• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! July |OT| - Independents Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
52 guest I wanted to meet.

I managed to hit 20 of them, plus a bunch of incidentals.

15 panels I wanted to attend.

I was only able to get to eight of them.

I could count the people I'd want to meet from neogaf on one hand, not counting the opposable thumb.

The rest would be wondering what the old tires and gas cans are for. By then my plan would have been hatched.

It would be easier to blockade the entrances of a faux meet-up and then release the honey badgers.

Dang!

Yesterday, they released a Spider-Man teaser for that THIS IS WAR thing, drawn by Marco Checcetto and I was like, "Wait a minute...this is probably a Punisher War Journal thing, not another event"

Yep.

PunisherWarZoneTeaser_02.jpg
Amazing how many people are already trying to write this off as another "Punisher Kills the Marvel Universe" ripoff based solely on promotional artwork, which as we all know never NEVER lies. No creative team announced, no solicitation blurb, a vague press release declaring it a new series, and little informed knowledge of the Punisher's direction under Greg Rucka being displayed, yet the promo art shows heroes getting shot so it MUST be a lame retread.

Owzers

Amazing how many people are already trying to write this off as another "Punisher Kills the Marvel Universe" ripoff based solely on promotional artwork, which as we all know never NEVER lies. No creative team announced, no solicitation blurb, a vague press release declaring it a new series, and little informed knowledge of the Punisher's direction under Greg Rucka being displayed, yet the promo art shows heroes getting shot so it MUST be a lame retread.

Stop paying attention to how marvel hypes things!

GCQuinton

So Spider-Men #2 had a pretty interesting reveal:

Ultimate Mysterio is just an avatar being controlled by 616 Mysterio, so he's known about the Ultimate Universe for a while now.

Wonder how that's gonna play into future stories, if at all.

Jintor

Started reading Sandman Vol 2 today. The world building is so creative. Maybe I should start reading more non-tights books...

Sandman is one of the best.

Someone borrowed my Volume 9 of it years ago and hasn't returned it and now I don't remember who. I think I'll just suck up the cost and buy a new copy...

forced off or he left?

He "left" but most likely forced out. I'm not sure DC likes having their flagship title critically panned and they have been quick to act on creative team changes even for high selling books. Brah is gonna draw a Wave 4 book now, hopefully Cyborg.

He "left" but most likely forced out. I'm not sure DC likes having their flagship title critically panned and they have been quick to act on creative team changes even for high selling books. Brah is gonna draw a Wave 4 book now, hopefully Cyborg.

Liefeld to take over DC confirmed

dat a-list talent

So Rafa, I always assumed that Liefeld avatar was ironic but can you confirm?

It's ironic brah. I like EXTREME things, but Liefeld is not EXTREME enough for me.

And right now I'm super pissed at the Young Justice toy line cancellation. I can't find a Static or Lagoon Boy figure. Gonna have to go with Cyborg, Aquaman, Blue Beetle and Zatanna if I can find a decent one.

Edit: Any advice brahs on where to get action figures and which ones to get? I'm taking them out of the package and putting them on my desk. I need reasonable prices, but not McDonalds toy level of quality. The only Marvel brah I want to get so far is Gambit (I said it) since Squirrel Girl doesn't have one.

It's ironic brah. I like EXTREME things, but Liefeld is not EXTREME enough for me.

And right now I'm super pissed at the Young Justice toy line cancellation. I can't find a Static or Lagoon Boy figure. Gonna have to go with Cyborg, Aquaman, Blue Beetle and Zatanna if I can find a decent one.

Edit: Any advice brahs on where to get action figures and which ones to get? I'm taking them out of the package and putting them on my desk. I need reasonable prices, but not McDonalds toy level of quality. The only Marvel brah I want to get so far is Gambit (I said it) since Squirrel Girl doesn't have one.

Impulse Creations http://www.impulsecreations.net/catalog/
Mike's Comics 'n Stuff http://stores.homestead.com/MikesComicsNStuff/StoreFront.bok

Mattel really screwed the pooch on their licensed DC figures, and I type this as a fan of the DC Universe Classic line. They couldn't get distribution sorted out. Fans couldn't find the damned things. They over shipped old waves. They warmed pegs. Retailers didn't re-order.

Mattel took it online only, but apparently this is the final wave of the series. God damn shame. These are some fantastic toys.

Now with it behind me I can find an Orion and Etrigan for my collection.

Thanks brah, I have a lot of tough decisions to make on what to get. If only there were more Independent comic toys!

They come out.

You need to check Previews.

Toy Biz tried after they lost the Marvel license a few years back. I got my Body Bags, Savage Dragon, Super Patriot, Star, and Monkeyman & O'Brien figures from that line.

Fusebox

Banned
GAF help me remember a comic character!

He was a white guy who wore a black outfit with small white or yellow stars all over it, probably in the 90s sometime.

Fusebox

Banned
Maybe, but the beard doesn't look familiar and I thought my guy had black hair and more traditionally star-shaped stars, if that makes sense.

Anyone else having problems logging in comixology via android app? Website is working ok but just bought a few books and would like to read them.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Anyone else having problems logging in comixology via android app? Website is working ok but just bought a few books and would like to read them.

I had no clue, purchased a couple of comics on the ipad app this morning and am getting error messages trying to download them. They just hang at requesting comic... just hope they finally start downloading, cause they had no problems charging me bleh

edit- Yea it's f-ed up. Checked their twitter account and they are aware of the problem, been working on it for hours.

Some major server issues it seems affecting the app I guess and something to do with amazon.

edit- my purchases just started downloading phew

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
recommendations

Thanks! A lot of these seem a problem to find, though (2000AD not put much of their back catalogue on digital shops, or I'm just not looking hard enough). Managed to get the Day the Law Died from a bookstore, though.

Spider Men makes me want to see Alpha and Black Spiderman meet already. Thanks for the recs on the action figures brah, flippin' through Marvel now. Hypernaturals is classic DnA, really interested to see what they can do with editorial out of their way and building their own universe.

8bit

Knows the Score
Thanks! A lot of these seem a problem to find, though (2000AD not put much of their back catalogue on digital shops, or I'm just not looking hard enough). Managed to get the Day the Law Died from a bookstore, though.

Yeah there doesn't seem to be a lot of content on digital yet for some reason, I'm sure it'll come though. There are loads of collections in print, and the Case Files (and other collections such as Nemesis The Warlock) are reasonably priced.

Tizoc

Please help me out here GAF; although I use Comixology, I personally much prefer book form when it comes to reading comics. I don't want to use Amazon since they take a long time to send stuff.
As such what's a good site that I can order TPBs, etc. from and can deliver worldwide (I live in the Middle East)?

Nesotenso

Just caught up with Rucka's Punisher and issue 12 was great. Loved the whole all the panels in the rain. Missed it in the September Solicits but issue 15 and 16 come out that month and it says their "Prepare for the war zone". Excited.

I am disappointed that sales haven't picked up because this has been great.

Please help me out here GAF; although I use Comixology, I personally much prefer book form when it comes to reading comics. I don't want to use Amazon since they take a long time to send stuff.
As such what's a good site that I can order TPBs, etc. from and can deliver worldwide (I live in the Middle East)?

Bookdepository.com but their shipping is slower than Amazon for me but they may be quicker for you since they are U.K. based

Reading through the Heroes Con pick-ups.

I've been a fan of Jeremy Dale for a while now, and at Heroes I discovered he's working on his own book Skyward. I picked up all four issues and it starts a little rough, mainly some cliche writing; but the ball gets rolling in issue #2 and the pages kept turning.

It's a fantasy romp, similar to Tellos, Elfquest, etc.

You can get Skyward from http://www.jeremy-dale.com/ or you can buy them from him at a convention near you.

iJgca.jpg

Ko0b0.jpg

mY1va.jpg

I'm going to look into that Skyward comic brah, I noticed that one issue was even colored. Is that some something that he will do after the graphite edition is released?

Uncanny X-Men #14 lived up to the hype I've been hearing around these parts.

AvX #6 was riveting. Can't wait for #7. Coipel on art helps, anyone knows if he's on for the rest of the series or is double JR coming back?

I'm going to look into that Skyward comic brah, I noticed that one issue was even colored. Is that some something that he will do after the graphite edition is released?

I suspect he's doing it black and white because it's self published. Hopefully he'll get digital editions out as well.

I need to look into it.

A few months ago I asked for comic recommendation(the titles are still on my list) but this week I was in Munich and had the opportunity to check out a comic story. I used my chance, got in and looked for Science Fiction stuff. There were a lot but at the end I decided for these comic books:
From left to right:
The Fourth Power
The Saga of The Meta-Barons Compilation #1 + #2 (German)
The Ultimates Vol 2. Homeland Security
The Ultimates Vol 1. Super-Human
Justice League #1 (German/new DC universe)
And the other book is the manga "Knights Of Sidonia" by Tsutomu Nihei. So it does not belong in this thread.

My question is about the Ultimates series. The books I bought looks independent enough, but it looks like a whole universe for me. Which comic books of the Ultimates series are worth to check out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom