• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2014. Truly, there is no shame in continuing to read awful comics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Splatt

I like Ramos, too. IDK, seems kinda like complaining about Frank Quitely or Jack Kirby faces in the face of(lol) all their other extraordinary artistic qualities.

I don't want to blaspheme against GOD but almost all of his faces have that constipated look similiar to the one Max Payne was sporting in his 1st game
KuGsj.gif

tumblr_mt5319HGPH1snut2uo1_250.gif

Speaking of shit faces

iBokmsjsxmp4k.gif

tm24

Comixolog has the entire Ultimate Spiderman catalog(Ultimae spiderman/ultimate comics spirderman + miniseries) available for 99 bucks. Should I bite? I've only read the first 3 TPB volume of ultimate comics spiderman, so I would be overlapping on 18 of 199 comics.

Do it. The only ok part is about issues 60-75 before we get the Ultimate Clone Saga and then the whole thing just keeps going

Who's still reading Avengers World? Issue #4 was alright but i'm losing interest in the book. The last two issues settled down from the fast paced jumping around between world crises, but in doing so they lost their adventurey feel and issue #4 in particular wasn't strong enough without it. Arbitrary 6/10.
I really liked 3, but thats because Shang-Chi and Gorgon are pretty great. I enjoyed 4 if only because it had Druid in it. Basically, if this book continues to be the Avengers find out how crazy Secret Warriors was, i will continue buying this book.

zeeaykay

They sold out of Peter Panzerfaust HC after I ordered on IST, and said I could replace it with something else. I was thinking of looking into Sleeper, RASL, Fatale or ECHO as a replacement... any thoughts? I'm typically into more philosophical or character driven books.

Really loved Criminal, Blankets, Habibi, Planetary (so far), Asterios Polyp, Amermican Vampire, The Unwritten, Daytriper, Locke and Key (after 2 volumes) etc... Any other suggestions?

Splatt

They sold out of Peter Panzerfaust HC after I ordered on IST, and said I could replace it with something else. I was thinking of looking into Sleeper, RASL, Fatale or ECHO as a replacement... any thoughts? I'm typically into more philosophical or character driven books.

Really loved Criminal, Blankets, Habibi, Planetary (so far), Asterios Polyp, Daytriper, Locke and Key (after 2 volumes) etc... Any other suggestions?

If you loved Criminal I'd suggest one of Brubaker's more underrated series

sleeper.jpg

Well. yeah. but you have some crazy person on this very page saying they'd have Land over Ramos. Crazy.

Yeah well, some people here love some truly shit comics, so nothing really shocks me. We're talking about a man who seems to possess no shortage of lazy storytelling.

Why are all four of these panels widescreen, despite having four different types of content to portray? Is that really the best choice? Why is Colossus suddenly about as tall as Juggernaut when in the first panel he seemed much smaller?

Again, why do four panels exactly the fuckin' same for so little effect with no regard to what you're actually trying to display to the reader? Why all the dead space? Panel 2 is largely given to Juggernaut's shoulder, and why? What is even happening in the third panel, was there really no other way for you to compose this scene? You have an entire fuckin' page here.

Exactly why is this scene staged the way it is? Why is the mayor's first course of action to look as cheesecakey as possible, clutching her dress like a small child and displaying her cleavage like a magazine model? Of all the possible angles, why the prominence of her bust in the second panel instead of perhaps her face or any other possible bit of telling body language. What is Cyclops even DOING in these things, placed haphazardly as if pasted on like a MAD magazine skit?

And yet all the internet criticism seems to conjure up is "lol his faces are teh traced" or "lol look at those FACES" or "all women shouldn't be that pretty!". Yes, that is the way to frame this argument, well fuckin' done, everyone.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face

I actually did enjoy his Batman art too. I was trying to be tongue in cheek :p
Ah! Then please keep your mouth open for good things come out of it. Walt is passionate abiut comics and Batman and always gotta respect passion. Also, TESD is the best.

Exactly why is this scene staged the way it is? Why is the mayor's first course of action to look as cheesecakey as possible, clutching her dress like a small child and displaying her cleavage like a magazine model? Of all the possible angles, why the prominence of her bust in the second panel instead of perhaps her face or any other possible bit of telling body language.

Because that's the kind of mayor I'd like to bang. Remember, first and foremost, comics are a fantasy. Even if it reinforces a negative stereotype, they're just drawing what sells. And this is easier on the eyes than pre-New 52 Amanda Waller. Even if it is less realistic.

Splatt

Again, why do four panels exactly the fuckin' same for so little effect with no regard to what you're actually trying to display to the reader? Why all the dead space? Panel 2 is largely given to Juggernaut's shoulder, and why? What is even happening in the third panel, was there really no other way for you to compose this scene? You have an entire fuckin' page here.

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

Juggernaut's head in the 4th panel looks like a mashed potato
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

So aquaman and the others is a futures end prelude

A "FUTURES END" prelude! Spinning out of AQUAMAN, the King of Atlantis and his teammates find themselves targeted by an unknown foe that wants their Atlantean artifacts! Don't miss the start of this all-new series!

Not really interested now

zeeaykay

If you loved Criminal I'd suggest one of Brubaker's more underrated series

That's what I'm currently leaning towards.

Also, what's the deal with Hellboy? I'm completely ignorant of it, other than seeing the movies and knowing it has a huge following with really nice library editions.

I've thought about jumping in, but have a hard time committing to it unless it's really worth it and is doing something not done better somewhere else.

That's what I'm currently leaning towards.

Also, what's the deal with Hellboy? I'm completely ignorant of it, other than seeing the movies and knowing it has a huge following with really nice library editions.

I've thought about jumping in, but have a hard time committing to it unless it's really worth it and is doing something not done better somewhere else.

No one does what Hellboy and BPRD and Lobster Johnson and Abe Sapien do better than how they do it.

They are unquestionably the most consistently excellent series of comics in the history of the medium.

fauxtrot

Banned
No one does what Hellboy and BPRD and Lobster Johnson and Abe Sapien do better than how they do it.

They are unquestionably the most consistently excellent series of comics in the history of the medium.

zee: If you like occult/horror/good comics, do yourself a favor and listen to this man.

zeeaykay

zee: If you like occult/horror/good comics, do yourself a favor and listen to this man.
Alright, alright! What's funny is when I started reading comics over a year ago I was worried I'd read all the "good stuff" like watchmen and sandman and not have much else of quality to read. I have high standards, and I'm surprised to find myself only lacking for time and money instead of comics to read.

Anyone experience anything similar?

Vibranium

Banned
If there's one good thing that can come out of this Fantastic 4 reboot (which I hope under-performs to Fox's expectations, whatever sum of money that is) it's a potential Doctor Doom solo book. Come on Alonso, he may not be in the MCU but you can make it happen brah.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom