• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! July |OT| - Independents Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Owzers

Anything exciting that gets announced by Marvel right now is guaranteed 3.99. At least they are including digital codes.

Read the last issue of Ends of the Earth, the only thing i liked about it was the
Rhino stand down, the whole situation was well done, dialog and all
I could do without the rest of this story.

Just read last week's Justice League issue.

Dude, the Shazam backup is so much better than anything else in this series so far.

I hate neither, but I also haven't read a lot of their recent stuff.

Bendis/Maleev Daredevil is one of my favorite runs of all time.

Hmmm why is no one talking about Monkeybrain Comics launching on comixology today? I had to find out on the street ( randomly on my tablet), and the books look good too! Anyone try one yet?

And Chris Roberson is involved? His books' premise, Edison Rex, sounds a lot like Megamind movie, but i presume the comic will be better....a lot better.

Also Bandette:

tumblr_m6jnvrE3jf1qzw4uno1_500.jpg

Sorry man, digital stuff is the also ran option. I don't cover that. :\

Though I wish Roberson much success. He's walking the walk. Fuck Marvel/DC and their anti-creator horse shit.

Oh and the Marvel New Five Too books underscore Ethan Van Sciver's point that this is the age of the writer. Look at all those titles with ????? as an artist.

Well Spank is in luck, Duk Hyun Cho be drawin' dat Wolverine. Which probably means he'll be drawing lots of Shoehorn, because Duky don't love dudes.

Owzers

Who does everyone hate more Brian Bendis or Geoff Johns?

I used to really really like Johns' work before New Krypton, Brightest Day, Flashpoint, War of the Green Lanterns etc etc etc. I haven't liked anything Bendis has written in a long, long time and i see no hope in his current groove of Spidey talk and stretched out plotlines. No real winners, though i think Johns will write something i love well before Bendis does. Green Lantern has gotten a bit better, but i'm afraid that Third Army is going to be war of the green lanterns-bad.

Yep. There was some rough stretches, but the good far outnumbers the bad.

It's funny, I quit reading comics a few years ago right around the time Bendis became reviled amongst many readers. So it was weird coming back to comics and everyone telling me "don't read Bendis books, they're awful".

Seems I read most of his beloved stuff, and missed out on the allegedly mediocre stuff.

I do want to catch up on his Avengers run (read most of it back in the day but stopped after Secret Invasion) up until The Siege, and then stop. I hear that event was good and that Bendis should have called it quits after that.

Owzers

Siege was good in that it wasn't as horrible as it could have been....it was a glorified Sentry fight book that happened to involve Asgard and sent JMS packing from Thor /grudge.

If you do catch up sometime, make sure to read Dark Avengers.

tm24

Seems I read most of his beloved stuff, and missed out on the allegedly mediocre stuff.

I do want to catch up on his Avengers run (read most of it back in the day but stopped after Secret Invasion) up until The Siege, and then stop. I hear that event was good and that Bendis should have called it quits after that.

I wouldnt recommend his Avengers issues to anyone. It's all so meh. Except Civil War: The Confession. That was amazing.

sca2511

This has probably been mentioned numerous times, but ugh, I'm having an issue in deciding whether to go digital or physical. Right now I'm collecting trades, but I don't know what to do about singles. What do you guys prefer and why? Maybe your reasoning will help me put it in perspective.

Who does everyone hate more Brian Bendis or Geoff Johns?

Bendis gets more hate. Johns has his misses butt I'll follow him to whatever book he lands on and I know it'll be generally quality. He falters th emost with the big events (but still much better than Bendis). The more obscure the character the better he seems to do. Ie hawk man, aqua man, etc.

Bendis is good unless he's writing either an event comic or a team book. It's like brubaker. Keep him away from team books.

Owzers

This has probably been mentioned numerous times, but ugh, I'm having an issue in deciding whether to go digital or physical. Right now I'm collecting trades, but I don't know what to do about singles. What do you guys prefer and why? Maybe your reasoning will help me put it in perspective.

I'm a digital opportunist, when it's on sale and/or hard to find in trades, i'll go digital.

Example: Monkeybrain Comics is digital exclusive, Atomic Robo sale, Seaguy vol 2 isn't in trade but is available digitally.

Single issue benefits:

You can sell your issues after you finish reading.

Marvel 3.99 cape books are now coming with digital codes, so you can throw/give/eat your physical copy and still have digital for no extra cost, not to mention that Marvel doesn't discount digital issues to begin with....

They are made of paper and trees are jerks. Think of splinters or when you tried to climb one and fell.

I made the switch from paper to digital this year. And honestly I'll never go back

Here are my reasons for the move
1) can get any issue when I want w/o making the trip to the store
2) all my comics in one location and I never have to deal with my piles of floppies ( that I never got to organizing so I never could find anything unless it was traded up)
3) cheaper IF you wait a month. Except for Marvel, because they're idiots, all other publishers knock off a dollar cover price after a month. I'm usually behind on comics so this saves me cash as I tend to stay spoiler free and don't mind being off an issue. I'm back to most books being 1.99 (and some 2.99 dc books)
4) plenty of 99 cent sales that are cheaper than even amazon priced trades. Plus you can get whole back issue runs from comics never traded up. I got the whole fables run on a 99 cent sale half price of buying the same run in trades. There's Monday and weekend sales every week
5) the comics are ad free. And I like this
6) it cut down on my double dip trades. Most trades i was buying were comics I got in floppy form that I'd want to read again. I still will do this, but now that I can find and read them in good quality the long trade runs are no longer purchased. I now wait for the cool omnibuses and whatnot or books I'd want to loan out
7) good reading experience. Once you get used to it I find it is as good or better than the normal way. With the HD comics and panel to panel zoom you can remain more spoiler free of events on the page with really clear zoomed in imagery and words.

Hope this helps

kswiston

Some people can't stand reading digital, but if you don't mind it/get used to it, I think digital is the better option for readers who don't care about physical collections. Your entire library is in one place. You don't have to worry about long boxes, bagging/boarding, organizing etc. Want to take your comics on vacation? Put them all on your phone/tablet/laptop. No more trips to the comic shop. No more worrying about books selling out if you forgot to add it to your pull list. Unlike mail order comics, you get your books day 1. Also, if you are patient, you can get back catalog stuff on sale even cheaper than you can in trades.

Owzers

i miss getting books day one. It's a long wait for my dcbs monthly shipments and i don't want to slash my savings by adding more frequent shipments.

thetechkid

I've been wanting to get into the spiderman comics and watching the new movie only made me want to start up on that even more but I'm not sure where to start. I know some bits of Spidy's history like the stuff with the clones and the marriage/undoing that stuff but beyond that just I just got bit and pieces from the movies, tv show, some comics. I'm not really sure where to start with the series but The Gauntlet looked interesting. Is that a good place to start?

sca2511

I've been wanting to get into the spiderman comics and watching the new movie only made me want to start up on that even more but I'm not sure where to start. I know some bits of Spidy's history like the stuff with the clones and the marriage/undoing that stuff but beyond that just I just got bit and pieces from the movies, tv show, some comics. I'm not really sure where to start with the series but The Gauntlet looked interesting. Is that a good place to start?

I'm starting with the very beginning with Marvel Essentials/Omnibus. Many people don't recommend that path though. I think the best jump on point for modern Spiderman would be "Spiderman: Big Time" or "Spiderman: Origin of the Species". From what I've read in various forums anyway.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Single issue benefits:

You can sell your issues after you finish reading.

Yeah good luck with that.

Marvel 3.99 cape books are now coming with digital codes, so you can throw/give/eat your physical copy and still have digital for no extra cost, not to mention that Marvel doesn't discount digital issues to begin with....

But I only need to read most books once (since most books are just... there).

They are made of paper and trees are jerks. Think of splinters or when you tried to climb one and fell.

OK I can't argue with that one! :D

I dropped physical books mainly because they take up so much space for something that I'll never look at again. So I now buy digital for the 'saturday morning cartoon' experience but I'll buy trades for the actual good stuff still.

Owzers

So far out of Monkeybrain Comics:

Bandette was okay, i'll probably give it another issue to hook me but I found the first somewhat flat when it comes to the plot. Liked the art a lot. 3/5

Edison Rex: This is what Chris Roberson doing superman without restrictions would look like perhaps. Really liked the issue, i found the idea behind it intriguing and i am definitely getting the next issue. 4/5. Check it out.

I buy independent comics by the issue because if you don't buy them, then they may not make it to the trade.

For mainstream comics (Marvel/DC) you can pretty much trade wait all their bullshit.

Owzers

I buy independent comics by the issue because if you don't buy them, then they may not make it to the trade.

For mainstream comics (Marvel/DC) you can pretty much trade wait all their bullshit.

It's a shame too, that's the reverse of how i enjoy reading comics. Buy DC/Marvel monthly to follow continuity/events, buy independent comics in standalone trades. I am buying a lot more non-marvel/dc books monthly though for support

And i'm thinking about skipping the Thief of Thieves trade....any reason i shouldn't?

It's a shame too, that's the reverse of how i enjoy reading comics. Buy DC/Marvel monthly to follow continuity/events, buy independent comics in standalone trades. I am buying a lot more non-marvel/dc books monthly though for support

I've long since divorced myself from mainstream comic continuity. There's no point in trying to draw a straight line from what happened to Spiderman in 1962, through to 2012. Especially when you look at how little has actually changed in 50 years. How insignificant most of the runs have been. How utterly unimpressive multiple titles featuring that single character can be.

As I said - Marvel / DC don't need my money. Red 5 Comics needs my money.

Avengers Vs X-Men 4 $3.99 Marvel 178,330
Atomic Robo Real Science Adv 2 $2.75 Red 5 4,160

That's like giving Donal Trump $5 to get something to eat, instead of the homeless guy.

For ASM, definitely start with Big Time. My rule of thumb with indies/Image is if it sounds remotely interesting to me I buy at least the first issue. Lot of new series this year from Image you can check out.

Owzers

reading Wolverine and the X-Men #10 is depressing. How did Aaron know that i wanted more long-winded Cyclops/Wolverine conversations?

If WATXM spins off into a different book and doesn't exist after AvX, no one will remember the title ever existed. It was a great 4 issue starting arc after Schism and nothing more. Another example of a marketing event ruining something that could have been great.

reading Wolverine and the X-Men #10 is depressing. How did Aaron know that i wanted more long-winded Cyclops/Wolverine conversations?

If WATXM spins off into a different book and doesn't exist after AvX, no one will remember the title ever existed. It was a great 4 issue starting arc after Schism and nothing more. Another example of a marketing event ruining something that could have been great.

I'd say it was a 5 star book for 8 issues with only a slight dip now that the event is going on. Doubt they'll change the book too much, the sales numbers are quite good

Owzers

i'd say first 4 issues about a 4/5, next few issues 3/5, AvX stuff now 2/5. Just read issue #11, it's just feeding off of AvX scraps. The book started full of possibliites, a new school with lots of interesting students and fun dialog. Now during AvX it's just slow plot retreads over AvX content, Wolverine debating with Cyclops, then next issue Wolverine thinking about Hope/Jean/Phoenix. The "fun" that i originally had in that first arc is done. I might be a little too harsh on it, but i think there's a lot of wasted potential...and my money.

sca2511

I dropped physical books mainly because they take up so much space for something that I'll never look at again. So I now buy digital for the 'saturday morning cartoon' experience but I'll buy trades for the actual good stuff still.

Yeah I'm thinking about doing this. I'll follow singles by using digital and get my favorites in hardcover/trades.

Read through the first issue of Batgirl through Comixology and I enjoyed it.

i'd say first 4 issues about a 4/5, next few issues 3/5, AvX stuff now 2/5. Just read issue #11, it's just feeding off of AvX scraps. The book started full of possibliites, a new school with lots of interesting students and fun dialog. Now during AvX it's just slow plot retreads over AvX content, Wolverine debating with Cyclops, then next issue Wolverine thinking about Hope/Jean/Phoenix. The "fun" that i originally had in that first arc is done. I might be a little too harsh on it, but i think there's a lot of wasted potential...and my money.

Exactly how I feel. Only hope now is wait until solicits/previews post AvX.

Owzers

I'm more hype for post-AvX now more then ever. We can get WATXM back, at least

yep, hypemeter for Marvel is off the charts, goodbye Bendis! Hello Remender/three issue of Cassaday, Hickman/three issues of Opena.

Though...as much as i hate...there's still a chance of me looking into that Bendis X-Men book. Maybe just when it hits MDCU or a used trade.

I know they won't do it, but if they release more 3 dollar books I would be back in fully. I subbed to all the new books that are coming out in the next two months. But with me, all it takes is one poor four dollar double shipped book to drop. I hope at SDCC they announce most of the new series/creative teams.

ghostmind

So, if we are looking at about 20 to 25 new/relaunched Marvel titles, which current ones stay and which go?

My thoughts on the X-books...

Age of Apocalypse; i don't see this lasting long
Astonishing X-Men; dead
Generation Hope; isn't this already dead
New Mutants; i don't care
Uncanny X-Force; rebooted yet again? (please still be good)
Uncanny X-Men; survives
WatXM; survives
X-Factor; time to wrap this one up?
X-Men; dead
X-Men Legacy; dead
X-Treme X-Men; please prove me wrong and be good

Deadpool; please die
Gambit; won't be long for this world
Wolverine; rebooted for the millionth time

All-New X-Men; Bendis being Bendis
Uncanny Avengers; the new hotness

Soooo, this week's Punisher... what's the significance of the
Doc Ock tentacle that Frank/Rachel stole from the auction? Aside from it being made of adamantium, is there something about that arm I'm not getting, some reference to a past story? Or is it something as yet unexplained?
Also, Frank may not talk much under Rucka's pen, but when he quips he does it with the best of them.

So, if we are looking at about 20 to 25 new/relaunched Marvel titles, which current ones stay and which go?

My thoughts on the X-books...

Age of Apocalypse; i don't see this lasting long
Astonishing X-Men; dead
Generation Hope; isn't this already dead
New Mutants; i don't care
Uncanny X-Force; rebooted yet again? (please still be good)
Uncanny X-Men; survives
WatXM; survives
X-Factor; time to wrap this one up?
X-Men; dead
X-Men Legacy; dead
X-Treme X-Men; please prove me wrong and be good

Deadpool; please die
Gambit; won't be long for this world
Wolverine; rebooted for the millionth time

All-New X-Men; Bendis being Bendis
Uncanny Avengers; the new hotness

I just hope Xfactor lives on. Its survived so many xmen shake ups what's one more. It's been my favorite title in the xmen universe for so long, I'd hate to see it go now. Too many open threads!

Soooo, this week's Punisher... what's the significance of the
Doc Ock tentacle that Frank/Rachel stole from the auction? Aside from it being made of adamantium, is there something about that arm I'm not getting, some reference to a past story? Or is it something as yet unexplained?
Also, Frank may not talk much under Rucka's pen, but when he quips he does it with the best of them.

I don't remember any. I'm chalking it up to something yet to be explained.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom