• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! July |OT| - Independents Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Owzers

I should be more excited about the Detective announcement but....it's just a batman book and i already read 4 of them, not counting Batwoman.

I guess they share the same universe though? They'll probably be shoe-horned in at some point

I'm sure they'll get a "Weird Shard Panel" in some crossover some day when like Flash donkey kick's the walls of the multiverse and it all shatters and you see a bunch of other worlds.

I guess they share the same universe though? They'll probably be shoe-horned in at some point

Yeah I don't see that happening. It was created solely as a stand alone for people that know nothing about the DCU.

Chew's Layman on Detective is fuckawesome! And it's gorgeous.

Detective-Comics-13.jpg

Reading this thread makes me both sad and excited. I've been studying abroad in China so I haven't taken my weekly trips to the comic store, but I will have a mound of comics to read when i get home!

Hickman/Epting on New Avengers in January

I love Hickman, but i don't know how i feel about him writing Avengers bi-weekly AND New Avengers. It feels like the same kind of stretched out approach Bendis had with the Avengers line which i hated.

I was gonna complain until I saw the artist line-up

So there'll be three Hickman-written Avengers comics coming out every 30 days -- two issues of 'Avengers' and one issue of 'New Avengers,'" Brevoort explained. "And that's important because while Jerome Opena is launching the series and drawing the opening story, Adam Kubert will be the second artist, Dustin Weaver will be the third, and Mike Deodato will be the fourth. I'm sure as we get deeper into the series other guys will be contributing as well, but this powerhouse line-up of illustrators will take us through the first six months of the title.

You win this round, Marvel *shakes fist angrily*

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
oooh Amethyst debuts in the Justice league Dark Annual!

Mentioned it to Benjamin Birdie on Twitter, but Sword of Sorcery #0 with Amethyst debuts in September. The #1 issue should be out before the JLD annual too.

Edit: Unless both of you just mean debuting in JLD, and not in New 52.

Owzers

Ultimates #12: I don't think i liked it, kind of too crazy for its own good without being "crazy fun". I'm going to see what Humphries can do with it though.

Also read all of the Defenders vol 1 Fraction TPB......all it did was make me wish we had an Immortal Iron Fist book again thanks to issue #6. And they
just randomly killed off some Immortal Weapons? What a cheese tactic to add weight quickly.
Not impressed at all. I have issues #7-9 pre-ordered but if 7 isn't good i'll stop ordering. Doctor Strange is lame, and the whole thing with Nul felt like filler to get to the second act.

NEO0MJ

I was wondering, do I need to have good idea of the character in Nextwave: Agents of H.A.T.E. and the marvel events that happened during its release in order to enjoy it? Was about to pick it up but that kinda scares me.

I was wondering, do I need to have good idea of the character in Nextwave: Agents of H.A.T.E. and the marvel events that happened during its release in order to enjoy it? Was about to pick it up but that kinda scares me.

Nextwave is entirely new reader friendly.

Ultimates #12: I don't think i liked it, kind of too crazy for its own good without being "crazy fun". I'm going to see what Humphries can do with it though.

Also read all of the Defenders vol 1 Fraction TPB......all it did was make me wish we had an Immortal Iron Fist book again thanks to issue #6. And they
just randomly killed off some Immortal Weapons? What a cheese tactic to add weight quickly.
Not impressed at all. I have issues #7-9 pre-ordered but if 7 isn't good i'll stop ordering. Doctor Strange is lame, and the whole thing with Nul felt like filler to get to the second act.

I felt the same about the Defenders and I was super pumped about it. And as announced by Alonso, Avengers by Hickman with have at the very least five artists for the first six months. So no point in reading AvX now that we know that it is incredibly likely the ending will be more mutants on Earth. Just waiting to see what lower tier/3 dollar books will be in the lineup.

tm24

So there'll be three Hickman-written Avengers comics coming out every 30 days -- two issues of 'Avengers' and one issue of 'New Avengers,'" Brevoort explained. "And that's important because while Jerome Opena is launching the series and drawing the opening story, Adam Kubert will be the second artist, Dustin Weaver will be the third, and Mike Deodato will be the fourth. I'm sure as we get deeper into the series other guys will be contributing as well, but this powerhouse line-up of illustrators will take us through the first six months of the title.

All of my money!

Also, ima go reread manhunter now

LuCkymoON

Banned
So I'm reading Daughters of the Dragon: Deadly Hands Special (2005) #1 and I have to know; are Misty Knight and Colleen Wing supposed to be lesbians?
Misty comes off as Bi but Colleen seems totally lez.

Thai

Bane was better.
So I'm going to buy all of Morisson's Batman run.

The collections seem to be missing bits and pieces here and there. Am I wrong?

Batman : The Black Glove (deluxe edition) #655-658, 663-669, 672-675
Batman RIP #676-683
Absolute Final Crisis
Return of Bruce Wayne
Batman & Robin 1-3
Batman Inc. V1
Batman Inc. v2

Am I missing anything? And what's with all the gaps in The Black Glove...did someone else do fill-ins or what?

And what the heck is Time and the Batman? http://www.amazon.ca/dp/1401229891/

Batman RIP #676-683
Absolute Final Crisis
Return of Bruce Wayne
Batman & Robin 1-3
Batman Inc. V1
Batman Inc. v2

Am I missing anything? And what's with all the gaps in The Black Glove...did someone else do fill-ins or what?

The second of the two gaps in black glove were the 2 issues of the resurrection of ra's al ghul crossover that happened in the main bat-book and are collected in that trade. Other gap was a fill-in arc.

EDIT: and Time and the batman is the morrison-bats leftovers- issue number 700, which is a standalone thing, and "RIP the Missing Chapter" which is fills in b/t RIP ending and bruce walking in on final crisis.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise

Batman RIP #676-683
Absolute Final Crisis
Return of Bruce Wayne
Batman & Robin 1-3
Batman Inc. V1
Batman Inc. v2

The first gap is an unrelated arc by John Ostrander.

That second gap is the Batman part of The Resurrection of Ra's Al Ghul. It's a bit messy since it crossed four books and four creative teams. It's all collected if you're so inclined.

Time and the Batman is the one you're missing and would want. That's Batman #700-702. It fills in some gaps for Final Crisis and Batman RIP.

AvX #7. What I struggle with most in this is similar to civil war, I'm trying to figure out why most of the xmen are following Scott. Like all of the sudden Havok is in the fray. When did this happen? And how is this all going down and Magneto and Xavier get so little involvement in the story. I just see Magneto hovering around just letting these walking gods make all the decisions without him in the inner circle for all mutant kind? I find that hard to believe.

I've been talking about this with my buddy. We are convinced that Magneto is going to be the wild card in this conflict. He's been way too quiet, something's up.

I looked into Crossed as per you brahs reccomendations and it looks incredible, can't believe garbage like TWD is a hit instead of stuff like this.

Owzers

I looked into Crossed as per you brahs reccomendations and it looks incredible, can't believe garbage like TWD is a hit instead of stuff like this.

Crossed was too extreme for me, i like the slow, nap inducing TWD pace. Get's me ready to watch a chunk of MSNBC and dust the apartment.

Thai

Bane was better.
The second of the two gaps in black glove were the 2 issues of the resurrection of ra's al ghul crossover that happened in the main bat-book and are collected in that trade. Other gap was a fill-in arc.

EDIT: and Time and the batman is the morrison-bats leftovers- issue number 700, which is a standalone thing, and "RIP the Missing Chapter" which is fills in b/t RIP ending and bruce walking in on final crisis.

seriously? that's such a disaster of a collection. especially the missing chapter stuff. Maybe they'll reissue the Hardcovers...

DC needs to get their shit together.

Batman RIP #676-683
Absolute Final Crisis
Return of Bruce Wayne
Batman & Robin 1-3
Batman Inc. V1
Batman Inc. v2

I'm not sure if you really need to get the Absolute Edition of Final Crisis, it seems like you're dropping a good amount of coin on all this anyways, you may just wanna get the regular hardcover or just the trade paperback. But hey, it's your money

Mifune

Mehmber

Batman RIP #676-683
Absolute Final Crisis
Return of Bruce Wayne
Batman & Robin 1-3
Batman Inc. V1
Batman Inc. v2

Oh damn, I did the same thing via Comixology. Read the entire run in like two weeks. So much fun. You're in for a treat.

NawidA

Banned

Batman RIP #676-683
Absolute Final Crisis
Return of Bruce Wayne
Batman & Robin 1-3
Batman Inc. V1
Batman Inc. v2

Alright here is the list of everything you need to buy (in reading order):
Batman: The Black Glove (the newest deluxe edition as only that one contains the Batman and Son stuff, link).
Batman RIP
Final Crisis (really only issues like #2 and 5 and you certainly don't need the Absolute version, just grab the regular trade, it's a great story)
Time and the Batman (this fills in some Final Crisis and RIP gaps)
Return of Bruce Wayne
Batman and Robin Vol 1-3 (actually you should probably read Return halfway through the second volume)
Batman Inc (the one hardcover that is out)
Batman Inc (the two most recent issues)

I think Time and the Batman and Return are a little weak but Batman and Robin is really great Morrison (excluding the arc with the bad Tan art). And Final Crisis (in trade form) is my favorite event book ever.

JJD

I don't like it.

I mean, those 4 guys are awesome artists, and I love then but 4 artists in 6 months?

There will be no consistency in the art. The best approach is one artist for each arc/story. I don't care if they make it only 3 issues, but one new guy every other month is not the best approach IMO.

Sneak peek at UA cover:

Uncanny-Avengers_810.jpg

Lombaszko

Batman RIP #676-683
Absolute Final Crisis
Return of Bruce Wayne
Batman & Robin 1-3
Batman Inc. V1
Batman Inc. v2

Like Dan said, The Resurrection of Ra's Al Ghul has two issues written by Morrison. Also, unless you only want TPBs, the first two issues of the recent run of Batman Inc have just come out so you can jump on that if you want.

Tizoc

People hatin' on Deadpool gonna get a lifebar in the face.
...I miss Deadpool =/

A little late but FF #19 was superb, I'm gonna miss Hickman on this series.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
That Uncanny Avengers cover is terrible. Between this and yesterday's appalling new Marvel vs Capcom Origins artwork, what I wouldnt give for more Marvel covers and art by the Capcom peeps of old (Bengus/CRMK or Shinkiro, and co):
032.jpg

tumblr_m1d3yb56Ua1qfyj8po1_500.jpg

Waaaaaaaaaaaay too much terrible art in and on the front of cape books these days.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
So I'm reading Daughters of the Dragon: Deadly Hands Special (2005) #1 and I have to know; are Misty Knight and Colleen Wing supposed to be lesbians?
Misty comes off as Bi but Colleen seems totally lez.

I don't think so. I think they're officially just best friends, and Misty was deeply in love with Iron Fist the last time I checked.

Though they did kinda joke about it that one time:

jbeEZDuaF0kFIr.jpg

That Uncanny Avengers cover is terrible. Between this and yesterday's appalling new Marvel vs Capcom Origins artwork, what I wouldnt give for more Marvel covers and art by the Capcom peeps of old (Bengus/CRMK or Shinkiro, and co):
032.jpg

tumblr_m1d3yb56Ua1qfyj8po1_500.jpg

Waaaaaaaaaaaay too much terrible art in and on the front of cape books these days.

Let me guess, Crapcom let those Canadian hacks at Udung loose again? :\

Marvel's comic are being ruined by artists artists. Being able to draw a realistic figure in realistic looking superhero costumes is not visually exciting. Steve Epting and Gabriel Hardman are technically good illustrators, but I'll be god damned if they get any of my money. Shit is so boring to look at.

Let me guess, Crapcom let those Canadian hacks at Udung loose again? :\

Marvel's comic are being ruined by artists artists. Being able to draw a realistic figure in realistic looking superhero costumes is not visually exciting. Steve Epting and Gabriel Hardman are technically good illustrators, but I'll be god damned if they get any of my money. Shit is so boring to look at.

Yes. That style of drawing is so visually uninteresting.

wSA7n.jpg

Hang on, my monitor just exploded, so I'm typing blind.

(I'd assume you're lumping Breitweiser in there, so I picked him.)

Thai

Bane was better.
Alright here is the list of everything you need to buy (in reading order):
Batman: The Black Glove (the newest deluxe edition as only that one contains the Batman and Son stuff, link).
Batman RIP
Final Crisis (really only issues like #2 and 5 and you certainly don't need the Absolute version, just grab the regular trade, it's a great story)
Time and the Batman (this fills in some Final Crisis and RIP gaps)
Return of Bruce Wayne
Batman and Robin Vol 1-3 (actually you should probably read Return halfway through the second volume)
Batman Inc (the one hardcover that is out)
Batman Inc (the two most recent issues)

I think Time and the Batman and Return are a little weak but Batman and Robin is really great Morrison (excluding the arc with the bad Tan art). And Final Crisis (in trade form) is my favorite event book ever.

hmmm.......that makes me want to maybe wait for a re-issue of RIP with the gaps filled in. I mention Absolute Final Crisis specifically because it includes Batman #682-683 and is Morisson's recommended "reading order".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom