• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! July |OT| - Independents Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man, I did not like that WATXM issue. Suddenly Wolverine's all like "RESPECT THE COCK" and Rachael's, "Ok now you must REALLY STFU, now, please, STFU"

But hey, there's a Kitty Pryde-dating issue coming up, it can't be all bad

The fifth (and IMO best) HB LE is out in a few weeks. Darkness Calls and The Wild Hunt. Fegredo puttin on a clinic.

I read those for the first time last week. I didn't think anyone could top Mignola, but man... Fegredo's art is beyond amazing. I can't believe I didn't know about him.

Man, I did not like that WATXM issue. Suddenly Wolverine's all like "RESPECT THE COCK" and Rachael's, "Ok now you must REALLY STFU, now, please, STFU"

But hey, there's a Kitty Pryde-dating issue coming up, it can't be all bad

Holy shit yes.

From here on out I will ONLY accept WatXM critiques in the form of direct and perfectly deployed Magnolia quotes.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I recently started reading the new Star Trek comic based on the timeline of the recent movie....I love it.

KjGIv.jpg

I was afraid it would try to maintain the frenetic pace of the movie and do away with the conventions that I've grown to adore about the Star Trek universe, but I was sorely mistaken.

Set after the events of the movie, it follows the crew as they finally take the Enterprise beyond the edges of the galaxy, a mere 8-9 months after Kirk takes command.

It does a great job of taking the elements of the new movie, and pacing it like a traditional Star Trek episode. I also love the way they've been portraying Scotty, Bones, Spock and Kirk. All of them take elements from the movie as well as their original counterparts, and mix them together into characters that seem instantly familiar, but still inspire a feeling of nostalgia.

Also, the art is great. It's consistent, it's well colored, and they do a remarkable job of matching the likenesses of each of the actors that portrayed their roles in the recent movie.

Storylines seem to encompass 2-3 issues, making it very easy to pick up in the middle and read, much like watching a season of Star Trek from the middle.

It's only up to issue 7, so I really recommend that any Star Trek fan pick it up now before it gets too long to catch up with (even though you really could just start at the beginning of a given arc and read from there).

What happens though when Star Trek 2 comes out and takes huge dump all over that book's continuity?

I guess there are worse things. I might check it out.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
What happens though when Star Trek 2 comes out and takes huge dump all over that book's continuity?

I guess there are worse things. I might check it out.

The IDW Countdown book was a prequel to the first movie, and I think it did a good job of tying post-Dominion War TNG to the new timeline. Hopefully they actually care about its timeline and just make the next movie "another adventure".

I'd like to think it won't be completely invalidated. :\

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Kickstarter for Dear Mr Watterson, a documentary about the impact of Calvin & Hobbes.

Calvin & Hobbes dominated the comics in thousands of newspapers for a decade, but when the strip’s creator, Bill Watterson, retired the strip in 1995, readers everywhere felt the void left by the departure of Calvin & his tiger, and many fans would never find a satisfactory replacement.

Newspaper readership and book sales can be tracked and recorded, but the human impact Bill Watterson has had and the value and significance of his art are perhaps impossible to measure.

This film is not a quest to find Watterson, who prefers his privacy. It is an exploration to discover why his 'simple' comic strip made such an impact on so many readers in the 80s and 90s, and why it still means so much to us today.

Here's the interviews that were already done:
Lee Salem (Bill Watterson's editor)
Jenny Robb (OSU Billy Ireland Cartoon Library & Museum)
Bill Amend (FoxTrot)
Berkeley Breathed (Bloom County, Outland, Opus)
Jef Mallett (Frazz)
Stephan Pastis (Pearls Before Swine)
Jean Schulz (widow of Peanuts creator Charles Schulz)
Charles Solomon (Animation & Comics Historian/Critic)
Seth Green (co-creator, Robot Chicken)
Keith Knight (The Knight Life, The K Cronicles)
Jan Eliot (Stone Soup)
Wiley Miller (Non-Sequitur)
Dan Piraro (Bizarro)
Andrew Farago (Cartoon Art Museum)
Hilary Price (Rhymes With Orange)
Brian Anderson (Dog Eat Doug)
Tony Cochran (Agnes)
Norm Feuti (Gil, Retail)
Dave Kellett (Sheldon, Drive)
Nevin Martell (author, "Looking for Calvin & Hobbes")
Joe Wos (Toonseum)
John Glynn (Universal Uclick)

Owzers

Having seen 30 Days of Night before reading the comic, i feel robbed. First issue was free at comixology, gave it a read and thought it was really good. Art style was a bit iffy for me, but by the time i got to then end of the issue i thought it worked well. Check it out. Josh Hartnett ruins everything.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not sure if 2000AD count as independent, but what the hell; anyone got any recommendations for 'em? I've read scattered bits of Judge Dredd (America, one of the case files volumes) but that's about it.

I missed the remaining few he had on sale at Heroes Con. :(

So damned busy there (good problem to have at a con) I wasn't able to get to his table until Sunday.

Rafa - did Hypernaturals come out brah?

The FCBD preview was interesting stuff.

Yeah it came out, I haven't had a chance to pick it up since I can't get my comics in the a.m. anymore since I joined the workforce.

Brahs check out Grim Leaper that TTOB reccomended in the OP. Only two of four issues out so far, great story, vibrant art and a ideas you can relate to.

Also an independent comic I plan on checking out is Westward. http://www.kinetic-press.com/Westward/westward.html

Dram

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=39399

Tolmach: Avi, you're a pioneer in this comic book genre in that you were one of the first to fight to make them into movies. Now comic book movies are everywhere. Do you think there's going to be a saturation point? That Superhero Fatigue is a real possibility?

Arad: No. Here's the reason it will never stop: one, and I take sides on it -- DC Comics don't have the heart, because they never had Stan Lee. Stan Lee wrote about real characters with real issues, and his metaphors were just brilliant. Two, we all enjoy one thing very unique, that the new generation -- it's normal to have a new generation, of course -- kids that loved comics and fantasy, literature. And these kids became writers, producers, directors, cinematographers. They got into CGI. Technology moved up very fast, to facilitate movies like that. And all of a sudden it became -- a comic book or a video game are storyboards. They're actually incredibly detailed storyboards. So if I'm a director, and I want to be smart about it, the more visuals, the more material I have. The character is written, I can read the comic and see if I'm attracted to it, but together with it comes production materials. From costumes to haircuts to backgrounds to the city. The city is a character. So it will not end if dumb movies don't make their way into it. The only way to screw it up -- we almost all screwed up 3D...

Quote makes sense. Avi Arad would never compliment the Lizard people sect of the Illuminati coming from the Jewish NWO that is brainwashing are children through films and Dora The Explorer. They even forced Stan Lee to un-Hebrewify his name so he would be more welcoming to us.

I'm in the process of pitching this to Image right now. Foreword by Alex Jones.

Owzers

so...i'm all happy with my touchpad now that i got ICS running on it, only to find out that the Marvel Comics App is incompatible with it. :( :( :( Anyone know why this is?

Independents Day huh

Are we allowed to pimp our own super indie stuff without feeling like whores?

Sure.

Title is mostly for pun and to draw some attention to books folks may not be familiar with.

Yeah it came out, I haven't had a chance to pick it up since I can't get my comics in the a.m. anymore since I joined the workforce.

Brahs check out Grim Leaper that TTOB reccomended in the OP. Only two of four issues out so far, great story, vibrant art and a ideas you can relate to.

Also an independent comic I plan on checking out is Westward. http://www.kinetic-press.com/Westward/westward.html

Damn, I didn't see it at the shop. I'll hit the backup shop later in the week.

I may need to drop some titles. Saga isn't floating my boat.

Peter Panzerfaust has atrocious art and weak visual storytelling.

Transformers already got the axe. Couldn't stand the writing on either book, it was like a Matt Fraction team book with robots. Everybody is a snarky twat! Oh ho ho!

Granpa Bandit needs his olde timey Chris Claremont, Louise Simonson team funnies.

And in speak it and it becomes reality news.

I picked up a mini-comic about a barista at Heroes Con. SUCK IT JEDEYE! Fortunately my creative gold mine is still untapped, but clearly the barista funnies genre is on the verge of breaking out! :p

Owzers

"Peter Panzerfaust has atrocious art and weak visual storytelling."

A day after DCBS' deadline for adjusting your order by yourself....i guess i'll find out for myself the fun way, by spending money.

Also, i like the thread title.

TTOB if you are referring to Westward it doesn't come out until August.

Sorry, meant Hypernaturals.

Thanks for all the recommendations in the OP. There's definitely some stuff that piques my interest. My wallet cries so hard.
BTW why's the Mouse Guard pic look weird?

I'll have to fix that.

Watching How I Met Your Mother and damn if Lyndsey Fonseca wouldn't make a fantastic damn Starfire. Maybe not as busty, but she has a straight up George Perez Starfire face.

Maybe DC/Warner Brothers should try a Teen Titans movie before Justice League.

Well WB hasn't gotten back to me yet with my Jimmy Olsen "found footage style" Justice League movie so they may be going in the Teen Titans direction.

Maybe DC/Warner should try to make one good movie that isn't Nolan's Batman series?

It's pathetic, really. And I'm not sure another Zack Snyder joint will change the tide.

Jintor

What's not to get? Bruce was lost in time after being zapped by Darkseid. Then you got suckered into buying a shitty cashgrab filler miniseries that was unconnected to the actual story and muddied the waters. And then Batman Inc was amazing.

Have you read the Batman and Robin arc that ran parallel to the Return of Bruce Wayne? That fills in a few gaps and explains what Barbatos is.

Seems fairly simple to me? I will concede that the big Special for Batman Inc was really confusing, I'm still not entirely sure how the stuff with Otto Netz fits together, although I feel that is the point since it was all trippy and Prisoner-esque.

Remember, if it's Batman and has Grant Morrison's name on it, it's one big 5 year story. Jumping on in the middle is a bit like starting the Song of Fire and Ice Books at A Feast for Crows.

Well, I got that I guess. I got that basic kind of wiki-level summary of it. I just didn't understand anything that was really happening at the time I was reading it.

I kind of feel like Morrison does crazy Morrison stuff for the sake of doing crazy Morrison stuff, and it doesn't really seem to me to be in service of making the story any more interesting, or even comprehensible.

Well, I got that I guess. I got that basic kind of wiki-level summary of it. I just didn't understand anything that was really happening at the time I was reading it.

I kind of feel like Morrison does crazy Morrison stuff for the sake of doing crazy Morrison stuff, and it doesn't really seem to me to be in service of making the story any more interesting, or even comprehensible.

Did you read the previous Batman Arcs like RIP, Black Glove, and Batman and Son? Morrison did have a plan, but I understand that he starts to lose focus after Final Crisis. The Return of Bruce Wayne was made to act out Morrison's crazy ideas of a Batman throughout different time periods. IMO Morrison peaked at the last page of Batman RIP. I'm hoping Scott Snyder can bring on a story arc for Batman that can top it.

Jintor

That'd be it, I haven't read Black Glove & Batman & Son yet.

I really enjoyed Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader, but a) Gaiman and b) Not really all that plugged into continuity since it's about the mythos and all.

8bit

Knows the Score
I'm not sure if 2000AD count as independent, but what the hell; anyone got any recommendations for 'em? I've read scattered bits of Judge Dredd (America, one of the case files volumes) but that's about it.

Judge Dredd - The Day The Law Died/The Cursed Earth/Apocalypse War are the best early stories to familiarise yourself with the character.

Strontium Dog - Max Bubba/Rage

The first Volume of Rogue Trooper

Alan Moore's Halo Jones/DR & Quinch/Skizz/Time Twisters

Grant Morrison's Zenith (Good luck finding this)

And well, lots of other things. As it's been running for years there is a wealth of material for most tastes.

Anyway, which brings me on to League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Century. I thought it was pretty poor to be honest, the artwork is as always lovely in that scratchy kinetic Kevin O'Neill style but I really didn't enjoy the story in the slightest. Alsol, I felt the boy wizard depicted was a dig at Grant Morrison due to the bald head but I might be reading a bit too much into that.

Just did a re-read of Ends of the Earth with the Ends of the Earth one-shot, and Avenging Spider-Man #8 epilogue.

Dan Slott can really do no wrong. I wish he had time to do another book he's so damn good.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Sure.

Title is mostly for pun and to draw some attention to books folks may not be familiar with.

Damn, I didn't see it at the shop. I'll hit the backup shop later in the week.

I may need to drop some titles. Saga isn't floating my boat.

Peter Panzerfaust has atrocious art and weak visual storytelling.

Transformers already got the axe. Couldn't stand the writing on either book, it was like a Matt Fraction team book with robots. Everybody is a snarky twat! Oh ho ho!

Granpa Bandit needs his olde timey Chris Claremont, Louise Simonson team funnies.

And in speak it and it becomes reality news.

I picked up a mini-comic about a barista at Heroes Con. SUCK IT JEDEYE! Fortunately my creative gold mine is still untapped, but clearly the barista funnies genre is on the verge of breaking out! :p

Dude, I fully support your Barista comix. Make it a gay barista and I am there with fucking bells on. Way better than AvX or whatever other spandex bollocks is being put out there. I'm indie too bro :)

Speaking of which, I've just been put into contact with a local artist so there may be even more gay barista webcomics in the market soon!

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

It's odd - on the one hand I can see that it's a fairly complex story that takes a bit of reading, but on the other hand I found almost every part in it comprehensible if given a little thought, and I found it incredibly rewarding. The concept of Barbatos, the stuff with Thomas Wayne/Doctor Hurt eating the bat/barbatos and living forever, and then that awesome time loop that Batman traps Barbatos in, and the bell from year one being the bells of the all-over. Man, every bit of that story clicked for me. Bruce's plan echoing down the centuries, his actions laying the foundation of Batman, bringing himself into existence in effect, so cool.

I don't like it when dense and complex is just called crazy. It's a little out there, yeah, but it's still a coherent story, otherwise how did I understand it? Granted, I read it as it was coming out so the material from RoBW, B&R and Batman are all jumbled up in my head as one big story (since that's what it was) but I think it was masterful. And bear in mind that the whole Doctor Hurt/Thomas Wayne/Barbatos stuff isn't wrapped up in RoBW at all, but in the last issue of Batman and Robin.

But y'know, it's not for everyone I guess. But I appreciate that a story this complex was allowed to be told, and that there is an audience for it warms my heart.

That'd be it, I haven't read Black Glove & Batman & Son yet.

I really enjoyed Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader, but a) Gaiman and b) Not really all that plugged into continuity since it's about the mythos and all.

So have you read RIP as well? It hurts my OCD brain to think of people reading this story in a random order all out of sequence! And it's DC's fault for not putting numbers of the damn spines, such a dumb move on their part.

I also strongly recommend Sláine. He is pretty awesome.

Lombaszko

Granted, I read it as it was coming out so the material from RoBW, B&R and Batman are all jumbled up in my head as one big story (since that's what it was) but I think it was masterful. And bear in mind that the whole Doctor Hurt/Thomas Wayne/Barbatos stuff isn't wrapped up in RoBW at all, but in the last issue of Batman and Robin.

I'm the same way. I recently re-read Batman 700-702, RoBW and B&R 13-16, and let me tell you, chills! The character arcs are amazing. If you start from the beginning of Morrison's Batman you get Bruce realizing that he's never been alone and has always had help from friends and family. Dick gets confident and comfortable in Gotham and as Batman. Damian forms a real brotherly bond with Dick, as well as earns the respect of Bruce. The Joker even grows as a character when he realizes that "his" Batman is gone.

Plus throughout this whole thing, Morrison was working with some of the best artists at DC. I can understand people being confused and not liking it at first, I really didn't like Batman R.I.P. the first time I read it. But re-reading everything in order really gives you perspective and understanding how layered the writing is makes this entire run something special.

I also found these Annotations on Comics Alliance extremely interesting and helps to give a better idea on what exactly Morrison is trying to say.

Yesterday, they released a Spider-Man teaser for that THIS IS WAR thing, drawn by Marco Checcetto and I was like, "Wait a minute...this is probably a Punisher War Journal thing, not another event"

Yep.

PunisherWarZoneTeaser_02.jpg

Owzers

Feels like Punisher or Deadpool are killing the marvel universe on twice a year basis. I don't think i care.

Yesterday, they released a Spider-Man teaser for that THIS IS WAR thing, drawn by Marco Checcetto and I was like, "Wait a minute...this is probably a Punisher War Journal thing, not another event"

Yep.

PunisherWarZoneTeaser_02.jpg

I'm interested. Hopefully has a different tone than the main book.

To be fair I'm going to read the current run as a whole as see if I like it more.

Speaking of awesome indie comics, the Kickstarter for the Cerebus High Society Digital Edition has a day or two to go. They're throwing in some insane bonuses in, like new TMNT art by Kevin Eastman, sketches from Jaime Hernandez, tons of signed books, etc.

Cerebus got cut from the OT due to time constraints, but I was going to mention it during the month since Dave Sim and Gerhard hold the record for the longest running independent comic series in North America. You crazy Canadians!

Wait a sec...so you WERE at Heroes Con?

Curiouser and curiouser....

This guy here. . .

I love it when people think I'm lying about massively pedestrian undertakings like this, and acting like I typed, "I just had a three way with Shae Marks and Eva Notty!"

Feels like Punisher or Deadpool are killing the marvel universe on twice a year basis. I don't think i care.

Wonderful misleading advertising though! I question how many Marvel zombies still fall for this shit? P.T. Barnum had it right. :|

Garth Ennis's Punisher Max will never be topped. Frank Castle cannot exist in a world filled with trademarked and copyrighted characters he can never kill.

This guy here. . .

I love it when people think I'm lying about massively pedestrian undertakings like this, and acting like I typed, "I just had a three way with Shae Marks and Eva Notty!"

I'm just saying. I was at the same spot all three days and you didn't even say hi. Just a dude with hurt feelings and a thrown away sketch of ComicsGAF, that's all.

I'm just saying. I was at the same spot all three days and you didn't even say hi. Just a dude with hurt feelings and a thrown away sketch of ComicsGAF, that's all.

52 guest I wanted to meet.

I managed to hit 20 of them, plus a bunch of incidentals.

15 panels I wanted to attend.

I was only able to get to eight of them.

I could count the people I'd want to meet from neogaf on one hand, not counting the opposable thumb.

The rest would be wondering what the old tires and gas cans are for. By then my plan would have been hatched.

It would be easier to blockade the entrances of a faux meet-up and then release the honey badgers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom