• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Coke in glass bottles

Status
Not open for further replies.

SickBoy

I bought some hideously expensive "promotional" 2004 Olympic Coke while at the grocery store today, and am I crazy, or does Coke taste like 20 times better when it comes from a glass bottle? Or perhaps both?

Is Coke regularly available in glass bottles in one form or another? And possibly not at shockingly inflated prices?

-SB

Coke is always sold in bottles (6 pack usually, also sometimes 4 pack) at supermarkets I go to. But no, it's not at a nice price. You pay for the nostaliga. If you want it cheap in bottles go to Europe.

Santo

Definitely tastes better from the bottle. And yeah, that's pretty much what they serve - everywhere - in Europe.

Badabing

Time ta STEP IT UP
Yah they taste excellent out of the bottles. What is it though? Like, $5 for 6 bottles? What a rip.

I cannot drink coke from the can. It tastes goddamn horrible to me. However, I can take that same can, even if warm, and pour it into a cup, even if kinda dirty, and it's all good. But I can't stand ice in the cup.

I had coke in one of those translucent red plastic cups in a pizzaria tonight, and it was the best coke I ever had. I was on my third refill before my entree arrived.

I got 2 6-packs of Orange Crush bottles today for $5. Tasty all around.

Troidal

Oooh yeah I LOVE the glass bottled Coke! :D

It tastes better in glass bottles due to the different amount of gas pressure they add to fill the bottle in the factory. The ones in plastic bottles taste awful cuz the plastic linings start to melt and affect the contents, so I've heard. Yuk.

Personally the ones in cans are still tolerable compared to plastic bottles.

In Southeast Asia, its still mostly served in bottles. Cans are expensive. Quite the opposite.

SickBoy

I can probably get four two-litre bottles of Coke for $4CDN if I shop around. I paid the same for these six 237mL bottles. Today it was worth it :)

-SB

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Well I'm in Texas, so some of the corner stores here have the glass bottle cokes from Mexico. They only cost like $1.12 and are pretty big, but I've never purchased them before...too scared. I'll buy one in the morning.

I rarely buy coke anymore. I usually get this cheap grocery store bran, its 78 cents for 3 liters. Can't really lose on that, their root beer and ginger ale is awesome. But their version of coke is somewhat different, but still good.

MC Safety

Yeah, Coke in glass bottles is great. In San Francisco, they sell the big bottles (mostly imported from Mexico, oddly enough) for about what you'd pay for a liter of the plastic bottles, and the small green glass one for $4 for a six-pack.

fennec fox

ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets FERRETS!!!
It's not like canned Coke is bad per se, but it does taste better in other receptacles. The same is true for pretty much any soda, actually, because glass is inert and cannot affect the chemical composition of whatever it's storing, unlike aluminum. (This is why test tubes and beakers and all that science stuff is glass.)

Of course, Coke tastes better overseas anyway since it's sweetened in the US with high fructose corn syrup instead of actual sugar. You can blame the Reagan administration and their magnanimous corn subsidies for that...

miyuru

Back when I went to Sri Lanka in '98, you could buy Coke in the old-school glass bottle for ~10 cents/bottle.

+1 third world countries :)

Dagon

I just had this discussion with a friend of mine recently.

Coke in a glass bottle (especially the 200 ml bottles) tastes infinitely better than all the other variants, except...

Soda fountain Coke slaughters all other comers.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Dagon said:
Soda fountain Coke slaughters all other comers.

You don't mean post-mix coke where you mix the coke syrup with soda? That shit tastes nasty compared to icey cold coke fresh from a bottle.

I agree that the best coke is fountain coke, but It must be in the red cups and you must eat pizza with it for the full effect.

Phoenix

Bottle
Fountain
Plastic Bottle
Can

There it is in order of taste.

Anyone who wants some 'cheaper' coke in bottles might want to just visit Atlanta and get it direct from the bottling plant :D

SickBoy

Straight from the source, eh?

queen-t.jpg

-SB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom