• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Collection of Mana |OT| Three Adventures

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
9yu8Nqw.png

0tWMatn.png

Collection of Mana is a Nintendo Switch Exclusive that gathers three classic action RPGS. Final Fantasy Adventure from the Gameboy, Super Nintendo classic Secret of Mana, and the revered, but never before available in the West, SNES classic Trials of Mana (Seiken Densetsu 3).

Trailer:

Release Date:

6/11/2019 on Nintendo E-Shop; 8/27/2019 physical

Purchase ($39.99 MSRP):

Digital:

Nintendo E-Shop

Physical Preorders:

Amazon
Best Buy

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I suck at titles, so if someone has a better one let me know!

I bought this after the Direct Tuesday and figured we could use an OT as I'm sure at least a few others did as well.

I binged through Final Fantasy Adventure the past three days while watching Treehouse and basketball tonight. I'm a bit laid up recovering from surgery to repair a torn biceps tendon last week, so I've just been working a little from home (2-3 hours is the most I can do before getting tired and losing focus), so lot's of E3 and gaming for me.

FFA was a game I loved on Gameboy as a child, so replaying it was definitely nostalgic. It definitely hasn't aged well and has a lot of jank, a lot of obtuse hints (or non-hints like go destroy a crystal in a desert full of them) so I did the last 3rd or so mostly with a walkthrough. I'd definitely recommend that to anyone that plays as many things are just non-intuitive.

I also suggest keeping a map handy on your phone/tablet as the in-game one is useless and it can be hard to remember where something is when you're told to go back there. Here's the one I used (spoilered to not have a big image wasting page space for people not playing FFA).

ffadventmap_world.png

Another big tip is to save often as there is jank where you'll get stuck in place and can't move here and there or mess up freezing an enemy to push on a switch and can't get them to respawn etc. Overall I enjoyed it and I'm glad I played it first, though also glad to be done with it.

I look forward to playing Secret of Mana as I barely touched that over the years. Think we rented it once growing up and I messed around with it in emulators a few times, but never more than an hour or so. I'll give it a break before starting though as I want to get back to Pokemon Let's Go, and playing that one handed is easier on my recovering arm. I've of course never played Trials of Mana so I'm looking forward to that as well down the road. The remake looks great as well.

Andyliini

I decided to wait for the physical release, might be a collector's item one day. A question for my European fans: Did they went completely autentical way and called Final Fantasy Adventure as Mystic Quest in PAL release?

RPGCrazied

I like those games but don't like the price basically paying $40 for them. I'll get the remake of trials though.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

A question for my European fans: Did they went completely autentical way and called Final Fantasy Adventure as Mystic Quest in PAL release?

Nop, it's Final Fantasy Adventure in EU. You sure you're not mixing up with the SNES Mystic Quest Legends we Euros got?

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I like those games but don't like the price basically paying $40 for them. I'll get the remake of trials though.

I didn’t have a problem with it really as it’s a decent amount of hours of gameplay if you want to play all three. But I get that it’s a bit high compared to say what they would have been on the Wii or Wii U virtual consoles as it would have been around $20 for the three.

Not to mention for people who don’t have qualms about pirating ROMs for emulators. I’m not being snarky there as I have a ton of ROMs. I just don’t mind paying a premium to play in portable mode as I don’t tend to finish retro games otherwise as I think they look like ass blown up on big HDTVs.

I dunno about elsewhere, but it's available physical (pre-order) on the Squeenix store:

Most big stores in the US have it up. Links to Amazon and Best Buy in the OP.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I didn’t have a problem with it really as it’s a decent amount of hours of gameplay if you want to play all three. But I get that it’s a bit high compared to say what they would have been on the Wii or Wii U virtual consoles as it would have been around $20 for the three.

Not to mention for people who don’t have qualms about pirating ROMs for emulators. I’m not being snarky there as I have a ton of ROMs. I just don’t mind paying a premium to play in portable mode as I don’t tend to finish retro games otherwise as I think they look like ass blown up on big HDTVs.

Most big stores in the US have it up. Links to Amazon and Best Buy in the OP.
Thanks! I wasn't paying close enough attention.

Thrilled this is coming Westward! I was eyeballing the Japanese physical version but it's kinda hard to justify a JRPG in a language I cannot read.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Kinda wanna get this just for the Trials of Mana (Seiken Densetsu 3) game in English, I've played the other two games to death though I love them to pieces.

But they're also getting ready to release Trials of Mana as a full remake, so I'm worried I would burn myself out on the game before the new installment arrives.

I wish they would have just released this years ago, like when it came out in Japan as a Switch launch title.

MagnesG

Banned
I'm excited, I hope the series can lift themselves up from niche status, bit by bit. Truly deserved it imo.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Kinda wanna get this just for the Trials of Mana (Seiken Densetsu 3) game in English, I've played the other two games to death though I love them to pieces.

But they're also getting ready to release Trials of Mana as a full remake, so I'm worried I would burn myself out on the game before the new installment arrives.

I wish they would have just released this years ago, like when it came out in Japan as a Switch launch title.

Yeah I’d probably wait on the remake if you just want Trials as it looks amazing. I hadn’t played FFA since launch and never played much Secret of Mana so it was an easy sale for me.

That said, there’s always the option to play the remake with a different party makeup than you use in this one if you want to experience both and have them a little different.

Waiting for the physical release, and it's killing me. I've wanted to play SD3 for two decades (unlike apparently everybody else, I didn't play the fan translated ROM - largely because when I cared about the emulator scene, SNES emulators had serious issues and lacked features like mode 7. It would've been a suboptimal experience, to say the least). It was kind of forgotten about over time, but now that it is back, I can't think of anything else. It is taking everything in my power not to get the digital version too, just to not have to wait two months.

I'm also a HUGE fan of FFA. For the longest time, I felt like I was one of the only people who remembered the game, much less remembered it fondly. Seeing it on the collection and watching people playing it for the first time and discovering what a charming experience it is has been awesome.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Waiting for the physical release, and it's killing me. I've wanted to play SD3 for two decades (unlike apparently everybody else, I didn't play the fan translated ROM - largely because when I cared about the emulator scene, SNES emulators had serious issues and lacked features like mode 7. It would've been a suboptimal experience, to say the least). It was kind of forgotten about over time, but now that it is back, I can't think of anything else. It is taking everything in my power not to get the digital version too, just to not have to wait two months.

I'm also a HUGE fan of FFA. For the longest time, I felt like I was one of the only people who remembered the game, much less remembered it fondly. Seeing it on the collection and watching people playing it for the first time and discovering what a charming experience it is has been awesome.
I'm kind of in the same boat: I have a copy of SD3 for SFAM but I cannot understand a word of it. I can fumble through the early areas and it's a lot of fun, but I've been patiently hoping for the Collection to come West.

Definitely happy to pay for this and support companies who bring these games forward for new generations to play.

I'm kind of in the same boat: I have a copy of SD3 for SFAM but I cannot understand a word of it. I can fumble through the early areas and it's a lot of fun, but I've been patiently hoping for the Collection to come West.
I actually have the SFC cart as well. I picked it up in Japan for 1600 yen used, but didn't play it there because I didn't have a SFC. When I came back from Japan, I had two hundred games with me, and I kinda completely forgot that I even had the game! My entire experience with SD3 (I guess it is ToM now) has just been weird timing issues - even now. Two months...

Andyliini

Nop, it's Final Fantasy Adventure in EU. You sure you're not mixing up with the SNES Mystic Quest Legends we Euros got?

No, Yhey changed the GB game's name as well in Europe, as Final Fantasy hasn't been released in Europe by then. Final Fantasy Adventure was changed into Mystic Quest and Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest was changed to Mystic Quest Legend. Completely logical...

But anyway, I was almost sure they wouldn't use the European name even in the PAL version. Would have been cool if they did, but doesn't change anything.

Seiken Densetsu 3 being localized and getting a full remake it's a dream beyond the universe.

I won't buy this collection cause I played every single combination of chars back in the day with a fan translation, but don't sleep over it guys. The level of depth of this game is unmatched.

Also the gameplay for the remake made me cry, literally.

I won't buy this collection cause I played every single combination of chars back in the day with a fan translation, but don't sleep over it guys. The level of depth of this game is unmatched.
Do you not feel a teensy bit of obligation to pay for the hundreds of hours of enjoyment you got out of the game?

Do you not feel a teensy bit of obligation to pay for the hundreds of hours of enjoyment you got out of the game?
Yes. But not 40 dollars. I had the original Secret of Mana cartridge back in the day, and it was their fault not localizing SD3 before. I will shout out my deepest thank you to SE for 20 dollars.

Last edited:
Yes. But not 40 dollars. I had the original Secret of Mana cartridge back in the day, and it was their fault not localizing SD3 before. I will shout out my deepest thank you to SE for 20 dollars.
You have to understand that if they had released SD3 back then, you would've paid a fuckload more than $40 for it, right? They aren't the ones exploiting anyone here. You are. You got what you wanted and are trying to weasel out of paying for it. But you do you. Whatever lets you sleep at night. I just think it is the lowest of the low to try to blame them when you are the one walking away with hundreds of hours of enjoyment without giving them a single cent.

At the very least, don't brag about having pirated a game and then being too cheap to pay for it. Have some shame. Real men don't boast about their failures as human beings.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Let’s no get all heated over how much people think it’s worth please. Everyone has their own budgets and ways of valuing things. I’d rather the OT mostly be posts of people chatting about the games as they play them.

OTs should be mostly positive hangouts for fans of the game IMO. The announcement thread would be better suited to discussing the price as that’s where it was revealed. Just my two cents. Carry on!

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I'm all about supporting old games Sqorin Hammerfarf Sqorin Hammerfarf , but it'll always be up to the fans to support these releases. Believe me, I have the same feeling toward so-called "shmup fans" who emulate everything and won't spend a penny on ports.

The ports are inferior!
Why would I buy that system when I have my PC / bootlegs?
Too much input lag compared to my setup. Not gonna bother.

Or like @mooshie78 said, let's just support the game in the way we choose.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Yeah I’d probably wait on the remake if you just want Trials as it looks amazing. I hadn’t played FFA since launch and never played much Secret of Mana so it was an easy sale for me.

That said, there’s always the option to play the remake with a different party makeup than you use in this one if you want to experience both and have them a little different.
Turns out it didn't take a whole lot to convince me lol

I went ahead and picked this up since I finished Cadence of Hyrule already. Backlog be damned.

Turns out it didn't take a whole lot to convince me lol

I went ahead and picked this up since I finished Cadence of Hyrule already. Backlog be damned.

jesus . already did cadence.. i havent played either crypt or cadence...how long is the game? is it good?

Last edited:

jshackles

jesus . already did cadence.. i havent played either crypt or cadence...how long is the game? is it good?
Cadence of Hyrule took me about 7 hours to complete, but I missed a few things and died a lot. Game was amazing though, especially if you're a Zelda fan and specifically a fan of A Link to the Past.

Collection of Mana downloading now, it's pretty small but I guess considering it's a couple of SNES ROMs that makes sense.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels

Trials of Mana remake looks to be a completely different game from the original. It’s not like SoM remake where it was trying to be the same game but with 3D graphics, so I wouldn’t worry about getting burnt out on it.

Also not sure how familiar you are with ToM, but you start the game by picking a 3 character party from 6 characters. Plus each character gets 2 class changes where you have have 2 choices each time (so 2 intermediate classes and 4 final classes per character). So it’s really designed to be played several times.

jshackles

Played an hour of Trials of Mana. I figured I'd start with the default party lineup of Duran, Angela, and Charlotte. Leveled up to level 4, got Angela in my group.

This game is awesome, I can already tell it's going to be spectacular. I really enjoy the level up mechanics (allocating skill points to make a proper build) as well as changing classes that seem specific to each character. I'll definitely have to dive into this a little farther.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Played an hour of Trials of Mana. I figured I'd start with the default party lineup of Duran, Angela, and Charlotte. Leveled up to level 4, got Angela in my group.

This game is awesome, I can already tell it's going to be spectacular. I really enjoy the level up mechanics (allocating skill points to make a proper build) as well as changing classes that seem specific to each character. I'll definitely have to dive into this a little farther.

Sweet, glad you're loving it. I look forward to playing it, but want to do Secret of Mana first after finishing FFA. I know they're unrelated but I generally like to play in release order as I find it harder to go back to older games after playing newer ones in a series as they end up feeling archaic a lot of the time.

I'll probably do the same as you and play default party in this version, and then do the other 3 in the remake next year.

jshackles

Three hours in to Trials of Mana, just got the Gnome magic unlocked. Loving this game so far. I recently tried playing Secret of Evermore to try and re-capture that Secret of Mana vibe, and it really fell short.

The only issue I have is that the game seems to toggle between SELECT and the L button to change between party members depending on the situation. It took me a good few minutes pressing buttons in the menu until I figured out how to change characters to equip them with their new weapons/armor. Speaking of, unlike Secret of Mana there is no shared inventory space (as best I can tell) for that stuff, so you either need to buy everything as one character, trade it, then equip it; or change a single character's loadout at the shop then switch characters to do it all over again. The process is pretty tedious - or am I just doing it wrong?

Vawn

Banned
Man, Secret of Mana plays way worse than I remember. There seems to be no rhyme or reason what attacks hit and miss, hits often register 2 full seconds after they were made, enemies off stun lock you in corners, the AI is constantly getting stuck in the environment (even while dead) which halts your movement and the screen panning makes it impossible to see ahead where you are going.

I loved this game for years, but going back to it now has been a huge let-down.

Shadoron

Three hours in to Trials of Mana, just got the Gnome magic unlocked. Loving this game so far. I recently tried playing Secret of Evermore to try and re-capture that Secret of Mana vibe, and it really fell short.

The only issue I have is that the game seems to toggle between SELECT and the L button to change between party members depending on the situation. It took me a good few minutes pressing buttons in the menu until I figured out how to change characters to equip them with their new weapons/armor. Speaking of, unlike Secret of Mana there is no shared inventory space (as best I can tell) for that stuff, so you either need to buy everything as one character, trade it, then equip it; or change a single character's loadout at the shop then switch characters to do it all over again. The process is pretty tedious - or am I just doing it wrong?

It's an odd system.

If you are buying weapons, for example, you can still select items that you "can't equip" with the character that you initiated the shop menu with, and an option to "handoff" will appear. That will let you see the stats for the member of your party that the weapon can be used with, and purchase and store it in their "inventory." You'll have to try it to see what I mean.

For selling stuff, you can use the L and R buttons to highlight your other party members and access their inventories, while in the "sell ring." Again, it'll make more sense when you try it out.

You still need to go into the menu and use select to switch between party members to equip everything. I don't know why they just didn't use L and R to switch in the buying menu, and in the equip menu... would have made the whole system much easier.

jshackles

Man, Secret of Mana plays way worse than I remember. There seems to be no rhyme or reason what attacks hit and miss, hits often register 2 full seconds after they were made, enemies off stun lock you in corners, the AI is constantly getting stuck in the environment (even while dead) which halts your movement and the screen panning makes it impossible to see ahead where you are going.

I loved this game for years, but going back to it now has been a huge let-down.

The game definitely has it's faults and they're a lot more glaring in the face of modern convenience and QoL improvements that the last 25 years has given action RPGs. The 3D remake carried over a few of these issues as well, maybe in an attempt to remain faithful to the subject matter? Honestly I kinda wish they would have fixed stuff like the things you mentioned in the modern release.

It's an odd system.

If you are buying weapons, for example, you can still select items that you "can't equip" with the character that you initiated the shop menu with, and an option to "handoff" will appear. That will let you see the stats for the member of your party that the weapon can be used with, and purchase and store it in their "inventory." You'll have to try it to see what I mean.

For selling stuff, you can use the L and R buttons to highlight your other party members and access their inventories, while in the "sell ring." Again, it'll make more sense when you try it out.

You still need to go into the menu and use select to switch between party members to equip everything. I don't know why they just didn't use L and R to switch in the buying menu, and in the equip menu... would have made the whole system much easier.

OK cool, thanks for the tips - I'll definitely try that out! Luckily I'm not super far into the game yet so still trying to get my bearings on what works and doesn't work and trying to navigate the systems and figure out when to use L and when to use SELECT when changing party members. Cheers!

I picked this up never having played any of the Mana series. I started with Final Fantasy Adventures and I am enjoying the hell out it. I really enjoy the GameBoy and this game is a gem I unfortunately missed growing up. I was really surprised how the different weapons affects the environment. FFA is getting me hyped to play the other two for the first time as well.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
No interest in the Collection of Mana but im all in for the Trials of Mana Remake in 2020. It looks superb.

The game definitely has it's faults and they're a lot more glaring in the face of modern convenience and QoL improvements that the last 25 years has given action RPGs. The 3D remake carried over a few of these issues as well, maybe in an attempt to remain faithful to the subject matter? Honestly I kinda wish they would have fixed stuff like the things you mentioned in the modern release.
The remake really only fixed the AI getting you stuck issue and some hit detection issues, with a few little QoL improvements. Shame since it was a good time to make it more in line with the first and 3rd game, also apparently the director of the original game was wanting them to add the cut content which the remake devs also didn't want to do since they wanted it 1:1. Glad the Trials remake isn't going in that direction.

Last edited:

spookyfish

Dude — I *cannot* get to the Dwarf village. I’m in Stonesplit Gap, but can’t find the entrance. How do I do it?

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Started playing Trials of Mana yesterday. Kinda surreal -- I'd always wanted to play it ever since I heard about it back in 1999. Now, I finally can. Only about an hour in, but it's getting good. Feels like classic Square, but it's a totally new game for me.

Would kill for an M2-ported Bahamut Lagoon release.

Last edited:
Been waiting for around 24 years for Trials of Mana, known tentatively as Secret of Mana 2 in gaming magazines. It was rumored to be released in the West for some time, but ultimately wasn't...

I have not played much yet (currently at Cascade Cavern), but it's a stunning game so far. The level of detail, day and night cycle, vastly improved animations, and great music with cues from it's predecessor are all hitting the right notes.

Vawn

Banned
Been waiting for around 24 years for Trials of Mana, known tentatively as Secret of Mana 2 in gaming magazines. It was rumored to be released in the West for some time, but ultimately wasn't...

I have not played much yet (currently at Cascade Cavern), but it's a stunning game so far. The level of detail, day and night cycle, vastly improved animations, and great music with cues from it's predecessor are all hitting the right notes.

Yeah we got Secret of Evermoreinstead. A game which Square seems to pretend never existed.

jshackles

Dude — I *cannot* get to the Dwarf village. I’m in Stonesplit Gap, but can’t find the entrance. How do I do it?
First you have to go back to the harbor town and talk with the guy in the house in the northeast-most corner of the map.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels

I remember drooling over the screenshots in EGM. Hard to believe we finally got this game!

I’m playing with Kevin, Hawkeye, and Angela.

Pro tip: Charlotte is the best healer by far (and I think the only one with multi-target heals) but Duran and Kevin can also learn healing spells if you take them down the light path. You’ll definitely want to have at least one person with healing magic in your party since otherwise you’ll burn through healing items very quickly.

cireza

Bought it because Trials of Mana deserved my money. I spent quite a lot of time playing the fantrad in the past, so I had to give money at one point. In a meaningful way.

This game is actually one of the very first command from M2 for the Switch. The display options are disappointing to say the least. I only tried Trials of Mana.

From what I can see, we get 4 choices, all choices keep a 4/3 ratio (which is not the native ratio of the SNES, which actually is 8/7).
1) With bars top and bottom
2) Without bars (full vertical resolution)
3) Same as 1) but blurry filter
4) Same as 2) but blurry filter

No scanlines, and choices that do not retain a correct pixel ratio. Which means that whatever the choices, depending on line and columns, original pixels are not the same size. Because of this, applying scanlines looks horrible because it creates uneven patterns, which is why they did not put the option.

This is an all time low for M2 as far as I am concerned. Sure it is still playable, but someone like me can't be satisfied which these choices. I am even wondering if the game is not actually 720p handheld and docked, which would make it even worse for dock mode by adding even more blur.

There were better options to offer. In handheld mode, a simple x3 of the native resolution would have done the job, while enabling scanlines.
In docked mode, I would have suggested a x4 vertical res and x5 horizontal res to make rectangle original pixels, which gets us close to the 4/3 ratio while enabling even scanlines.

Last edited:
C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
So is this the same kind of fucked up save game situation as in the SNES mini where you can easily end up losing your progress by not being careful not to mix ingame save, and the quick save function?

Cause I just lost ten hours of playtime., and I have no idea what happened outside of having my profile logged off for the first time sikce starting the game.

cireza

So is this the same kind of fucked up save game situation as in the SNES mini where you can easily end up losing your progress by not being careful not to mix ingame save, and the quick save function?

Cause I just lost ten hours of playtime., and I have no idea what happened outside of having my profile logged off for the first time sikce starting the game.
Never use quick save and that's it. Why use quick save ? You have the in-game save that works as designed, and you can put your console to sleep.

Vawn

Banned

I don't understand the issue. Just don't use both save features.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Bought it because Trials of Mana deserved my money. I spent quite a lot of time playing the fantrad in the past, so I had to give money at one point. In a meaningful way.

This game is actually one of the very first command from M2 for the Switch. The display options are disappointing to say the least. I only tried Trials of Mana.

From what I can see, we get 4 choices, all choices keep a 4/3 ratio (which is not the native ratio of the SNES, which actually is 8/7).
1) With bars top and bottom
2) Without bars (full vertical resolution)
3) Same as 1) but blurry filter
4) Same as 2) but blurry filter

No scanlines, and choices that do not retain a correct pixel ratio. Which means that whatever the choices, depending on line and columns, original pixels are not the same size. Because of this, applying scanlines looks horrible because it creates uneven patterns, which is why they did not put the option.

This is an all time low for M2 as far as I am concerned. Sure it is still playable, but someone like me can't be satisfied which these choices. I am even wondering if the game is not actually 720p handheld and docked, which would make it even worse for dock mode by adding even more blur.

There were better options to offer. In handheld mode, a simple x3 of the native resolution would have done the job, while enabling scanlines.
In docked mode, I would have suggested a x4 vertical res and x5 horizontal res to make rectangle original pixels, which gets us close to the 4/3 ratio while enabling even scanlines.

Yeah, but the game was intended for 4:3 displays, so couldn't you argue this is actually the proper presentation for it? Chrono Trigger is one of the examples people point to as evidence that these games weren't meant to be displayed at 8:7.... so I dunno. I'd think another Square game from 1995 would probably be the same deal.

Top Bottom