• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| December 2013. Spiking the eggnog, and not telling Stark about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Owzers

Worst advice evs. I caught up in a month of concentrated study. And it's beyond worth it. The most exciting engaging and consistent universe in comics.

was it a month in our time or Cap bizarro world time where you raised bprd as your own child and it felt like 10 years?

Dead

well not really...yet
So I was cleaning up some stuff earlier today and found this buried somewhere:

bDdeluD.jpg

Holy shit, it's been 2 years since this came out and there has been nothing since. I had totally forgotten about it. Apparently issue 2 is planned for next year...

Tizoc

Liking the look of the new She-Hulk book, sign me the fuck up
it'll get canceled after a year but I don't give a fuck so long as its a fun run

Read Abe Sapien #1 today and really liked it. Sometimes I think I should just quit the monthly game and dedicate myself to reading through Hellboy, BPRD and the rest.

DO IT! I plan on re-reading Hellboy and BPRD by the end of th year, well BPRD mostly since its the only book that's been continuing its story, and I need to catch up.
Decent female representation or sausage fest?

Liz Sherman is a phenomenally well rounded charac, the head of BPRD is female, a bunch of great female agents, lots of weird female protagonists over the course of the series. No worries on that front.
^What Birdie said. The first time Liz met Hellboy will give you feels.

It happened during Spencer's run. I read 'till the third one before dropping it, I'm pretty sure that happened during one of those.

"And this guy is your leader."

Thanks, well either way Tasky was awesome in this issue, looking forward to more wackiness from Kot in the future.

Eldren

I think Elektra is still a few months away which might explain things (March maybe?) but Wells says he's gonna try to do something a bit forward-moving for her, which I'm excited for. People have tried it before, obviously, but Zeb Wells is actually good at writing her instead of terrible.

Oh ok, that makes sense. I didn't realise it was still that far away. When did Wells write Elektra, by the way? The only thing I've read by him was the New Warriors mini-series he did with Skottie Young that lead to Civil War.

Is The Activity good?

I know donie is a big fan but I haven't seen him here in a while. He'd make a good case for it. I picked up the first trade on his recommendation but haven't had a chance to read it yet. It looks really cool though, like realistic hardcore espionage with some gorgeous art.

Guys!!!

So I got all four Green Lanternverse 21s. When they swapped in the new teams. First off, GL might be mildly interesting but god damn worst art ever. Really a shame.

That said; Corps, New Guardians (?!?!), and Redz were all really solid/great reads. Totally the crazy galactic DC I love. Do they ever get a good artist on mainline GL? It's a shanda to have that trash on the flagship book. A book that Mahnke once drew damn it!!!

I think Billy Tan draws the main GL title right? What is it you don't like? I've not read any New 52 Lantern stuff.

The Lantern titles are pretty good right now. I'm especially loving New Guardians and Red Lanterns; I also like how much they are using cosmic races like Durlans and Khunds.

tim1138

For what it's worth, I enjoyed issue 25 of New Guardians and Red Lanterns. Although to be fair, it'd be hard for RL to be worse than when Milligan was on it.

frye

Oh ok, that makes sense. I didn't realise it was still that far away. When did Wells write Elektra, by the way? The only thing I've read by him was the New Warriors mini-series he did with Skottie Young that lead to Civil War.

He's done a Dark Reign mini with Clay Mann, a Shadowland one-shot with Emma Rios, and a recent Savage Wolverine arc with Joe Mad. All are pretty dope reads.

Owzers

Finished End of Days on MU, i liked the parts with
Punisher a lot
but the series seemed like a dud overall.

Time to get caught up on Superior Spidey.

Eldren

He's done a Dark Reign mini with Clay Mann, a Shadowland one-shot with Emma Rios, and a recent Savage Wolverine arc with Joe Mad. All are pretty dope reads.

Oh yeah, the Savage Wolverine arc rings a bell. I read a few previews of that one, that's the series I was thinking of. Thanks.

62.50, half off, at dcbs this pre-order cycle, we'll see how much it is at instocktrades on the week it releases, if they are still doing half off popular select new books. IST has free shipping with $50 orders too.

They're finally releasing an Annihilation omnibus? Jesus fuck what took so long?

Owzers

Started reading Forever Evil #3 and i got to the first page with Lex in it. What's up with each issue telling a narrated Lex story at the start? Cat in the tree in issue 1, rats in a trap in issue 2, now flowers.

Vibranium

Banned
yo, I was banned but Infinity sucked. Like really bad.

It wasn't bad, but I just can't agree with Hickman's style. There's some great little character moments but he's still too focused on the grand plotting. I'm done after this event, it's all character solo books for me.

A smaller roster would really help, just make even more Avengers books with everyone and have the main one consist of the Big 4+ a few others.

It wasn't bad, but I just can't agree with Hickman's style.

Is that really the right way to be looking at it? I mean, each writer has his/her own style. It's not something to agree with. You can choose to like it or not, certainly. As for Hickman, I think he's definitely one of the better writers out there at the moment. And I just love those empty white splash pages he uses in his books with the quotes and things. Stylish. Although they seem to be used more effectively in his indy books, like East of West.

Starting to get caught up on the last two weeks of chomix.

Earth 2 #18: Great stuff. The people of Earth 2 just can't catch a break. I'm really looking forward to seeing how they manage to deal with the impossible seeming odds against them.

Action Chomix #26: I really enjoyed this issue and like what Greg Pak is doing here. Lana is interesting and I like the air of familiarity between her and Clark.

Red Lanterns #25: Continues to be a great turnaround for this title. My only little quibble, did I miss where the agreement on jurisdiction over 2814 happened? They just sort of acknowledge it here. I'm also curious about their numbers; Not a lot of Red Lanterns left. They are going to need more, I think, which makes the solicits from Red Lanterns / Supergirl #28 all the more intriguing.

Rat Queens #3: A nice issue. Much needed character exploration, even if only in a few small doses, it did some good work with subtle displays of the skills of several of the team members (Betty and Violet in particular). The humor was a little more subdued, which I think I appreciated.

Catwoman #25 with Layman and Lopresti was like a brief moment of lucidity in and endless haze of madness. It wasn't a purrfect issue by any stretch but it was very enjoyable. Lopresti draws a gorgeous Selena and Layman captures her impulsiveness well.

Edit: Tim, you asked about Forever Evil: ARGUS a few weeks back. Didn't have a chance to read it until now. If you're still interested in my opinion,

I liked this issue.
It deals with Steve Trevor saving the President from Deathstroke. We learn more about the various "rooms" that ARGUS has, and his plan to find out if Diana and the League really are dead.
It continues to be a Steve Trevor story first, a look at ARGUS and it's attempts to recover from the knockout blow the Society dealt it second.

Owzers

I used to complain about 2 page spreads, now i enjoy even decent ones. Don't quit doing them just for digital...and still make sure a 2 page spread is worth having two pages for. It's like conserving a dying species.

Final Crisis #3 read like a middle issue alright, not much happened there outside of the riveting satellite positioning.

Amazing X-Men #1 seemed a bit boring.

Picked up Black Science off of the shelf at my LCS today.

It's a good read. Gives me vibes of like, a 1950s sci-fi cover come to life. Good sense of pacing and seat of your pants mania. Feels like a short story in sequential form. Not sure how it'll fair over the long term, I don't think this is a series that would benefit from letting off the sense of urgency, but I'll definitely check out the next few issues.

at the end of thier Lights Out issue when Hal went to get them to help

Right. I remember that Guy said there would be a cost for their help. I just don't remember where the exact details of that cost were laid out. I'm going to have to go back and read that issue again, I think, to see if you are correct.

Owzers

You know you've made a comics buying mistake when you don't want to read the books you bought, namely Indestructible Hulk and Infinity:The Hunt.

You know you've made a comics buying mistake when you don't want to read the books you bought, namely Indestructible Hulk and Infinity:The Hunt.

Do you buy from a LCS? Do they not allow you (occasional) returns? Mine does. I've rarely had to use it but they allow it and it's great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom