gap between CoDs, thats gonna hurt Activisions yearly profits. It would make sense to release a campaign DLC and that map pack with all the nostalgia maps, it'd make them a good chunk of cash.

GenericUser

I just read on reddit, that you can play the game early if you set your xbox location to new zealand. Apperantly this only works on xbox. I'll definitely give it a try. If this actually works, my grind starts thursday 1pm. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
I'm sure call of duty will remain on playstation, there is no reason to take it away in my opinion, you can offer it your your subscription base on your own platform.

& Hell, I'd put the mobile games on switch, like Minecraft.

They could make serious bank with call of duty between more platforms + mobile platforms & seriously boost their game pass/xcloud userbase too.

I would think they would treat cod like they do Minecraft.

Mephisto40

I'm sure call of duty will remain on playstation, there is no reason to take it away in my opinion, you can offer it your your subscription base on your own platform.

& Hell, I'd put the mobile games on switch, like Minecraft.

They could make serious bank with call of duty between more platforms + mobile platforms & seriously boost their game pass/xcloud userbase too.

I would think they would treat cod like they do Minecraft.
I'm not sure what makes anybody think they would just remove call of duty from PlayStation, it's their biggest install base isn't it?

Taking it off PlayStation would effectively cut the games profits in half, it doesnt make any sense for Activision or Microsoft to do that

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
I'm not sure what makes anybody think they would just remove call of duty from PlayStation, it's their biggest install base isn't it?

Taking it off PlayStation would effectively cut the games profits in half, it doesnt make any sense for Activision or Microsoft to do that
I just can't see them doing it either tbh.

No idea why the CMA seems to think they will.

It's madness.

I'm just happy that I'll hopefully get the games on game pass in the future, as it means I can play with friends without worrying about which have or haven't purchased the game.

Yeah the Amsterdam mission was so short it felt like wasted potential and could’ve easily been a cutscene.Follow Laswell and walk across tourist bridge meet price etc… mission over like what???
I don't mind shorter missions especially when they look cool but it's literally a pointless mission. None of the missions were really that great. That Amsterdam mission is also hilarious, if you play it again mess around with all of the outcomes you can create by aiming your gun at civilians, it made the mission so much more entertaining.

I dunno tbh, first time in a while we have a 2 year gap between CoDs, thats gonna hurt Activisions yearly profits. It would make sense to release a campaign DLC and that map pack with all the nostalgia maps, it'd make them a good chunk of cash.
Well you get 4 seasons of map packs per year anyway so that's a given.

In terms of execution it doesn't hold a candle against MW2 2009 & 2019. The quality in writing and dialogue has dropped significantly and there's alot of ideas here that just fell short. The story is literally catered to putting Ghost as the poster boy in a buddy cop adventure around the world. Some of the gameplay design choices feel like they ran out of time and said fuck it. Armored shotgunners and the AI system makes me question how it even pass game testers. There's a moment where you are literally fighting a tank on foot 1on1 in a trainning arena. Like how did we go from Clean House to this.

cormack12

Gold Member
Damn the bugs and jank in that mission where you're in the aerial cover vehicle.

First cod in a while and the aiming seems gimped as well. That Amsterdam mission where you have to take three guys down quick is brutal. But it's tougher than I remember (and I did mile high club and WaW veteran!)

Graphics are pretty good. I think this feels as fragmented as battlefields war stories though. It doesn't feel connected at all, though it obviously is.

Isa

I've enjoyed it so far, but the pacing between missions and over reliance on stealth and possible auto mission fails is a turn off. The variety helps though. To me this game really reminds me of gaming during the PS1 era. Especially with Medal of Honor and Syphon Filter, along with other games that had plenty of sequels. The similarity between those two series is how each mission is kind of segmented, and more spec-ops spy mission in feel and scope, much less like the CoDs of the past where overt war is the main theme and gameplay focus. The similarity gave me a nice nostalgia boost. Mainly anticipating the MP though.

ryantetric

Neo Member
Anyone having a problem playing the campaign after this massive fucking update?? I'm stuck at an installing screen 50% of the way through that won't move no matter what. Only thing I can think of doing is reinstalling the whole thing which is lame. PS5 here.

Anyone having a problem playing the campaign after this massive fucking update?? I'm stuck at an installing screen 50% of the way through that won't move no matter what. Only thing I can think of doing is reinstalling the whole thing which is lame. PS5 here.

I didn't know there was an update, but I'm downloading it now. It seems to be in three parts. The first piece is already 40 GB! I'll let you know in a bit if it stalls out.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Pretty embarrassing but for whatever reason I always thought this and MW 2019 were prequels to the original MW games lol. Like "the creation of 141" storyline.

Wasn't until I got to the end of this one it didn't really add up.... I was like "how the do the events in the original MW games ever occur if the characters know what they know now???"

Google search... yep full reboot.

Ghost and his mask were too popular, they had to retcon him back into permanent existence hahaha. Fuck yeah Im for it LETS GO!!!

decisions

In terms of execution it doesn't hold a candle against MW2 2009 & 2019. The quality in writing and dialogue has dropped significantly and there's alot of ideas here that just fell short. The story is literally catered to putting Ghost as the poster boy in a buddy cop adventure around the world. Some of the gameplay design choices feel like they ran out of time and said fuck it. Armored shotgunners and the AI system makes me question how it even pass game testers. There's a moment where you are literally fighting a tank on foot 1on1 in a trainning arena. Like how did we go from Clean House to this.

Totally disagree. The writing and characters are way better than any previous COD campaign. Ghost and Soap for instance are way more characterized than in the original series, and the voice acting is some of the best I have heard in any game despite some weird writing here and there. The new characters are amazing as well, it’s not like they only depend on classic characters. One of the new characters seems to me to easily be the best villain COD has ever had. There is like 6-7 parts of this game that are Clean House but better. They basically took Clean House’s gameplay style of quickly clearing rooms and plastered it all over the entire game, making that style of gameplay more frequent than even regular shootouts. The 1st half of the last mission is probably the best example of this, and is easily one of the game’s strongest sequences.

I’m about to finish my 2nd playthrough (realism) and this is probably close to my favorite COD campaign ever. I think it’s a thrilling SP experience in a time where I have a hard time finishing any SP games.

Jacir

I was having this same issue. Stuck at 50% installing the update. I redownloaded the whole game just a few minutes ago and I still had the same problem. I followed this workaround just now and it's fixed. Multiplayer is not even out and a bug/error like this comes up smh.

GenericUser

CALL OF DUTY®: MODERN WARFARE® II MULTIPLAYER OVERVIEW — EVERYTHING AVAILABLE AT LAUNCH

There are supposedly 11 6vs6 maps at launch, 1 additional 6vs6 map will come november 15th.

What concerns me the most at the moment is the lack of a traditional prestige system. I read that they are going for that shitty "seasonal prestige system" that effectivly resets your prestige rank after the season is over. I really don't like that. I want everyone to see that I literally have no life and I waste my time with CoD.

Last edited:

kikkis

CALL OF DUTY®: MODERN WARFARE® II MULTIPLAYER OVERVIEW — EVERYTHING AVAILABLE AT LAUNCH

[/URL]

There are supposedly 11 6vs6 maps at launch, 1 additional 6vs6 map will come november 15th.

What concerns me the most at the moment is the lack of a traditional prestige system. I read that they are going for that shitty "seasonal prestige system" that effectivly resets your prestige rank after the season is over. I really don't like that. I want everyone to see that I literally have no life and I waste my time with CoD.
Lack of cyber attack is my only gripe so far.

Markio128

I was hoping this would be a return to form, but it just seems like they’ve run out of ideas at this point. I got a modicum of enjoyment out of Cold War (the last COD I played), but even now I can barely remember it.

I just read on reddit, that you can play the game early if you set your xbox location to new zealand. Apperantly this only works on xbox. I'll definitely give it a try. If this actually works, my grind starts thursday 1pm. Fingers crossed.
Multiplayer is a worldwide launch regardless of platform. Not sure what time it is in your time zone but for UK it’s 4am BST which I think is 9pm PST. The Call of Duty website has more information.

As with most multiplayer launches, I’d expect there to be server issues too.

calistan

I'm mostly enjoying this, glitches and all. On the ghillie level all the grass and parts of the models glitched out, so I was lying on the bare dirt being stalked by disembodied boots and floating sunglasses.

The highway convoy level is truly terrible, though. Drving on an impossibly busy desert road, filled with exploding cars, while leaning out of your door every so often to shoot at truckloads of terrorists, which causes your vehicle to slow down and lose control. When your vehicle catches on fire, climb on top of it and try to jump to another one before it slows to a complete halt or explodes.

If you decide the most sensible thing to do is jump out of your truck before it blows up, nope - touching the road with your feet is instant death. I died 12 times in a row on that last night before turning it off.

Last edited:

Murdoch

Totally disagree. The writing and characters are way better than any previous COD campaign. Ghost and Soap for instance are way more characterized than in the original series, and the voice acting is some of the best I have heard in any game despite some weird writing here and there. The new characters are amazing as well, it’s not like they only depend on classic characters. One of the new characters seems to me to easily be the best villain COD has ever had. There is like 6-7 parts of this game that are Clean House but better. They basically took Clean House’s gameplay style of quickly clearing rooms and plastered it all over the entire game, making that style of gameplay more frequent than even regular shootouts. The 1st half of the last mission is probably the best example of this, and is easily one of the game’s strongest sequences.

I’m about to finish my 2nd playthrough (realism) and this is probably close to my favorite COD campaign ever. I think it’s a thrilling SP experience in a time where I have a hard time finishing any SP games.
Agreed.

GenericUser

Multiplayer is a worldwide launch regardless of platform. Not sure what time it is in your time zone but for UK it’s 4am BST which I think is 9pm PST. The Call of Duty website has more information.

As with most multiplayer launches, I’d expect there to be server issues too.
I could be wrong, but iirc this is only true for the PC version.
For consoles, the CoD website specifically states:
October 27 – Consoles – 4AM PT - 9PM PT Regional Rollout

Last edited:

Jacir

I hope they change the Team Deathmatch win score from 75 to 100 because in the beta most matches needed to be a little longer.

Matt_Fox

Pleased to see my fave field upgrade the 'Deployable Cover' is still there. Me and my slow old reflexes and mounted LMG can camp anywhere with this bad boy! :messenger_grinning:

g852Bfe.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom