• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| July 2017 | Princess, I've Seen the Way You Look At Me.

Messi

Generally curious how's his work on younger characters

XMen_BattleOfTheAtom_1_VariantCho.jpg

His covers aren't bad, it's the sketch covers. But if you google the sketch covers you will see how many he has done and of you knew the price you would know why he continues to do it lol

IrishNinja

I love Mark Waid, so I'll buy that book.

same
hearing coates is on deck sounds fantastic too, despite some in OT not digging his panther run somehow

That are missing complete sets of Invincible and Usagi.... Disgusting.

i would legit trade any invincible books i have for usagi ones

You will get all new all different Avengers by Waid and Asrar and you'll like it. Because that's what we all asked for.

i adore waid but does he still shine on team books? feels like ive enjoyed single character stuff from him more in recent years

Good lord Facebook comments on Marvel posts are depressing. SJW this, SJW that. Fucking juvenile.

Superhero comics/movies fans complaining about SJWs will always be hilarious to me.

The irony must be too thick for them because most superhero characters would be characterized as SJWs themselves.

its crazy. SJW is the new catch-all for things you dont like, like "hipster" but with the special bonus of saying you don't care for anything that doesn't pander to white males too

i mean, go read stan's early responses in the bullpen page, go look up what siegel & shuster were on about. comics were fucking born of social justice power fantasy shit.

ugh...i want marvel to stop shitting on its fans but at the same time, some fans need to be shat on. like the gg element in gaming side, it's nothing but trash.

The fact that she is doubling down hard is leaving me baffled.

that's the MO though, you gotta double down to really own it when you're a garbage person

The fact Marvel tries to sell it as the next volume of the Fraction-era run in their previews etc is really sad. Such a bad book.

i think that's why i haven't been able to give the book a fair shot - that's 100% what they're going for on the surface/marketing but not what the book does

Messi

Sadly no, Waids great solo work isn't carried over to team books. Constantly reading for the artists and little else.

I agree on Cho , but his Harley covers have been so on point that I can't help myself. This is the newest and I love how he draws her.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Is this big guy supposed to be a Prehistoric Hulk or Starbrand (yeah, he is called Starbrand, I know, but still).
Hulk is always my first though when I see him.

Dunno. Not 100% hooked on this idea since I am not a fan of this poetry, it rhymes stuff, but it feels like this could end in a big, long running arc in the vein of Hickmann and Aaron is usually someone who can pull of stuff good.

Sandfox

Now that Marvel has revealed the 1,000,000 B.C. Avengers, they've turned to asking questions about what "Legacy" means for the publisher's modern line. In a release, Marvel has posed six questions that will presumably be answered in Marvel Legacy #1 - the answers for some of which may be tied to the 1,000,000 B.C. Avengers themselves.

Here are the questions:

Who sent the call from Planet Hulk?
What is hunting for the Infinity Stones?
Where in the world is Captain America?
When will Thor fight the war of realms?
Why does Jean Grey journey to Canada?
How has the body of Iron Man disappeared?

Along with these questions, Marvel released an image of the assembled 1,000,000 B.C. Avengers, seen above. Marvel Legacy #1 is due out on shelves September 27.

Sandfox

So Jean is going to Canada...hmm...

The only Canadian hero I can think of with ties to the X-Men is Deadpool, but he doesn't have a connection to Jean...

Aaron knows humans didn't exist in this form that far back, right?
They have Odin and a dude with a skull head riding a Mammoth so I try to focus on how realistic it is.

oh shit its a Jason Aaron joint? :eek:

edit: Aaron AND Riibic? o_O
Aaron and Ribic(The artist for Secret Wars).

Sadly no, Waids great solo work isn't carried over to team books. Constantly reading for the artists and little else.

I agree on Cho , but his Harley covers have been so on point that I can't help myself. This is the newest and I love how he draws her.

Cho is great at drawing curvy and muscular women. It's great cheesecake.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Literally 800K+ years with zero progress from that point for humanity. Compared to mutants that's just weird.
Maybe they will ackowledge this in the books, and maybe even Bleeding Cool will talk about it, so you can complain about the explanation after the book released

caliph95

So Jean is going to Canada...hmm...

The only Canadian hero I can think of with ties to the X-Men is Deadpool, but he doesn't have a connection to Jean...

They have Odin and a dude with a skull head riding a Mammoth so I try to focus on how realistic it is.

Aaron and Ribic(The artist for Secret Wars).
I guess Alpha flight doesn't exist

IrishNinja

any of you guys have any bucket writers/artists you're hoping to meet at a con one day? there's guys like Moore, Ennis etc that have nearly 0 chance, but ive missed Waid every time he's hit south florida. this weekend's supercon, im hoping to grab prints from Mike Zeck & maybe Jim Shooter.

I wasn't being serious, but I did forget about them lol.

didn't marvel as well?

Sandfox

any of you guys have any bucket writers/artists you're hoping to meet at a con one day? there's guys like Moore, Ennis etc that have nearly 0 chance, but ive missed Waid every time he's hit south florida. this weekend's supercon, im hoping to grab prints from Mike Zeck & maybe Jim Shooter.

didn't marvel as well?

Alpha Flight is a part of Carol's book.

Amanda Conner and Mike Mignola

Still upset I missed Conner's appearance at Tate's years ago. I was stuck at work FML

I'm hesitant to jump on the Morrison sequel to Arkham Asylum now. I really do not like Chris Burnham art at all and it's a down grade compared to the original artist.

IrishNinja

Amanda Conner and Mike Mignola

Still upset I missed Conner's appearance at Tate's years ago. I was stuck at work FML

oh man, Mignola's a perfect one - does he still do cons? wonder if ive even missed him out this way

and Tate's, you must be local! you doing supercon? wish theyd bring it back to the beach, was easier to catch a lyft there, haha. anyway, i got excited seeing the Jark Kirby museum's gonna have something there this weekend.

oh man, Mignola's a perfect one - does he still do cons? wonder if ive even missed him out this way.

He actually did some seminar-y type talks and appearances last November in Leeds, would have loved to have went to something like that. Think it may have been thought bubble affiliated.

VanWinkle

Sometimes I look at my collection and see the 52 Omnibus, and I still can't believe there was a comic with THIS as the creative team.

RJOE.jpg

Insane.

Wanderer5

I should really finish 52 sometime lol, cause yeah, that is one heck of a creative team, and it is definitely very good from what I had read.

$6 for the first volume of 52 on comixology, hm pretty good deal on that.

Sometimes I look at my collection and see the 52 Omnibus, and I still can't believe there was a comic with THIS as the creative team.

http://i.pi.gy/RJOE.jpg[/IMG

Insane.[/QUOTE]
What's also interesting is I'd say most people didn't really love it much as it was coming out. I think the weekly format and how the stories were structured really threw readers for a loop. Plus's the creators themselves learned a lot as it went along and they changed it up. It started off saying it'd be about filling in the one year later gap but that got scrapped pretty quickly and they just made great stories instead

I liked it when reading it weekly and it's a series that has grown more fondly when it finished and over time. Especially when D.C. Tried again for countdown and others and failed miserably

jackdoe

What's also interesting is I'd say most people didn't really love it much as it was coming out. I think the weekly format and how the stories were structured really threw readers for a loop. Plus's the creators themselves learned a lot as it went along and they changed it up. It started off saying it'd be about filling in the one year later gap but that got scrapped pretty quickly and they just made great stories instead

I liked it when reading it weekly and it's a series that has grown more fondly when it finished and over time. Especially when D.C. Tried again for countdown and others and failed miserably
Haha, Countdown still cracks me up. It was supposed to be "52 done right" according to DiDio. Trinity wasn't great either, but I actually liked Batman Eternal.

caliph95

Haha, Countdown still cracks me up. It was supposed to be "52 done right" according to DiDio. Trinity wasn't great either, but I actually liked Batman Eternal.
from what I understand it only in the case that editord get more power

good thing Morrison ignore all that shot for FC

I don't know what to read first. Abe Sapien or Rucka's Punisher run. Choose for me GAF.

Also, come up with a witty title for the August OT, preferably Thanos-related.

Look Messi! I am crowdsourcing!

VanWinkle

How good is it? Somebody convince me to buy volume one on CMX right now.

It's great. It's probably the most consistent weekly series ever, since there was the same writing team the whole time, and Giffen did breakdowns on every single issue. It's definitely a love letter to the DCU. There are arcs going on with Renee Montoya (The Question), Ralph Dibny (The Elongated Man), Supergirl, Detective Chimp, Dr. Fate, Black Adam, Animal Man/Starfire/Adam Strange/Lobo (what a combo there), Booster Gold, John Henry Irons (Steel), The Metal Men, etc. THERE'S SO MUCH GOING ON. But they never focus on all these different arcs every issue. They give them time to breathe.

Top Bottom