• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2014. Flowers? Candy? Please. Get that guy/gal an omnibus!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So question, how likely do you guys think it'll be that we'll see an omnibus or two of Peter David's X-Factor? There's 21 trade paper backs that have been released :O

They just started releasing Complete Collection TPBs. First one came out last week. :)

Next one is in May.

I wouldn't bet on omniboo with those complete collection trades coming out.

I hear you on this, I'd love some sweet omnibus action, and although it's a fan favourite title it mightnt shift too many copies. Having said that the X-Statix omnibus is amazing and one of my all time favourite runs (even though I hated it at first when it took over X-Force which I loved). What I am going to say is contradictory I know but X-Factor, even though can be pretty self contained it just seems to be almost too big for an omnibus collection (or few, and yes I realise some of Uncanny X-Men was collected in omnibus versions, but Uncanny is a flagship title and the characters are so well known now).

What I would love is an omnibus collecting the earlier X-Factor (#71 - 89 )...theres just enough of em for a few omnibus. What, just me? Oh well.

Is the all new x-men series any good? I'm tempted to get that and ms. marvel... Any word on if ms. marvel is any good?

There's a Ms. Marvel preview up at CBR. Based on that it looks pretty good. As for All-New X-Men, I like it a lot, but it's pretty necessary to read Uncanny X-men as well.

I'm enjoying it. Though I do understand people who say not very much happens.

Maybe I'll give it a shot then... Get that, ms. marvel, and new x-factor.

There's a Ms. Marvel preview up at CBR. Based on that it looks pretty good. As for All-New X-Men, I like it a lot, but it's pretty necessary to read Uncanny X-men as well.

Do they cross over a lot or something? I haven't read comics except as ominbuses lately but I remember them doing that constantly when I was younger.

Do they cross over a lot or something? I haven't read comics except as ominbuses lately but I remember them doing that constantly when I was younger.

The two books were tied much closer together toward the beginning of the series than they do now. Right now it's crossing over with Guardians of the Galaxy for the "Trial of Jean Grey" story arc.

Is there an "Avatar the Last Airbender" of comics? (Besides actual AtlA comics)

Something with an action/adventure/fantasy element that's not superheroes, that is a stand alone story with a start and end?

I'm aware that not every comic is superheroes, but when looking for ones that aren't I usually find down to earth/scifi/other genre stuff, and I know that not ever US comic is in the same shared universe/reboots and retcons/neverending status as the mainstream heroes, but many of those creator owned stories I find are still superhero trope comics.

Any recommendations?

Messi

Is there an "Avatar the Last Airbender" of comics? (Besides actual AtlA comics)

Something with an action/adventure/fantasy element that's not superheroes, that is a stand alone story with a start and end?

I'm aware that not every comic is superheroes, but when looking for ones that aren't I usually find down to earth/scifi/other genre stuff, and I know that not ever US comic is in the same shared universe/reboots and retcons/neverending status as the mainstream heroes, but many of those creator owned stories I find are still superhero trope comics.

Any recommendations?

I would say SAGA ticks those boxes but it's nowhere near finished.

Cheska

Annnnd 3 hours later I've finally organized this past month's comic pick ups. I keep telling myself to put them in my short boxes the same week I buy them, but then I forget and the pile keeps getting bigger.

Messi

Annnnd 3 hours later I've finally organized this past month's comic pick ups. I keep telling myself to put them in my short boxes the same week I buy them, but then I forget and the pile keeps getting bigger.

My unread/unorganised pile. I am good about putting them away once read though. It just keeps growing each week. :(

551umCvl.jpg

Ain't that the devils honest truth.

And Marvel freaking loves their crossovers.

I don't read Uncanny or Guardians of the Galaxy but now I feel like I'm missing some story parts and I was enjoying all new as a contained thing.

I love organizing my stuff. Put on headphones and a podcast and organize. Often I'll look at older books and reminisce. I recently bought my 5th short box and took out all my comics out of 2 boxes and rearranged it into 3. I have one box dedicated to just Batman and 2 other boxes of DC stuff. I have another box full of indies and another box with half Marvel and half indies.

LOL! I'm the same way! I don't forget, I'm just lazy that way. Eventually I end up with three weeks of comics to sort. :(

I went to the LCS today to get Vol 3 of Aquaman and saw that it was 3 issues, 0, and 3 issues from Justice League that I already owned. It was 25 bucks. I went to the back issues and found 13-25 and with my discount it was 33. Now I have Johns whole run to read.

sca2511

My unread/unorganised pile. I am good about putting them away once read though. It just keeps growing each week. :(

stackofbooks.jpg

This is what I'm afraid of and mine is starting to look similar to it. There doesn't seem to be a nice way to organize them other than the long box, which isn't attractive to look at. Only other option that I know of is to convert the singles into hardcovers.

arkon

My unread pile is huge too. I've been rushing to read the newly launching series while letting the mainstays languish for a while. I seriously need to start sorting them into longboxes.

I love organizing my stuff. Put on headphones and a podcast and organize. Often I'll look at older books and reminisce. I recently bought my 5th short box and took out all my comics out of 2 boxes and rearranged it into 3. I have one box dedicated to just Batman and 2 other boxes of DC stuff. I have another box full of indies and another box with half Marvel and half indies.

Yeah, it can be fun to play around with the collection. I've begun sorting mine for what I plan to sell and give away. After pulling out the first wave of books, what remains is a 2/3rds full box of corporate comics, and 1 and 1/3 boxes of indies. I want to buy a fourth short box to hold comics I intend to sell, because it seems it'll always be a rotating stuff in and out. And already I have quite a few books that need a good home.

Speaking of peeling through old issues, I found some stuff I want to give out codes for. Anyone here want the second arc of Cable and X-Force? Issues 6-10. And I have some random X-Men codes: Issues 2, 13, and 15 of All New X-Men, and Parts 1, 2 and 3 of Battle of the Atom (X-Men, ANXM and X-Men respectively). PM me. First come, first serve.

dan2026

I am full digital with my monthly issues.

Now if you want to talk hardback/paperback collections, I have this bookcase full...

Owzers

I am full digital with my monthly issues.

Now if you want to talk hardback/paperback collections, I have this bookcase full...

trade collections have personality, floppies are just an angry mess of sentimentality. And how does Denver have 0 points through the first half? Grawrf.

trade collections have personality, floppies are just an angry mess of sentimentality. And how does Denver have 0 points through the first half? Grawrf.

I think I want to try out a binding service when my floppies start to get out of hand. I'll probably do a test run with the FF run next month when I finally get the final issue.

#ThanksDCBS

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
So I'm up to Planetary #5 and I'm really enjoying the distillation of pop culture stories and genre motifs. Still very few character moments but the mystery is great and the writing, as is usually the case with Warren Ellis, is fantastic. I kind of want to read through a ton more issues tonite but I want to let it all sink in.

I'm not enjoying the neutered language, though. As badass as Elijah Snow is, threatening to skewer or kick someone's "butt" makes me cringe, especially in mature stories like this one. I know little about Wildstorm, but I assume it wasn't an adult publisher, so cursing was a no-go? Or was ass not okay in mainstream comics in 1999?

Jaeger

I grabbed a buttload of IDW's run with the TMNT property. I'm expecting a good time. heard overwhelmingly positive reviews on it, thus far.

Vyer

I started reading that Captain America trade that was on sale a few days ago.

What exactly is the explanation for two Nick Furys

Sterling Gates kn Shazam please since Johns is on Superman. They'll need a bona fide comics superstar to launch Vyborg though, someone with something left to prove....

Owzers

I started reading that Captain America trade that was on sale a few days ago.

What exactly is the explanation for two Nick Furys

"Samuel L Jackson Fury is popular, how can we bring him into the Marvel regular universe and not just the Ultimate Universe. Should he jump through universes? Nah, we can just make another"

Vyer

"Samuel L Jackson Fury is popular, how can we bring him into the Marvel regular universe and not just the Ultimate Universe. Should he jump through universes? Nah, we can just make another"

Haha, well yeah. I meant the comic book explanation. :).

I researched a little and it looks like his...son?

First of all, your KLK avatar is amazing. What was the source?

Heh, thanks. It's from a fan-art drawing of Satsuki that I just ran through photoshop for cropping and resizing.

And I grabbed about 20 issues, for the time being. Gonna grab more as soon as I can.

Well, they just released issue #30 last week, so you've got most of the series. Though the Secret History of the Foot Clan is worth reading as well.

Does Batman black and white come with a digital copy since it's $5? Or is there a list of the comics that DC has digital copies with? From my google searches it seems really hit or miss with what they give digital copies of and apparently it's not guaranteed across a line? Sort of confusing in the explanations I've seen.

Owzers

Does Batman black and white come with a digital copy since it's $5? Or is there a list of the comics that DC has digital copies with? From my google searches it seems really hit or miss with what they give digital copies of and apparently it's not guaranteed across a line? Sort of confusing in the explanations I've seen.

it has to say "digital combo" on the cover, they aren't like marvel books where all 3.99 books have them, DC has separate combo packs that contain digital codes for $1 extra. Batman, Green Lantern, Justice League, JLoA, Forever Evil all offer combo packs. Maybe a couple more, but it's very limited. Looking it up on dcbs for january books, combo packs are also for: Batman Superman, Batman Detective Comics, Superman Wonder Woman, Superman Unchained, and Sandman Oveture.

The Green Lantern Annual though didn't have a combo version which was really annoying.

DC offers "combo pack" versions of only a small portion (something like ten or twelve books) of its lineup of titles, that include a digital code at a $1 premium over the normal version. Availability on this option is limited to high-profile books, like Batman and Justice League and Superman Unchained for example, and doesn't include any of their $2.99 priced books or specialty titles like Batman B&W.

EDIT: It's not like with Marvel, where every book $3.99 and up gets a code seems to be the norm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom