• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2014. I for one welcome our new Amazon overlords.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dunno, I feel like it's paced exactly like a manga, which fits with Felipe Smith's background. There's not a lot happening in each issue, but the things that happen happen in big elaborate ways which gives opportunities for Tradd Moore to just run wild, which is exactly what I signed up for.

Thank you, I feel the writer is doing exactly what he is supposed to be doing for the book. I don't get the criticism of the language when a movie like Training Day which has the same language is applauded for it.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Is anyone here reading Five Ghosts by chance? I just found out about it. It looks sort of interesting but I never hear anyone talk about it.

Zombine

Banned
Thank you, I feel the writer is doing exactly what he is supposed to be doing for the book. I don't get the criticism of the language when a movie like Training Day which has the same language is applauded for it.

Oh Korupt I think you're misinterpreting why people are pissed. It's the censoring. I love cursing, I love to curse. I hate seeing it censored in this book, or any of the Marvel
Books written with the T+ label. It feels cheap and I hate hand holding bullshit. You can see Ghost Rider break some dude's hand, but you can't read the word Fuck.

Also, the book is a greatest hits for all West Coast tropes. You name it, it's sort of thrown in the book to legitimize the "west coast/best coast" setting.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
It's like taking a gorgeous woman out on a few dates. Paying for everything and really being into her, only to find out that she is not really into you or she is just using you for free stuff. Now she doesn't come out and say it but that's how you feel. You can continue to take her out and question your instincts or you can cut ties with her.

That analogy would work if there was a longform arc going on from issue one. Then sure, cocktease and all that. But as it is, Warren Ellis and Declan Shalvey and Jordie Bellaire are putting out on each and every damn date.

Edit: Fuck Ghost Rider, this book is Ghost Puncher.

That analogy would work if there was a longform arc going on from issue one. Then sure, cocktease and all that. But as it is, Warren Ellis and Declan Shalvey and Jordie Bellaire are putting out on each and every damn date.

Yeah, I was gonna say. She's putting out and the sex is fantastic so what's the problem

Just bought a Nexus 7 (2nd gen), man these things are amazing for digital comic reading. Installed franco kernel, long battery life, 1080p and smooth performance.

Messi

They don't bleep the swearing in Training Day.

Also Training Day is awesome

tim1138

I'm just gonna ignore whatever you all are bickering about now, because whatever book it is isn't as good as this:

1007275.jpg

Best comic I've read in a long time.

Kipp

I've read the first volume and I loved it. It's pulp-tacular, with fantastic art.

Cool! I'll probably check it out sometime.
If I wasn't so keen on getting the hardcovers for a lot of these Image series--the many that I'm positive I'll enjoy--I'd probably be scooping up all these super cheap first volumes of Image books. You can't beat $5 trades.

They don't bleep the swearing in Training Day.

Also Training Day is awesome

The only time I've seen Training Day was when it was on FX with censored swearing. It was still great.

Zombine

Banned
I'm just gonna ignore whatever you all are bickering about now, because whatever book it is isn't as good as this:

Best comic I've read in a long time.

You got that for your birthday didn't you? I have to pick that up when I can. The next best thing to me is Waid's run. Soooooo good.

tim1138

You got that for your birthday didn't you? I have to pick that up when I can. The next best thing to me is Waid's run. Soooooo good.

I did indeed, it's totally worth it. You get gorgeous recolored art, the complete series, and like 100 pages of art, sketches, character designs, and other awesome stuff.

Yeah, I was gonna say. She's putting out and the sex is fantastic so what's the problem

I don't think we got to the sex yet with Moon Knight.

Also what big 2 book has ever put uncensored curse words in their books? Do you all have an imagination? Just fill the censors with your own words.

Zombine

Banned
I did indeed, it's totally worth it. You get gorgeous recolored art, the complete series, and like 100 pages of art, sketches, character designs, and other awesome stuff.

Bettie Page panel might be one of the top ten most memorable images in comics. It is right up there with Giant Sized X-Men.

I've been looking at the re-colorings of the book on Google and I do think it looks good, but I have this weird thing where I enjoy the vintage washed out look of old comics. I wish that this Rocketeer book shipped with the original and the remaster.

Unai

Oh Gaf the wise, please help deciding what to read next in my backlog. I have one month of vacation from work and just got my shippement from IST.

This is what I have and I'm interested in reading:

- The Superior Foes of Spider-Man Volume 1
- Spider-Man Brand New Day 1 to 3
- He-Man Volume 1
- Green Lantern / Green Arrow trade with stories from the 70's
- Demon's Knight Volume 1 to 3 (New 52)
- Hellblazer Volume 2
- Animal Man trades from Grant Morrison run
- The Book of Magic
- Batman trades from Grant Morrison run

I'll propably read everything in the coming weeks, but I can't decide what I want to start reading right now. So, what do you guys say?

Edit: Never mind. Animal-Man it is.

Kipp

I would totes sell it, but I think my friend is still borrowing it soooooooo who knows when i'm getting that back

Haha yeah. I know how that is. Any time I loan something out, I just pretend I'm giving it away and am pleasantly surprised if it gets returned to me.
Well, if you do decide you want to sell it when/if it gets returned to you, I might be up for buying it!

Oh Gaf the wise, please help deciding what to read next in my backlog. I have one month of vacation from work and just got my shippement from IST.

This is what I have and I'm interested in reading:

- The Superior Foes of Spider-Man Volume 1
- Spider-Man Brand New Day 1 to 3
- He-Man Volume 1
- Green Lantern / Green Arrow trade with stories from the 70's
- Demon's Knight Volume 1 to 3 (New 52)
- Hellblazer Volume 2
- Animal Man trades from Grant Morrison run
- The Book of Magic
- Batman trades from Grant Morrison run

I'll propably read everything in the coming weeks, but I can't decide what I want to start reading right now. So, what do you guys say?

Edit: Never mind. Animal-Man it is.

Superior Foes

...after Animal Man, I suppose

It's nice to have, but as probably the biggest TMNT fan on here a bit disappointed in the content. IDW goes between great re-releases of hard to find material and cash-ins pretty frequently.
That's a shame to hear, I don't have much experience with the comics besides the current run. Is there a good starting point for the older stuff?

Superior Foes is dope! It's really funny and easy to get into.

Morrison Batman is always good too.

Parch

I haven't read a Spider book in a long time, but you guys are talking me into Superior Foes.
Villians + humor sounds good to me.

LosDaddie

Banned
Anybody get the Cataclysm hardcover this week?

I'm thinking about ordering it on IST (half off + free shipping), but I haven't read any Ultimate stuff since Ultimatum. The hardcover itself seems to cover the event well.

I haven't read a Spider book in a long time, but you guys are talking me into Superior Foes.
Villians + humor sounds good to me.

It's my favorite Marvel ongoing right now, it's really great. I never thought a book about D-list supervillains would be so entertaining.

Anybody get the Cataclysm hardcover this week?

I'm thinking about ordering it on IST (half off + free shipping), but I haven't read any Ultimate stuff since Ultimatum. The hardcover itself seems to cover the event well.

Cataclysm was a really bad event. Like, real bad. Bendis and Bagley at their worst.
The spider-man tie-in was the only good thing to come out of it.

I would like to go over Futures End again. With me questioning pulling 4 books a month I had to reread it. So I reread all 5 issues again.

We will talk about this weeks issue. The Frankenstein part - F'ing awesome!

The Red Robin stuff - intriguing

The Plastique part - fun

The Grifter part - brings everything down.

Rereading the 5 issues I'm still on board and excited for it but whoever is in charge of the Grifter, needs to get the ball rolling and out of his head. There is a reason Grifter is a C-D list character, what is in his head is not worth 5 pages of inner monologues.

The preview for next week looks exciting too.

ElNarez

Banned
The Grifter parts have been shit so far, but man, I think that now that it's got a hook, it could go somewhere. Plus Faraday is a pretty good foil / evil dick nemesis.

Owzers

Immortal Iron Fist #2 had much better pacing than the first issue, i'll stick with it. Still not sure i like what they are doing with Danny though.

Daredevil #2 and #3 were great, i love the art in this series.

ended up dropping Justice League United and Superman Unchained in an effort to shed titles, down to 33 for July's dcbs pre-order including a few double shipped issues. Added Wicked and the Divine for more than just the first issue.

My pickups today were:

- Giant-Size Spider-Man #1
- Captain Marvel #1
- Captain Marvel #2
- Ms. Marvel #4

They were sold out of Ms. Marvel 1-3 though. I was looking forward to jumping into that series too...

Boogiepop

That's a shame to hear, I don't have much experience with the comics besides the current run. Is there a good starting point for the older stuff?

I still need to dig into a lot of the older stuff myself (read the Ultimate Collections and the first four Classic Collections, still need the rest of those and the Tales of the TMNT stuff at least), but if you're interested in that I'd definitely recommend going with the Ultimate Collection stuff(I think they're putting out a colored equivalent now too). If you just pick up the first one of that I'd imagine it'd give you a good idea of what the series has to offer.

And since we're on the topic of Turtles: I have no choice but to grab the super pricey hardcover to get the Annual for the ongoing, do I? Really wish they would've found a way to just squeeze it into the trades. At least it'll probably be good, and it's obviously relevant to the overall plot. How long is the actual annual itself, btw?

Cheska

Marvel, why do you tease me with a picture of Captain Marvel on the new GotG cover and yet she's NO WHERE in the book despite being a new team member? ;_;

i dunno why they can't do anything interesting with Grifter. i mean, he looks cool. that's why i bought the first few issues of his series back when the New 52 launched, but they weren't good. Apparently the Rob Liefeld-written run after that was an improvement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom