• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2014. Another year of nothing will be the same ever again. EVER.

Status
Not open for further replies.
She's done some fantastic coloring on Zero as well, the icy blue metallic halls giving way to the warm red bathroom stalls

*censored for the kids

I hear she's on Warren Ellis/Declan Shalvey's Moon Knight, so that should look good, too
Yeah but probably only for the three isuess Shalvey is on it before he has to go draw Wolverine or something. If Marvel is moving to the season for,at they damn well better have consistent creative teams....

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Do you want to pick up some older stuff or are you looking for a good jumping on point for new material?

As for your girlfriend I'd suggest something like Saga or Fables. Fables is significantly longer but it has a lot of the issues collected in both hardback and paperback format. Saga is definitely one of the biggest and most popular comics out today, so if you start her with that she may get so into it that you'll be picking up monthly floppies for her soon :D

Just a heads upBarnes and Noble is having a Buy 2 Get 1 Free on DC/Marvel comics that ends tomorrow.

I was looking for either, I guess either some good arcs from the past year or some good jumping on points for new issues. Oh forgot to mention I also really liked Daredevil.

I'm on my way the comic book store right now after almost a year away from comics. I wanna pick up a few trades - any suggestions for what to get? As a barometer of what interests me, I was a huge fan of Secret Avengers, Brubaker Winter Soldier, Snyder Batman, and Snyder Swamp Thing a year ago. I quit right after the whole Court of Owls event, if that's any indication of timing.

Also I want to get my girlfriend a trade, and she's not at all into comics. What would you guys suggest that's good for someone who has never read a comic in their life? Something pretty easy to get into that preferably doesn't have too much backstory that she needs to know.

Yeah, definitely Saga for your girlfriend. It is notoriously the comic to buy for non comic readers. I personally have given it to a non comic readeing friend who read the first volume in one sitting.

This sounds so cool, thanks for sharing! You've definitely got me excited to read it. I picked up Abe Sapien #1 for $1 recently and found it to be very intriguing.

Haha, I actually had to cut my second paragraph way short as I was being called for dinner, so I'm glad the info was adequate, I didn't really get the time to properly gush about how nice the art is. The book really is good, if I had to try and separate myself from what I know too, I think it's probably the most welcoming book in the Mignolaverse right now, outside of that volume I wrote about a few months ago. Pickens County and others really gives a wide sampler of the Mignolaverse but this would be a great start point too. Flashbacks to Abe's origin might be a little hard to follow, but in general it's pretty vague anyway, I think they're still waiting to reveal more about that stuff.

I've read BPRD Vampire and At the mountains of Madness too the last few days so I might share thoughts on those if I can a chance to sit down for awhile tonight, if any of you guys are interested in hearing about those.

Also I want to get my girlfriend a trade, and she's not at all into comics. What would you guys suggest that's good for someone who has never read a comic in their life? Something pretty easy to get into that preferably doesn't have too much backstory that she needs to know.

I can say that my girlfriend really really loves Fables, American Vampire & Wonder Woman. She really liked I, Zombie while it was around too. I think if I had to recommend a book for non comics ppl these days it would be between AmVamp, Locke and Key or maybe Sweet Tooth. Stretching back a bit, the no brainer is Y the Last man (which my girlfriend loves too now I think about it)

Owzers

I can't break my desire to read continuity comics. Maybe my local church has some type of continuity therapy i can enroll in. Forget about new year resolutions to stop reading bad books, put Forever Evil #5 right into my hands.

Ephidel

Am I to assume that Marvel forgot about Faridah from Cornell's Captain Britain run?
If you mean Faiza then she was in Gambit and Avengers Assemble #15AU last year so they do still know she exists.
4Fn4i9R.png

nGy7W9E.png
Erm, yes, so that happened.
Better!

AA15AU was actually a really good issue and it's both a very good thing and a terrible shame that it was relegated to 'and it never happened so nobody will ever mention it again'
9LQQrs0.png

I can't break my desire to read continuity comics. Maybe my local church has some type of continuity therapy i can enroll in. Forget about new year resolutions to stop reading bad books, put Forever Evil #5 right into my hands.

Just go whole hog in on the Hellboy/BPRD universe man haha you get it all. The long history, but not too long and not too many books, the shared world status quo and certain characters, but super tight editorial running the ship and keeping it all golden. I'm honestly surprised more of you guys who love the big two don't read the mignolaverse, you get all the positives of super focused creator driven books with the positives of larger than life heroes who all live in a shared world, reflecting each other, and real real consequences, absolute legit world shattering events, characters who truly stay dead and so on. Some of the artists working on the books these days too, from Duncan Fegredo, Lawrence Campbell, James Harren the Fiumara brothers, Tonci Zonjic, it's incredible.

Owzers

Just go whole hog in on the Hellboy/BPRD universe man haha you get it all. The long history, but not too long and not too many books, the shared world status quo and certain characters, but super tight editorial running the ship and keeping it all golden. I'm honestly surprised more of you guys who love the big two don't read the mignolaverse, you get all the positives of super focused creator driven books with the positives of larger than life heroes who all live in a shared world, reflecting each other, and real real consequences, absolute legit world shattering events, characters who truly stay dead and so on. Some of the artists working on the books these days too, from Duncan Fegredo, Lawrence Campbell, James Harren the Fiumara brothers, Tonci Zonjic, it's incredible.

Needs more Black Adam Xo I have all 6 volumes of Hellboy Library Edition in my backlog and the first Plague of Frogs BPRD Omnibus.

Can't read them though, i have to read all the bad books i've bought first. And there are so many.

Acid08

Banned
Pretty disappointed by that best of December list.

Also dudes hating on Pulido and Aja, puhleaze. Guess the Jim Lee knockoffs are enough for y'all.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I have no idea how this week's New Avengers tied into inhumanity, all I know is they are royally fucked.

Thanks for another great OT, Spike! And thanks for calculating the votes for "the best" of December. The We Are The Champions segment is fun to anticipate and bicker over.

Pretty disappointed by that best of December list.

Also dudes hating on Pulido and Aja, puhleaze. Guess the Jim Lee knockoffs are enough for y'all.

While no one can dispute the success of Gorillas in comic books; They pale in comparison to Harley. It was also time for Marvel to disappear into obscurity where it belongs, so their absence from the list is quite appropriate
If only

Jim Lee knockoffs are at least capable of facial expressions. Looking into the soulless eyes of She-Hulk was like pulling back from the edge of the abyss.

Happy New Years, brah.

Who were the sloping forehead david finch reading neanderthals who voted for Harley as best of the month

show yourselves so that we may mock you openly for your taste in comic books

Tizoc

If you mean Faiza then she was in Gambit and Avengers Assemble #15AU last year so they do still know she exists.

Erm, yes, so that happened.

Better!

AA15AU was actually a really good issue and it's both a very good thing and a terrible shame that it was relegated to 'and it never happened so nobody will ever mention it again'
9LQQrs0.png
My bad I meant Faiza, mixed her name up ^^;

Needs more Black Adam Xo I have all 6 volumes of Hellboy Library Edition in my backlog and the first Plague of Frogs BPRD Omnibus.

Can't read them though, i have to read all the bad books i've bought first. And there are so many.

I laughed haha. Well let me know how you dig that stuff when you finally get through them. Word of warning though, the first Plague Of Frogs omnibus is okay but doesn't nearly indicate the quality of 2,3 & 4. Inside of omnibus 1, is volumes 1, 2 & 3 of BPRD. The first story "Hollow Earth" and the third volume which kicks off plague of frogs are great but volume 2 "The soul of Venice and others" is just things they had done with a few different writers while they were figuring out what they really wanted to do with BPRD. One of them is good, the rest I'm not a big fan of. The very first story, Hollow Earth is great though and once the series properly settles into the Mignola/Arcudi/Davis team it is unbelievable though. Every one of those Hellboy books though = golden.

Dysun

Just spent the last week diving into my DC Comics backlog, read through Trinity War/Forever Evil (and assorted tie-ins)

1) What's the consensus on who might be the hooded man from Earth 3? Luthor seems a bit too obvious, but the Joker is already out of the picture and not sure who else would fit the bill.
2) Same as above, but the "Alien creature" that caused them to leave Earth 3? Anti-Monitor or something else that might lead into the next mega-event?
3) Sinestro's appearance in the fourth issue? Seeing as how Volthoom's name got dropped in the Power Ring back story and how he originated from another universe I have to imagine Johns is connecting his First Lantern stuff to this reappearance.
4) Superwoman's backstory being mysteriously deleted and playing both Ultraman and Owlman, seems like the true wild card to me.

Villain's Month The Rogues, and Rogues Rebellion are pretty damn good, I wish they would get their own book spinning out of this.

Zero Year, and Lights Out next.

If Pulido was put on a Legion relaunch, you'd buy it happily.

Eh. There is a difference between "having a book" and "liking a book". Yeah, obviously I'd take the worst fan fiction Legion so long as it existed. I'd support literally anything with Legion in it. But that doesn't change my personal tastes in art style. I've long since said that the styles of individuals like Aja and Allred just aren't what I enjoy. Pulido is in that same vein. As it is an art taste I'm not really going to dwell and harp on it, though I do admit, I will be paying attention to the success of something like She-Hulk. She kind of gives me the same sort of vibes that Power Girl does.

I don't know if my vote counted because I sent it after the deadline,

BUT, I didn't vote for any of those.

I wouldn't be surprised if issue #1's continued to dominate these rankings.

A New Year and I'm ready to dig into some good comics, I do have a question about Comixology if anyone could assist: I used the app on the kindle fire and bought comics through amazon, now that I have switched to an apple device, my comics are in limbo. They are not attached to a comixology account and they don't show up in the kindle app, is there a way to retrieve them?

kswiston

I don't know if my vote counted because I sent it after the deadline,

BUT, I didn't vote for any of those.

I wouldn't be surprised if issue #1's continued to dominate these rankings.

We are a microcosm of the Comics Industry in general. Soon Spike will have to provide Chromium variant OPs to keep our interest.

tim1138

In light of the series ending in March, I decided to go back and re-read Lemire's Animal Man run to date. As much as I like Steve Pugh's art, I really feel like the book lost something when he took over for Travel Foreman. Maybe it was just that Pugh came on when it started to spin its wheels waiting for Snyder to catch up for the god awful RotWorld crossover, but those first five issues where it was Lemire and Foreman were top notch comics. It'll be interesting to see if RotWorld is as bad as I remember it, I'm really not looking forward to reading those issues again. Regardless of how the series wraps up, it never hit the highs of Morrison's godly run, but at the very least was a consistently good read pre and post RotWorld.

man Finch sucks, I didn't go to the store last week or yesterday because I don't want to pick up Forever Mehvil

That X-factor and Black widow double ship is gonna fuck me up even more..is She-hulk gonna Marvel ship also? assholes
maybe I could trade wait like Hawkeye

arkon

The Rotworld stuff just went on for too long. Even before they were officially in crossover territory Too many issues where they were spinning their wheels. The same problem I had with Demon Knights really (why I dropped it after issue 4) and some other new 52 series that I tried..

Owzers

A New Year and I'm ready to dig into some good comics, I do have a question about Comixology if anyone could assist: I used the app on the kindle fire and bought comics through amazon, now that I have switched to an apple device, my comics are in limbo. They are not attached to a comixology account and they don't show up in the kindle app, is there a way to retrieve them?

EDIT: I misread that....that sounds strange though that they aren't showing up in your kindle ios app.

I'm cleaning up the place and i dug out my small box of childhood comics from the late 80s/early 90s. Worthless stuff? Warlock and the Infinity? Punisher/Venom Pyre mini? Teenage Mutant Turtles issues?

I feel like i've asked this before...but i'm one step away from donating my memories in book form.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
In light of the series ending in March, I decided to go back and re-read Lemire's Animal Man run to date. As much as I like Steve Pugh's art, I really feel like the book lost something when he took over for Travel Foreman. Maybe it was just that Pugh came on when it started to spin its wheels waiting for Snyder to catch up for the god awful RotWorld crossover, but those first five issues where it was Lemire and Foreman were top notch comics. It'll be interesting to see if RotWorld is as bad as I remember it, I'm really not looking forward to reading those issues again. Regardless of how the series wraps up, it never hit the highs of Morrison's godly run, but at the very least was a consistently good read pre and post RotWorld.

These are my exact feelings as well. Lemire and Foreman has a unified vision for Animal Man and it really showed right off the bat. There was such a creepiness to Foreman's art that I feel was and is vital for the series but there were still great family moments with the Bakers. I sincerely think that Snyder was able to wrangle Lemire into doing a BIG EVENT CROSSOVER maybe in the hopes of bringing attention to Lemire's writing at DC but all it did was destroy everything that was actually intriguing about the series.

It makes me fucking mad reading the current issues of Animan. Like, the most recent was trash. It introduced the goofiest plot element and just adds even more layers of nonsensical bullshit to the red, green, rot, spinach, brown whateverthefuck bad world-building bullshit they're forcing into the comic.

tim1138

These are my exact feelings as well. Lemire and Foreman has a unified vision for Animal Man and it really showed right off the bat. There was such a creepiness to Foreman's art that I feel was and is vital for the series but there were still great family moments with the Bakers. I sincerely think that Snyder was able to wrangle Lemire into doing a BIG EVENT CROSSOVER maybe in the hopes of bringing attention to Lemire's writing at DC but all it did was destroy everything that was actually intriguing about the series.

It makes me fucking mad reading the current issues of Animan. Like, the most recent was trash. It introduced the goofiest plot element and just adds even more layers of nonsensical bullshit to the red, green, rot, spinach, brown whateverthefuck bad world-building bullshit they're forcing into the comic.

It absolutely blows my mind that Foreman is not doing regular work. It has to be by choice right? He has such a great art style.

Kwixotik

I just bought Saga of the Swamp Thing vol. 1 (Alan Moore)

I notice it begins when Alan Moore took over writing, at issue 20. Do I need to have read the previous issues to understand what's going on?

I notice it begins when Alan Moore took over writing, at issue 20. Do I need to have read the previous issues to understand what's going on?

nope

in fact, considering the now legendary #21 has a big-ass retcon and sweeps aside most of the supporting cast, its best you just start there

I read over a lot of snooty best of comics 2013 lists and along the way ran into a few web comics. I don't read comics online usually but there were a few I discovered via these lists that I thought I'd share here.

First up is Haunter. It's a short, wordless story about a hunter who discovers a temple and upsets an ancient something in the process. It's beautifully coloured and I greatly enjoyed the art, overall. Haunter is hosted at a website called Student Group Comics, which is home to many interesting-looking series. On the site I also enjoyed the first part of a series called Eat Eat Eat.

Next is Emily Carroll's Out of Skin. It's creepy and atmospheric and really quite wonderful. Carroll is growing a reputation for her comics and has a number of them available on her website.

I should also mention that the great Michael DeForge has a couple of websites on which he consistantly posts his wonderfully weird series.

All of these terrific comics are completely free, of course. Haunter and Out of Skin are groovy little scroll down dealies. Don't even have to press "next" for goodness' sakes.

frye

#20 ("Loose Ends") actually used to be omitted from the collections because even though it's Moore, it's him finishing the previous writer's storyline. 21 is the definitive scorched-earth-fuck-everything issue where Everything You Knew Was Wrong and is where it "really" starts.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
It absolutely blows my mind that Foreman is not doing regular work. It has to be by choice right? He has such a great art style.

It's so damn unique and he has a such a talent for twisted designs. I reckon him and Scott Snyder could do a great horror comic.

When the new 52 began, there were so many incredible artists that I got exposed to but Foreman definitely pulled to the front of the "oh shit, this is dope" group along with Capullo, Gleason, and Alberto Ponticelli.

vocab

Whats the word on Fatale and Revival? They sound awesome, and I might check them out.

Thing's i'm checking out for sure when the volumes come out are: Zero, Velvet, and maybe Rat Queens.

Messi

Whats the word on Fatale and Revival? They sound awesome, and I might check them out.

Thing's i'm checking out for sure when the volumes come out are: Zero, Velvet, and definitely Rat Queens and SAGA.

Fixed that for you :p

Also I read the first volume of Revival and it was great.

Messi

I'm already on board for Saga. Loved the first volume, and the second one was really good, and ended on a good note. I see some praise for Rat Queens but I don't know!

I really like Rat Queens. Its light and makes me chuckle (<3 Betty). You could do a lot worse. They are using the awesome Fiona Staples variant cover from #1 for the trade and the interior art is beautiful. One of my most looked forward to books each month.

Owzers

Fatale is good, but Brubaker is moving the overall plot too slowly for me. It's definitely a quality book though.

Revival, compared to Fatale, is a bit more direct and throws a bunch of stuff at you, i like it so far 11 issues in.

Both are worth checking out.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I hope Dark Horse have plans for some BPRD library editions. I'd be all over those.

I wouldn't be hopeful. They already did the bigger hardcovers for the Plague of Frogs stuff, not sure they'd just upgrade those to the deluxe library quality.

The guys involved say that any big collections for Hell on Earth are a long ways off because they don't know how best to reorganize the series. I was just looking all this up, it sounds like nothing beyond the TPBs are in store until Hell on Earth wraps up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom