• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2013. The only time of year when everyone envies Bobby Drake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The toughest thing about getting into comics for me so far has been that I want to read everything every week by the big two (except Morbius and Katana). I can barely afford it but I feel like I am missing out if I don't read everything, especially with all the frequent cross overs and interactions. I just feel bad when I pick up yet another Superior Spiderman spin off instead of issue 1 of some new indie.

That's exactly what they want. To guilt-trip you into buying all of it to "fully enjoy" the stories.

The fact of the matter is that a lot of it is shit. And not everything is for everyone. Best bet is to pick up anything that looks interesting for the first few weeks / month, then you'll be able to zero in on your specific tastes from there. You'll also find that you enjoy certain writers, while others leave a bad taste in your mouth.

The toughest thing about getting into comics for me so far has been that I want to read everything every week by the big two (except Morbius and Katana). I can barely afford it but I feel like I am missing out if I don't read everything, especially with all the frequent cross overs and interactions. I just feel bad when I pick up yet another Superior Spiderman spin off instead of issue 1 of some new indie.

Yeah, that's the rub. Indie comics are better and more interesting in general, for me personally. But to pick them up, I gotta make some tough choices. If I could, I'd read most of the stuff on the shelves. But since I have to choose, I'd rather read what interests me most, and that's mainly indie comics. The saddest part is I kind of miss out on the community part of talking about comics as people generally talk about the big two comics from week to week. So it's just a matter of what matters more to you and gives you the most joy from participating in the hobby.

Owzers

That's exactly what they want. To guilt-trip you into buying all of it to "fully enjoy" the stories.

The fact of the matter is that a lot of it is shit. And not everything is for everyone. Best bet is to pick up anything that looks interesting for the first few weeks / month, then you'll be able to zero in on your specific tastes from there. You'll also find that you enjoy certain writers, while others leave a bad taste in your mouth.

I want to read Green Lantern but i'm sick of it being stuck in never ending crossovers. I can't let the bad guys win.

kswiston

I have no idea what I am going to pick up next week. I only see 3 Marvel books on my list, so maybe I will grab those, and Forever Evil #1. When some impressions of those Villain's month books come out, I may go back and grab the ones that were well reviewed.

Kikarian

You got it. In fact Bushman was Moon Knight's first villain and I'm pretty sure has been in every Moon Knight series.
Hmm, strange he doesn't appear in the one I read. It's mainly Snapdragon and Count Nefaria.

I'm sorry for the constants questions, I'll try and make this my last. But I seem to not know where to find when comics are being released. So for example, I don't know where to look for the comics that are being released next week. Thanks in advance!

Vibranium

Banned
I'm a little late to the party, but Thor God of Thunder #12 was indeed amazing, and felt like a breath of fresh air coming out of the Gorr arcs. Someone get Nic Klein on a Marvel book permanently stat, he nailed it, I think his style fits Thor even better than Winter Soldier, though that probably has to do with the difference in colour. Seeing Thor do great things even in the face of tragedy is what I want to see.

I hope we get more Sif after #13, I'm ok with Thor being a romantic player with the SHIELD agent and Rogue, but I want to see the two of them working together more.

tim1138

Acid08

Banned
Six Gun Gorilla

UM, HELLO EVERYONE? Read this fucking book. The art is incredible, the dialogue is natural, and the world just breathes with life. In only three issues it has intrigued and grabbed me more than any book has in a really long time. The last time a comic clicked so perfectly right away was Chew. This is special stuff.

Six Gun Gorilla

UM, HELLO EVERYONE? Read this fucking book. The art is incredible, the dialogue is natural, and the world just breathes with life. In only three issues it has intrigued and grabbed me more than any book has in a really long time. The last time a comic clicked so perfectly right away was Chew. This is special stuff.

Yyyuuuuuup!

Owzers

i will definitely get Six Gun Gorilla either through a comixology sale or from the trade, the good reviews have gotten to me.

arkon

Honestly, Simon Spurrier is my new favourite writer. Six Gun Gorilla has been awesome and he's working wonders on X-Men Legacy.

Honestly, Simon Spurrier is my new favourite writer. Six Gun Gorilla has been awesome and he's working wonders on X-Men Legacy.

Yeah, and I hear good things about his Numbercruncher title, too.

Y'all see the most recent preview for Sex Criminals? It's a bit different than the last one, I think?

I still just don't know with this book. I like sexy stuff in comics, but I haven't enjoyed the (admittedly limited) work I've read from Fraction. It'll might just come down to how many books I'm pulling the week the first issue is released.

Acid08

Banned
Fraction loves him some sexy time comics lately.

I always appreciate the way Brandom Graham works sex into his comics. It's not as "LOOK AT THIS SHIT BEING SEEEEEEEEXY" as Fraction is.

Hmm, strange he doesn't appear in the one I read. It's mainly Snapdragon and Count Nefaria.

I'm sorry for the constants questions, I'll try and make this my last. But I seem to not know where to find when comics are being released. So for example, I don't know where to look for the comics that are being released next week. Thanks in advance!
I assume from the storyline you're talking about you're reading the most recent Moon Knight series. Comic books get rebooted all of the time and start over from issue one. This:
1408617-18602_3052_20803_1_moon_knight_super.jpeg
is the first Moon Knight #1. It is broken down by Volume, Volume 1 is from 1980 (If you like the character this series is also worth checking out, it's pretty good.) What you're reading now is probably Moon Knight Volume 3, and in between of course is Moon Knight Volume 2 from the mid 2000's. There are also other Moon Knight series like Vengeance of Moon Knight and Marc Spector: Moon Knight.

It all really depends on how deeply you want to delve into a characters backstory. If a comic book is well written it should get it's point across, be an entertaining story and give you a sense of the character without the necessity of having to go back and read all of this just so you can understand it. It's really all up to you to decide how much Moon Knight you want to read.

As far as new releases Diamond Comics puts up previews of new releases every week.

I haven't collected my comics and I'm jonesing so bad. It's the first week in months that I haven't at least had the chance to fondle my comics mid-week. I'll keep working on my unread collections but it's not the same, dammit!

Good thing is that I've heard a bunch of stuff that people have been saying about their recent purchases and when I finally score tomorrow I'm thinking of trying out Thunderbolts and Red Lanterns. I like Red She-Hulk and I like kitties. And I'm DEF picking up Young Avengers after I heard about a character being bisexual. Hopefully that's not a spoiler?

I am totally fascinated by the representation of LGBTI characters in comic books. If you ever come across a lesbian, bisexual or trangendered character in your monthly reading, and you happen to remember, please let me know. Or if you've read a particularly memorable story involving any such character, my inbox is always open.

Kikarian

I assume from the storyline you're talking about you're reading the most recent Moon Knight series. Comic books get rebooted all of the time and start over from issue one. This:

is the first Moon Knight #1. It is broken down by Volume, Volume 1 is from 1980 (If you like the character this series is also worth checking out, it's pretty good.) What you're reading now is probably Moon Knight Volume 3, and in between of course is Moon Knight Volume 2 from the mid 2000's. There are also other Moon Knight series like Vengeance of Moon Knight and Marc Spector: Moon Knight.

It all really depends on how deeply you want to delve into a characters backstory. If a comic book is well written it should get it's point across, be an entertaining story and give you a sense of the character without the necessity of having to go back and read all of this just so you can understand it. It's really all up to you to decide how much Moon Knight you want to read.

As far as new releases Diamond Comics puts up previews of new releases every week.
WOW! Thanks a lot! I'll definitely be checking out volume 1 & 2. I didn't know it worked like that. I really like the design and story of Moon Knight, so I'll definitely want to read more about him and become more aware of his story.

Once again, thanks a lot! I really appreciate it!

YA has had an openly gay couple for a while now. I think it may have been one of the first?

I didn't know that. That's cool.

I knew about Babs' roommate and I love that Simone created that character. Characters that are trans-identified are so uncommon. I would definitely check out the book if and when I heard that Alysia played a key role in a story, so that I could see her fleshed out. I don't know what takes place in the book, but I'm imagining that she's just a small fringe part of it?

And, yeah, that is cool about North Star and stuff. I was happy when I heard about it.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I didn't know that. That's cool.

I knew about Babs' roommate and I love that Simone created that character. Characters that are trans-identified are so uncommon. I would definitely check out the book if and when I heard that Alysia played a key role in a story, so that I could see her fleshed out. I don't know what takes place in the book, but I'm imagining that she's just a small fringe part of it?

And, yeah, that is cool about North Star and stuff. I was happy when I heard about it. But I'm not too interested in seeking out stories featuring gay male characters, whereas I'd pretty much check out anything that featured a gay, bisexual or trans female character.

Well she had gone out on a few dates with
James Gordon Jr (of The Black Mirror fame)
. But that's about it so far.

Yes, she is a small part. Mostly it has been the character that Barbara has been unwinding with. Doing normal stuff like shopping, watching movies, etc. Her being transgendered hasn't even really been an issue after she revealed it. It's being played completely under the radar.

The Movement has two characters that are giving off lesbian undertones.
But it hasn't been overtly stated. But it's pretty obvious.

tim1138

More proof that no one is reading Vibe. One of the main characters (Agent Gunn of ARGUS) is not only openly gay but happily married as well. In Morrison's Seven Soldiers (and Demon Knights as well) wasn't Sir Ystin the Shining Knight trans?

More proof that no one is reading Vibe. One of the main characters (Agent Gunn of ARGUS) is not only openly gay but happily married as well. In Morrison's Seven Soldiers (and Demon Knights as well) wasn't Sir Ystin the Shining Knight trans?

Yes.

And I am obviously reading Vibe, but I admit I didn't even think about it. Yeah there was that one scene but they've done a pretty good job of playing it normal to the point that I wasn't even thinking about it.

WOW! Thanks a lot! I'll definitely be checking out volume 1 & 2. I didn't know it worked like that. I really like the design and story of Moon Knight, so I'll definitely want to read more about him and become more aware of his story.

Once again, thanks a lot! I really appreciate it!
Anytime man. I love comics and want to get as many people interested as I possibly can. I know how overwhelming it can be when you first get into it, but I assure you the more you read the easier it is to understand how everything works. Always feel free to come in here and ask questions.

Hmmm, sounds good re: Alysia's introduction to the Batgirl title, so far, anyway. And though she hasn't been featured in a big way, I would reckon that it's kind of inevitable she'll eventually figure into something bigger. Maybe I should hop on this book. It would just requiring me to get over the issue I have with grown female characters with "girl" in their name.

Oh god, what have I done. Just when I got my pull list down to a respectable size. Oh well, bring on my gay stories!

The Movement, okay, I need to get on that book, shit. And this Sir Ystin character looks amazing.

I love you guys.

witness

Just read the 3 issues of Batman/Superman and wow, they really are great. Just the kind of books I was hoping for. The art is just beautiful as well. Now onto Superman Unchained...

No mention of Batwoman? Kate herself is a lesbian and
is currently engaged to Maggie Sawyer

It was probably so obvious that no one thought to mention her. But yeah, Kate Kane is my hero. I don't really care for her with Maggie, however. Nu52 Maggie is boring. I preferred the boss detective version of her from Gotham Central. And, besides that, no one could match as well with Kate as Renee. But with Renee dead (FU DC) I would honestly rather Kate not get serious with anyone and just date around and stuff. She's more interesting single. Kinda like her male counterpart.

It was probably so obvious that no one thought to mention her. But yeah, Kate Kane is my hero. I don't really care for her with Maggie, however. Nu52 Maggie is boring. I preferred the boss detective version of her from Gotham Central. And, besides that, no one could match as well with Kate as Renee. But with Renee dead (FU DC) I would honestly rather Kate not get serious with anyone and just date around and stuff. She's more interesting single. Kinda like her male counterpart.

Renee isn't dead. The only time you see anything is her picture on a Wall of Honor. Her actual status is "Exists / Current Situation Unknown".

Renee isn't dead. The only time you see anything is her picture on a Wall of Honor. Her actual status is "Exists / Current Situation Unknown".

That's an actual thing? Ok, ok. I think we've had this conversation before. But, again, I don't see why they would have had a photo of her in uniform on the wall of the police station unless she was a fallen cop. But, sure, ok! I'd be happy to see her back. Though I worry about how she'd be written after the changes they made to bore up Maggie.

Nudull

Banned

Funny thing is, one of the reasons why this is my favorite Batbook is how relatively stable Kate's relationships have been, and especially when you compare her to Bruce. It's always refreshing to see a couple from the N52 that hasn't been shoehorned or retconned out.

Acid08

Banned
Funny thing is, one of the reason why this is my favorite Batbook is how relatively stable Kate's relationships have been, and especially when you compare her to Bruce. It's always refreshing to see a couple from the N52 that hasn't been shoehorned or retconned out.
Is this where we talk about how boring Superman/Wonder Woman are?

Funny thing is, one of the reason why this is my favorite Batbook is how relatively stable Kate's relationships have been, and especially when you compare her to Bruce. It's always refreshing to see a couple from the N52 that hasn't been shoehorned or retconned out.

Fair enough. And I'm glad you enjoy the title, as I do. I would just like to see more female characters that date around and are still "good." You know? When female characters do that they are usually a villainess that flirts and sexes around and manipulates with their body. It would be nice to see a female character be a little playful with her dating life and still be a good guy. Girl. A good woman. You know what I mean. Not considered nasty or naughty.

It's one of the things I like about that indie title Mercy Sparx. Although she's actually a demon I think. But she works for the good guys! And she has sex when she wants with whomever she wants and doesn't feel she owes anyone shit.

Machine

Vibe is currently being written by Sterling Gates. Dude is a very good writer but DC keeps giving him shit assignments (Hawk & Dove???). DC should move him to a higher profile title or they probably risk losing him.

Nudull

Banned
Fair enough. And I'm glad you enjoy the title, as I do. I would just like to see more female characters that date around and are still "good." You know? When female characters do that they are usually a villainess that flirts and sexes around and manipulates with their body. It would be nice to see a female character be a little playful with her dating life and still be a good guy. Girl. A good woman. You know what I mean. Not considered nasty or naughty.

It's one of the things I like about that indie title Mercy Sparx. Although she's actually a demon I think. But she works for the good guys! And she has sex when she wants with whomever she wants and doesn't feel she owes anyone shit.

I see your point, and I certainly agree. :)
Also, I'm getting somewhat curious about Mercy Sparx. I'll probably get around to trying it, soon.

frye

Cap was good but it does that thing Remender likes where it feels like he's already moved on to the next arc - which I'm sure will rule and all, but I wish it had the finality that Thor's long-ass storyline had (speaking of, Thor changed gears completely this issue and pulled it off really really well)

One more Uncanny Avengers thought:
so Sentry chilling in the sun this whole time is totally an All Star Superman/DC One Million callback right?? and the Void is chilling in the White Hot Room...

Morrison haunts mahvel....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom