• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2013. Nothing can stop the Juggernaut! ...except E3 BREAKING NEWS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boogiepop

I require aid once more in looking for birthday gifts for a friend. Between previous gifts and him picking stuff up on his own, I think he may have pretty much all the big Batman trades now. And he definitely has pretty much all of the sort of stuff that would show up on a "best comics ever" list, so shopping is getting a little harder. Though I don't think he has any Transmetropoliton, and that one's supposed to be really good, right?

Also, are there any particularly good trades for Powergirl out there? They also have to be in print, preferably. Has Black Panther ever had a good run, for that matter? That might be an interesting approach. Hm...

Also, are there any particularly good trades for Powergirl out there? They also have to be in print, preferably. Has Black Panther ever had a good run, for that matter? That might be an interesting approach. Hm...

First two trades of the 2011 Power Girl series are great (New Beginnings and Aliens & Apes). Unfortunately they are hard to find. The Judd Winick Power Girl (Bomb Squad and Old Friends) that came after is easier to find but not quite as good. The current Power Girl is in Worlds' Finest, not sure if the first trade for that is out yet.

ReiGun

Power Girl: Get the Palmiotti, Gray, and Conner run ("A New Beginning" and "Aliens and Apes.")

Black Panther: His best run is Christopher Priest's Marvel Knights run....so of course it hasn't been collected in full. Still, you can get the first two stories, "The Client" and "Enemy of the State," from that run. There's also Don Megregor's "Panther's Rage," which is criminally underrated and kind of hard to find. The best Panther stories that you can also find pretty easy are "Man Without Fear" and "Secret Invasion."

Owzers

I have the urge to recommend Nextwave Agents of Hate to everyone...unless it's someone looking for crime/noir/horror/crossed specifically.

I think Wolverine #5 is the single worst issue of a comic book I have ever read through in my entire life.

I will now dedicate the rest of my life to building a time machine so I can go back and warn myself never to touch or lay eyes on it for fear of absolute shame.

I gave it one arc because I'll give anything by Alan Davis a chance but the absolute horrendous dialogue and the non-Davis fill-in will prompt me for the 1st time in 3 years to actually ask my comic shop for a refund.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I think Wolverine #5 is the single worst issue of a comic book I have ever read through in my entire life.

I will now dedicate the rest of my life to building a time machine so I can go back and warn myself never to touch or lay eyes on it for fear of absolute shame.

I gave it one arc because I'll give anything by Alan Davis a chance but the absolute horrendous dialogue and the non-Davis fill-in will prompt me for the 1st time in 3 years to actually ask my comic shop for a refund.

You know, I was wondering how Wolverine was doing. I wasn't amazed by the first issue, it came off better than Savage Wolverine did initially. But I still had no desire to stick with it beyond the debut issue, glad I saved my money and time.

dan2026

Empowered! Fuck yeah! I still need to pick up the second deluxe hardcover.

With Empowered I can't get over the impression that Adam Warren is furiously masturbating over his own work.

'oh yeah then she was tied up with rubber hosing, oh man that's so hot!'

I'm not saying its badly written or drawn though.
Just kinda creepy.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
With Empowered I can't get over the impression that Adam Warren is furiously masturbating over his own work.

Just kinda creepy.

Your right. It's a good book, but he's totally jerking it while he draws it. No joke, it wouldn't surprise me.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I know that Pizza Dawg and Bats/Supes came out this week, but Unwritten is easily my comic of the week. So much goodness packed into it and it's rekindled my love for Fables.

Dysun

You know, I was wondering how Wolverine was doing. I wasn't amazed by the first issue, it came off better than Savage Wolverine did initially. But I still had no desire to stick with it beyond the debut issue, glad I saved my money and time.

The Wolverine books are trying to one-up each other on being terrible. Even WATXM is getting in the mix with the Dog Logan stuff

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I ususally buy all digital because I like to read my comics on a tablet at home (or on my phone on the way to work, heresy I know) but I had to go get a physical copy of Pizza Dog. Need to support that stellar issue. Stands out in a week when there were probably close to 20 other titles I was interested in reading, and it was a pretty good week all round too. Glad it's getting so much praise around here.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Allison Sohn (Adam Hughes' significant other) talks candidly about the fate of All-Star Wonder Woman (Bleeding Cool)

In a nutshell: Before Watchmen took its place in Adam's contract years before it was officially announced, ASWW is long since dead and gone, and being Adam Hughes doesn't carry much weight in the industry.

This makes me sad for two reasons. One being that I would have loved to see this released. But the second being that I had completely forgot this was even announced, that's how long its been.

So I guess All-Star Superman is the only one that actually delivered? I was never really clear on if All-Star Batman & Robin was done or not. They announced that Dark Knight: Boy Wonder thing, wasn't sure if that was supposed to be a sequel or what.

tim1138

This makes me sad for two reasons. One being that I would have loved to see this released. But the second being that I had completely forgot this was even announced, that's how long its been.

So I guess All-Star Superman is the only one that actually delivered? I was never really clear on if All-Star Batman & Robin was done or not. They announced that Dark Knight: Boy Wonder thing, wasn't sure if that was supposed to be a sequel or what.

Aren't there still like 6 unfinished issues of ASB&R? It's no surprise it underperformed, that book was terrible.

Tizoc

Daredevil was great this week and so was Shazam #21.
All-Star Western #21 has
Jonah transported to the future
, whooo boy.

Not Red Hulk. :(

What a shitty idea that was.

Read Jeff Parker's run, it managed to redeem the character.

The Wolverine books are trying to one-up each other on being terrible. Even WATXM is getting in the mix with the Dog Logan stuff

Having just read Wolverine #5, Cornell seems to be continuing Logan's hunt for these people, just hope it gets wrapped up soon >_>;

frye

Aren't there still like 6 unfinished issues of ASB&R? It's no surprise it underperformed, that book was terrible.

It's not that it underperformed (Jim Lee comics don't underprerform, period.) just that the New 52 projects took precedence.

Dead

well not really...yet

ASBAR is still unfinished.

The Boy Wonder name thingy was an attempt to rename and repackage the remaining issues. Which still haven't been done lol. Most likely never will.

Marvel Infinity Liveblog going on.

Infinity #4 cover
Infinity #4 In-Hyuk Lee variant
Infinity #4 Ryan Stegman variant
Infinity #5 cover
Infinity #1 interior

Edit: Here's some tidbits

"I've worked with Jerome Opena and Dustin Weaver before, and both are fantastic artists equally adept at world building and character interaction, so writing for them is always a pleasure. I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say the fantastic stuff I visualize in my head is always better when realized by those two guys." - Jonathan Hickman

"I've always wanted to work with Jim Cheung. He's one of my favorite artists and a really cool guy. I've asked for him on just about everything, so it's such a pleasue to see him drawing the stuff I'm writing. It's wonderful. All three guys are great. I'd be remiss not to say Mike Deodato is doing great work on New Avengers and Leinil Yu is killing it on Avengers. Breathtaking stuff. I gave Leinil hard as stuff to draw as anybody and he's crushing it. He's unbreakable." - Jonathan Hickman

"Before I was doing Infinity, I was always going to do a story called Avengers Universe happening at this time in the Avengers books. This is the culmination of everything we started in Avengers #1 on Mars with the Garden, talking about the Builders, this ancient race who has built great societies and destroyed them if they didn't find them worthy to survive. Because of the events in New Avengers, the Builders are headed to Earth." - Jonathan Hickman

"Everything from New Avengers is a big part of Infinity." - Jonathan Hickman

"The Infinity Gems, when last anybody knew about them, were broken by the Illuminati, and that will not go untouched on in Infinity." - Tom Brevoort "I'm actually writing about that today." - Jonathan Hickman

"Like any good story, we needed forerunners of the bad guy and so Thanos' allies serve the story. They're colorful characters with cool names, which is never bad, but you'll see mostly in New Avengers them in play." - Jonathan Hickman

"Infinity is big, and will project us forward into something even bigger." - Jonathan Hickman "He is not kidding." - Tom Brevoort

"It depends on which characters you're talking about. It's a Marvel Universe story, so they will be involved, but Battle of the Atom is also going on. They're not all absolutely front and center, but they're not absent. You'll see stuff involving them right from the jump. You saw them in the prelude." - Tom Brevoort

"The mutants affiliated with the Illuminati are very involved." - Jonathan Hickman

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I don't know what's better, the original #4 cover or the variants.

Also this whole thing sounds legitimately awesome, I'm actually hyped for an event for once. And it's only the beginning? Sign me the fuck up, don't let me down Hickman.

Wool

There are mutants involved with the Illuminati? Didn't they just finish Age of Ultron? I am pretty new to comics, but I assumed events were just an occasion thing, not one after another.

There are mutants involved with the Illuminati? Didn't they just finish Age of Ultron? I am pretty new to comics, but I assumed events were just an occasion thing, not one after another.

Once upon a time they were. At some point they became nearly incessant.

Professor X was and Namor and Beast are current members of the Illuminati.

Also hopefully after Infinity we can get a year without a Marvel event.

Just kinda creepy.

Empowered is something of an acquired taste. It's best described as a bondage-fetish superhero satire that never really takes itself seriously.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Professor X was and Namor and Beast are current members of the Illuminati.

Also hopefully after Infinity we can get a year without a Marvel event.

I doubt it. I'll put money on the return of Peter Parker being a huge event at this point (maybe not huge but as big as Spider-Island). Plus we've still got Hunger after Infinity.

Just bought the newest unwritten and lock and key v1. Yay amazon gift cards.

Also, real talk about empowered: That immortal demongoat dude singlehandedly justified what I've read of it. Dude was so funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom