• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2013. The only time of year when everyone envies Bobby Drake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh man. whoever said New Avengers was off the hook re: marvel infinity, they weren't kidding. that issue was goddamn amazing.

more of this.

Messi

Read the first three issues of Hush. The art is beautiful and I love how many great characters are in this. Hope the rest is good.

Thai

Bane was better.
man, azzarello's wonder woman is just completely its own thing. I don't know what to do with it, except love it.

They probably need a 'superhero' wonder woman comic though.

20101222-1.png

Stare into the crotch of Darkseid

What is this from?

Are any of the GI Joe comics worth a damn, current or otherwise? Been thinking how cool some snake eyes and storm shadow in comic form would probably be.

the current mainline GI Joe series was alright fun. Storm Shadow isn't in it and i actually don't remember if Snake Eyes is (I only read the first 5 issues in singles), but i don't think he is

ElNarez

Banned
That means lots of love for Young Avengers, which i very much support

I think I'm pretty much done with the text portion of the OP and I do not mention YA once, but there are REASONS for that. Sorry.

(btw, would you be fine with an OP without all the nice covers? because that means I can get it done today)

ElNarez

Banned
Well I mean it's a known quantity. Yeah, YA rules. No one needs me to repeat it, I mean, come on, right? It's just common sense, I mean.

So after reading Batman Hush (which is totally awesome and everyone should read it), I'm trying to get into Nightwing, and I've heard that volume two is a good place to start which is from 1996-2009. However the lettering is kind of off putting(at least in the earlier issues). Was wondering what you guys think of the New 52 for Nightwing? And what you guys think of Volume 2.

Nu52 Nightwing and Morrison's run features the best Batman a.k.a. Dick Grayson for a few issues. Read that and fall in love with DAT DICK.

EDIT: My favorite villain has always been Two-Face.

Really, Lobdell? You just wrote out two of the more interesting Teen Titans? I hope the rumors of a new team are true and they shift there, because this was really lame; the equivalent of, "HEY I GOT THIS THING GOTTA GO BYE."

People in question:
Bunker and Beast Boy

ReiGun

I really wish I could get into Teen Titans because they're my favorite super team, but I just cannot stand Lobdell's writing.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Really, Lobdell? You just wrote out two of the more interesting Teen Titans? I hope the rumors of a new team are true and they shift there, because this was really lame; the equivalent of, "HEY I GOT THIS THING GOTTA GO BYE."

People in question:
Bunker and Beast Boy

Christ, sounds like making the book boring wasn't enough for him. God help his Superman run. I can only imagine the damage he'll do...

Christ, sounds like making the book boring wasn't enough for him. God help his Superman run. I can only imagine the damage he'll do...

I really wish I could get into Teen Titans because they're my favorite super team, but I just cannot stand Lobdell's writing.

Yeah I don't know why I'm still getting it. Part of it had been the tie-ins; first Legion Lost and then Ravagers, but I thought Bunker was one of the new characters that actually succeeded in my eyes. Lobdell managed to write him without either throwing that he was gay in your face or completely ignoring it.

Watching videos with Lobdell speaking have done the most harm, though, of my enjoyment. He has one of the personalities that makes you want to just shout at him to shut up. That he is continuing a joke well past it being funny and I'm now seeing that in his writing.

I do love all the random love drama he seems to like writing into the book, however.

Mario007

I'm looking to get into comics but I tend to enjoy the more grounded stuff like the adaptations by Nolan, the Arrow series, Man of Steel or even the first Ironman movie. Are there any comics that tend to keep this sort of a feel?

kmfdmpig

I'm looking to get into comics but I tend to enjoy the more grounded stuff like the adaptations by Nolan, the Arrow series, Man of Steel or even the first Ironman movie. Are there any comics that tend to keep this sort of a feel?

Gotham Central is a grounded cop series with Batman here and there.
Hawkeye is fairly grounded, although also light-hearted and fun.
Irredeemable might be worth a shot.

It sounds to me that based on the examples you like stories focused on just one or two characters instead of a ton of superheroes/villains.

Mario007

Gotham Central is a grounded cop series with Batman here and there.
Hawkeye is fairly grounded, although also light-hearted and fun.
Irredeemable might be worth a shot.

It sounds to me that based on the examples you like stories focused on just one or two characters instead of a ton of superheroes/villains.
Yeah that would be the right way of putting it. And villains that feel believable, I guess. I''ll check those three out, thanks!

Splatt

Ed Brubaker's first run on Captain America, Warren Ellis's Iron Man and his 6 issue run on Secret Avengers.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
I've been catching up on the Ultimate universe thanks to Marvel Unlimited-and Miles Morales is awesome. Such a great book.

I've been thinking of doing the same, myself. Figuring out what to read on Marvel Unlimited has been pretty fun. I really enjoyed Astonishing X-Men and Ultimates 1 and 2.

Has there even been a great Iron Man run? The current book didn't capture my attention.

Kikarian

I can't be the only one who picked up Itty Bitty Hellboy this week right?
I was going to but decided not. I may get it another day.

Pandora looks like such a good character to find out about her story. Shame she only features in The Flash and Justice League comics.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Are any of the GI Joe comics worth a damn, current or otherwise? Been thinking how cool some snake eyes and storm shadow in comic form would probably be.

Where do you know the characters from?
The Marvel series was definitive. I'd skip the first twenty issues, but it's mostly pretty great stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom