• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| December 2014. Alas, reading this thread backwards simply doesn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody ever read this?

250px-First_wave1_cover.jpg
I read an issue or two of it. Don't remember much from it though.

Edit: man I hate that Angela joined the GoTG and MU in general. It makes no sense and doesn't fit. and this from a person that bought and loved her debut in Spawn #9 written by Gaiman. It's like making Witchblade an avenger. It don't work

Messi

I read an issue or two of it. Don't remember much from it though.

Edit: man I hate that Angela joined the GoTG and MU in general. It makes no sense and doesn't fit. and this from a person that bought and loved her debut in Spawn #9 written by Gaiman. It's like making Witchblade an avenger. It don't work

Did you read the first issue of the new Gillen series? I thought it was awesome and the art was lovely.

Here is the Krazy Glue job. The hand broke off, the top 2 spikes, the right batarang end and a chunk on the wrist where the hand broke off.

Couldn't find the batarang end and couldn't get the spikes perfect but it works I guess.

B6DQWm9IgAEQ9W_.jpg

Did you read the first issue of the new Gillen series? I thought it was awesome and the art was lovely.
Yep. Incredible series and debut. It was the Gillen we've been waiting for. I have so much promise for this series but it will probably only get 12 isues. It's magical though.

No. I only read marvel through MU these days. it'll be 6 months before it's available.

Speaking of MU latest New Avengers I'm actively rooting against the illuminati. Go go fake Justice league. But Stange has gone half demon and I'm sure they'll lose next issue (and it's their book). Still fake Supes wrecking hulk, and fake flash dismantling Tony was enjoyable

Messi

New Sunstone strip is out (one more left after this one in chapter 4) Spoilers for those who are caught up and have read the new strip:

Ally: "I can now become the Dominatrix you wanted me to be! The Allison from your stories! What do you think? You, Me, and Anne here just the way you imagined it? Afterall that's how I roll! I just fuck all my friends"

Lisa: "Well ... as far as your friends go I only know Alan. So where I am standing you are two for two!"

me: :(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((

The heartbreak in the next panel killed me. Damn it. What a cruel thing to say.

Great stuff.

Southern Bastards is incredible.

New Sunstone strip is out (one more left after this one in chapter 4) Spoilers for those who are caught up and have read the new strip:

Ally: "I can now become the Dominatrix you wanted me to be! The Allison from your stories! What do you think? You, Me, and Anne here just the way you imagined it? Afterall that's how I roll! I just fuck all my friends"

Lisa: "Well ... as far as your friends go I only know Alan. So where I am standing you are two for two!"

me: :(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((

The heartbreak in the next panel killed me. Damn it. What a cruel thing to say.

Great stuff.

Southern Bastards is incredible.

good update. Some almost SiP level daggers thrown. Anne is the best. I hope she finally meets up with Alan next chapter. Its been teased and dragged out forever

MG310

It seems like they ignored it so it would look the rest of the line. I dunno, maybe it's nothing, but i liked his actual design for it better than it turned out.

I think that's exactly what it is - presumably all of the statues share that specific skin color and red/gold/blue the same way all of the Superman Man of Steel ones use those metallics.

I think the Batman Black & White colors probably hurt the Manapul Batman a bit too.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Uncanny X-Force 2010-2012 #35 issue run is the Remender stuff correct?

Speaking of Uncanny prefixes, I just found out about
Avengers of the Supernatural
today.

Shit, why isn't that its own series? I mean, sure, the few pages I saw of their debut were kinda bad, but that concept sounds up my alley.

Messi

Real talk. I've read 3 comics since the Strangers in Paradise book club started. If a book doesn't have Katchoo in it... I ain't interested.

Real talk. I've read 3 comics since the Strangers in Paradise book club started. If a book doesn't have Katchoo in it... I ain't interested.

My wife started reading Sunstone in bed last night and I caught myself just following along. Of course there is eye candy but it is a touching tale of love and all those feels that go along with it.

Ps. I should be starting Doom Patrol later this week. Can't wait to talk about it with you guys.

For reals. Its been tough for me to change gears, and only read 3 issues per day. I'm just happy others are enjoying a comic I've enjoyed for years

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
just read Uncanny X-Force #1, I liked it. Deadpool not being too...Deadpool-y, this Fantomex cat seems interesting (was he a new character for this or was he around before? Ive never heard of him), I like the art aswell. The only thing that, I wont say bothered me, but put me on hold was at the end of the issue, there is basically a gigantic recap of, what I assume was past X-Force volumes. Stuff about Cable and Hope and Bishop going evil and time travel and Bastion and Stryfe and Dead Nightcrawler and a million other things, it just made me realise... you really cant "go back home" can you? >_<

Think I will definately stick to specific series or runs you guys suggest, and nothing else. I think trying to go back and read everything since I stopped is a fools errand

My wife started reading Sunstone in bed last night and I caught myself just following along. Of course there is eye candy but it is a touching tale of love and all those feels that go along with it.
Aside from the eye-candy, Sunstone gives you a new undersanding of the BDSM subculture, and I think it should be applauded for that. The media makes it out to be a lot of things that it isn't.

Messi

Ps. I should be starting Doom Patrol later this week. Can't wait to talk about it with you guys.

I truly love it. It is the best thing I have read all year and is absolutely one of the best things I can recall reading. I love all those characters. But Ally especially. I am so glad some of you guys here took a chance on it after I had been raving on about it. I envy people like you Korupt who gets to read the other 3 volumes (so far) for the first time. I read them all on the deviant art page in a day. One after another I couldn't pull myself away. Their relationship is so well done and every little tick and emotion is displayed so well. I hope your wife enjoyed it too :)

But what if Sunstone added Katchoo? WHAT IF?

Aside from the eye-candy, Sunstone gives you a new undersanding of the BDSM subculture, and I think it should be applauded for that. The media makes it out to be a lot of things that it isn't.

For sure! Sexual geeks, cosplayers or larpers. I really liked that explanation. Then my wife asked me what I thought I would be if I was a Dom or Submissive and after thinking about it I told her I guess I'm not into BDSM as I can't easily identify with any side. I could be both. I can't identify with any extreme.

Splatt

just read Uncanny X-Force #1, I liked it. Deadpool not being too...Deadpool-y, this Fantomex cat seems interesting (was he a new character for this or was he around before? Ive never heard of him), I like the art aswell. The only thing that, I wont say bothered me, but put me on hold was at the end of the issue, there is basically a gigantic recap of, what I assume was past X-Force volumes. Stuff about Cable and Hope and Bishop going evil and time travel and Bastion and Stryfe and Dead Nightcrawler and a million other things, it just made me realise... you really cant "go back home" can you? >_<

Think I will definately stick to specific series or runs you guys suggest, and nothing else. I think trying to go back and read everything since I stopped is a fools errand

Fantomex was created by Grant Morrison back in 2002 for his New X-Men run.

Him and Deadpool are the heart and soul of that X-Force team.

Messi

For sure! Sexual geeks, cosplayers or larpers. I really liked that explanation. Then my wife asked me what I thought I would be if I was a Dom or Submissive and after thinking about it I told her I guess I'm not into BDSM as I can't easily identify with any side. I could be both. I can't identify with any extreme.

tumblr_lk8r1f3chl1qd3o95o1_400.gif

You are in Korupt!

Dominant all the way...Just use your Batman voice when you give orders

Sejic's wifes work is also really good and some of it ties into Sunstone. One of the books is a prequel by 6 months to Sunstone. Her art is eerily similar to his.

I am going to be like a voter at the Academy Awards in the Comic of the Year thread. Voting even if I haven't read all the nominations.

Also, Ms. Marvel #5 is up on MU and continues to be great.

GotG #16 is also up. No one told me Tim Buckley was guest writing.

Why does Marvel do stupid stuff like have Nick Bradshaw on a few issues of a weekly!? Brah should be on an imaginative world book with lots of characters and charm. Mike Marts.

Joe Quinones posted some superhero redesigns he did on tumblr. Figured Messi would like this since he posted a Harley picture.

Not really crazy about them but I love his art.

The wonder woman and black canary ones aren't too bad.

Goes to show you not every artist can also design which makes me wonder how artists get picked for designs. I've always thought Cassaday was an awkward character designer. Astonishing X-Men's villain were always kind of odd looking and that would take me out of the comic sometimes.

I like Anka's artwork and I think his designs are generally good to great, but how was he picked above someone like Kevin Wada who obviously has a strong sense for clothing/costume design. Who else was considered for coming up with the redesign for Spider-Woman?

Zombine

Banned
The wonder woman and black canary ones aren't too bad.

Goes to show you not every artist can also design which makes me wonder how artists get picked for designs. I've always thought Cassaday was an awkward character designer. Astonishing X-Men's villain were always kind of odd looking and that would take me out of the comic sometimes.

I like Anka's artwork and I think his designs are generally good to great, but how was he picked above someone like Kevin Wada who obviously has a strong sense for clothing/costume design. Who else was considered for coming up with the redesign for Spider-Woman?

Quinones was selling these little art cards with some of his work on there. I believe he gave me his Catwoman '66 that was the actual drawing. I'll post it later if I feel like going through the process of hosting images.

I still love my Captain Marvel print that he added more graffiti to :)

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

1399902583040.jpg

Messi

Quinones was selling these little art cards with some of his work on there. I believe he gave me his Catwoman '66 that was the actual drawing. I'll post it later if I feel like going through the process of hosting images.

I still love my Captain Marvel print that he added more graffiti to :)

You ever met Gail Simone?

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward

I... don't think I've read any comics at all besides SiP.

Awesome! I'm so excited to talk more about Doom Patrol.

fauxtrot

Banned
Hey y'all, I'm trying to put together an IST order (thanks to some Christmas $$$ I was gifted) and I have this in my cart so far:

Doom Patrol Omnibus
Stray Bullets Uber Alles Edition
Sunstone Vol 1

Anyone wanna help me pick out one or two additional things? I don't really want to pick up any Marvel books, unless their really special, so I can get the most out of my Unlimited account. I was thinking about the Howard the Duck Ominbus, but I'd kind of prefer to pick up something indie or older DC/Vertigo instead.

Hey y'all, I'm trying to put together an IST order (thanks to some Christmas $$$ I was gifted) and I have this in my cart so far:

Doom Patrol Omnibus
Sunstone Vol 1

Anyone wanna help me pick out one or two additional things? I don't really want to pick up any Marvel books, unless their really special, so I can get the most out of my Unlimited account. I was thinking about the Howard the Duck Ominbus, but I'd kind of prefer to pick up something indie or older DC/Vertigo instead.

What price range are you looking at? And are you looking for complete series?

Mindwipe

I was thinking about the Howard the Duck Ominbus, but I'd kind of prefer to pick up something indie or older DC/Vertigo instead.

Can we skip the classics? If not...

Alan Moore's Swamp Thing? Morrison's Animal Man? Sandman?

Doom Patrol Omnibus
Sunstone Vol 1

Planetary Omnibus.

fauxtrot

Banned
What price range are you looking at? And are you looking for complete series?

I'm at about $125 and am willing to go up another $100 or so. I'd prefer complete series and hardcover if they're longer than 6 issues or so.

edit - Ooh, yeah I haven't read Planetary or Animal Man... those are both going on my wishlist if I don't put them on this order.

I'm at about $125 and am willing to go up another $100 or so. I'd prefer complete series and hardcover if they're longer than 6 issues or so.

If you are looking for more Morrison, there's the Animal Man omnibus and the two Seven Soldiers of Victory hardcovers. (I haven't read those yet, though).

Absolute Top 10 is great and is completely collected (with a fair amount of extra material too).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom