• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! July |OT| - Independents Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh man. The wind picked up when I was walking up the driveway and blew my comics to the ground. :(

DO YOU SEE THESE MAIMED CORNERS MOTHER NATURE?! THIS IS WHY WHEN I DIE, I'M COMING FOR YOU! I'M GONNA STICK MY FIST UP YOUR WHORE UTERUS AND WORK YOU LIKE A SOCK PUPPET! >:O

Actually, when you die you become Mother Nature.

what-a-twist.jpg

Also, MIND MGMT #2: WTF did I just read?

ElNarez

Banned
Actually, when you die you become Mother Nature.

No you don't. You become a fucking zombie and then Swampy and his buddy Buddy come and kick your ass. Animal Man and Swamp Thing were both quite fucking badass this week, y'all.

Also, Mind MGMT is playing so many games of various lengths it's incredibly fun to follow.

No you don't. You become a fucking zombie and then Swampy and his buddy Buddy come and kick your ass. Animal Man and Swamp Thing were both quite fucking badass this week, y'all.

Also, Mind MGMT is playing so many games of various lengths it's incredibly fun to follow.

I guess you got Swamp Thing #11 before everyone else?

Cool to see people enjoying Mind MGMT. Personally I'm not fully onboard yet, but I'll be there for issue 3. Might need to reread the first two, I'm having a hard time connecting the different plot points together.

ElNarez

Banned
Yeah. I am looking at my digital copy of Swamp Thing #11 as we speak. This is all absolutely legit. I did actually purchase Swamp Thing #11 from Comixology, during the apparently brief window when it was available for sale.
BJo5G.png

The latest AvX issue was all over the place, so much off screen fighting, might as well have editors notes saying "Buy Avengers 28 to see this fight." And Scott was characterized two different ways this issue.

And how many pages for this Monkeybrain stuff per issue?

Since today is Independence Day, I've been pondering the Benedict Arnold of funnybooks - Jim Lee.

Reflecting upon it, do you suspect the only reason DC even entertained buying Wildstorm was because of the America's Best Comics imprint? There's the possibility Moore's run on Wildcats was also of value to DC, but primarily that rich catalogue of fun new Moore characters that was too short lived.

Thanks for nothing Jim Lee. At least your kids will have braces.

Dick.

bdd11_jim-lee-big-wow-comic-fest.jpg

You jelly?

Any Independent that wouldn't sell out for millions is either a liar or an idiot. Sorry, kids. No college for you because pride.

bdd11_jim-lee-big-wow-comic-fest.jpg

You jelly?

Any Independent that wouldn't sell out for millions is either a liar or an idiot. Sorry, kids. No college for you because pride.

Jim Lee already had millions.

I doubt DC was hard up to get their hands on a shitty X-Men knock-off.

Robert Kirkman is doing pretty good for himself, and he's sub-Bendis level in terms of quality writing.

Last thing I say, fuck independent creator owned publishers for not allowing submissions. How do you expect brahs like me to break in. Give me a fucking artist and I'll make Roberson and his crew look like fools. And hyping up a Bill Willingham book? Brah couldn't even make a decent story out of characters that already exist.

Last thing I say, fuck independent creator owned publishers for not allowing submissions. How do you expect brahs like me to break in. Give me a fucking artist and I'll make Roberson and his crew look like fools.

There are plenty of options to get your work out there. If wildly mediocre comics that require a fucking FAQ to explain the humor like Penny Arcade can set those guys up for life, and allow them to hold conventions and start charities - THEN YOU CAN DO IT TOO!

From what I've read of publishers like Image, all you need to do to submit a book is get a book done. What's the problem? You were planning on doing it anyhow, right?

I've heard Oni is a little better in terms of soliciting and promoting the books.

Still, options exist. The only thing stopping you is laziness. Try outsourcing it to Canada, worked for Udung!

And hyping up a Bill Willingham book? Brah couldn't even make a decent story out of characters that already exist.

He did his best work in Ironwood.

Oh speaking of shitty comics.

The LCS had a Udung "artist" artbook marked down to $3 from $29.99. LOL LOL LOL

JJD

Considering AvX
are they going to make Emma a villain again? She practically killed Hawkeye (he would be dead by now if the 5 didn't use their powers), and now she is instigating Namor to wage war on Wakanda, and then there's that cover where it looks like she is fighting Cyclops.

If they're going that route consider me disappointed. While I have no strong feelings for Emma as a character, she works much better as an anti hero than as a straight up villain. Magneto was better as an idealistic villain than he is now too, the dude shouldn't be megalomaniac and he shouldn't be following others. Scott wants to take down Wanda and he is OK with it, and won't say anything? WTF...that's not the Magneto I know.

And I sure as hell hope Marvel don't pull the "the phoenix made me do it!" card when the 5 have to take responsibility for their actions. This would just undermine the story and possible future character growth, after all they were just possessed.

And considering Uncanny, the Cyttorak answer to Colossus proves that there's no doubt that the 5 are the wrong ones in this whole situation.

Last thing I say, fuck independent creator owned publishers for not allowing submissions. How do you expect brahs like me to break in. Give me a fucking artist and I'll make Roberson and his crew look like fools. And hyping up a Bill Willingham book? Brah couldn't even make a decent story out of characters that already exist.

I don't doubt you could pen some great comic stories...but I'm pretty sure almost anyone could. It just can't be that hard to write cape books.

Considering AvX
are they going to make Emma a villain again? She practically killed Hawkeye (he would be dead by now if the 5 didn't use their powers), and now she is instigating Namor to wage war on Wakanda, and then there's that cover where it looks like she is fighting Cyclops.

If they're going that route consider me disappointed. While I have no strong feelings for Emma as a character, she works much better as an anti hero than as a villain.

And I sure as hell hope Marvel don't pull the "the phoenix made me do it!" card when the 5 have to take responsibility for their actions. This would just undermine the story and possible future character growth.

And considering Uncanny, the Cyttorak answer to Colossus proves that there's no doubt that the 5 are the wrong ones in this whole situation.
It's probably the Phoenix's corrupting influence, and not some kind of "ha ha! I was evil the whole time" twist.

I don't doubt you could pen some great comic stories...but I'm pretty sure almost anyone could. It just can't be that hard to write cape books.

I ain't gonna do cape books brah, more comedy and horror books. I ain't gonna fanfic stuff.

Thanks for the pep talk TTOB, means a lot.

AvX #7: Still enjoying this book, but I wonder how they are going to keep things interesting for another five issues. There's been so much fighting already, and this week's cliffhanger suggest more of that in the series' immediate future. The downtime in issue #6 was in some way the most exciting part so far, because of the tension building up. I hope to see more intrigue in the remaining issues. To be fair, I would probably settle for a five issue-long mom insults throwdown between the two teams as long as it's drawn by Coipel.

Yeah. I am looking at my digital copy of Swamp Thing #11 as we speak. This is all absolutely legit. I did actually purchase Swamp Thing #11 from Comixology, during the apparently brief window when it was available for sale.
BJo5G.png

In retrospect, my post could have been interpreted as me questioning whether or not you paid for it, but it really wasn't. In fact, I've never heard of "leaked" comic books. Movies, music and whatnot but not comic books.

Okay, looks like I'll be able to dodge most of Fail Expo Canada by going Thursday. Then hanging out with my Canadian peeps on Friday.

What are good places to mooch free wifi in Toronto?

ElNarez

Banned
I love Twitter for pointless back and forth between creators.
[/IMG]http://i.imgur.com/ZYkBc.jpg[/IMG]
[/IMG]http://i.imgur.com/9dTEM.jpg[/IMG]

There's an incredibly small number of people in comics that don't have any right to take the high ground in a discussion with Gail Simone.

Dan Slott is among those few. Seriously. The last couple of issues of Spider-Man absofuckinglutely forbid him from talking shit to anyone, even if said anyone is currently writing Batgirl.

Owzers

The latest AvX issue was all over the place, so much off screen fighting, might as well have editors notes saying "Buy Avengers 28 to see this fight." And Scott was characterized two different ways this issue.

And how many pages for this Monkeybrain stuff per issue?

for the 99 cent ones i think it's about 15 pages...or so. It says it on the description page. Anywho, buy Edison Rex!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NawidA

Banned
The Monkeybrain stuff is pretty cool. Huge variety.

I mean, you can grab all of them for $6 so why not, right?

One thing I really like about it is it seems that creators have the freedom with page limits so everything feels a bit more relaxed and more natural.

Jim Lee already had millions.

I doubt DC was hard up to get their hands on a shitty X-Men knock-off.

Robert Kirkman is doing pretty good for himself, and he's sub-Bendis level in terms of quality writing.

And now he has more, as well as running on of the big two. No way to fault the guy at all.

Yeah, I know where you stand on all this.

Too big to fail.

The only silver lining will be when Lee's shitty redesigns get shelved.

I'll never see a problem when a man is more successful and makes a better life for his family.

Or if comic book character designs are changed. Wow. I know you run with the Independants schitck but this is real petty.

I'll buy and love mainstream and Independants if I like the books. That's all that matters.

AvX #7. What I struggle with most in this is similar to civil war, I'm trying to figure out why most of the xmen are following Scott. Like all of the sudden Havok is in the fray. When did this happen? And how is this all going down and Magneto and Xavier get so little involvement in the story. I just see Magneto hovering around just letting these walking gods make all the decisions without him in the inner circle for all mutant kind? I find that hard to believe.

I'll never see a problem when a man is more successful and makes a better life for his family.

Or if comic book character designs are changed. Wow. I know you run with the Independants schitck but this is real petty.

I'll buy and love mainstream and Independants if I like the books. That's all that matters.

Schtick?

When Marvel and DC start treating the fucking talent that draw readers to their books better, then I'll resume giving them my money. Treating talent like shit is not the way to go, and I realize this is just the way America is run these days; but there was also a time when we kept Africans in chains for manual labor.

Didn't make it right either.

A side result of this would be creators either retaining ownership, or better percentages of their creations, and maybe we'd start seeing new ideas and characters out of Marvel and DC instead of the inevitable generational reboots of flagging intellectual properties.

Though the smart money is on these companies dropping comics entirely to focus on cartoons, video games, and movies. Which could be what comics needs to gain traction as a legitimate entertainment medium in the West and not merely a children's medium (tenuous label these days since kids have smartphones and video games on tap 24/7).

I want to see comics become a thriving medium where somebody can earn an honest living in it. That's as much "schtick" for me as your sexual preference is a "schtick".

AvX #7. What I struggle with most in this is similar to civil war, I'm trying to figure out why most of the xmen are following Scott. Like all of the sudden Havok is in the fray. When did this happen? And how is this all going down and Magneto and Xavier get so little involvement in the story. I just see Magneto hovering around just letting these walking gods make all the decisions without him in the inner circle for all mutant kind? I find that hard to believe.

This would all make sense at is point if they revealed that Emma is controlling the rest of the non-Phoenix X-Men. Otherwise they are all acting out of character. Again.

Bandit, they all go in with eyes wide open. Just like we all do in our occupations. Would it be nice if they all got better pay and benefits? Of course. Just like in our jobs. If they want all the profits and all the control, they stay independent. If they want the advertising, and the best chance for a regular paycheck, they work for one of the mainstream imprints. Kinda like other people in real life.

I see it as a schitck because you lower yourself to silly shit like the Jim Lee comments. Do what you do. But don't think for a minute that comments like that elevate the issue.

In my book, Jim Lee is a better man for what he did (selling off Wildstorm for an amazing price) to take care of his family.

In the end, all this negativity is just poison.

Lombaszko

Anyone else pick up Batman: Earth One? I enjoyed it quite a bit. Gary Frank's take on the costume has a nice, homemade style to it. You can sort of see stitching on the cowl, which is a nice detail. A few characters suffer from (what I call) Frank-Face, but it's not too bad.
Part of me wishes that they would be brave enough to not relate some of the characters to the proper DC Universe. For example, Gordon get's a new partner. Cool! Oh wait, it's Bullock. Martha is an Arkham, and Cobblepot becomes the Penguin, Barbara Gordon wants to become Batgirl.
I understand why they want to use the same characters and tropes, because they are iconic and timeless as well as provide interesting juxtaposition (Alfred with a shotgun). However, I feel like by designating this Earth One they should have the freedom and creativity to really go crazy. I say that but if someone else where in the "Gordon" role I'd probably just wish it was Jim anyway. I guess by having familiar characters you can save yourself from telling a lot of backstory.
Definitely pumped for the next one, will probably pick up Superman: Earth One now.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I shouldn't have decided to read Remender's initial Secret Avenger arc. The formula laid bare... its like I can see the matrix now. I want to enjoy your work Remender like I once did, but please switch things up for Uncanny Avengers.

Owzers

I shouldn't have decided to read Remender's initial Secret Avenger arc. The formula laid bare... its like I can see the matrix now. I want to enjoy your work Remender like I once did, but please switch things up for Uncanny Avengers.

i still liked it, but it did feel like Uncanny X-Force.

Jintor

Anyone else pick up Batman: Earth One? I enjoyed it quite a bit. Gary Frank's take on the costume has a nice, homemade style to it. You can sort of see stitching on the cowl, which is a nice detail. A few characters suffer from (what I call) Frank-Face, but it's not too bad.
Part of me wishes that they would be brave enough to not relate some of the characters to the proper DC Universe. For example, Gordon get's a new partner. Cool! Oh wait, it's Bullock. Martha is an Arkham, and Cobblepot becomes the Penguin, Barbara Gordon wants to become Batgirl.
I understand why they want to use the same characters and tropes, because they are iconic and timeless as well as provide interesting juxtaposition (Alfred with a shotgun). However, I feel like by designating this Earth One they should have the freedom and creativity to really go crazy. I say that but if someone else where in the "Gordon" role I'd probably just wish it was Jim anyway. I guess by having familiar characters you can save yourself from telling a lot of backstory.
Definitely pumped for the next one, will probably pick up Superman: Earth One now.

It was pretty interesting, I especially liked the take on Alfred, a very different but still familiar interpretation.

Is this the one Helena Wayne and Power Girl come from now, or was that Earth Two? Fucking multiverse.

It was pretty interesting, I especially liked the take on Alfred, a very different but still familiar interpretation.

Is this the one Helena Wayne and Power Girl come from now, or was that Earth Two? Fucking multiverse.

The Earth One graphic novels aren't considered part of the multiverse but just stand alone stories.

Garryk

Catching up on my backlog. Just finished my May comics and WTF at the Deadpool story in UXF #25. For some reason, Deadpool has always sounded like Beetlejuice in my mind, and this story makes me feel like I've been doing it right.

FOURTHMEAL POWER!!!

Owzers

Hickman/Epting on New Avengers in January

I love Hickman, but i don't know how i feel about him writing Avengers bi-weekly AND New Avengers. It feels like the same kind of stretched out approach Bendis had with the Avengers line which i hated.

Hickman/Epting on New Avengers in January

I love Hickman, but i don't know how i feel about him writing Avengers bi-weekly AND New Avengers. It feels like the same kind of stretched out approach Bendis had with the Avengers line which i hated.

It also sounds like the approach he had with Fantastic Four and FF which was God Tier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom