• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2013. Nothing can stop the Juggernaut! ...except E3 BREAKING NEWS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bendis, Miller, Brubaker Runs are all great I'd also add Waid's current run. Start with Bendis then Brubaker for contemporary DD stories like End of Days then continue with Mark Waid's run from there.

Yeah, this. It's also worth mentioning that art duties on the Bendis run are handled by Alex Maleev. His art has a very gritty look to it, and it's perfect for Daredevil.

No, X-Men is the flagship. All hail the true X-Men.

Dude, the book is only two issues in. As amazing as it is, it's too soon.

Lazarus is just one issue in and I am enthralled. If you have the issue, and you haven't read those six pages of prose at the end ("because words") I encourage you to go back and do so. Greg and Michael are into something amazing here that's just barely scratched the surface, and I already want to be there every step of the way.

Just read this a little while ago, and I have to agree. It's off to a very good start. I can't wait to see where this goes. I didn't even realize Rucka was writing this until I saw his name on the cover.

So is this planned as an ongoing?

Just read this a little while ago, and I have to agree. It's off to a very good start. I can't wait to see where this goes. I didn't even realize Rucka was writing this until I saw his name on the cover.

So is this planned as an ongoing?
In the prose afterword Rucka states it's an ongoing with a finite end, but one that (sales willing) we're years away from seeing.

I got all the big books this week, but I have to say the book I enjoyed the most was a little gem I forgot to pick up last week. Vibe.

Vibe is the man! Total underdog. Gotta love him.

kswiston

I figure this is as good a place to post the news as any. Found out today that my wife is pregnant. The world should have another comic book fan in 5 years or so. I guess I have until then to decide where I am going to hide my preacher graphic novels :p

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
So I finally got around to reading Captain America...

...I'm going to go cry for a few hours now...

...make that a week...

I have to say I like the subtle bit of personality that Gamora demonstrated this month. Prior she had only ever been "The Most Dangerous Woman in the Universe" and not much else.

Well, she was also Richard Rider's sex doll back in the last volume of Guardians, and during that whole Annihilation story. But yeah, she didn't have much depth. Bendis seems to be looking to correct that, which is good, because she's a well-designed character. And I like how they actually gave her clothes this time.

I liked Lazarus alot. Great art and interesting start. The mentioned pages in the back really help you get excited for things to come. Wish more #1's did this.

Tizoc

Hey GAF - having just finished Daredevil : End of Days and working through Dark Nights, I need me some more. I can't believe the Ben Affleck movie kept me away for as long as it has. I think that DD might be my new favorite superhero. - reccomend me some more.

I see that Bendis wrote for DD for a while and the Frank Miller stuff is supposed to be good. Where should I go next?

Chronologically, you should read the series as such:
Frank Miller's 80s run
Bendis followed by Brubakers runs from the past decade
Mark Waid's current run (You could just as easily start from here anyway it's fantastic)

...and while you're at it, read Hawkguy.

This was a pretty great week, and I still haven't read through a lot of my books (looking forward to getting into Lazarus tomorrow).

The Unwritten: Well, the Fables crossover (although not really a crossover since it's all within this book) is finally here, and it didn't disappoint. It was so cool seeing Tom interacting with the Fables cast, and seeing this screwed up version of events. This is definitely a case of two great tastes which taste even better together.

Uncanny X-Men: I'm enjoying what Bendis is doing with Magik. Gillen did some great work with her in the previous volume (especially her conversation with Colossus), but I'm happy that Bendis is taking the character in a new direction and doing some good work. Plus, how cool is
Magik absorbing the entirety of the Limbo dimension?

Fatale: Man, nothing is going right with Nick in his life. I'm intrigued to find out what the deal is with
the missing pages from the manuscript
. The new story arc seems very interesting based on the first issue. The setup seems at least broadly similar to the second arc, but at the same time pretty different.

Guardians of the Galaxy: This was a pretty good issue. Gamora had some great scenes, both in terms of comedy and character moments, and I also thought that Iron Man had some decent moments. This book has yet to really rise above 'fun' for me, but it has been very fun in each issue.

All New X-Men: (Geez, how many books is Bendis writing, anyway?) Well, Mystique's plan was really not what I expected.
Her asking to buy Madripoor was a great 'what the fuck' moment.
There were some pretty fun moments, and the ending was definitely great. I also really enjoyed Kitty's discussion about her identity in response to that 'M-word' nonsense. It was a strong bit of writing from Bendis.

X-Men: The best of the X-Men books also came out this week, and was great. Brian Wood has really done a great job setting up the team and giving them purpose. He's doing an amazing job of redeeming Jubilee after all of the shit she was put through in the previous volume.

Batman/Superman: It's Greg Pak, so I already went in with high expectations, and he matched them. He did a great job at getting both characters, and the plot set up here is enough to keep me wanting more. I like that we're starting out at a point where their strangers, rather than longtime friends.

Chronologically, you should read the series as such:
Frank Miller's 80s run
Bendis followed by Brubakers runs from the past decade
Mark Waid's current run (You could just as easily start from here anyway it's fantastic)

...and while you're at it, read Hawkguy.

Why does no one ever mention the Kevin Smith run prior to Bendis'?

Ode to (comic)GAF: As I'm still a junior and I cannot create new topics, I decided to post this in one of my favourite threads:

I lately have the urge to tell you people how much I enjoy reading and participating on GAF in general and lately especially in comicGAF. For me this forum is the most cozy and enjoyable place apart of my rl. Guys, you really are the greatest people around in the internet. Whenever I have a nerdy question about video games or especially about comics I exactly know where to go. And the single greatest thing is that you guys are so helpful and never hesitate to share your knowledge. None of my rl-friends are that nerdy and informed about games and comics. So GAF is the only place where i can talk and search for help regarding my geek-hobbies.

I cannot say this more often: I enjoy this community so, SO much. Thank you guys for making GAF what it is for me!

frye

^^^ dope. ^^^

Why does no one ever mention the Kevin Smith run prior to Bendis'?

It doesn't really hold up well. You can tell Smith and Quesada are genuinely trying to do this big definitive story, but their reach exceeds their grasp so even though both of them are clearly aiming for Miller, they end up falling woefully short.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Young Avengers was also really great this week. Good Marvel week.

What happened to Batman Inc? Pushed into July?

I don't think Morrison has ever finished a series on time. I've said it before, but I think he has a manic element to his work, in that at the start he is so intense and full of a billion ideas but then he gets soooooo close to the end and stalls almost every time. I would love an interviewer to ask him about this, but interviews are very much "you are so awesome please tell me how awesome you are" in the comics world.

So I only picked up Captain America, Hawkeye and Young Avengers today, budget constraints kept me from the X-books. Spoilers!!!

Captain America:
Having Sharon Carter show up and casually shoot Ian really hit me the wrong way. Not only was he shot in the neck he falls into the incinerator. I have no idea how the next issue will play out, I almost expect a silent issue because there are no words.

Hawkeye: I mentioned this in the Hawkguy thread but I expect the next issue to play out the same events normally. This issue had an incredible team effort, this is a Issue of the Year contender.

Young Avengers: Kate Brown is amazing! I enjoy this comic so much. I really like how Gillen writes these characters,
Prodigy in the Call Center getting calls from ninjas was great. Speed's working sequence was impressive art-wise. I have no idea what happened at the end but I want more.

ZoddGutts

Lazarus # 1 was good. So basically Eve has
Wolverine/Deadpool type healing factor.
. Good to see a woman that physically looks like someone that can fuck anyone up rather than just looking sexy and tall.

Hey guys! I want to get into the Annihilator series. But I do not know where to start. Which paperback would you recommend to start? Are they all worth reading? Which would you avoid? Thanks for the answers!

GOTG was particularly good this month.
I have to say GotG is incredible. I love the art of every issue so far. Nice action etc. Great comic series! I hope Marvel can keep this quality with their Marvel Now series.

(I'll double dig the Marvel Now comics. I am getting the collected Hardcover books as well. Except for Iron Man, none of the Marvel Now restarts disappointed me yet.)

Lombaszko

First book I read today, JLA#5, was my favorite so far. I only have Lazarus left to read.

Yeah! That backup by story by Matt Kindt was great too, as usual. Between what he did on Frankenstein and here in JLA, I'm totally cool with him taking over the series for five issues later this year to give Johns a break.

You are right about the spoiler. Sucks that Jae Lee cant even finish one issue.

Yeah I was all like "Guys, it was cover artists! Chill!" and then I cracked it open and was like "No fucking way."

Man, DC, don't pull this shit when Marvel is dropping Hawkguy #11 right across the street. Makes y'all look like a shaved ice truck in front of a Cold Stone Creamery.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
So I just finished Batman/Superman.
Based on the costumes, it seems like this is going to cross over with the Bats and Supes from Earth-2? Tuxedo Batman and the Superman on the cover to #2 would certainly suggest that's the case.

Jae Lee's an artist I'm kind of split on. On one hand, he's unbelievably talented and his layouts are really inspired. But his characters always end looking so... beautifully delicate might be the right way to put it. I dunno, it's not really the way I see Superman or Batman.

I think I'm rare in that I really can't stand Jae Lee's work. It's so airless, it honestly makes me feels a bit suffocated and panicky like I can't breathe. A very perculiar reaction I know. And is there a word that means the opposite of 'dynamic'? Because whatever word that is sums his work up perfectly. There's absolutely no movement in the panels at all. And the covers! Jeeze dude, there are other compositions other than characters in the middle of a page standing on nothing and looking like statues.

tim1138

I figure this is as good a place to post the news as any. Found out today that my wife is pregnant. The world should have another comic book fan in 5 years or so. I guess I have until then to decide where I am going to hide my preacher graphic novels :p

Congrats!

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I think I'm rare in that I really can't stand Jae Lee's work. It's so airless, it honestly makes me feels a bit suffocated and panicky like I can't breathe. A very perculiar reaction I know. And is there a word that means the opposite of 'dynamic'? Because whatever word that is sums his work up perfectly. There's absolutely no movement in the panels at all. And the covers! Jeeze dude, there are other compositions other than characters in the middle of a page standing on nothing and looking like statues.

I agree with the motionless thing, because despite a bunch of brawls, everybody seems painted in place--it's not really kinetic. Also, Gotham is suddenly a fucked version of Wonderland--like, that bench that Bruce is sitting on in the beginning is the most absurd/evil/ominous bench in the world. Writing was great though, and that layout with the families' deaths was INCREDIBLE.

Yeah! That backup by story by Matt Kindt was great too, as usual. Between what he did on Frankenstein and here in JLA, I'm totally cool with him taking over the series for five issues later this year to give Johns a break.

I didnt know GJ was taking a break. In the case, Kindt's part at the end was great and as long as the chemistry between the characters continues to develop and the mystery behind the SS stays interesting it will be hard to screw up. Sure GJ left Kindt some notes though.

Dysun

Saint Walker monthly about to hit at any time

DC should thank their lucky stars for Johns, they went from one middling (sales) GL title to six (with at least 4 over 50k average)

tim1138

Six book crossovers coming up? I think it's time to abandon green lantern entirely :( :( :( :(

I've been pre-ordering the main book and i gave the first issue of New Guardians and Corps a try, dcbs shipment should come next week, if they aren't amazing i think i'm out of everything GL related.

I dropped the entire line with the end of Johns' run. Seemed like the right thing to do, even more so after having issue 21 described to me and hearing Vendetti already retconned one of my favorite bits from 20.

KoruptData said:
I didnt know GJ was taking a break. In the case, Kindt's part at the end was great and as long as the chemistry between the characters continues to develop and the mystery behind the SS stays interesting it will be hard to screw up. Sure GJ left Kindt some notes though

The Kindt run is apparently focused on
MMH
so it shouldn't miss a beat.

In the prose afterword Rucka states it's an ongoing with a finite end, but one that (sales willing) we're years away from seeing.

Yeah on Word Balloon he said 5 years. And he wants to lock down Lark for the whole thing and follow Sagas shipping schedule (take 1 month off in between arcs and ship a trade).

8bit

Knows the Score
After Fury Max & Hawkeye I'm kind of glad I forgot about Captain America. I think yesterday was depressing Marvel books day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom