• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2013. Nothing can stop the Juggernaut! ...except E3 BREAKING NEWS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys found Hawkguy depressing? I thought the end, while highly emotional, was so uplifting.
Lucky gets out from the yoke of the city and Clint's problems and sees the entire country. Lucky guy. ;D

Acid08

Banned
You guys found Hawkguy depressing? I thought the end, while highly emotional, was so uplifting.
Lucky gets out from the yoke of the city and Clint's problems and sees the entire country. Lucky guy. ;D
It's more depressing from Clint's perspective.

Grills gets killed on his roof, Kate leaves, she takes Lucky(presumably his only friend left), and his archery skills are all fucked up. How much more can they shit on him? It's getting to Peter Parker levels

I want something good to happen to him soon.

Owzers

O__O I didn't know there was a Green Lantern crossover event in October called Lights Out, i must have skipped checking news sites for a few days. Yep, i'm out in September. If it's good i'll trade wait or maybe switch to digital after the price drops, though it's now 2 months instead of 1. At least it's only a one month crossover, though it includes GL Annual and the September villain's month issue, alongside an issue of GL, GL New Guardians, GL Corps, and Red Lanterns.

It's more depressing from Clint's perspective.

Grills gets killed on his roof, Kate leaves, she takes Lucky(presumably his only friend left), and his archery skills are all fucked up. How much more can they shit on him? It's getting to Peter Parker levels

I want something good to happen to him soon.

Well sure, but I love the arc of it.

I still have plenty to catch up on in terms of my pull list, but I did catch up on Scarlet Spider and New Avengers.

New Avengers #5 - 7: Really good, as always. I'm enjoying the current Panther/Namor study. Panther's line when he
blew up the world
in New Avengers #6 was... I'll remember that, basically. I liked it. It's funny to see that the Illuminati is
the most successful group of supervillains this side of Thanos.

Scarlet Spider #17 - 18: I'm loving the Wolverine/Kaine dynamic, and I can't wait for issue #19! Or 20! Or 21! Or 22!
Seems like I'm just saying "everything," but the solicits for those issues are particularly interesting, especially the Ock fight and Ben Reilly fight. Speaking of, fuck Ock. Same reasons as always.

fallingdove

Chronologically, you should read the series as such:
Frank Miller's 80s run
Bendis followed by Brubakers runs from the past decade
Mark Waid's current run (You could just as easily start from here anyway it's fantastic)

...and while you're at it, read Hawkguy.

Perfect. Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Oh and I am totally reading Hawkguy right now. It's very good. The minimalist art of Rivera and Martin in Waid's run actually resembles Aja's art in Hawkguy. One of the reason's I decided to give Daredevil a look.

Holy shit. The final issue of the Shazam backup was amazing. God damn. I love Gary Frank's expressions.

Now to read Batman/Superman. I have so many books to read. @.@

Daredevil: Incredible.
The turn around when he turns all of Bullseye's threats back on him was great, and I loved the final scene with Matt and Foggy in the hospital room. "I did what was right".
Second best Marvel book continues to be amazing (and about to be the best in a few months :().

Red Lanterns: Decent setup, I guess. It's a big step down from Milligan, but the first issue wasn't so bad. I'll at least give it a couple more issues.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Another great issue. The hospital room scene was great, and seeing
Leonardo's head get messed with all issue was really cool. Things are about to get really messed up for the turtles. Especially with them making an alliance with Old Hob of all guys.

How long is Irving on the book? He's worlds better than Bacchalo.

What? Irving's done some good work on the book, but he's no Chris Bachalo. Then again, almost no one is.

Wool

Irving hit another level in Uncanny. That scene
in the snow was just phenomenal

Yeah that was great. I finally got Uncanny #4 yesterday as well. Reading that and then reading #7 it was pretty clear who's better. The amount of people standing on their tiptoes in Bachalo's issues upsets me too. Can't he draw regular feet?

Hey, DC readers, I've been tradewaiting stuff and was wondering if DC has said yet how the shazam backup is getting collected. Does anyone know?

I believe I read that it's getting collected in its own trade.

I hope so, sounds wonderful. Was hoping I wouldn't have to buy a couple consecutive justice league volumes to get it or something.

EDIT: oh dang you posted the link as I was typing my response. Thank you. Hmm maybe it is time for me to make my first trip to instocktrades or some site like that....

I hope so, sounds wonderful. Was hoping I wouldn't have to buy a couple consecutive justice league volumes to get it or something.

EDIT: oh dang you posted the link as I was typing my response. Thank you. Hmm maybe it is time for me to make my first trip to instocktrades or some site like that....

You can probably safely wait for the moment. Because I would want to know how they are releasing the rest of the story. The item description says:

Collects the Shazam! stories that originally appeared in Justice League #7-11, #0 and #14-17.

That means it won't have #18-21 which is the last parts. But that isn't enough for a volume #2 of the title... which means they have to have more at some point either as a solo title or a backup again.

You can probably safely wait for the moment. Because I would want to know how they are releasing the rest of the story. The item description says:

Collects the Shazam! stories that originally appeared in Justice League #7-11, #0 and #14-17.

That means it won't have #18-21 which is the last parts. But that isn't enough for a volume #2 of the title... which means they have to have more at some point either as a solo title or a backup again.

Then I will fill an order with other things... I bought a very limited number of new 52 titles for the first 8 or 9 months then decided the modest savings of tradewaiting were appealing enough to do that.

I'm thinking some red lanterns, earth 2, demon knights, and a few others. I've read stuff like batman and wonder woman because I live in a college dorm and have been borrowing other peoples' singles of the more popular books. While I want to own pretty much all of those things in paperback trades of my own (with the exception of the horribly disappointing death of the family), I ain't prioritizing them.

FnordChan

Thank you for sharing this cool project on the thread. I will be donating for a book. Looks interesting!

It's my pleasure! I feel kinda bad jumping in the thread just to shill for someone else's Kickstarter project (whoops, there I go again), but I love the Obscure Cities series so much that I had to pimp the project at least a bit here on NeoGAF. I'm glad at least one person is into it!

In other news, I belatedly got around to reading the new Empowered: Animal Style special and thoroughly enjoyed seeing Emp put her suprahuman studies degree to good use. Thankfully there's another Empowered special, Nine Beers with Ninjette, coming out in September to help tide us all over while waiting for Empowered Volume 8.

FnordChan

Wool

I've always thought Iron Man was a boring character. Kind of reminds me of Superman in that he is too powerful. Just look at him in the Avengers movie.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I've always thought Iron Man was a boring character. Kind of reminds me of Superman in that he is too powerful. Just look at him in the Avengers movie.

What? Thor crushes his armor without much effort at all using just his fingers. And Hulk is stronger than Thor in that movie even when he's only slightly miffed.

Jetman

Just read Batman/Superman 1 over my lunch break.

Good writing, superb visuals but I have no idea how and when this could logically happen in the time line. I ignores Action Comics: Men of Steel as well as the Zero Issues of Bats and Supes, it ignores much of the set-up of JL:Origin and does not mesh too well with E2:The Gathering as of now.

I know, i know it is early to judge a story after 20 pages, espcially one so well written and drawn, but it's strage that Pak always told us it will make sense when taking previewous books into acount, but it does not.

Feel exactly the same. Any explanation forthcoming on this or are we to assume this will be explained later/alternate universe/time travel?

And Talon...art is hurting :( Didn't think Sepulveda did too bad with Stormwatch either during its first run.They should have put Eddy Barrows on this or something.

Hawkeye - don't think I would have started reading these without seeing GAF love for them. Thanks guys :)

tim1138

Patrick Zircher asked on Twitter what books people would put out if they worked for one of the big two and then retweeted the replies. Someone said an Aztek book, was that you Rafa?

So I finally read the 1st volume of Waid's Daredevil, and I'm hooked. Getting slowly caught up soon.

I loved Age of Ultron A.I, great exploration into Hank Pym's character.

Uncanny X-Men #7 had amazing art. Frazer Irving on something like a Dr. Strange comic would get all my support.

Also started reading Atomic Robo at someone's recommendation in this thread, and I'm hooked on that as well.

And of course Hawkeye #11 was just fantastic.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
This Iron Man story sounds like some shit that's gonna get thrown right under the rug the minute Gillen is gone.

I would take teenage'd Tony Stark from the 90's over the fucking tampering disaster this piece of shit Gillen has constructed.

So while Hank Pym is revealed to be some rags to moderate riches natural genius held back by societal pressures, Tony Stark is revealed to only be super good at tech because an alien tampered with him in the womb to be just that in conjunction with his born-into super-wealth. Superb.

ReiGun

Johns should just let someone else do JL while he does Aquaman and Shazam. That Shazam issue was better than every issue of JL since the New 52 started.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Nah. Morbius, i dont think anyone can express how bad of a book it is.

Sucks not being able to pick up my stories on Wednesday. :(

Morbius is pure wasted potential, plain and simple. Why is he in the middle of a gang fight? Why is he not having team-ups with Doc Strange and Blade? Why is he not hunting down vampires? There is just so much potential wasted with that book. I remember what they did with Morbius in the Spider-man cartoon from the 90's, he was hunting vampires and everything that went bump in the night. That's a book I would read.

You guys are seriously making me want to pick up Cap this week all the spoiler tags...

You really need to read the whole thing to appreciate this last issue.
It's Damian all over again, only a little worse considering who pulled the trigger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom