• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! July |OT| - Independents Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Owzers

I'd stick to just the Ultimates and abandon ship, you have the first two volumes of Millar's run with Ultimates 2 vol 1 and 2 to finish it off. Some people love Ultimate Spider-Man, there's a million issues worth if you're interested.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
My latest order, lots of new series:

* Animal Man: Vol 1 (Jeff Lemire one)
* Batwoman: Vol 1
* DMZ: Vol 1
* Fatale: Vol 1
* Frankenstein: Agent of SHADE: Vol 1
* The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: Century: 2009
* Lost Dogs
* Scalped: Vol 1

Reading through the Heroes Con pick-ups.

I've been a fan of Jeremy Dale for a while now, and at Heroes I discovered he's working on his own book Skyward. I picked up all four issues and it starts a little rough, mainly some cliche writing; but the ball gets rolling in issue #2 and the pages kept turning.

It's a fantasy romp, similar to Tellos, Elfquest, etc.

You can get Skyward from http://www.jeremy-dale.com/ or you can buy them from him at a convention near you.

iJgca.jpg

Ko0b0.jpg

mY1va.jpg

Forward him this link.

http://www.pentel.com/store/pentel-pocket-brush-pen

;D

Setre

Read Robin: Year One and really enjoyed it. Might have to give the Nightwing series (new 52) another shot.

Friktion321

Neo Member
250px-Irredeemable_Cassaday_cover_art.jpg

don't know if this book has been talked about in this thread (i'm sure it has), but this book is absolutely amazing. was recommended to me by the comic book podcast "Cape Crisis."

What would happen if Superman went crazy is basically what this book is about.

TheDiabolical

I didn't read my own avatar and now everyone knows I'm not too bright. :(
AvX pissed me off last month.

AvX: we find hope on the moon
Uncanny XMen: we find Hope on the moon
Xmen Legacy: we find Hope on the moon
WatX: guess what? we find Hope on the moon

shit got old real quick. canceled Legacy.

really like Hit Girl though. sub added.

is it wrong that Aquaman is one of the comics i really look forward too?

250px-Irredeemable_Cassaday_cover_art.jpg

don't know if this book has been talked about in this thread (i'm sure it has), but this book is absolutely amazing. was recommended to me by the comic book podcast "Cape Crisis."

What would happen if Superman went crazy is basically what this book is about.

I read it in issues, but dropped off. Now that it's all done, im gonna get the trades

Owzers

irredeemable is one of those books i want to read yet don't. Maybe it's Boom $3.99 pricing or the fact that it's a very long running series at 10 tpbs and then Incorruptible after that, but i hope to eventually get it in a format and pricing that i'm okay with.

Unrelated note:

Comixology has a sale going on now till Thursday for what appears to be Dan Slott's Amazing Spider-Man all the way from Big Time to the end of Spider-Island. Worth checking out if you don't want to dive in to the very large Big Time tpb collection .

@TheDiabolical: Yeah, the forced AvX tie-in resulted in the first ever boring Wolverine and the X-Men issue. It wasn't bad per se, but very redundant.

Uncanny X-Men #14 was brilliant in the way it tied into AvX while telling its own very different, very separate story.

Warren Ellis/Ben Templesmith
Fell
gZV1Z.jpg

Indie Rec #1

Fell is a series about a Detective that moves into the city, Snowtown.

The best way to describe this comic is if David Fincher's Se7en became a series. Ellis does a good job making each issue a case, that gives you hope for this bleak series. Ben Templesmith is a sublime complement to the tone of the book. He uses a simplified box panel story progression, nothing fancy. Highlight issues are #3, #5, #8.

Sadly this series is on hiatus, but the first volume does feel like a completed story. Check it out.

Because Phoenix is the best :D

Actually have any of you folks read Morning Glories? What's the general consensus on it?

I picked up the latest volume this past week and highly enjoyed it. It reminds me of Lost, because of the mystery and unexplained events that occur.

His pencils are super tight.

I don't get it, but he's one of those people that just does shit super tight.

However I'm going on three weeks with my Pentel Pocket Brush and it's taking some getting used to. It's about the same quality as a Kuretake brush pen, but less prone to leaking. Both are better options than any of the other non-bristle brush pens on the market; but a sable hair brush is still best.

Fell
gZV1Z.jpg

Indie Rec #1

The best way to describe this comic is if David Fincher's Se7en became a series. Ellis does a good job making each issue a case, that gives you hope for this bleak series. Ben Templesmith is a sublime complement to the tone of the book. He uses a simplified box panel story progression, nothing fancy. Highlight issues are #3, #5, #8.

Sadly this series is on hiatus, but the first volume does feel like a completed story. Check it out.

Didn't Warren Ellis give up writing comics officially? That would mean hope for more Fell is pointless.

Did you guys ever think your comics needed more math in them?!

Well then check out The Unstoppable Tuff Girl. It has a full on math lesson in the middle of the book on how to calculate velocity. WTF!?

3BHy8.jpg

WooFM.jpg

Story is a little rough, but Bryan Mon's art is fantastic and it has pretty girls and lizard monsters. Oh and a super strong Elvis impersonator hero/villain.

Points for fluffy dog sidekick. I really like the look and designs of the book, so hopefully it sticks around. Although it's been two years since the last issue.

Next up Monica Moon from Andrew Pepoy!

4lH4M.jpg

7894p.jpg

Good girl space adventure. This one is pretty fantastic all around. The art is like the love child of Dan DeCarlo and Brian Bolland (the Bolland due to the fantastic color work).

Best 99¢ I've spent in a while. You need to go rattle cages at Mansion Comics to tell them you want more Monica.

Because Phoenix is the best :D

Actually have any of you folks read Morning Glories? What's the general consensus on it?

Starts out amazing, quickly becomes incomprehensible.

Bandit, we're you ever a fan of Trekker? Monica Moon has shades of Ron Randall too.

Btw: Ron Randall has been putting up his amazing Trekker series up as a web comic.
http://trekkercomic.com/

They are into the color issues, but you can start at the beginning for free!

c7a5b2c0.jpg

de92eeb0.jpg

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Read Robin: Year One and really enjoyed it. Might have to give the Nightwing series (new 52) another shot.

Eh, they're two very different beasts. Robin Year One was Chuck Dixon at the height of his powers. Nu Nightwing is a C/B tier superhero book with awkward stilted art. If you want more of that Year One goodness, pick up Batgirl Year One and then Nightwing Year One (both by Chucky D). They follow a loose progression and give you a good grounding in the universe.

And actually, if you like them, I'd advise picking up all the late 90s, early 2000s batbooks you can find. It was a great era that is sadly overlooked in collections.

Tizoc

Sorry for asking this again, but I'd like to know of any more sites that I can order TPBs, etc. from and can deliver worldwide (I live in the Middle East)?

Fell
gZV1Z.jpg

Indie Rec #1

Hiatus? IIRC, Ellis' script for the later issue(s) were lost in a harddrive crash or some such and he stopped working on it.
Regardless it's among my fav. Warren Ellis series.

Will check out Trekker and Skyward.

I'd stick to just the Ultimates and abandon ship, you have the first two volumes of Millar's run with Ultimates 2 vol 1 and 2 to finish it off. Some people love Ultimate Spider-Man, there's a million issues worth if you're interested.
Okay. I have read Ultimate Iron Man Armored Wars(Friend bought it) and it ended pretty bad, abrupt... Still the Iron Man design is so good.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Okay. I have read Ultimate Iron Man Armored Wars(Friend bought it) and it ended pretty bad, abrupt... Still the Iron Man design is so good.

Yeah, the Ult Iron Man stuff is all pretty meh really. The Scott-Card stuff has now been retconned out so it's just a TV Show in the Ultimate Universe (blah!), Armour Wars was abrupt and pointless... Iron Man/Hulk was ok but ruined by an obvious villain.

If you like pretty pictures of Iron Man, do a google image search and save yourself $40.

Ultimate Spider-Man is great though. There's a good series of three minis about Ultimate Galactus (begins with Nightmare iirc) - that's pretty great Ellis stuff. There was a recent series of three minis as well called Ultimate Doom that was pretty entertaining too. It's not going to change the world but it was fun, and it set up this last series of Ultimates pretty well (which, final issue aside was pretty damn good stuff and will make a good trade or three).

sca2511

Would library binding be equivalent to hardcover? Going through Amazon and sometimes I see that there is no hardcover option for some trades, but there is the option of library binding.

Owzers

Didn't know there was a 99 cent sale on ASM. What issues are good?

I'd either start at the first issue on sale, the beginning of Dan Slott's run, or the beginning of Spider-Island at around 666 for the prelude or skip right to 667's first part of the story. Depends on how much money you want to spend, might as well start with the first issue and see if you like it. I didn't really like Spider-Island but the majority of folks around here do, so i just glare at them from time to time. Overall ASM is worth reading though to find out for yourself, if you like it the quality is very consistent.

Why do the X-men trust the Phoenix not to blow the world up?

There's no perfect way to justify it. Scott's plan to use the Phoenix (which has been a force of destruction and death so many times before) to help the mutant cause is something a villain would do. It was a barely believable plot device, but at least it gave way to a (so far) awesome comic.

Marvel-comic-con-2012_320.jpg

http://popwatch.ew.com/2012/07/02/jean-grey-marvel-comic-con/

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/07/02/marvel-now-bring-you-the-return-of-jean-grey/

That’s why EW is excited to reveal an exclusive first look at an upcoming initiative by Marvel Comics that will build off the current Avengers vs. X-Men crossover and radically alter the Marvel universe as you know it. For now, we just want to tease you with a first look at an exclusive piece of art by Marvel CEO Joe Quesada.

To answer your questions: Yes, this is Jean Grey — as in, the Jean Grey who’s been absent from Marvel comics ever since dying for a second time back in the mid-00s. And yes, she is modeling her vintage blue-and-yellow X-Men outfit from her Marvel Girl days. Does this mean that the fan-favorite character is finally returning? We can only confirm that her presence in the Marvel universe will not be imaginary. This will not be part of the Ultimate line-up. She will not be a zombie hologram, like Shard on X-Factor. What could this all mean? Check back tomorrow, when all the secrets will be revealed. (Or some of them, anyhow.)
Watch it have nothing to do whatsoever with the current Marvel U, like a flashback series or "Season One" sequel or something. And yet...

Nesotenso

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/07/02/marvel-now-bring-you-the-return-of-jean-grey/

Watch it have nothing to do whatsoever with the current Marvel U, like a flashback series or "Season One" sequel or something. And yet...

I hope that is the case. I like Jean Grey but I want her death to be permanent now. This constant dying/ coming back shtick is something I don't want to be a constant with the character.

Yeah, the use of the original costume strongly implies that if this isn't a flashback, it's just a clone/time travel/alternate-reality version who ends up in the present-day 616, and not an actual resurrection. But I guess we'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom