• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2015. ...Are just something we do while the patch downloads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
follow up to my last post comparing aspect ratios, the new pixel c announced yesterday has an aspect ratio of 1:sqrt(2). I mocked up how a comic page would look like in that aspect ratio

39924003ba.jpg

so not as good as 3:2 but better than 4:3.

Mindwipe

I don't know if I should spoiler tag this, but I will just to be on the safe side. Supposedly, in the latest issue of Lobo, the entire Red Lanterns run
has been retconned and reset to the status quo from the beginning of the New 52.
I don't read Lobo though, so I can't confirm if this is true or not.

Dunno, but I wouldn't be surprised. DC has been on a kick of retconning well liked and written storylines that aren't even that old for a few years now.

Also, there's the crown jewel of this whole story, Harada. Call him a megalomaniac or whatever, but even after he's been defeated or pushed back multiple times, he still has an unimpeded vision of what he wants society to be like. He's a mastermind, but he's far from being a true agent of evil. He wants what's best for the world, or at least what his vision of that is, and he is completely uncompromising in it. We can see that even beyond the story of Harbinger, through to Fall of, this remains the absolute core of the character - whatever he may do to manipulate others, he does it for their own good.

I think you should revisit the series. Even if you didn't like how it started, Dysart takes these characters to some truly unique places. The ending of Harbinger, and Fall of, have this unique poetry to them that I've never quite seen in any comic. I wish more people could experience this, because it's really one of the greatest series I've ever read.

To be fair, everything you're describing about Harada is exactly where his megalomania is demonstrated. He's not much different than many other tyrants both historical and fictional: Remake the world in their image through any means possible out of conviction that it is the best option. The think that makes him different from so many others is that he actually has the ability and power to actually find some true success in his reshaping attempts.

He has the best of intentions but he's pretty much entirely ends justifies the means and it's far from obvious that his vision for the world is the right one. Whether his actions and goals are good, evil, or otherwise really depends on your code of ethics. But you also have to admit that he's not really even open to the idea that he's not the one who should be the prime mover and shaker of history or that his vision may be flawed.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
I decided to treat myself to the first two volumes of Hellboy. Did I do good? I heard it's a bit...of a lesser comic, i guess, at least while Byrne is still onboard.

Stealth edit: obligatory congratulations Messi!

Lesser comic? No way!
Hellboy is GOAT, through and through. I guess the first two volumes are the weakest of the series, just because it hits unimaginably high peaks, but I've only read the first two volumes so far and it's easily one of my top 3 favorite comics of all time having only read those two volumes.
In short, you did very well. Couldn't have done better, in fact.

So All Star Batman & Robin is really happening?

Man, I sure hope so. I totally loved ASB&R. I'm still waiting for the Absolute Edition to hit clearance so I can pick it up.

To be fair, everything you're describing about Harada is exactly where his megalomania is demonstrated. He's not much different than many other tyrants both historical and fictional: Remake the world in their image through any means possible out of conviction that it is the best option. The think that makes him different from so many others is that he actually has the ability and power to actually find some true success in his reshaping attempts.

He has the best of intentions but he's pretty much entirely ends justifies the means and it's far from obvious that his vision for the world is the right one. Whether his actions and goals are good, evil, or otherwise really depends on your code of ethics. But you also have to admit that he's not really even open to the idea that he's not the one who should be the prime mover and shaker of history or that his vision may be flawed.

A lot of what I said in this new context of Fall of, in that this takes on a new twist. But yes, not only does he have the power to make it happen, he's had some real success in doing so. That's more accurately what I meant to say about Harada.

However, the duality between him and Peter is really something crucial: one is trying to shape the world and the other is distancing himself from it.

Lesser comic? No way!
Hellboy is GOAT, through and through. I guess the first two volumes are the weakest of the series, just because it hits unimaginably high peaks, but I've only read the first two volumes so far and it's easily one of my top 3 favorite comics of all time having only read those two volumes.
In short, you did very well. Couldn't have done better, in fact.

Man, I sure hope so. I totally loved ASB&R. I'm still waiting for the Absolute Edition to hit clearance so I can pick it up.

Woot! Thanks!

Also I tweeted about Sandman Overture 6 this morning to Gaiman + JHWilliams III and Williams actually replied. I should probably read the issue now....I can guess how it might end, without it being too cute, and it'll make me want to re-read all of Sandman...

Woot! Thanks!

Also I tweeted about Sandman Overture 6 this morning to Gaiman + JHWilliams III and Williams actually replied. I should probably read the issue now....I can guess how it might end, without it being too cute, and it'll make me want to re-read all of Sandman...

It
literally will

I decided to treat myself to the first two volumes of Hellboy. Did I do good? I heard it's a bit...of a lesser comic, i guess, at least while Byrne is still onboard.

On average, Hellboy is amazing. I'm not sure who's telling your it's a lesser comic at any point. Sure, the art is a bit rougher at the start and there's a bit of footing being found, but nothing I'd consider anything less than rather solid.

On average, Hellboy is amazing. I'm not sure who's telling your it's a lesser comic at any point. Sure, the art is a bit rougher at the start and there's a bit of footing being found, but nothing I'd consider anything less than rather solid.

Hmm, i think i worded it poorly. I heard not so much it's a lesser comic in terms of it's generally bad etc but compared to later issues/arcs etc. Sounds pretty amazing anyway. A glut of comics just as uni starts...how wonderful.

I think you should revisit the series. Even if you didn't like how it started, Dysart takes these characters to some truly unique places. The ending of Harbinger, and Fall of, have this unique poetry to them that I've never quite seen in any comic. I wish more people could experience this, because it's really one of the greatest series I've ever read.

Hm. I've considered giving it another shot, just not in any particular hurry (i'll wait for the next sale to continue on, i didn't actually hate the book). The characters outside of Peter just never came off as interesting to me despite the characterizations he gives them (i wouldn't call them one-dimensional or anything). the interplay between them also didn't feel convincing, like how Kris came around on Peter and joined the team. I don't need them to be likable, just be kinda compelling. I'll re-read it tho. I did like Harada's story however

while we're on Harbinger, did they ever find a consistent artist? first OHC was fill-in city

Hm. I've considered giving it another shot, just not in any particular hurry (i'll wait for the next sale to continue on, i didn't actually hate the book). The characters outside of Peter just never came off as interesting to me despite the characterizations he gives them (i wouldn't call them one-dimensional or anything). the interplay between them also didn't feel convincing, like how Kris came around on Peter and joined the team. I don't need them to be likable, just be kinda compelling. I'll re-read it tho. I did like Harada's story however

while we're on Harbinger, did they ever find a consistent artist? first OHC was fill-in city

Kris actually turns out to be my favorite Renegade by the end of it. The key thing about Kris is that she was caught in a bad situation once Peter came back into her life, but she never comes around to really trusting him again. It's a noticeably weird dynamic, especially when you consider the original 90s series had them as a couple until Kris died (that doesn't happen in this before you call spoilers). Kris' plots are actually very smartly written, as well. I absolutely love her.

I talked about that inconsistent art with... frye, I think. Basically, it's all uphill from the last few issues of the first OHC. Pere Perez, Clayton Henry, Barry Kitson, then to round up the series, Rafa Sandoval who's one of my favorite Valiant regulars for good reason.

Go easy on those first few issues art-wise. Khari Evans has improved a lot in a really short amount of time (I don't think he comes back to Harbinger after the first arc), and I think the second guy didn't work out for them anyway.

Kris actually turns out to be my favorite Renegade by the end of it. The key thing about Kris is that she was caught in a bad situation once Peter came back into her life, but she never comes around to really trusting him again. It's a noticeably weird dynamic, especially when you consider the original 90s series had them as a couple until Kris died (that doesn't happen in this before you call spoilers). Kris' plots are actually very smartly written, as well. I absolutely love her.

I talked about that inconsistent art with... frye, I think. Basically, it's all uphill from the last few issues of the first OHC. Pere Perez, Clayton Henry, Barry Kitson, then to round up the series, Rafa Sandoval who's one of my favorite Valiant regulars for good reason.

Go easy on those first few issues art-wise. Khari Evans has improved a lot in a really short amount of time (I don't think he comes back to Harbinger after the first arc), and I think the second guy didn't work out for them anyway.
I was there for that convo too! The art isn't all bad, those guys are mostly good but they'd rotate like every other issue and i'm not into that. That page is good though, i like it.

I've actually defended the first Khari Evans arc, it grew on me despite the faults

I was there for that convo too! The art isn't all bad, those guys are mostly good but they'd rotate like every other issue and i'm not into that. That page is good though, i like it.

I've actually defended the first Khari Evans arc, it grew on me despite the faults

Typically, they change artists after every arc and the guy from the first arc works on the following arc, so they're not overburdened. It's not abnormal to see new artists in every single arc, but from one issue to another or every other, it certainly is. So yeah, definitely not the norm for any series.

Stealth edit: obligatory congratulations Messi!
Hellboy is fantastic, hope you like it! I need to read the last two library editions myself.

Be sure to check out BPRD if you like the universe. It's also fantastic.
I like comics from multiple companies. Not a fan of comparing them tbh.
Same

Congrats again dude

Owzers

I treat comics like NFL power rankings, every month i rank both comic publishers and comics-gaf members to see who's on top.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Hmm I shit on companies for poor practices that it passes down to its creators, but no, I wouldn't shut out a series just because it's under a certain publisher.

Wanna shit on poor practices, I'm all for it. DC's friction with J.H. Williams III on Batwoman? Marvel letting Edmondson of all people tackle their Red Wolf solo book? Sure, fuck that. Reports of both of the big two protecting a handful of skeezy fuckbags? Double fuck that.

But I'm also not interested in getting into some list-war of which publisher is better or worse, boiling down to boring posts like "MARVEL STAYS LOSING" or "FUCK THE NU52, NEVER READING DC AGAIN!" I'd rather talk about creative teams making good shit (or not) than some broad commentary on line-wide publisher initiatives.

If upper management makes a move like actively trying to increase diversity among creators or actively choosing to go more hands-off on creators' works for the sake of pushing for creative storytelling, let's champion that. Good for them. But trying to quantify each publishers' value against another is pointless.

Resurrection of F was really good, even if my screening felt like sitting in Twitch chat. I felt really old, somebody even shouted SMOrc at one point. And I only had a minor panic attack before heading to the cinema, so that was good.

Now for comics.

Messi

Resurrection of F was really good, even if my screening felt like sitting in Twitch chat. I felt really old, somebody even shouted SMOrc at one point. And I only had a minor panic attack before heading to the cinema, so that was good.

Now for comics.

People were shouting stuff out? I hate that shit.

People were shouting stuff out? I hate that shit.

I wanted to say something, but I would bet a large sum of money I was the oldest person there and I didn't really want to draw attention to that. The dank reddit memes were out in force.

There were also two kids in my row calling the final fight like they were JR and the King and I was cracking up.

I don't know if I should spoiler tag this, but I will just to be on the safe side. Supposedly, in the latest issue of Lobo, the entire Red Lanterns run
has been retconned and reset to the status quo from the beginning of the New 52.
I don't read Lobo though, so I can't confirm if this is true or not.
That sounds weird, and it doesn't really make much sense. Then again I haven't read either series.
Things are looking up! Now I might finally open my DCBS box that contains Cyborg.

The lamest Titan.

I said it. I think Cyborg is boring.

Tizoc

I wanted to say something, but I would bet a large sum of money I was the oldest person there and I didn't really want to draw attention to that. The dank reddit memes were out in force.

There were also two kids in my row calling the final fight like they were JR and the King and I was cracking up.

I'm contemplating getting the bluray for 20 Pounds but am tight on money this month :X

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom