• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2013. The only time of year when everyone envies Bobby Drake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sajjaja

So after reading Batman Hush (which is totally awesome and everyone should read it), I'm trying to get into Nightwing, and I've heard that volume two is a good place to start which is from 1996-2009. However the lettering is kind of off putting(at least in the earlier issues). Was wondering what you guys think of the New 52 for Nightwing? And what you guys think of Volume 2.

I dug the first Batgirl arc because i was really new to comics but then i didn't care for the two arcs after it so i dropped it. The trans character news interested me again but then i saw how they revealed it and figured that that was a pretty weak way to do it, so I didn't get back into it. And it has never gotten a artist that's better than "okay-ish," as far as i know

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
So after reading Batman Hush (which is totally awesome and everyone should read it), I'm trying to get into Nightwing, and I've heard that volume two is a good place to start which is from 1996-2009. However the lettering is kind of off putting(at least in the earlier issues). Was wondering what you guys think of the New 52 for Nightwing? And what you guys think of Volume 2.

New 52 Nightwing is very solid. Keep in mind Dick Grayson was also Batman for a while, so if you're into the character then pick some of those books up as well.

Sajjaja

New 52 Nightwing is very solid. Keep in mind Dick Grayson was also Batman for a while, so if you're into the character then pick some of those books up as well.

So it would be good to start up from the new 52? Or should I just power through volume 2? And does he become Batman in volume 2 or is that another miniseries or something.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
So it would be good to start up from the new 52? Or should I just power through volume 2? And does he become Batman in volume 2 or is that another miniseries or something.

You can start at the New52. He's Batman for a bit during Morrison's run and Snyder has an excellent trade of him as the Bat as well (both just before the New52 started but after volume 2). Dick is the only character who could take up that mantle and have absolutely no one complain about it.

Sajjaja

You can start at the New52. He's Batman for a bit during Morrison's run and Snyder has an excellent trade of him as the Bat as well (both just before the New52 started but after volume 2). Dick is the only character who could take up that mantle and have absolutely no one complain about it.
Thanks. I'll check out the New 52 soon. I decided to give volume two a shot because the story is getting a bit interesting and the lettering seems to be getting better, but I realize I don't like Scott McDaniel's art in this so far. Seems a little off to me, close but not on the money for the atmosphere I'm feeling.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I haven't collected my comics and I'm jonesing so bad. It's the first week in months that I haven't at least had the chance to fondle my comics mid-week. I'll keep working on my unread collections but it's not the same, dammit!

Good thing is that I've heard a bunch of stuff that people have been saying about their recent purchases and when I finally score tomorrow I'm thinking of trying out Thunderbolts and Red Lanterns. I like Red She-Hulk and I like kitties. And I'm DEF picking up Young Avengers after I heard about a character being bisexual. Hopefully that's not a spoiler?

I am totally fascinated by the representation of LGBTI characters in comic books. If you ever come across a lesbian, bisexual or trangendered character in your monthly reading, and you happen to remember, please let me know. Or if you've read a particularly memorable story involving any such character, my inbox is always open.

Have you ever read the 2000s Manhunter from DC? Very gay freindly book with gay supporting cast members and written by a Known Homosexual as well. Brilliant book.

Harper Row's brother in Snyder's Batman in gay too.

Top Ten by Alan Moore has some well done gay characters too (including a long term/married couple, and that was in the early 2000s).

And then there's indie books too, like Alison Bechdel's work in Fun Home, or Judd Winick's woefully underlooked Pedro and Me, or Stuck Rubber Baby (I think that's what it's called, it's on my want-list).

Not forgetting Earth 2 Alan Scott too.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

The lettering? You mean the awesome 90s letters of John Costanza? gtfo man, that dude was the bomb. EDIT: I'm kinda disturbed that I knew that off the bat, but I have been reading No Man's Land recently and he did a bunch of that too. Better that Willie Schubert IMO.

IMO 90s Nightwing is about 200% better than nu52. Scott McDaniel back when he was actually interesting, great kinetic fight scenes, a good through line of subplots. Chuck Dixon's finest hour.

I am totally fascinated by the representation of LGBTI characters in comic books. If you ever come across a lesbian, bisexual or trangendered character in your monthly reading, and you happen to remember, please let me know. Or if you've read a particularly memorable story involving any such character, my inbox is always open.

There's also a married homosexual couple in Scarlet Spider's supporting cast.
If we continue with completed series, Runaways has a lesbian and a (sort of) trans one. Also avengers academy had a bi girl and a gay boy as students.

X-Factor has Rictor and Shatterstar.

Tizoc

Transformers: More than meets the eye #20
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU~!
WHY DO I GOTTA WAIT ANOTHER MONTH FOR THIS?!?!?!?

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU~!

Yeah that was exactly my reaction too ;)

Hopefully Rodimus will step up now.

Mindwipe

Not the best issue though, it was a bit exposition heavy and written for trade.

Also, speculation:

There are Quintessons behind the portal.

Wow, so many recommendations to check out for LGBTQ characters. Thanks y'all.

Jedeye Sniv, I will definitely be putting volume 3 of Manhunter of my list of things to get, along with some of the other books you mentioned. I own Stuck Rubber Baby, but have yet to read it. Looks nice though. And I was happy when I tracked down such a classic at sale price. I've read all of Alison Bechdel's Dykes to Watch Out For but have stayed away from her autobiographical work, though I've heard good things, particularly about Fun Home.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Wow, so many recommendations to check out for LGBTQ characters. Thanks y'all.

Jedeye Sniv, I will definitely be putting volume 3 of Manhunter of my list of things to get, along with some of the other books you mentioned. I own Stuck Rubber Baby, but have yet to read it. Looks nice though. And I was happy when I tracked down such a classic at sale price. I've read all of Alison Bechdel's Dykes to Watch Out For but have stayed away from her autobiographical work, though I've heard good things, particularly about Fun Home.

Fun home is amaaaaazing, really beautiful stuff. My mrs has her next book but I've not read it yet. She said it was a little less dense than Fun Home but still very good.

Fun Home is perhaps the best media I've come across about gay-ness, especially when it comes to the lesbian side which is ofter under-represented or glamorised. But the story of her coming out paralleled with her father's closetedness is just great stuff.

Also, speculation:

Any hints for this?
I'm not too versed in TF lore next to the current IDW stuff (and from this only Last Stand of the Wreckers, Heart of Darkness, Chaos Theory and MTME and RID) and what I remember from G1 (mostly the 86 movie that I watched 100 times as a youngling).

Mindwipe

Any hints for this?
I'm not too versed in TF lore next to the current IDW stuff (and from this only Last Stand of the Wreckers, Heart of Darkness, Chaos Theory and MTME and RID) and what I remember from G1 (mostly the 86 movie that I watched 100 times as a youngling).

The writer of MTMTE wrote a fanfic novel previously called Eugenisis. It features the Quints quite heavily. I don't think I'd want to spoil anything else, but there are certain obvious parallels.

Tizoc

Also, speculation:

I've been wondering when those wackos are gonna show up XD
Funnly enough
Quintessons have 5 heads; Primus split into 5 when Cybertron was created

Owzers

I've used the focused totality of my telepathic abilities, I see that sillymonkey321 is on the case.

I'm on no case! I'm all for an OP dedicated to yelling at people to buy Young Avengers. I'm all for an ElNarez Villains OT.

Unrelated: I read the first two issues of the new Red She Hulk book...this is not good at all. Parker has to have better ideas than an abundance of meandering machine man dialog.

Tizoc

This should've been her Nu52 outfit-
02.jpg

snorggy

Are any of the GI Joe comics worth a damn, current or otherwise? Been thinking how cool some snake eyes and storm shadow in comic form would probably be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom