• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2013. Nothing can stop the Juggernaut! ...except E3 BREAKING NEWS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vibranium

Banned
Hawkeye definitely was a little depressing, but the whole issue was so unique that I was really impressed, Lucky is (no joke) one of the best new characters out of Marvel this year.
I can't wait until Barney and Clint have more interaction and Grill's death is investigated further.
Hopefully we get at least some sunshine and rainbows at some point though.

Ok, so now I want to talk about Cap, holy shit what a ride!
I thought it would be Black Widow who would randomly show up in Zolandia based upon the cover, but looking back it Agent 13 was the obvious person to be there. I can't see Ian surviving that shot, but you never know in comics. It looks like this will potentially be a major strain on Steve's relationship with Sharon, even if she had no idea about who Ian was. I'll actually be totally ok if this means Cap breaks off his relationship with her, I honestly want to see him with someone else at this point. Bru's Agent 13 got a little too annoying at times, something about her personality just rubs me the wrong way for some reason.

Did any Cap readers see Remender's comments in the letters column about his plans for Zemo and Strucker in year 2? I can't wait if it is anything as insane as Dimension Z, love those guys and they really should be in the movies. I think I might write in and ask Rick if he still has plans to fit Bucky into a story arc at some point, I remember him mentioning he had a story point for the character in an earlier issue's letters column.

Dysun

Johns should just let someone else do JL while he does Aquaman and Shazam. That Shazam issue was better than every issue of JL since the New 52 started.

Agree with you, all the Shazam back-stories have been great but the main JL title has been a dud except for the Atlantis crossover.

tim1138

Johns should just let someone else do JL while he does Aquaman and Shazam. That Shazam issue was better than every issue of JL since the New 52 started.

Instead of the rumor of Sterling Gates writing Shazam, they should give him JL and keep Johns on Shazam.

Yea johns shaman would be awesome.
Can't wainscot the trade to come out.

Also uncanny x-men:
guess magic didn't get the memo about one travel

SRG01

It's more depressing from Clint's perspective.

Grills gets killed on his roof, Kate leaves, she takes Lucky(presumably his only friend left), and his archery skills are all fucked up. How much more can they shit on him? It's getting to Peter Parker levels

I want something good to happen to him soon.

Wait, his archery skills are messed up? Can anyone refresh me on this? Is it because tracksuit mafia came and beat him up?

I have to say after thinking about it some, the story that Superman/Batman #1 is setting up, is just so much more interesting, way more dynamic, and just far better than what was told in JL 1 - 5. This, this feels like an epic meeting of the world's finest.

I'll also agree Johns should stay on Shazam and give some one else JL. This Shazam reboot has been amazing so far.

Booster's exit out of All-Star Western was disappointing and predictable almost. They finally give us some Booster and then it's just a quick gone and who knows how long we wait for the next appearance.

I enjoyed JLA and JLD this week too.

Owzers

finished rereading The Unwritten vol 1 trade to get ready for vol 3 onward. If you haven't read Unwritten yet, give it a try, it's very interesting. It's about the power of literary works merged with a backdrop of harry potter and so much more. Give it a tryyyyyyy.

I have no idea how Larfleeze is going to sustain a book... but I have to admit, Giffen and Dematteis made that first issue very entertaining. Let's see what you got guys.

NEO0MJ

So, I just finished rereading vol/8 of Sandman, world's End, and there's something that's been bugging me...

At the end of the book the Eternals are having a funeral, but I don't remember anyone dying other than Orpheus. Is it something that's explained in vol.9?

finished rereading The Unwritten vol 1 trade to get ready for vol 3 onward. If you haven't read Unwritten yet, give it a try, it's very interesting. It's about the power of literary works merged with a backdrop of harry potter and so much more. Give it a tryyyyyyy.

Yes, everyone should check the series out. It's consistently been one of my favorite comics ever since it began.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Waid's Daredevil is going to go down as a classic run for the character. It can be funny, heartwarming, brutal and thought provoking. Hawkeye is a great modern comic, but Daredevil is right up there with it.

frye

Shazam:

All the Shazam kids are great except that Asian whiz kid w/ ~hacking powers~ C'mon Johns, get it together!

jaxword

So, I just finished rereading vol/8 of Sandman, world's End, and there's something that's been bugging me...

At the end of the book the Eternals are having a funeral, but I don't remember anyone dying other than Orpheus. Is it something that's explained in vol.9?

You should probably finish off the series before asking about that.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face

Fuck yeah! Somebody else reading The Unwritten. It's consistently great and if anybody has interest in literature and stories, this book is bound to touch on something you love. Also, it's currently having a crossover event with Fables and thankfully making Fables relevant again.

Shaanyboi

Banned
My girlfriend wants to get into some comics.

Injustice, Young Justice, and the Greg Weisman short have really made her want to check out Green Arrow. I hear Secret Origins is the way to go, but would like to hear some more opinions.

Also, she wants to read Wonder Woman and Batgirl. How's the New 52 stuff? Good starting places for her?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Injustice, Young Justice, and the Greg Weisman short have really made her want to check out Green Arrow. I hear Secret Origins is the way to go, but would like to hear some more opinions.

Also, she wants to read Wonder Woman and Batgirl. How's the New 52 stuff? Good starting places for her?

New52 Wonder Woman is really good. Batgirl has an iffy first few issues but really comes into it's own and gets good after the first arc. Basically both are good.

tim1138

Also, she wants to read Wonder Woman and Batgirl. How's the New 52 stuff? Good
starting places for her?

For Green Arrow get her Year One by Andy Diggle and Jock and Longbow Hunters by Mike Grell.

I'd recommend Batwoman, too. The new 52 version is great, and the first two volumes are out in hardcover or trade paperback.

tim1138

I have JL Vol 1 and 2 and that takes it to 12. I have Vol 3 preordered but I thought that was about Aquaman and Atlantis.

The Shazam stuff was a backup story and is getting its own trade. It ran in something like issues 7-11, 14-17, and 19-20. The zero issue and issue 21 were full on Shazam issues with no JL story.

The Shazam stuff was a backup story and is getting its own trade. It ran in something like issues 7-11, 14-17, and 19-20. The zero issue and issue 21 were full on Shazam issues with no JL story.

Hmmm. Just grabbed my vol 2 which is 7-12 and flipped through it and dont remember anything that had todo with Shazam. Im confused.

ElNarez

Banned
Today I realized we're one month two days and change away from THE GLORIOUS RETURN OF TRAVEL FOREMAN TO ANIMAL MAN BY WAY OF THE ANIMAL MAN ANNUAL #2. THE COUNTDOWN BEGINS NOW.

I knew Captain America was going to end like that.:/ The cover made it easy to predict.
I correctly guessed that
Sharon was the one holding the gun on the cover, but Ian getting gunned down was a total shocker for me. And then I was all "no no no no NO NO NOOOOOOO NOT SHARON" -style denial until the last page reveal.
Amazing.

It's my pleasure! I feel kinda bad jumping in the thread just to shill for someone else's Kickstarter project (whoops, there I go again), but I love the Obscure Cities series so much that I had to pimp the project at least a bit here on NeoGAF. I'm glad at least one person is into it!

In other news, I belatedly got around to reading the new Empowered: Animal Style special and thoroughly enjoyed seeing Emp put her suprahuman studies degree to good use. Thankfully there's another Empowered special, Nine Beers with Ninjette, coming out in September to help tide us all over while waiting for Empowered Volume 8.

FnordChan
F*ck yeah Empowered! 'Animal Style' was probably my favorite one-shot so far, so fun seeing her kick @$$ and being smart about it.

faAUKGa.jpg

ReiGun

Wonder Woman: "Gods and Mortals" (if she doesn't mind something older), "JLA: A League of One," "The Hiketeia," and "The Circle." The New 52 run is also good.

Batgirl: "Year One" and "Batgirl Rising." I haven't read the New 52 run, but I've heard it's decent.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Wonder Woman: "Gods and Mortals" (if she doesn't mind something older), "JLA: A League of One," "The Hiketeia," and "The Circle." The New 52 run is also good.

Batgirl: "Year One" and "Batgirl Rising." I haven't read the New 52 run, but I've heard it's decent.

I'd recommend Batwoman, too. The new 52 version is great, and the first two volumes are out in hardcover or trade paperback.

For Green Arrow get her Year One by Andy Diggle and Jock and Longbow Hunters by Mike Grell.

New52 Wonder Woman is really good. Batgirl has an iffy first few issues but really comes into it's own and gets good after the first arc. Basically both are good.

Thank you for the recommendations guys! I'll look into this stuff. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom