• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2014. Flowers? Candy? Please. Get that guy/gal an omnibus!

Status
Not open for further replies.
it has to say "digital combo" on the cover, they aren't like marvel books where all 3.99 books have them, DC has separate combo packs that contain digital codes for $1 extra. Batman, Green Lantern, Justice League, JLoA, Forever Evil all offer combo packs. Maybe a couple more, but it's very limited.

The Green Lantern Annual though didn't have a combo version which was really annoying.

I saw it listed like that but does that mean all batman comics or is there just the line called "batman"? That seems annoying to get a hold on a combo pack if that's how they implement it. :/ I wish DC would move into the future instead of their backwards handling of things currently in respects to digital issues. Is there a special reason batman black and white is so expensive then? Is it because it's around 48pgs or so? I remember DC making a big deal about their comics not increasing in price like marvel but that might not be true anymore. Sorry for the seemingly stupid questions, a friend has recently gotten me back into comics and now I'm getting into following them as they are released. :(

As a side note, how much do most of you spend a month in comics with your huge stacks? It feels like that would be really pricey but maybe not?

DC offers "combo pack" versions of only a small portion (something like ten or twelve books) of its lineup of titles, that include a digital code at a $1 premium over the normal version. Availability on this option is limited to high-profile books, like Batman and Justice League and Superman Unchained for example, and doesn't include any of their $2.99 priced books or specialty titles like Batman B&W.

Ah, didn't realize Batman B&W was a specialty title. Is there a normal line batman that is currently good? I was flipping through B&W since I saw people mentioning it and it actually looks really really good in both art and story but I haven't really read it yet.

Probably add Ms. Marvel to my pulls well...honestly pull this week after I pretty much cut everything but Ultimate Spidey. If I hadn't missed an issue of Trillium early on I'd have that but I'll just trade wait it. Vertigo goes to trades pretty quick.

I keep thinking I'm up to date on my reading because I forget the Infinite Crisis and 52 omnis sitting in the corner of the room >_>; I should get to those soon.

Owzers

I saw it listed like that but does that mean all batman comics or is there just the line called "batman"? That seems annoying to get a hold on a combo pack if that's how they implement it. :/ I wish DC would move into the future instead of their backwards handling of things currently in respects to digital issues. Is there a special reason batman black and white is so expensive then? Is it because it's around 48pgs or so? I remember DC making a big deal about their comics not increasing in price like marvel but that might not be true anymore. Sorry for the seemingly stupid questions, a friend has recently gotten me back into comics and now I'm getting into following them as they are released. :(

"Batman" the main Batman title by Snyder is fairly good, its' going through a Zero Year origin arc that started with issue #21.

DC gave up on being a better value than marvel, though they still have more 2.99 books than Marvel does.

I spend around $100 a month for about 40 singles (40% off issues from DCBS).

I spend about $100 on average now from DCBS too, but about 30 singles and 2 trades. I probably sell half of everything i buy though after i get done reading to keep costs lower.

I spend around $100 a month for about 40 singles (40% off issues from DCBS).

I really want to use one of the cheaper online places like DCBS but I really like my local comic book store. I've known them for a couple years and have always been really nice so I want to buy from them as much as possible but they only give me 20% off of the cover price which limits my spending but I feel bad cutting them out except on some of the collections/omnibuses that were over double the price since they charge MSRP vs online places like amazon.

"Batman" the main Batman title by Snyder is fairly good, its' going through a Zero Year origin arc that started with issue #21.

DC gave up on being a better value than marvel, though they still have more 2.99 books than Marvel does.

I spend about $100 on average now from DCBS too, but about 30 singles and 2 trades. I probably sell half of everything i buy though after i get done reading to keep costs lower.

How much money do you make back when you resell it? It's interesting a lot of people spend $100. I can easily see how it gets that high but it feels kind of rich for my blood. :(

Maybe I'll look at the normal one then. Batman '66 in the small excerpts didn't really do much for me and I don't know anything about the others. Are there any good batman side stories that are good? I see people mention the harley quinn side series relatively often in the comic threads.

Owzers

20% local shop discount seems pretty good, i don't have a shop around me so DCBS is great.

The best way to keep costs down is to not buy Marvel/DC continuity books. Nothing by Bendis, no Avengers, no Batman, no crossovers , events, or tie-ins that make you feel like you need to read more and more books all the time to be a part of the "universe altering forever" events. There are some exceptions, fringe Marvel/DC books that stay out of the way of the quarterly hype at least. Harley might be an exception. Hawkeye on Marvel too.

Selling stuff doesn't make a profit, just mitigates cost. Usually for 6 issues of something i'll get $7-10.

20% local shop discount seems pretty good, i don't have a shop around me so DCBS is great.

The best way to keep costs down is to not buy Marvel/DC continuity books. Nothing by Bendis, no Avengers, no Batman, no crossovers , events, or tie-ins that make you feel like you need to read more and more books all the time to be a part of the "universe altering forever" events. There are some exceptions, fringe Marvel/DC books that stay out of the way of the quarterly hype at least. Harley might be an exception. Hawkeye on Marvel too.

Selling stuff doesn't make a profit, just mitigates cost. Usually for 6 issues of something i'll get $7-10.

What do you mean by Marvel/DC continuity books? And no batman makes me :(. Why no Bendis? Is he crazy on crossovers or something or why avoid him so much? I'm not too familiar with most writers since a lot of reading I did when I was younger or even if it was later I never really paid attention to the writers/artists that did a certain series I just new certain things I liked and other things I didn't.

And yeah, I didn't mean to imply making a profit at all, I couldn't see that. I was just wondering how much of the cost you can expect to recover. Since some of it if you got like $.50 an issue or something would feel like more trouble than it's worth for me and probably give up shortly after starting.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
Probably gonna grab the Miller Daredevil Omni (vol 1) this week. Anyone comment on the physical quality of the book? Is it a pain to read or manageable?

Owzers

What do you mean by Marvel/DC continuity books? And no batman makes me :(. Why no Bendis? Is he crazy on crossovers or something or why avoid him so much? I'm not too familiar with most writers since a lot of reading I did when I was younger or even if it was later I never really paid attention to the writers/artists that did a certain series I just new certain things I liked and other things I didn't.

And yeah, I didn't mean to imply making a profit at all, I couldn't see that. I was just wondering how much of the cost you can expect to recover. Since some of it if you got like $.50 an issue or something would feel like more trouble than it's worth for me and probably give up shortly after starting.

A brief Bendis example: He starts All New X-Men and has very little plot movement. Instead of progressing his story with Cyclops and his teams involvement, it's split off into a second book by him, Uncanny X-Men. Now there are two books that move slowly until Battle of the Atom starts a few months after Uncanny X-Men releases, and that crosses over with X-Men and Wolverine and the X-men, not much happens in that event. The event ends and now a few issues later All New X-Men crosses over with Bendis' other book Guardians of the Galaxy, another mediocre book.

If you're on a budget and you don't absolutely love All New X-Men, you've just sunk a lot of money following it. You can pick up Batman if you want to, it's a good book, but a side book in Batman Eternals, shipping weekly, "expands the universe and can't be missed!". I'll probably keep buying Batman and "miss" what goes on in Eternals, but it's going to be annoying trying to follow the book if Eternals has necessary seeds for the next arc.

Marvel/DC hype books are all about trying to get you to buy more books than you want to in order to feel like you are involved with the continuity changes. Sometimes they're all decent/good quality and enjoyable, sometimes you pick and choose, and sometimes they're awful.

A brief Bendis example: He starts All New X-Men and has very little plot movement. Instead of progressing his story with Cyclops and his teams involvement, it's split off into a second book by him, Uncanny X-Men. Now there are two books that move slowly until Battle of the Atom starts a few months after Uncanny X-Men releases, and that crosses over with X-Men and Wolverine and the X-men, not much happens in that event. The event ends and now a few issues later All New X-Men crosses over with Bendis' other book Guardians of the Galaxy, another mediocre book.

If you're on a budget and you don't absolutely love All New X-Men, you've just sunk a lot of money following it. You can pick up Batman if you want to, it's a good book, but a side book in Batman Eternals, shipping weekly, "expands the universe and can't be missed!". I'll probably keep buying Batman and "miss" what goes on in Eternals, but it's going to be annoying trying to follow the book if Eternals has necessary seeds for the next arc.

Marvel/DC hype books are all about trying to get you to buy more books than you want to in order to feel like you are involved with the continuity changes. Sometimes they're all decent/good quality and enjoyable, sometimes you pick and choose, and sometimes they're awful.

Ah, I get what you're saying now. I've never really bought DC singles, only collections so I wasn't sure with that but I used to buy a lot of xmen when I was younger and I hated how I was buying close to 4 different series to try and follow one arc, it was stupid and just unnecessary. I enjoyed most of the issues for the most part but there were some boring storylines but I was afraid I was going to be lost when I just stuck to one series and then by the time it flipped back the battle was half over and you had no clue what happened. Now I remember why I stopped buying comic books. :lol

Where are they on sale? I wanted to read that too.

I'm assuming he means her Captain marvel books are the new monday sale books for marvel's digital comics.

http://marvel.com/comics/list/935/captain_marvel_99_cent_sale?byZone=marvel_site_zone&options[offset]=10&offset=0&options[limit]=10&options[id]=935&contentType=content_list&method=fetchById&options%5Boffset%5D=0&totalcount=20

frye

Both the Age of Ultron tie-ins of Assemble by Al Ewing and Butch Guice are surprisingly super great and worth reading!

Also this page is from 14 was one of my favourite things last year.
4vweTRH.jpg

That panel with Black Widow and (presumably?) Spider-woman, is pretty amazing. I love Guice, I just read the issue of Thor the other night that he drew, with Gorr's backstory in it. Brilliant stuff.

Vibranium

Banned

Hahaha why haven't I seen this before! I read the horrible Battle Scars mini (Yost what have you done??) through my sources, and nearly puked. This sums everything up with the shoehorning of Samuel L. Fury and Coulson well.

Someone email this to Alonso, the truth-bombs will make him wince.

Hahaha why haven't I seen this before! I read the horrible Battle Scars mini (Yost what have you done??) through my sources, and nearly puked. This sums everything up with the shoehorning of Samuel L. Fury and Coulson well.

Someone email this to Alonso, the truth-bombs will make him wince.

The fact that THIS is where they choose to resolve Orion from Secret Warriors too...*shakes head* why.

Threads like these will attract super enthusiasts so it's not surprising to see some high monthly expenditures. (I'm currently around $130) I also back issue hunt for certain comic runs so I'll have periodic bumps some months.

I've started to consider pruning some of my back issues on defunct series that I'm not as attached too. I'll keep my Voodoo run cause I absolutely love Basri's art but I don't need to keep Katana.

God damn it what is Sami Basri doing these days? Id buy literally anything he was doing.

I had to approximate a few averages (average price of trade, average release of 2 trades a year per series), but I figure that following around 30 reguar series by trade yearly, I'm spending £45/$75 (including tax) a month. Of course, some months I'll buy nothing then I'll like 15 trades. I'm not too horrified by that figure those, I figured it'd be much worse. 30 series has always felt like an acceptable number financially for me, with wiggle room for mini series and the like that come along. I doubt I'd ever want to exceed £60/$100 a month, so feel like I'm at a good spot.

Threads like these will attract super enthusiasts so it's not surprising to see some high monthly expenditures. (I'm currently around $130) I also back issue hunt for certain comic runs so I'll have periodic bumps some months.

I've started to consider pruning some of my back issues on defunct series that I'm not as attached too. I'll keep my Voodoo run cause I absolutely love Basri's art but I don't need to keep Katana.

God damn it what is Sami Basri doing these days? Id buy literally anything he was doing.

Basri iiiis the new regular artist coming onto Mind The Gap, alongside Rodin Esquejo, they'll alternate arcs. This is the new post issue 18 creative status, to keep the book on time and consistent. Basri has contributed/did a few earlier issues too, but this is the official team now. Probably a book you'd want to catch up on though if you start it, very plot driven.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
How much money do you make back when you resell it? It's interesting a lot of people spend $100. I can easily see how it gets that high but it feels kind of rich for my blood. :(

hahahahahahahaa

hahahahaha ahahaha hahahaahhahahaha haahahahhahahahah ahhahahaha haha

lol selling comics.

My friend, comics are a giant money hole for manbabies and idiots (myself fully included) to throw themselves and their wallets into. The secondary market is mostly an afterthought (great for picking up good deals on though as the manbabies accept defeat and sell a run for 1/4 of the cover price). We read comics for the love of it, and because we hate ourselves.

But really, if you go to the movies a few times a month you're spending a similar amount and you can't sell those back either.

My advice - read collections of the very best books in the industry and laugh at the insane people ITT (me included).

Messi

hahahahahahahaa

lol selling comics.

My friend, comics are a giant money hole for manbabies and idiots (myself fully included) to throw themselves and their wallets into. The secondary market is mostly an afterthought (great for picking up good deals on though as the manbabies accept defeat and sell a run for 1/4 of the cover price). We read comics for the love of it, and because we hate ourselves.

But really, if you go to the movies a few times a month you're spending a similar amount and you can't sell those back either.

My advice - read collections of the very best books in the industry and laugh at the insane people ITT (me included).

Ain't that the truth. Only crazies follow weeklies

hahahahahahahaa

hahaha. At least you know your vices man.

Guys. Looking at Marvel oversized Hardcovers. Out of their ongoing series right now, I see Superior Spidey, Daredevil, & Hawkeye are getting them already, with the new deadpool series jumping in soon. Any other OHCs being done of current marvel series?

wetwired

I had to come post this here as no one I know really cares but me, but my Lego Ghostbusters set got retweeted by Joe Hill, author of Locke and Key :D

Duncan Jones retweeted it too but he's not really comic related

/gushing

BIG LIST:

BAD BLOOD #2
BALTIMORE: CHAPEL OF BONES #2/2
BATMAN: BLACK & WHITE #6
BLACK WIDOW #3
FOREVER EVIL #5
FOREVER EVIL: ARKHAM WAR #5
GREEN ARROW #28
HINTERKIND #5 (probably wont pick this up, just dropped)
PUNISHER #1
MARVEL KNIGHTS: SPIDER-MAN #5/5
MS. MARVEL #1
REVELATIONS #2
ROVER RED CHARLIE #3 (maybe)
SINISTER DEXTER #3
TRILLIUM #6
TUROK: DINOSAUR HUNTER #1

Blink Me

hahahahahahahaa

lol selling comics.

I've just been giving my comics away to other people who want to read them or a charity shop. Too much hassle trying to sell them. And they take up too much space. The only comics I have which are worth anything are Beano and Dandy annuals//comics from the 1950's onwards. Got a few 1940's issues as well.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I've just been giving my comics away to other people who want to read them or a charity shop. Too much hassle trying to sell them. And they take up too much space. The only comics I have which are worth anything are Beano and Dandy annuals//comics from the 1950's onwards. Got a few 1940's issues as well.

Yeah I'd say that's perfect, especially if you know any kids or teens. Comics charity feels so good as well.

Unai

I'm looking at places online that I can import hard cover comic books from North America. Amazon shoud be the best place, right?

dan2026

I had to come post this here as no one I know really cares but me, but my Lego Ghostbusters set got retweeted by Joe Hill, author of Locke and Key :D

Duncan Jones retweeted it too but he's not really comic related

/gushing

That's awesome, Joe hill is such a great writer. Carrying on his father's legacy with style.

Messi

Might pick up the hardcovers of All new X-Men. Really enjoying this series. I love the past X-Men, iceman in particular makes me chuckle.

As a group who does comic gaf like more the X-Men or the Avengers? I like the X-Men But the Avengers have Thor.

Might pick up the hardcovers of All new X-Men. Really enjoying this series. I love the past X-Men, iceman in particular makes me chuckle.

As a group who does comic gaf like more the X-Men or the Avengers? I like the X-Men But the Avengers have Thor.

If we're talking flagships, we're talking Hickman vs Bendis right now, so Hickman every day man. Broader though, the x-books have Aaron and soon Latour working on them, while avengers has Remender and Spencer, make sit much more even. Right now, I'm really digging the avengers franchise and where Marvel have it. If you include Thor's solo within that, it isn't even a competition ;)

All that said, I have been pretty undecided about jumping on Bendis' x-men, simply because of a lot of complaints here about decompression/lack of happening. What's your thoughts on this MEssi, as someone digging it?

That's awesome, Joe hill is such a great writer. Carrying on his father's legacy with style.

Within the comics industry, for sure man. As a novelist, I find myself torn a little. When he does his own thing, I think he really excels, but when he apes his father, imo it just comes off a bit lacking, especially since he gravitates to stuff that's a bit more on the nose. I absolutely adore Horns though, I think it's a phenomenal novel.

dan2026

Thor is clearly the best, love Thor and his world.

However I prefer the X-men as a group. A lot of the time the Avengers roster is too loose.
I am enjoying Hickman's New Avengers though. The Illuminati is just plain cool.

Messi

If we're talking flagships, we're talking Hickman vs Bendis right now, so Hickman every day man. Broader though, the x-books have Aaron and soon Latour working on them, while avengers has Remender and Spencer, make sit much more even. Right now, I'm really digging the avengers franchise and where Marvel have it. If you include Thor's solo within that, it isn't even a competition ;)

All that said, I have been pretty undecided about jumping on Bendis' x-men, simply because of a lot of complaints here about decompression/lack of happening. What's your thoughts on this MEssi, as someone digging it?

I am really big on the school stuff and not so much on the stuff outside of it. The book has lots of people I like, kitty, Jean, iceman, wolverine, storm. But yeah the complaints about nothing really happening are somewhat justified. I'm 15 issues in an it seems to be simmering nicely but if they wait much longer to pay off that tension I'll lose interest. Also fuck all versions of Cyclops.

I want a Jean and Kitty team up book. Maybe add Rogue.

Would WATXM suit me better for school drama? Does it have the female X-Men I like?

I am really big on the school stuff and not so much on the stuff outside of it. The book has lots of people I like, kitty, Jean, iceman, wolverine, storm. But yeah the complaints about nothing really happening are somewhat justified. I'm 15 issues in an it seems to be simmering nicely but if they wait much longer to pay off that tension I'll lose interest. Also fuck all versions of Cyclops.

I want a Jean and Kitty team up book. Maybe add Rogue.

Cool ,thanks for that man. Have you tried Wood's x-men book btw? I'll assume you know about it, but it seems right up your alley haha. Wtf at the trade though, 4 issues.

Messi

Cool ,thanks for that man. Have you tried Wood's x-men book btw? I'll assume you know about it, but it seems right up your alley haha. Wtf at the trade though, 4 issues.

I am up to the issue before the Atom stuff but stopped to catch up in All new so as not to spoil it. Killed my momentum too lol. I am still buying it though. An all female X-Men team is up my alley. No risk of cyclops draining the life out of it.

ReiGun

DC should let me write Teen Titans. I can't do any worse than Lobdell.

I don't even want to be a full blown comic superstar. I just want more Titans and will do anything to get it.

I like the idea of the X-Men, but the characters themselves irritate me more often than not. So I'm rocking with the Avengers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom