• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2014. Another year of nothing will be the same ever again. EVER.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tim1138

I'd love to see Liefeld's take on that promo piece.

Look no further than his Twitter account, he's stoked. All the guy does is shill for Deadpool.

It's hilarious when he tweets at Fox begging for them to make the Deadpool movie. The best PR Marvel never paid for!

I read Sage volume 2, y'all, and I loved it to bits. The way you folks been talking about Saga though I'm worried my taste has fallen to an all new Harley Quinn #1 low.

Saga is still fun to read even when the story isn't moving forward much. I've been enjoying it still and you know my taste isn't Harley Quinn #1 bad.

I am juuuust about to sit down and read volume 2. Spent the day lazily reading volume 1 again and damn, what a good book. Some of the stuff is a bit on the nose but it doesn't seem like he picked any of the plot points or whatever to be flashy, it just seems like it turned out that way, so I can forgive it.

To ComicGAF:

Every so often I get the urge to buy some comics but I usually don't go through with it because every time I do buy some, I finish them and then I don't have anywhere to put them. This time I think I was going to go ahead and get them digitally for my ipad.

Can anyone recommend me which service I should go through? I've looked into Marvel Universe, which seems like the best value to me since I'd love to go through older comics but without being able to see their library, even in titles, the price tag seems like it would be too high. I find it nice that they have "13,000+ comics!" available but without seeing titles available, I can't really pull the trigger.

Comixology looks like a good bet as well, but I was hoping for something similar to the "Pay X amount and be able to read from this large collection" much like Marvel is offering.

Can anyone speak to the quality of these services? Should I go ahead and get Marvel's service through the nominal fee, possibly with getting it for 1 month, see how I like it and then decide? Or should I stick to services where I pick and choose for a few bucks per issue but have to buy each one individually?

Can anyone speak to the quality of these services? Should I go ahead and get Marvel's service through the nominal fee, possibly with getting it for 1 month, see how I like it and then decide? Or should I stick to services where I pick and choose for a few bucks per issue but have to buy each one individually?

Marvel Unlimited has a great library, but a really bad reader. Comixology's reader is miles better, but books are more expensive although there are often great deals available, and the bundles are good if you want a complete run.

Tizoc

Aight I am ready to start my Hellboy+BPRD re-reading. This time I'll be reading the Abe Sapien series which I hadn't read until the new Abe series started publishing recently.

I'm a sucker for Art Adams Mojo, even though I know he's not drawing the annual

3544773-w+uncanny_avengers_annual_art_adams_cover.jpg

/rafastyle

Tizoc

I've wanted to read the Hellboy-verse stuff forever, but it's a bit daunting between Hellboy, BPRD, and Abe Sapien (and anything else I missed). Where in the world do you start?

Help Benjamin, you're my only hope!
Allow me!
Read Hellboy up til Vol. 5 which IIRC is titled Conqueror Worm.
From there you can start reading BPRD and alternating between it and Hellboy.
Use this to help you as a reading guide my amigo
http://hellboy.wikia.com/wiki/Trade_Paperback_Collections

To ComicGAF:

Every so often I get the urge to buy some comics but I usually don't go through with it because every time I do buy some, I finish them and then I don't have anywhere to put them. This time I think I was going to go ahead and get them digitally for my ipad.

Can anyone recommend me which service I should go through? I've looked into Marvel Universe, which seems like the best value to me since I'd love to go through older comics but without being able to see their library, even in titles, the price tag seems like it would be too high. I find it nice that they have "13,000+ comics!" available but without seeing titles available, I can't really pull the trigger.

Comixology looks like a good bet as well, but I was hoping for something similar to the "Pay X amount and be able to read from this large collection" much like Marvel is offering.

I have the same questions. Also, is the Image Comics Store a good choice? I have read they sell DRM-free titles.

I've wanted to read the Hellboy-verse stuff forever, but it's a bit daunting between Hellboy, BPRD, and Abe Sapien (and anything else I missed). Where in the world do you start?

Help me BenjaminBirdie, you're my only hope!

Allow me!

You certainly could do that, but it's not entirely necessarily. Post Conquerer Worm, you could really read straight through Hellboy to present, or the same with BPRD. They certain make up two halves of one world, and it's especially rewarding to see all the lore stuff click into place between the two, but I read them alternating the first time and it can kind of heavy. Now when I read re-read them, I tend to go up to volume 5 of Hellboy then just pick one and go right through, then do the other. There's nothing particularly spoilerly in either post HB vol. 5 that would give the game away as to major plot points or anything in the other book. It's all absolutely fantastic though.

Technically, if you wanted to just start somewhere present day, the Abe series or Pickens County Horror, imo, are good spots, but if you're wanting to do it all in order, do not read Abe until you're all the way up to date on trades.

Tizoc

You certainly could do that, but it's not entirely necessarily. Post Conquerer Worm, you could really read straight through Hellboy to present, or the same with BPRD. They certain make up two halves of one world, and it's especially rewarding to see all the lore stuff click into place between the two, but I read them alternating the first time and it can kind of heavy. Now when I read re-read them, I tend to go up to volume 5 of Hellboy then just pick one and go right through, then do the other. It's all absolutely fantastic though.

Technically, if you wanted to just start somewhere present day, the Abe series or Pickens County Horror, imo, are good spots, but if you're wanting to do it all in order, do not read Abe until you're all the way up to date on trades.

Or that~
Way I'll go about it is read all of Hellboy then jump into BPRD and afterwards Abe Sapien.

Or that~
Way I'll go about it is read all of Hellboy then jump into BPRD and afterwards Abe Sapien.

Not trying to be clever man, like I said, I did do the proper chronological reading the first time. I love though how the Mignolaverse certainly exists side by side, book to book, but the ways they cross over and reflect each other never crosses into "Well if you read this first, it would ruin who died in this!" It's all quite safe to read in their own bubbles, but then once you've read it all and look at the big picture, how fucking illuminating it all is.

And don't forget Lobster Johnson too guys. The two witchfinder volumes are fine, some nice little bits here and there from the first book that came back in recently, but they're probably the most eh of everything. Lobster is absolutely great though and you can pretty much sit down and read em all after Hellboy volume 5, or maybe a bit into BPRD if you prefer.

tim1138

Not trying to be clever man, like I said, I did do the proper chronological reading the first time, that link you provided is perfect for that and very much correct. I love though how the Mignolaverse certainly exists side by side, book to book, but the ways they cross over and reflect each other never crosses into "Well if you read this first, it would ruin who died in this!" It's all quite safe to read in their own bubbles, but then once you've read it all and look at the big picture, how fucking illuminating it all is.

And don't forget Lobster Johnson too guys. The two witchfinder volumes are fine, some nice little bits here and there from the first book that came back in recently, but they're probably the most eh of everything. Lobster is absolutely great though and you can pretty much sit down and read em all after Hellboy volume 5, or maybe a bit into BPRD if you prefer.

The library only has volume 1 of Lobster Johnson. How many are there?

Allow me!

Yup. What he said.

The "alternating between BPRD and Hellboy" may seem a smidge tricky if you're looking at a comic book store shelf of trades, but in reality, the two are extraordinarily distinct, so if you even wanted to just read through all of Hellboy and then all of BPRD from that spot, you really could. They only make the most cursory of glances to each other.

Plague of Frogs, I'd recommend reading it in the big green HCs. Hell on Earth is a bit trickier, but the trades are pretty well divided and then once you get caught up, you'll find the monthly books are now very well designed to be read easily (which they didn't used to be).

The library only has volume 1 of Lobster Johnson. How many are there?

Two right now, the next one is out in February man. Volume one helps build a big part of BPRD lore that comes along later, as well as setting up stuff for the Sledgehammer 44 series that is coming out in trade next year. Just direct LB after Hellboy volume 5 and you'll get those "ahhhhh" moments when you read it before or after the stuff with him in BPRD.

Owzers

To ComicGAF:

Marvel Unlimited subs tend to go on sale every year at some point, last time i bought one in March i think for $47. If you haven't read a lot of Marvel comics, it's entirely worth it as they have full runs of a lot of amazing books like Astonishing X-Men, Immortal Iron Fist, Millar's Ultimates, Runaways, Nextwave, and tons of other stuff. Their updates can be spotty, sometimes there are gaps that are annoying, but the ipad app works well for single page viewing ( it's broken on Android) and i am enjoying it still despite having read most previous books because each week there is a few issues i want to read of newer material.

For digital by the issue, i tend to go where the sales take me. Amazon Kindle has great deals right now on books, Comixology is running a sale on valiant titles through their website ( everything is readable on all devices if purchased from comixology) along with DC Greatness select trade collections ( Definitely get All Star Superman 1-12for $6, Amazon kindle has Final Crisis for $4).

The Comixology dc sale ends today, compare prices with amazon as only a few are cheaper there, but buy stuff. All Star Superman!

tim1138

Two right now, the next one is out in February man. Volume one helps build a big part of BPRD lore that comes along later, as well as setting up stuff for the Sledgehammer 44 series that is coming out in trade next year. Just direct LB after Hellboy volume 5 and you'll get those "ahhhhh" moments when you read it before or after the stuff with him in BPRD.

I'll save the LJ stuff then, as it looks like they have everything else that's been mentioned.

I see Fatale is getting a deluxe HC of vol 1 and 2 in March. I'll probably get that.

I knoooow. I just bought volume 3 last week, if I'd seen this before (spotted it a few days back), I'd probably have just held off and went HC altogether. At this point, I'll liked buy and read 4 as well, then go total HC after I get the HC for that. I keep contemplating ditching all my Morning Glories and Chew tpbs for the HCs but you just never know with Image. Sometimes they come, sometimes they don't, and by the time you've found out, you already bought three trades.

I'll save the LJ stuff then, as it looks like they have everything else that's been mentioned.

Sounds good man, I can't wait to hear peoples thoughts on this stuff, it's the noe thing that never gets the chat around here and they are my favourite books, so I'd love for peeps to get into it. Trying to think, we covered most bases between us all in the last page or two. Abe Sapien volumes 1 and 2 are just made up of various minis so don't have to worry much about them, just read em whenever you get to it. The BPRD 1940s series are really good, but again, really no big deal when you read them, just make sure to read those in order in their little bubble(1946/7/8 then Vampire).

This is a super amazing time to jump in too because eveen when you've caught up, if you wanted to stay trade, there are literally 7 trades coming in the next 7 months (although that includes a Baltimore volume) which I just find incredible as a tradewaiter. A book every month but trade sized, best of all worlds.

I read Cable and X-Force #1 because for some reason, I really needed to read something with Cable in it. It was... standard. like not even bad or good, it was just there. I'm sure later issues have all the Cable asskickery i was looking for, but #1 wasn't particularly interesting. Does it get better?

I read Cable and X-Force #1 because for some reason, I really needed to read something with Cable in it. It was... standard. like not even bad or good, it was just there. I'm sure later issues have all the Cable asskickery i was looking for, but #1 wasn't particularly interesting. Does it get better?

Yes surprisingly so

suffah

Does maths and stuff
Been going through a lot of Best of 2013 lists (I know) to see what I missed and noticed these books pop up frequently:

Mind MGMT (sold out at my LCS)
Trillium
Sweet Tooth (mainly from GAF threads)
Buzzkill (Just read it, awesome)

So, these are worth tracking down?

Been going through a lot of Best of 2013 lists (I know) to see what I missed and noticed these books pop up frequently:

Trillium

Sweet Tooth is amazing and everyone should read it. Trillium, I've been underwhelmed by.

Tizoc

Lobster Johnson is freakin' awesome, you don't even need to know anything about the Hellboy verse to enjoy it.
If you like pulp era stories you're gonna love this series.

Trillium

Sweet Tooth is fantastic. If you're interested in Lemire's stuff Sweet Tooth and Essex County are his two best works.

gerg

Ugh, I'm feeling the regret of a purchase...

I decided to buy Dark Satanic Mills, simply because it looked cool and I like to support independent creators. But I'm three chapters in and I'm really not enjoying it - I probably should have paid attention to the cover quote, but I don't exactly feel that I need another overt attack on organised religion in my library.

Given this, anyone have any recommendations for recently-published self-contained graphic novels to pick up? Alternatively, I might finally get Black Hole, as I've been meaning to read that for a while.

I've been searching high and low for Deathstroke The Terminator 6-9.

http://www.comicvine.com/deathstroke-the-terminator-6-city-of-assassins-par/4000-89446/

No recent wiki edits to this page.

City of Assassins: Part 1 of 4. "Revelations and Revolutions!" Batman cameo. Someone is assassinating mob bosses in Gotham City. Deathstroke intends to find out who. The only problem is Gotham is the home of the Dark Knight, and he doesn't take kindly to a wanted murderer running around his city.

Finally found all 4 for 9 bucks plus shipping. Can't wait. Can't believe none of this run was collected.

JEKKI

any good run on Thunderbolts other than the Warren Ellis stuff?

his run is on sale at the google play sale, but I've heard some buzz about this series before and am wondering if I should put any more of it on my radar

his run is on sale at the google play sale, but I've heard some buzz about this series before and am wondering if I should put any more of it on my radar
I'm reading the first three trades of Thunderbolts Classic and I recommend them. I like them a lot actually.

Jeff Parker's run was really good. It was tuned into dark avengers at some point

Owzers

I finished off my last x-men books that i ordered, X-Men 7 and 8 from Woods. They were decent despite me not being that interested. Woods made a point that this isn't a true "team" , just a bunch of all female x-men, and it does feel a little random. I could do without Storm or Rachel in these issues.

kswiston

I finished off my last x-men books that i ordered, X-Men 7 and 8 from Woods. They were decent despite me not being that interested. Woods made a point that this isn't a true "team" , just a bunch of all female x-men, and it does feel a little random. I could do without Storm or Rachel in these issues.

What comics do you still enjoy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom